Most Diverse area in the south

Newnan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's talking about social diversity. If that's it, then I would say Houston, Miami, Atlanta, and Dallas as the most diverse major cities. New Orleans is very diverse culturally, historically, architecturally, etc., but is not that socially diverse when compared to a city like Houston or Miami. Though with the influx of hispanic workers since Katrina, and the decline in blacks, the city's diversity is definately changing.

how about the most diverse area of your metro

Believe it or not, in the Shreveport-Bossier City metro, Bossier City is far more diverse than Shreveport. Bossier City has more non-traditional churches, more people of different nationalities, more business diversity, etc. It's nothing to be shopping somewhere in Bossier City and encounter numerous people speaking different languages, but in Shreveport it's not quite as common. South Shreveport seems more diverse than the rest of the city, but the city in general is lacking in diversity. The major diversity in Shreveport is black and white. The city is majority black.

anybody go to a school where numerous languages were spoke? At my school I hear English, and some Spanish. Not that big of a deal, but I know of Highschools in Gwinnett and parts of Dekalb where over 60 languages were spoke. I think it was 60.

- Houston has two chinatowns

- 3rd largest vietnamese population in the country after LA and San Jose

- many street signs are in Chinese and Vietnamese as well as English.

- Houston has the second highest South African population in the US after Miami, and also has a large Nigerian population.

- About 90 languages are frequently spoken in the Houston area.

- Houston has the third largest Hispanic population in the United States.

On an unrelated note, if anyone here ever goes to Houston, try the cajun food. You can find some awesome Red Beans and Rice there.

On an unrelated note, if anyone here ever goes to Houston, try the cajun food. You can find some awesome Red Beans and Rice there.

Red Beans and Rice is actually a Creole dish, but Houston definately has some good Cajun food available. Most people don't know it, but Houston has a pretty big concentration of Cajuns. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, many New Orleans residents seeked shelter at the Astrodome in Houston due to Hurricane Katrina. Im not sure if many are calling Houston home.

Many of the New Orleanians who were evacuated to Houston are now calling it home, and Houston is now having to deal with many of New Orleans' criminals and gangs who evacuated there. Though Katrina for the most part didn't affect a great deal of Cajuns in Louisiana, as New Orleans isn't a cajun city, and the majority of Acadiana or "Cajun Country" is located in central and south-west Louisiana. Though Rita caused some serious problems for that area.

One thing I've heard alot is "Houston has even more cajuns than Baton Rouge,LA." While in reality Baton Rouge, along with New Orleans, is not a cajun city at all as many around the country believe.

- Houston has two chinatowns

- 3rd largest vietnamese population in the country after LA and San Jose

- many street signs are in Chinese and Vietnamese as well as English.

- Houston has the second highest South African population in the US after Miami, and also has a large Nigerian population.

- About 90 languages are frequently spoken in the Houston area.

- Houston has the third largest Hispanic population in the United States.

:blink: wow. I knew about the 2 Chinatowns but the rest of this is just amazing. Definitely a world-class city.

Don't tell the owners of 'Popeye's' that.

I prefer their mashed potatoes and Cajun gravy anyway. I hate red beans and rice. Well, I like rice but I hate red beans.

Yea, Popeyes was one of the many New Orleans based restaurants and food chains to put emphasis on "Cajun Style" or "Cajun Recipe" while most of their sides are actually Creole. In the 80's when chef Paul Prudhomme of New Orleans became well known for his cajun cooking show and reicpes, many started thinking New Orleans, as well as all of its food was cajun. And this of course is not true. Tourists started coming to New Orleans looking for the food you actually find in central and SW Louisiana, and restaurant owners started editing and branding some of their dishes "Cajun" even is they were really Creole in orgin. The only thing Cajun about Popeyes' food is spicy chicken, which really doesn't mean anything. But hey I don't care, I still love the place. :D

Archived