Arena Football in Greenville

Just ride up to Cesar's Head or Brevard on US-276 some sunny weekend day and you'll pass hundreds of them along the way. I'm not sure they're all from Greenville, though. I can only imagine the numbers of AKA's that are performed in trauma centers annually due to motorcycle accidents....or the numbers of head traumas due to no helmets being worn. :(

• 2 years later...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While out taking some photos Saturday, I ran into someone who mentioned that Greenville is supposedly getting a new Arena Football Team this coming spring (evidently relocating from Charlotte or Concord, NC, if I understood correctly). I don't have any other details, so it'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Press conference was held today announcing the new team: WYFF Story.

More information about the American Indoor Football Association (AIFA): http://www.aifaprofootball.com/

Team Web Site: http://www.carolinaforce.com/

The league was comprised of 16 teams in 2008:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

North

Reading, PA Express

Erie, PA River Rats

Baltimore, MD Mariners

Canton, OH Legends

East

Florence, SC Phantoms

Huntington, WV Heroes

Carolina (Charlotte, NC) Speed

Fayetteville, NC Guard

WESTERN CONFERENCE

South

Mississippi (Tupelo, MS) Mudcats

Columbus, GA Lions

Augusta, GA Colts

Florida (Fort Myers, FL) Stingrays

West

Wyoming (Casper, WY) Cavalry

Arizona (Tempe, AZ) Adrenaline

New Mexico (Rio Rancho, NM) Wildcats

Utah (Salt Lake City, UT) Saints

The article about the new Greenville team says that the league will be comprised of 16 teams again this year, so I suspect one (or more) of these teams has relocated? One appears to have relocated to Harrisburg, PA (Harrisburg Stampede) and the Utah Saints appears to have moved and been renamed the Utah Valley Thunder. Another (perhaps the Augusta Colts) has now apparently relocated to Greenville?

Why do you assume Augusta's team has moved? I thought you previously heard a rumor that the Charlotte team was moving to Greenville. It is the most logical as well, considering the "Carolina" part would remain intact. Might be a bit confusing to have two teams in the same small league with the title, "Carolina". Take that as only my opinion since I'm someone who doesn't know the facts yet. ;)

Edit: after checking the Carolina Speed website, it doesn't seem possible that they would be relocating from Charlotte before debuting there. They have been holding tryouts since September. I did discover a Carolina Storm team from the NAFL, which appears to be the league in which the Greenville Greyhounds play. The website I found for that league isn't very helpful, although I did find this link to a Carolina Storm team apparently from Charleston. That website was last updated in 2006 though.

Archived