1. 1. What Metro are you closest to?

• Memphis/North Mississippi
    • Jackson
    • Gulf Coast (Biloxi/Gulfport)
    • Other

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good poll. I'm not in Mississipi anymore. I live in Washington, D.C., so if I answered, it would have to be "other." When I did live in Mississippi, we were about 2 hours or so from Jackson. Woodville, in Wilkinson County, is 36 miles south of Natchez and about 55 miles noerth of Baton Rouge.

There are actually only four census designated MSA's in Mississippi: The Biloxi/MS Gulf Coast MSA, the Hattiesburg MSA that includes Forrest and Lamar Counties, the Jackson MSA and the DeSoto County MSA. I am dead in the middle of the Hattiesburg MSA.

Oh, sorry, guys! I didn't even think to say anything else about it.

My wife has a fake fern in a glass hurricane lamp on a table out on our back patio. When I went to investigate the noise, I found that it was shattered on my back patio. But I don't understand it, because there was no wind and the thing is pretty heavily weighted down. We've had it sitting in the same spot for 6 months, and before we bought the house it sat on the same table on the back patio of our apartment with no problems. We have quite a few stray cats and wild animals out here, so I assume something jumped on the table and knocked it off. That's all I can figure... there is no other good scenario. But since it was nothing and I was very tired, I went on to bed.

I actually thought it was my wife breaking something at first, because just a couple minutes before it happened I heard something coming from that area of the house. I assumed she got out of bed and was having a midnight snack or something. But she wasn't. I woke her up when I ran into that room yelling, "What the HELL was that!?!?" She said about an hour after I finally went to sleep I sat straight up in the bed and woke her up asking the same question. I guess I was still a little jumpy after that incident.

We live in such a safe area, I never suspect the worst. When we lived in Shreveport, all someone had to do was look at me funny and I'd be suspicious of them. Out here, though, the only worry we have is that we're only about 1/4-mile off the interstate and near a truckstop where lots of drifters come through.

Sorry to disappoint! :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, when it first happened I didn't know what to think. All I could do was go running in there and start checking doors and windows. I could just picture someone breaking the glass in one of my doors to get in. But I always feel so safe out here... usually it's nothing more than a stray cat when I hear something.

I voted other because I'm 100 miles south of Minneapolis, which makes the Memphis-North Mississippi MSA my closest--a mere 730 miles.

But I was born in Memphis and lived there til I was 18.

I voted other because I'm 100 miles south of Minneapolis, which makes the Memphis-North Mississippi MSA my closest--a mere 730 miles.

But I was born in Memphis and lived there til I was 18.

Oh, what's 730 miles? Well, it's somewhere near the distance from Shreveport to Chicago, so ... you're just right down the street! It's a really, really long street, though! ;)

I am 2 1/2 hours from Jackson and a little less than that from Biloxi . It's close. I live in eastern Baton Rouge.

I'd have thought you were closer to Biloxi. I'm just down I-20 from Jackson but I'm still 3 hours away, the same distance I am from Dallas. But it's hard for me to place how far Baton Rouge is from certain places since I don't live there and am not used to judging distances based on that city. Of course I KNOW you're close to New Orleans.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are there really only 11 people in this Mississippi forum, if so that's sad!

Actually, its not. You have to rember that this is the only urban Mississippi forum on the 'net (at least that I'm aware of). And since its urban, there simply won't be as much for Mississippi since its very much an rural/agricultural state.

I'm generally impressed at the activity level here, though I am surprised there is not more interest in Gulport, since it is probably one of the largest urban revitalization projects in the country right now except for New Orleans.

• 2 months later...

Spartan

I agree with your assessment re: MS as an agricultural state, as our 2nd largest city has appx. 75k residents

There is, however, plenty of interest in the redevelopment of Gulfport and the rest of the Coast - Unfortunately, there's not many places one can access such information - If the Sun-Herald published something daily about G-port, I'd certainly post it here

I would really like to know more about what is going on in Gulfport. Brent Warr seems to have good ideas, yet almost nothing appears to be moving forward in Gulfport. The drawings I have seen look great, but what is the reality when one factors in the port and the DuPont chemical plant? Are these various entities holding things up? Why do I get the feeling that Warr is not quite prepared to deal with the onslaught which may overtake the area?

I would really like to know more about what is going on in Gulfport. Brent Warr seems to have good ideas, yet almost nothing appears to be moving forward in Gulfport. The drawings I have seen look great, but what is the reality when one factors in the port and the DuPont chemical plant? Are these various entities holding things up? Why do I get the feeling that Warr is not quite prepared to deal with the onslaught which may overtake the area?

Archived