Crowders Mountain

atownrocks

I have always wondered this so I am going to ask it. I don't know if you have all heard of Crowders Mountain, it is Gaston County, near Kings Mountain. I went to Crowders Mountain and it is really a cool place. But I have always wondered why you really don't hear to much about it. Like in Atlanta you have Kennesaw Mountian and Stone Mountain. we have Crowders and Kings. But when I went there, there were not many people there. Crowders is really neat there is a lot of rock climbing there and there are great views of Charlotte and the Blue Ridge Mountians. And also how come that area is not develped at all. It would be nice to see some develpments going up. I bet a lot of people in Charlotte don't even know Charlotte even has Moutians.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The state of NC has been gradually buying land near the base of the mountain and continues to do so.

I have driven the backroads around there - and honestly I don't think there are many places with good views of Kings or Crowder's. It only takes some nearby trees or rolling terrain to block out a 1500' mountain from land that's already 800' high.

It's still a fairly long drive from Charlotte even if you found a good homesite, and would involve commuting on 85 or 160 with everyone else. It's a lot to put up with, for a mountain view. :)

straight-shot, Crowder's Mountain is 26 miles from uptown Charlotte, and an even longer drive than that as MZT mentioned. It's a nice state park and everything though...

And I'm not sure if "Charlotte has mountains," because that's sort of misleading... "there are mountains 25 miles from Charlotte?"

Actually there are really good views of the mountain from I-85 approximately where Hwy 74 crosses it west of Gastonia. If the weather is clear, you can see the towers of downtown Charlotte from up there.

But I have always wondered why you really don't hear to much about it. Like in Atlanta you have Kennesaw Mountian and Stone Mountain. we have Crowders and Kings. ...... I bet a lot of people in Charlotte don't even know Charlotte even has Moutians.
See my response to this in the Latta Plantation thread. It applies here too.

• 1 year later...

Thought I would bump this thread with some pics after taking a day trip to Crowders this past Saturday. Its great to have Kings and Crowders so close. We left Charlotte after lunch, hiked (walked, its not rough terrain...) to the top, stayed up there for about 45 mins and were back in Charlotte by 4:30. I think I'll do this trip more often... :)

11-10-07

Not the clearest day, but the views were great none the less.

88877369.jpg

Notice the lines for the rock climbers.

88877372.jpg

:sick: disgusting...

88877374.jpg

Thats all I have uploaded for now, will post the rest if I get the chance.

Great pics, Mo, but you could have left that last one out.

Interesting tidbit of knowledge: the mountain almost bit the dust to mining for kyanite in the early 1970s. A group of Gaston County citizens successfully banded together to save it from destruction. It only became a state park in 1974 and Kings Pinnacle wasn't part of the park until 1987. We owe those folks a big thanks! It is a beautiful place.

Archived