Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

That is such a cool trail... I've been waiting for that one to open for as long as I can remember, since Fayetteville has talked about it for so long.

BTW, did anyone notice in that first pic the solar panel on top of the flashing signal post? Also, I'm not sure what that traffic control device is supposed to do... if you are on a bike, do you push that button, then the street facing signal flashes? Seems rather unusual, as cars have the right of way there i.e. cars won't yield anyway.

Oh yeah forgot to mention that after I went to the trouble of making sure to get that in the pic. It flashes the yellow lights. I don't think it gives the bikes or pedestrians right of way but it does at least let oncoming vehicles know someone is crossing. I still haven't seen it but we're supposed to have one that's operated by motion detector.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say I've ever heard of one single problem or crime related to the trail system. That's not to say I'd recommend going out late at night on them. Many of them are well lit at night, but not all of them. I have used them at night. To be honest the times I've been on them at night I don't tend to see anyone out on them. I'm pretty sure almost all activity happens in the daytime. But what Fayetteville seems to be really be trying to do is to provide a network of trail systems to allow people the option of getting around the city without a vehicle.

I can't say I've ever heard of one single problem or crime related to the trail system. That's not to say I'd recommend going out late at night on them. Many of them are well lit at night, but not all of them. I have used them at night. To be honest the times I've been on them at night I don't tend to see anyone out on them. I'm pretty sure almost all activity happens in the daytime. But what Fayetteville seems to be really be trying to do is to provide a network of trail systems to allow people the option of getting around the city without a vehicle.

Fayetteville may not have had any crimes committed on their trails yet, but there was a big deal in Bentonville about a woman who was assaulted on the North Bentonville Trail. The community demanded lights be installed on the trail for added security. The assault occurred at noon. Go figure.

Fayetteville may not have had any crimes committed on their trails yet, but there was a big deal in Bentonville about a woman who was assaulted on the North Bentonville Trail. The community demanded lights be installed on the trail for added security. The assault occurred at noon. Go figure.

There was a few reports of stalkers on the trails of Lake Atlanta in Rogers as well.

Didn't know other cities had had problems on their trails. There are some of Fayetteville's trails that aren't lit up. The Mudd Creek Trail doesn't have any lighting. I guess maybe Fayetteville has just been lucky so far or if something has happened I haven't heard about it so far. Walking around on the U of A campus at night seems to be more of a problem.

I saw an article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about the trail officially being finished. I also now know that it is called the Frisco Trail. Apparently the whole thing even down to the Mill District. Weird because I thought that was Scull Creek that flows within sight in some areas of the trail. I also thought I've heard of a Scull Creek Trail too. Anyone heard anything about a possible Scull Creek Trail?

I saw an article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times about the trail officially being finished. I also now know that it is called the Frisco Trail. Apparently the whole thing even down to the Mill District. Weird because I thought that was Scull Creek that flows within sight in some areas of the trail. I also thought I've heard of a Scull Creek Trail too. Anyone heard anything about a possible Scull Creek Trail?

I read an article about that about a month ago I think-- it said Scull Creek Trail would start soon I believe. I thought it was to run basically parallel to the railroad/creek from somewhere near UA/Dickson to Washington Regional. I thought it said that that project wouldn't include going under Fulbright (to get to Target, etc), but would be part of a future project (I think)... I'd be very interested in that one too.

I read an article about that about a month ago I think-- it said Scull Creek Trail would start soon I believe. I thought it was to run basically parallel to the railroad/creek from somewhere near UA/Dickson to Washington Regional. I thought it said that that project wouldn't include going under Fulbright (to get to Target, etc), but would be part of a future project (I think)... I'd be very interested in that one too.

Thanks for the info. I could be wrong but on one part of the Frisco trail there's a creek. When I looked it up I'm pretty sure I saw it listed as Scull Creek in that area. Anyway it will be nice to have that section done. Once you have Dickson to Washington Regional then it's getting pretty close to connecting to the Mudd Creek trail.

Thanks for the info. I could be wrong but on one part of the Frisco trail there's a creek. When I looked it up I'm pretty sure I saw it listed as Scull Creek in that area. Anyway it will be nice to have that section done. Once you have Dickson to Washington Regional then it's getting pretty close to connecting to the Mudd Creek trail.

Rogers has a Frisco Trail as well that runs through Lake Atlanta Park as well as part of the downtown area.

There's been more talk of the trail system in the news lately. Partially because of the new section recently opened. But also because of an upcoming vote seeking more funding for the trail system. I suppose it will still be built even if it's turned down but it will simply take years or decades longer. In today's Northwest Arkansas Times there's an article about it today. It also mentions someone for a group called Citizens 4 Fayetteville who's also pastor on one of the local churches. He says he's never been on the trail system and probably never will. I'm assuming this is mentioned because he in no way is interested in spending money on this trail system. I try to avoid responding to people's letter and such in the editorial. Even though it's been very tempting at times. But this was mentioned in the article itself and I feel the need to point out some things. First of all for the people who have absolutely no interest in ever using the trail system themselves. Even if you think it's a waste and such let me point out that other people do appreciate it and will like it. So why should you care? If this trail system is in place then there's a better chance people will use it and there will be fewer people on the road. So guess what that means you have a better chance of being able to move about the city in your vehicle more easily. I think there's more people who are interested in using the trail system once it's expanded in the future because they don't feel comfortable riding their bikes and such on the sides of some of the roads around here in Fayetteville. Second of all if people are going to start arguing about they won't ever use it so they don't want to pay for it. Maybe I don't hardly ever use Hwy 265 and don't think my tax money should be spend on a road that others have to use on a regular basis. So where are you going to stop that particular arguement? Anyway just wanted to remind people who don't use the trail system that having one in place will have advantages to everyone even if you don't plan on ever using it yourself.

Good points Mith. I don't really have a chance to use the trails but I don't mind a little money going towards them. If it keeps just a few cars out of my way on city streets, then it is probably worth a few bucks. The overall tax issue is more like 95% towards improving steets and 5% towards trails. That seems like a fair compromise to me.

Trails are also great for promoting a more health concious city and more importantly helps create a sense of community where people walk or ride bikes together. The distance we try to keep when driving our cars to work disappears on the trail. Anyone opposed to spending tax money on the city's trails is also opposed to the community's health and to the community itself.

I haven't seen any of Bentonville's trails. Concrete and asphalt each have their postive aspects. I never though about why Fayetteville hasn't built any concrete trails as opposed to asphalt.

Concrete is more expensive to do than asphalt.......

Thanks for that info. I wonder if Fayetteville simply took the asphalt route because of the costs. They can get more done for the same amount of money. Either that or they didn't even think of the concrete option.

I'm sure Fayetteville leaders considered concrete. One thing the comparison doesn't have that I read in the Bentonville Trail Master Plan is that most hikers and riders prefer asphalt over concrete for it's resiliency. Asphalt absorbs more impact from walking or jogging than concrete and over time asphalt actually adjusts to stress by becoming misshapen whereas concrete just cracks and becomes annoying if not dangerous to joggers. So Fayetteville may have gone with what people preferred over a more expensive but less desirable surface.

I'm sure Fayetteville leaders considered concrete. One thing the comparison doesn't have that I read in the Bentonville Trail Master Plan is that most hikers and riders prefer asphalt over concrete for it's resiliency. Asphalt absorbs more impact from walking or jogging than concrete and over time asphalt actually adjusts to stress by becoming misshapen whereas concrete just cracks and becomes annoying if not dangerous to joggers. So Fayetteville may have gone with what people preferred over a more expensive but less desirable surface.

That very well could be the case. That does make sense as well.

Here's a map of the Fayetteville Trail System I got while talking to the mayor. Hopefully this isn't too small, if so I can try to post a larger version. Or I can take a pic focusing on a particular area. Just ask if anyone is interested. The red are the completed sections. The blue are planned trails. As you can see on the map, there's a lot of blue and not a lot of red.

img4260sssi7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just to recap the news the bond for the Scull Creek Trail passed. I'm not sure what time frame we're looking at but I'm assuming work will eventually begin on it. It will connect the Frisco Trail and the Mudd Creek Trail. I'll eventually try to post a closeup of the Fayetteville trail system map showing this future trail.

Here's a closer up view of this particular section of the Fayetteville Trail System. The Scull Creek Trail is the major north-south trail on the lefthand side of the map. You can just barely see a part of the Frisco Trail to the south and the Mudd Creek Trail to the north. Both of those are in red because they've been completed.

img4458sstn0.jpg

There was an article in today's Northwest Arkansas Times with some info about the Scull Creek Trail. So far still not a lot of info on a timeline. It did mention that by this time next year it should be well under way with a completion date. Although I was hoping to hear something before then. Some of it will have to wait on some other projects like the Gregg St widening. I hadn't realized it but apparently some of it is already done near Washington Regional. But it also said it's not easy to access it right now because of the construction work going on at the hospital. It did also mention that they will be looking for a way to move pedestrians above or below North St. Two lane roads seem to just get a crosswalk but the larger streets so far have found access underneath by way of bridges. So far no bridges have been built but at some point that may change. Sounds like they are looking to put in something under the elevated Fulbright Expressway bridge or a lighted tunnel underneath the expressway.

Archived