Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

The neat thing about the tunnel under Fulbright is that because of the curve in it you can't see one end from the other- makes it seem longer and more of an adventure going into it. That and the fact that you can hear people at the other end as clear as if they were ten feet away- children really get a kick out of that.

I also hope vandalisim doesn't become a problem- it would be worth putting extra patrols on the trail and prosecuting the vandals to the fullest extent as an example to others.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's see, I'm come across some bits of info. Apparently the Scull Creek Trail idea come about around 30 years ago. Someone wanted to create a path linking the U of A to apartments and houses and also to some businesses to the north of campus. The city will eventually get the new bridge on Mudd Creek Trail after the finishing touches happen for the Scull Creek trail. Not sure how long that will take. They still don't have lights of benches along a large stretch of the Scull Creek trail. The city also plans to repave a section of the Mudd Creek Trail as well. I'm assuming it will be the section near the P&G offices that is in bad shape. This will also happen after the Scull Creek Trail is finished. Looks like officially the Scull Creek Trail starts near the underpass with the railroad just west of Wilson Park. Then the completed section south of that is officially the Frisco Trail.

Unfortunately yet another light has been busted out on the Scull Creek Trail. This time though instead of by Washington Regional it's down around the U of A Agri area. Instead of having the glass covers on the lights I guess the city needs to look into having some sort of shatter resistant plastic. Although I have no idea how many of these lights the city already has on hand. It's a shame that it looks like it's going to have to come down to that since someone feels they have to vandalize the trail system. :angry:

Springdale's Planning Commission approved plans for a couple of trails. Now it goes to Springdale's City Council. The idea is to possibly have two north-south trails running through the city. One of the trail ideas, is to put a trail along side of the railroad tracks. A bit like what Fayetteville has done. Although I'm really not sure what Springdale what do where the railroad tracks cross above Hwy 71 in the south part of the city. A trail along the railroad tracks could connect up to the Scull Creek trail in Fayetteville. It also sounds like Springdale would do their trails a bit differently than Fayetteville. They would probably be a lot more 'urban' and run alongside of streets and sidewalks.

Reading about Springdale's plans also made me come across something about Fayetteville. Apparently they have a 99 year lease along the sections of trails near the railroad tracks. But if there were any changes, like if a light rail system came about. That could cancel the deal and Fayetteville could have to give up that right of way. Granted even if light rail idea does actually come about it will be quite a way off in the future. It also doesn't mean Fayetteville automatically loses the right of way but it's possible.

Saw the team working on the trail system doing some work around the tunnel underneath Gregg St on the Scull Creek Trail. Maybe the lights there will get turned on in the near future. I'd noticed the two lights inside the short tunnel. Not sure if the others are new or if I just hadn't seen them. But I noticed two more lights today under and near the railroad tracks.

Springdale's Planning Commission approved plans for a couple of trails. Now it goes to Springdale's City Council. The idea is to possibly have two north-south trails running through the city. One of the trail ideas, is to put a trail along side of the railroad tracks. A bit like what Fayetteville has done. Although I'm really not sure what Springdale what do where the railroad tracks cross above Hwy 71 in the south part of the city. A trail along the railroad tracks could connect up to the Scull Creek trail in Fayetteville. It also sounds like Springdale would do their trails a bit differently than Fayetteville. They would probably be a lot more 'urban' and run alongside of streets and sidewalks.

Reading about Springdale's plans also made me come across something about Fayetteville. Apparently they have a 99 year lease along the sections of trails near the railroad tracks. But if there were any changes, like if a light rail system came about. That could cancel the deal and Fayetteville could have to give up that right of way. Granted even if light rail idea does actually come about it will be quite a way off in the future. It also doesn't mean Fayetteville automatically loses the right of way but it's possible.

You know.....when I read about Springdale's plans I got the feeling that they are planning on mapping out a path using the streets and sidewalks and calling it a urban trail- sort of a trail system the cheap way and not anything like Fayetteville is doing (and hopefully has no plans to do).

You know.....when I read about Springdale's plans I got the feeling that they are planning on mapping out a path using the streets and sidewalks and calling it a urban trail- sort of a trail system the cheap way and not anything like Fayetteville is doing (and hopefully has no plans to do).

I've been trying to figure out as well. If they used the railroad then they'd have to be making their own trail. But from what I read it also sounded like they might simply try to widen a sidewalk and call that a trail as well. I guess it's better than nothing but I don't think it will be set up like Fayetteville unfortunately.

Looks like lampposts are going up along the Scull Creek Trail along Gordon Long Park. So soon there should be a long stretch of lighted area on the northern part of the trail. Some progress is also being made on North St. I noticed two lanes of traffic closed as they shift the lanes over to make a pedestrian island to help people cross.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I'm back from vacation I've noticed the lights are up on the Scull Creek Trail around Gordon Long Park. But I don't think they're actually working yet. The pedestrian island on North St seems to have come along pretty well also this past week. Although it looks like they still need to move the north sidewalk back, there's only one west bound lane open right now. I also take it there must not have been hardly any rain while I was gone. The tunnel under Appleby is actually passable by foot again. Seems like it's been a month or so since that's happened. But it's still Spring so more rain is going to happen.

Yea, it was 80+ deg with 20% humidity and 30 mile an hour winds for several days in a row...a LOT of stuff dried out.

Yeah I noticed it warmed up over here as well. It was pretty warm out west as well. But after being out west it feels so humid here now. Guess it will take me a little bit to get used to it again. :lol:

Yeah I noticed it warmed up over here as well. It was pretty warm out west as well. But after being out west it feels so humid here now. Guess it will take me a little bit to get used to it again. :lol:

Yea, the humidity switch flipped Thursday night into Friday. Went from dry as Phoenix to more humid than Florida (seriously, check out their crazy weather) in a day.

Since there are 4 tunnels under Appleby it seems like they could raise the level of the one the trail uses with no problem. The one on the far east side needs cleaning out and could carry more water if that is the problem.

Every time I use a different section of trail I'm amazed at the amount of tree damage from the ice storm. It interesting how limbs that broke but are still attached are leafing out like nothing happened. There are trees that were uprooted and are just as green as if that was their normal way to grow. There's still a lot of cleanup to be done, especially the debris in the creeks that will cause flooding.

Since there are 4 tunnels under Appleby it seems like they could raise the level of the one the trail uses with no problem. The one on the far east side needs cleaning out and could carry more water if that is the problem.

Every time I use a different section of trail I'm amazed at the amount of tree damage from the ice storm. It interesting how limbs that broke but are still attached are leafing out like nothing happened. There are trees that were uprooted and are just as green as if that was their normal way to grow. There's still a lot of cleanup to be done, especially the debris in the creeks that will cause flooding.

Yeah I've wondered why they haven't considered raising the floor of the trail there as well. I realize you want to have plenty of space and not have a potential low head spot. But it seems they could raise the floor a bit without any problems of that. I'm also trying to figure out what's happening with the North St pedestrian island. They have one of the west bound lanes blocked off and it looks like there's not enough room the way it's currently stripped. But it looks like the sidewalk has already been pushed back. Maybe they'll just re stripe it and make the lanes narrower. But I don't think they had to do that on the other side. I wasn't here during most of the process. I almost wonder if someone made a mistake and didn't widen it enough.

• 2 weeks later...

A trail system in Springdale hasn't made any progress yet. In fact now it seems like they have to decide what to call it exactly. Because of 'procedural technicalities' some city officials are trying to change it from a 'master trail plan' to a 'trail system concept'. In the original proposal there was a clause for developers to have to set aside land for trails. But it's apparently already been taken out. Although it sounds like the language used in the clause might have been the problem. If it does proceed as a 'trail system concept' hopefully it will eventually become a 'master trail plan'. It seems that funding for am actual plan and not a concept would work much better. Sam Goade the Springdale Public Works Director has applied for a grant through the AHTD. It would help set up a trail in southeast Springdale near Ramsey Lane off the Don Tyson Parkway and connect up to the Lake Fayetteville Trail system.

Looks like Springdale will be starting the whole process over. That way things can be all done officially correct in trying to get a master trail plan going. Probably the best way to go, even if it means a bit of a delay in the beginning.

I read somewhere that it looks like they are going to repave the portion of North St where the Scull Creek Trail crosses it. I guess until then the one side will remain one lane till then. I also read that there's an average of 2,000 people using the Fayetteville Trail System a day. Not sure where those figures come from but nice to see. I use it often and notice a number of people out but never knew how many people were using on average.

Looks like Fayetteville will be updating their Fayetteville Alternative Transportation and Trail Plan. It's been 5 years since it was adopted and there's been some changes since then. Looks like the city will be making an extension to the Mudd Creek Trail. The city received a grant for the federal government to make a connection between the Old Missouri Rd Bridge just a bit east of the Mudd Creek Trail and over to Sweetbriar Dr. I'll post a map a little later to show the detail. Apparently that's the biggest request made by Fayetteville citizens for the trail system. On the map it looks like a pretty small addition. Guess a lot of people who live in the streets just south and east of Old Missouri/Mudd Creek want better access to the Mudd Creek Trail. Looks like the city is also looking for a grant to create an Oak Ridge Trail which would connect the Frisco Trail to the University. The idea is to create a trail on the north side of Center St west of the Frisco Trail over to the Duncan Ave Apartments. Then it would connect up to a section of trail already completed by the university. The trail will end at Garland Ave, although the university would like to extend it over to Razorback Stadium at some point. I wasn't aware the university had already completed a section of trail over by the Duncan Ave Apartments. Guess I'll have to take a look over there next time I'm out on the Frisco Trail. Once again, I'll add some maps to show these possible additions. Also it sounds like the city is asking people to provide feedback on the Parks and Recreation section of the city's website for the next month. I'd also like to see people make some suggestions they'd like to see here as well. I'm curious to see what people are wanting to see in the trail system.

Okay here's a couple of maps for the two trails I mentioned earlier. Now I don't know the exact path the trails will take so I just mainly followed the roads.

faymuddcreektrailextens.jpg

fayfriscotrailextension.jpg

I also forgot to mention earlier it sounds like they will be have more paved trail around Lake Fayetteville. The city will be adding almost 1.5 miles of paved trail to extend to the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks. Right now the paved section of trail is mainly along the west end of the lake. There will also be a 140 ft single span bridge over Clear Creek and would be the longest single span bridge. Eventually the city will put in a paved trail all around the lake. The cool thing is that they plan on leaving some of the dirt trail circling the lake that exists now. So people have more than one option. In a few weeks the city will begin doing some work on the Mudd Creek Trail. They'll finally put in the new bridge to substitute that odd shaped wooden bridge and also repair some bad sections of trail near the P&G offices. Sounds like they're also going to have an extension of trail in that general area extend down to near Panera Bread. Maybe they're trying to get rid of that little section where the trail has to follow the edge of the road across the bridge.

Looks like the motion detector and lights will be working at the Sycamore crossing of the Scull Creek Trail soon. They were working on it when I went by today. I've also noticed quite a few signs being put up on the Scull Creek Trail just the past week or so. They're moving on to redoing some of the Mudd Creek trail in a couple of weeks. That was supposed to happen after they did the final touches for the Scull Creek trail. But it still seems like there's a lot of lights to put in and for that matter there's not hardly any benches in most stretches of the Scull Creek Trail. But I seem to recall last year they running behind because they ran out of lampposts. On another note, for quite a while there was a big buildup of debris on the Scull Creek a bit north of Poplar. It caused quite a bit of water to shift westward right next to the trail. It looks like the heavy rains recently finally broke down that dam. But I get the feeling some of it may have simply built up a bit downstream. I noticed sections of the trail further north by the U of A Agri area look like they've been under water. Some of those areas I don't recall seeing under water before. I've also noticed debris building up again under Appleby causing more flooding problems at the tunnel there. I wonder if they've consider raising the trail there. Seems like if they raised it 4-6 inches there'd still be enough room for people and help cut down on so much of the flooding there. You could put up a curb or barrier there to help keep Scull Creek from flowing in. But you also wouldn't have anywhere for rainwater to go either that would naturally collect on the trail. Seems the only option would be to raise it.

I checked out what sounds like will become the eventual Oak Ridge Trail. It's not too far from the intersection of Center St and the Frisco Trail. The only thing I wonder about is where the room for it will come from. Looks to me it will basically just have to be a widened sidewalk along the road. To me it would seem to be a bit of a problem along the southern edge of the Evergreen Cemetery. There's an old stone wall there that would have to come down. The only other option I see is basically narrowing down the road quite a bit at that location. I saw what the U of A has done for their section. Basically it's just where the Duncan Ave Apartments are. The trail runs basically behind and partially through part of the complex. Not too bad of a trail. The only thing I saw was that at one spot there's stairs. If you had a bicycle you'd probably have to take one of the sidepaths off and then ride the sidewalk. Not really sure where they'll go next. It's supposed to eventually connect up to Garland Ave and then possibly to Razorback Stadium. The big parking garage is a bit in the way though. Seems to me they'd have to put the trail around it, basically ending up with a wider sidewalk. At least that's what it looks like to me.

fayoakridgetrail.jpg

I think that I can answer a few of the questions as to what the University is planning on doing. The U of A planning website is pretty good about updating all of their new info.

Here it is in PDF form. Not sure if there is come way that I can make it an image, so you will just have to go there.

http://planning.uark.edu/campus_planning/c.../growthplan.pdf

The yellow dash line is where the trail is planned. The trail will continue from the Duncan Apartments along California Ave., through the new "green" section of campus to Razorback Stadium. Once they tear down Buch Droke and Gladson Rip, there will be created a natural barrier, through which the trail will run, between the main section of campus and the "Athletic Valley" . As you can see, they also want to create a trail that runs from just south of Bud Walton, through the gardens, crossing 6th (how, I have no idea) and end somewhere to the south. (Is there another trail there already?)

I think that I can answer a few of the questions as to what the University is planning on doing. The U of A planning website is pretty good about updating all of their new info.

Here it is in PDF form. Not sure if there is come way that I can make it an image, so you will just have to go there.

http://planning.uark.edu/campus_planning/c.../growthplan.pdf

The yellow dash line is where the trail is planned. The trail will continue from the Duncan Apartments along California Ave., through the new "green" section of campus to Razorback Stadium. Once they tear down Buch Droke and Gladson Rip, there will be created a natural barrier, through which the trail will run, between the main section of campus and the "Athletic Valley" . As you can see, they also want to create a trail that runs from just south of Bud Walton, through the gardens, crossing 6th (how, I have no idea) and end somewhere to the south. (Is there another trail there already?)

I see now. I had assumed the trail would keep following the small trail at the Duncan Ave Apartments. But that appears to just be a spur off of it. Looks like the University owns all the land north and west of the Evergreen cemetery, didn't realize that. Looks like once the city gets the trail past the cemetery the University will take over. Looks like that house there will be disappearing in the near future. Although no idea what type of timetable this has. The University tends to not sit around and get developments and such done quickly though. Anyway thanks for the info and link.

Well for everyone frustrated by the Scull Creek Trail being flooded underneath Appleby, good news. Apparently in about a week they will be raising the level of the trail a foot. Hopefully this will help keep the trail from flooding so much. I've been sending suggestions and emails to our Trails Coordinator, Matt Mihalevich. He's been very helpful in responding to all my questions. One thing I've learned is that the Sidewalk and Trails Task Force meet every other month where they discuss and prioritize what they'll be working on. Citizens responses and suggestions play a big role in what gets worked on next. So if you want something worked on make sure you go over to the city's website and make some suggestions. :D Let's see, I knew the city was applying for a grant for the Oak Ridge Trail off of the Frisco Trail over to the University. They won't get a response back for 6-8 months so don't expect any work to be done anytime real soon. I had read something a little while back about the city working on a trail spur or extension of the Mudd Creek Trail down to around Panera Bread. But maybe I misread what was in the newspaper, Matt Mihalevich says they are just making improvements to the Front St bridge where the trail goes north-south before heading east-west again. Not sure what the newspaper was referring to. The city is still in negotiations with a property owner to eventually try to connect both sections of the Frisco Trail together. They are hoping to have things worked out and try to work on that section later this year.

Archived