Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

Cool, thanks for the update. I was wondering about the Lake Fayetteville-northwest. Wouldn't that place it in Springdale? I though the entire northern shore was Springdale. Now I just have to figure out where some of those newer sections are going to be. Although I guess I'm more looking forward to the additions that will be connected to what's already been done. The Frisco to to Wilson Park will be pretty nice. I'm also looking foward to when Mudd Creek will be connected to the Scull Creek and Frisco Trails.

The entire Lake Fayetteville city park is in Fayetteville. See www.faygis.org for city boundaries. Go to: City Maps, Planning, Master Street Plan. I don't know how up to date this is. A lot has changed in Fayetteville since 2000.

I think this Lake Fayetteville project is improvements to the dirt trail/rut that has been in existance. Last year they paved the north most part of the trail that runs on the edge of the park through the fields. (Thank you! I found the fields more taxing than the southeast side of the trail.)

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The entire Lake Fayetteville city park is in Fayetteville. See www.faygis.org for city boundaries. Go to: City Maps, Planning, Master Street Plan. I don't know how up to date this is. A lot has changed in Fayetteville since 2000.

I think this Lake Fayetteville project is improvements to the dirt trail/rut that has been in existance. Last year they paved the north most part of the trail that runs on the edge of the park through the fields. (Thank you! I found the fields more taxing than the southeast side of the trail.)

Okay maybe I'm not quite getting what you're saying. Is the Lake Fayetteville - Northwest a reference to just the city park or the actualy northwest shore of Lake Fayetteville. I know the city park is all in Fayetteville city limits but isn't the north shore of Lake Fayetteville actually in Springdale city limits?

Okay maybe I'm not quite getting what you're saying. Is the Lake Fayetteville - Northwest a reference to just the city park or the actualy northwest shore of Lake Fayetteville. I know the city park is all in Fayetteville city limits but isn't the north shore of Lake Fayetteville actually in Springdale city limits?

Within the boundaries of the park there is a trail that circles the entire lake. I think the 2006 northwest reference is probably identifying the improvements done to the part of the trail that starts at the parking lot at the west end of Lake Fayettevile Road (the road that runs east/west south of Lewis & Clark, north of the boat dock) and goes west around the top of the lake. That path was dirt and is now asphalt to approximately the gate at the south end of Powell. Once the trail goes into the woods I don't think they plan on disturbing the forest to pave any more of the trail.

Hope that helps and doesn't cause more confusion.

• 2 months later...

Looks like the city is having another ribbon cutting ceremony for a section of the Scull Creek Trail Thursday. I knew they had done a section around the hospital but it sounds like they've completed the section from the Fulbright Expressway to Gordon Long Park south of Washington Regional.

I went out to check out the new section of the Scull Creek Trail that opened recently. It's open but there's still work left to be done. I only saw one bench. They also don't have much of the fencing up, still all the plastic barriers to protect the creek. They're also going to be putting in some lighting as well. Not sure when all that's going to get done. I noticed much of this section is concrete rather than asphalt. Which means much of this could actually be under water during heavy rainfall. It does follow Scull Creek rather closely in most places. This section basically runs just south of Futrall down to Gordon Long Park across from Drake St. It also connects to the small trail near Washington Regional's pond and also the trails at Gordon Long Park. Not sure how they'll progress from Gordon Long Park. Their trails are very narrow. I'm not sure if they'll simply widen some of them or take a separate path southward. Anyway here's a map showing the general location of the trails. The red is the Scull Creek Trail and the blue ones are the smaller ones that connect to it that I mentioned. I'll post some pics later when I have time.

scullcreektrail2wh5.jpg

I went out to check out the new section of the Scull Creek Trail that opened recently. It's open but there's still work left to be done. I only saw one bench. They also don't have much of the fencing up, still all the plastic barriers to protect the creek. They're also going to be putting in some lighting as well. Not sure when all that's going to get done. I noticed much of this section is concrete rather than asphalt. Which means much of this could actually be under water during heavy rainfall. It does follow Scull Creek rather closely in most places. This section basically runs just south of Futrall down to Gordon Long Park across from Drake St. It also connects to the small trail near Washington Regional's pond and also the trails at Gordon Long Park. Not sure how they'll progress from Gordon Long Park. Their trails are very narrow. I'm not sure if they'll simply widen some of them or take a separate path southward. Anyway here's a map showing the general location of the trails. The red is the Scull Creek Trail and the blue ones are the smaller ones that connect to it that I mentioned. I'll post some pics later when I have time.

I suspect that the Scull Creek trail continueance south will rely on some design and construction easements created by the expansion and reconstruction of Gregg Avenue.

The trail has to cross west over Gregg at some point. Perhaps the redesign of Gregg from Township north will allow this crossover and from there on its pretty smooth sailing all the way to Wilson Park.

I expect that this trail will do much to improve property values and spur development in the industrial/ college apartment area between Gregg and Garland where it will run.

This trail system is going to be quite a city ammenity when its substantially complete, and people will naturally want to live nearby access points to take advantage of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that the Scull Creek trail continueance south will rely on some design and construction easements created by the expansion and reconstruction of Gregg Avenue.

The trail has to cross west over Gregg at some point. Perhaps the redesign of Gregg from Township north will allow this crossover and from there on its pretty smooth sailing all the way to Wilson Park.

I expect that this trail will do much to improve property values and spur development in the industrial/ college apartment area between Gregg and Garland where it will run.

This trail system is going to be quite a city ammenity when its substantially complete, and people will naturally want to live nearby access points to take advantage of it.

I hadn't thought about it having to cross over Gregg at some point.

Scull Creek trail will take a while to complete. There are several issues: the tough job of negotiating all the easements from different property owners, the sewer project (in some places the trails parallel the sewer lines- no sense in creating the trail now just to tear it up when the sewer is updated) and the Gregg Street redo. The north end of the Scull creek trail will go under the Fulbright Freeway in a 10

The plan is for the trail to go under Gregg Street near the south end of the Gordon Long park following the creek bridges.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that might be the route it took. They seem to follow creeks and have the trail go under the bridge.

Oh yeah here's a couple of shots I took in Gordon Long Park. It sounds like the Scull Creek Trail will eventually encompass part of this park's trail system. In the first pic you can see Gregg St in the background. Pre-widening of course.

gordonlongtrail01aq4.jpg

gordonlongtrail02sz7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news for trail users. Even though we'll be opening up more trail along the Scull Creek trail this year it also looks like we'll be losing the Mudd Creek Trail for a year. I don't have proof on that, just what a couple of people told me on the trail. Although I can saw it's shut down directly behind the future P&G Offices and doesn't look like it's going to reopen anytime soon from what I saw. The other bad news is that's it's not going to look the same once it reopens either. Looks like they're putting in a lot of pipework and they've clearcut a number of areas between the trail and the creek. I suppose more areas could be cut as well in the future.

muddcreektraildeforestanw3.jpg

Why would they close a section of that trail I wonder for a year? Utility and/or earthwork?

Yeah I guess you could call it utility work. I guess they're going to end up laying down pipe all along this section of the trail. But like I said, it's not anything official just what I've heard.

• 3 weeks later...

Why would they close a section of that trail I wonder for a year? Utility and/or earthwork?

I do know that one of the original bridges on east Mud Creek trail, the one just east of Front Street behind the title company, is not up to specs (too steep and narrow for ADA?) and has been on the plan to be replaced. During the summer/fall of 2006 I also noticed lots of major digging work at the Mud Creek east trailhead by Old Missouri Rd and similar work just southeast of the former Ryan's restaurant. The workers were frequently on-site until dark. The plethora of pipe staged near the new P&G offices suggests serious utility work. I wonder if this work is related to rerouting the sewer flow with the new west Fayetteville waste water treatment plant? I know some of the trail growth on the west side of Fayetteville is contingent on sewer routes being completed prior to trails being completed. I

I do know that one of the original bridges on east Mud Creek trail, the one just east of Front Street behind the title company, is not up to specs (too steep and narrow for ADA?) and has been on the plan to be replaced. During the summer/fall of 2006 I also noticed lots of major digging work at the Mud Creek east trailhead by Old Missouri Rd and similar work just southeast of the former Ryan's restaurant. The workers were frequently on-site until dark. The plethora of pipe staged near the new P&G offices suggests serious utility work. I wonder if this work is related to rerouting the sewer flow with the new west Fayetteville waste water treatment plant? I know some of the trail growth on the west side of Fayetteville is contingent on sewer routes being completed prior to trails being completed. I

I drove by this area the other day, and it looked like they were putting a road in this area. Is it just pipes? It looks like it is going to connect Mall Ave by Noodles to the dead end street by the former Fire Mountain (Ryans).

Now on that side of the trail yes I believe they are going to connect those roads. I had forgotten about that. I'm guessing they'll have to build a bridge for that road to cross over Mudd Creek. Maybe they'll put the trail under that eventual street as well near the bridge.

Now on that side of the trail yes I believe they are going to connect those roads. I had forgotten about that. I'm guessing they'll have to build a bridge for that road to cross over Mudd Creek. Maybe they'll put the trail under that eventual street as well near the bridge.

I don't know that they will connect it to the dead end there on Van Ashe though (by Red Robin). They might but I really think that it would be much too expensive to build a bridge there just to connect that area of restaurants. Especially since they are putting this other access road in.

I don't know that they will connect it to the dead end there on Van Ashe though (by Red Robin). They might but I really think that it would be much too expensive to build a bridge there just to connect that area of restaurants. Especially since they are putting this other access road in.

I thought I heard something about connecting it to the curve over by the Olive Garden. But I'm not sure if I ever heard that this was a done deal. I thought they were just talking about it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gregg Ave is closed this week from Sunbridge to Appleby so that they can replace the Gregg Ave / Scull Creek bridge. This is where the Scull Creek trail will cross under Gregg to continue south. Progress!!

Yes, I can't wait to see how the trail connection to Gordon Long Park works out here. This is the major hold up for getting the Scull Creek trail really going.

Archived