Harley Medical Park

joeDowntown

The press had this to say about the new Harley Medical Park (at Cascade an I-96).

GRAND RAPIDS -- It is being touted as the largest facility of its kind to come to the city in more than a decade.

The two-story, 82,000 square foot Harley Medical Park building will be built at the former site of the Harley Hotel on Cascade Road near East Paris Avenue.

Construction crews will break ground on the $14 million property next week and finish their work in Spring 2007.

How can they say it is the largest facility of its kind in more than a decade? With all the medical going in this seems like small potatoes. Anyone got a rendering?

Joe

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The press had this to say about the new Harley Medical Park (at Cascade an I-96).

How can they say it is the largest facility of its kind in more than a decade? With all the medical going in this seems like small potatoes. Anyone got a rendering?

Joe

Yeah :huh: What city? Isn't that Cascade Township? If it's in the city of GR, the Lena Meijer Heart Center is bigger than 82,000 square feet. What about the Lack's Cancer Center? What about the other medical offices across Lafayette St from St Mary's?

The press had this to say about the new Harley Medical Park (at Cascade and I-96).

"The two-story, 82,000 square foot Harley Medical Park building will be built at the former site of the Harley Hotel on Cascade Road near East Paris Avenue.

Construction crews will break ground on the $14 million property next week and finish their work in Spring 2007."

That's on my way to work (and home). Ground has been being broken for, oh, three months already.

[note to "reduced lane ahead" cone and signage putter-outers: you are causing great good fun for us lane-blockers who straddle the stripe to prevent The Entitled from zipping down the right-hand lane. "Lane closed ahead? Oh, that doesn't apply to me. Someone will let me in."]

It's definitely still Grand Rapids. The thing that makes the statement interesting is that MMPC has two big buildings down the hill on East Paris. Those buildings both have to be well over 82,000 sq. feet and could constitute a "medical park".

Joe

Yeah :huh: What city? Isn't that Cascade Township? If it's in the city of GR, the Lena Meijer Heart Center is bigger than 82,000 square feet. What about the Lack's Cancer Center? What about the other medical offices across Lafayette St from St Mary's?

This is a BETA Design project. I don't know much about it since I wasn't involved in any of the design/cd phases, although I did put together a rendering of the lobby for the owner. Personally I don't think there is much architectural value to it. After all, it is a two-story sprawling suburban office building.

I think Jeff Hundley is involved with this. No idea when it's supposed to be finished, but they were clearing land when I went by yesterday (?).

I think its being developed by Jeffrey Hundley and Mark Finkelstein. The site is in Grand Rapids Township.

They've held that land for a very long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we now have this project on our website, I figure its probably safe to post a rendering.

The exterior perspective is poor. My boss put it together very quickly. Here is the image I did of the lobby...

harley_lobby.jpg

Nice work golscorer4! It's got to be frustrating working on such horrible looking projects (the full view on the website).

Fortunately I didn't have to work on the project at all, save for the 8 hours I put into that rendering. I try to be as vocal as I can about design and whatnot, but this one was done while I was still off at school. It was a developer project too, so really the only design that went into it seems to be choosing the brick colors and textures for the exterior.

I'm critical of a lot of architecture that happens in this town, and I won't spare the projects that come out of this office.

Archived