Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

Shouldn't come as a big surprise big with the heavy rainfall yesterday the north end of the Fulbright Expressway tunnel is flooded again. Although not as bad as it was the other week. But as another note, if you're going to check out the Lake Fayetteville Trail, the new extension hasn't had the grass grow in just yet. So parts of the extension are a bit muddy.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the Hogeye Marathon will be using the Fayetteville Trail part of this upcoming Sunday. I didn't see details on the exact time. But be on the lookout if you're planning on using the trails on Sunday.

I need to make a correction. I obviously didn't pay enough attention to the signs. The Hogeye Marathon is this coming Sunday on the 11th. Not yesterday as I thought. :blush: Thought it was sorta odd for them to have it on Easter Sunday.

First of all I just wanted to mention something I saw on the trail today. I've seen quite a few birds and squirrels, no big surprise there. I've even seen some rabbits. But today I saw my first muskrat. It was eating on something literally right next to the trail. Just a little off of Steele Ave. Sorta surprised me.

But now on to info on the trail system. Looks like they're planning on being finished with the Mud Creek Trail extension by the end of April. Then at the beginning of May they hope to move on to connecting the sections of the Frisco Trail. But apparently there's still talks with a couple of property owners there. But they're hoping to have everything worked out by May. After that some design work will be done on the Oak Ridge Trail I mentioned last year. It will extend westward off of the Frisco Trail and towards the U of A. Then later in the year they hope to start working on the trail that will cut across the U of A Agri area.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention this earlier. Looks like Bentonville is going to go the Fayetteville route. The Walton Foundation is putting up money so that Bentonville can hire a Trail Planner position. I'm assuming the job will be very similar to what Fayetteville's Trail Coordinator does. Bentonville already seems to be taking the whole trails idea pretty seriously. Overall Bentonville probably has been second only to Fayetteville. But with the deep pockets up in Benton County, Bentonville could start really giving Fayetteville a run for it's money. But it sounds like we'll at least have two NWA cities with well organized trail systems. Rogers seems to be getting on board as well. With of course Springdale being near the back as far as the major NWA cities go. Although if you include Bella Vista, at least Springdale is making some moves. I don't think Bella Vista has even thought much about the trail idea. Although I suppose Bella Vista's topography might also make it one of the more challenging as well.

Exactly what I expected to happen is happening- I was driving north on Old Missouri Road at the the Mud Creek bridge, which has been narrowed for the trail extension, and a southbound truck came over into my lane and squeezed my vehicle over to the far edge of the bridge. This was during daylight hours and the truck was not speeding- the bottlenck just has that effect on drivers, especially since all the trail width was taken from the southbound side. The City has taken a safe bridge and turned it into a traffic hazard and put drivers and trail users at risk.

As a money saving measure the trail lights will turned off between 11 PM and 5:30 AM now. AS expected there is some backlash but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable idea- a lot of the trail system doesn't have lights anyway. When revenues are back up they can be left on all night but during this bad period this beats cutting back on trail maintainence.

The Mud Creek Trail extension looks to be complete- I'd like to put up a video camera to record how it affects traffic flow and the safety of drivers and trail users alike. I don't think we have heard the last of problems at the street level crossing or the narrowing of the bridge.

As a money saving measure the trail lights will turned off between 11 PM and 5:30 AM now. AS expected there is some backlash but it doesn't seem like an unreasonable idea- a lot of the trail system doesn't have lights anyway. When revenues are back up they can be left on all night but during this bad period this beats cutting back on trail maintainence.

Yeah when we're starting to talk about city officials having to take a little time off, it's reasonable to cut back a bit on the lights. It may be an inconvenience for a few. But we're also talking about the times it's going to be the least used.

I still haven't driven that stretch of Old Missouri near the Mud Creek Trail extension yet. But I did observe some traffic while I was on the trail this morning. Overall I think there's enough room for traffic on Old Missouri. I could see a problem if you happened to be on the bridge with a big truck on the other side. But there is that habit tat I've seen a few people have about judging distances on the side of their vehicle. I did see a couple of vehicles edging over to the other side of the lane on the inside of the curve. But there was plenty of room actually on the side. I think some people have a hard time judging distance on the passenger side of the vehicle. But at both times there wasn't northbound traffic so maybe the drivers were being 'lazy' and simply cutting the curve a bit. Ironically the trail really doesn't go too far. It crosses Old Missouri and then ends at the first driveway on the other side. There had been a lot of requests for this though. I guess it makes it easier for people living on the east side of Old Missouri to walk to the Mud Creek Trail. It eventually will be a more pivotal link as that will eventually extend over to Gulley Park. Hopefully drivers will get used to new layout and there won't be too many problems.

I still haven't driven that stretch of Old Missouri near the Mud Creek Trail extension yet. But I did observe some traffic while I was on the trail this morning. Overall I think there's enough room for traffic on Old Missouri. I could see a problem if you happened to be on the bridge with a big truck on the other side. But there is that habit tat I've seen a few people have about judging distances on the side of their vehicle. I did see a couple of vehicles edging over to the other side of the lane on the inside of the curve. But there was plenty of room actually on the side. I think some people have a hard time judging distance on the passenger side of the vehicle. But at both times there wasn't northbound traffic so maybe the drivers were being 'lazy' and simply cutting the curve a bit. Ironically the trail really doesn't go too far. It crosses Old Missouri and then ends at the first driveway on the other side. There had been a lot of requests for this though. I guess it makes it easier for people living on the east side of Old Missouri to walk to the Mud Creek Trail. It eventually will be a more pivotal link as that will eventually extend over to Gulley Park. Hopefully drivers will get used to new layout and there won't be too many problems.

One way that the bridge narrowing will cause problems is when southbound drivers are distracted by trail users and drift over into the northbound lane. There have been studies showing that drivers being distracted is a major cause of accidents - this is needless distraction that could have been avoided very easily. It might have cost more and taken a little longer but would have been a much better long term plan. The further extension to Gulley Park will add more trail users and more risk and congestion to the crossing area. The plans for a total of 129 miles of trails in the city will lead to more of these situations.

Forcing motor vehicles and trail users to share the same space on roadways built for motor vehicle use only is a mistake that puts both at risk. In an accident, pedestrians and bicylists have no chance against a 1,000 pound and up moving mass of metal. Although the driver may not be at as much at risk physically the emotional trauma from running down a person is huge and scarring. The City's policy of using street level crossings and road edges not built as bike lanes will lead to more these type accidents and needs to be changed.

I won't say I'm not concerned, but I'm not too worried about the future trail system plan. Fayetteville isn't the first city to come along with this type of trail system. I'm not going to say there won't be problems but I think people will adapt to it. The city has already mentioned a bridge or tunnel will be used for Garland on the future U of A Agri trail. I think North St was the exception. I think future trails that cross major streets will end up going above or below the street. The trail system plan shows some crossings with College Ave at some point in the future. I seriously doubt they would do this without a bridge or tunnel. 129 miles does seem like a lot, but it going to take decades for that to get built. Assuming they don't change their mind at some point. I don't think all of this is set in stone and I imagine things will change especially as Fayetteville changes in the upcoming decades. I understand there being some concerns, but I don't think the trail system will be as problematic as it may seem.

Looks like the city added a few touches to the extended Lake Fayetteville Trail section. Adding some benches and some maps. Although they still haven't done anything to the older sections of the trail. I mentioned this on the Fayetteville topic, but figured I should mention it here as well. Looks like Fayetteville is getting two new bicycle shops both very close to the Mud Creek Trail. The Bicycle Route is already open and just north of Panera Bread on Front St. The second one will be Trek Bicycle across the street from Noodles on Mall Ave. Both very close to the Mud Creek Trail. Too bad this didn't happen a year ago when I was looking for a new bicycle. But I guess I can't complain. I'm pretty happy with what I got, but a little more selection might have been nice.

Fayetteville is applying to be a 'bicycle-friendly community'. Fayetteville tends to be a leader in the state with this type of thing but actually has fallen behind a bit. North Little Rock already has the designation and it sounds like some other Arkansas cities have already looked into it. Sounds like the whole process is a bit time consuming but I would think the city would be able to achieve the designation. The application process ends in July.

I haven't actually seen it but it sounds like the city has already started work on connecting that southern part of the Frisco Trail with the rest of the trail system between Maple and Spring St. I haven't heard how long the process is expected to take. I'm a bit curious to see how the trail will fit in around Maple St. That area seems pretty tight between the drop off to the railroad and the surrounding buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

While reading about extending Van Asche westward to Garland I also read something about putting in a trail on the south side of the street. This is news to me. I haven't heard any mention of this before and it's not listed on the Trail System Master Plan. The street extension might not even start construction for a couple of years. So there's plenty of time to figure things out. But I'm guessing that if they're going to put a trail on the south side they might as well try to extend it back east over to the Scull Creek Trail near Steele Ave. The only problem I could see is that it would have to cross the railroad tracks and Gregg. Although those two things could cause some problems.

The trails are an amazing asset to this community! We just rode our bikes from downtown to Panera and back. What a fun, great way to see another side of our town! When you see all of the housing that abuts them, one can see how it could be possible to ride a bike or walk to work every day. Great asset!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the section of the Frisco Trail between Spring and Dickson is coming along pretty well. Concrete is down and other sections has gravel down ready to have asphalt laid down. Although I'm sorta wondering if they'll mark the trail in that southern section of the parking lot. It just sorta stops and starts back up to the west. As much as I have people ask me questions out on the trail, like how exactly do you get to the Lake Fayetteville section, I'd hate to see people get confused and not know where to go. Even with the maps out, some people still seem to have a hard time figuring out the trail system. I'm also still curious to see how the trail will be laid out north of the old train depot to Maple.

Looks like the city wants to add more art displays, a couple kiosks, and potentially signs recognizing donors along the trails. http://www.nwaonline.com/news/2010/jun/08/advisory-board-new-park-signs-sought/

Yeah I read about that today. Sounds interesting but I guess I'm sorta wanting to see exactly what it will be like. I got the impression it might not be more than just smaller pictures put behind the cover from local kids and such. Not bad, but it's not really something I'd be looking forward to either. I'm also still figuring out the 'sign' aspect. Is this a step towards eventually having some advertising? In some ways I think it's interesting to see locations near the trail system advertise there. I guess in that it's nice to see that people recognize the popularity of the trail system. But I also don't exactly want to start seeing advertising pop up all over the place either, like people basically putting up billboards on the trail system.

One thing not mentioned in the article itself is that it looks like they're considering another sculpture/public art along the trail near Wilson Park. Basically the junction of the Scull Creek and Frisco Trails.

Yeah I read about that today. Sounds interesting but I guess I'm sorta wanting to see exactly what it will be like. I got the impression it might not be more than just smaller pictures put behind the cover from local kids and such. Not bad, but it's not really something I'd be looking forward to either. I'm also still figuring out the 'sign' aspect. Is this a step towards eventually having some advertising? In some ways I think it's interesting to see locations near the trail system advertise there. I guess in that it's nice to see that people recognize the popularity of the trail system. But I also don't exactly want to start seeing advertising pop up all over the place either, like people basically putting up billboards on the trail system.

One thing not mentioned in the article itself is that it looks like they're considering another sculpture/public art along the trail near Wilson Park. Basically the junction of the Scull Creek and Frisco Trails.

If small donor signs with only a corporate logo is used they shouldn't be too obtrusive. It would be a great to way to get future funding for trails. Yeah, certainly don't want any billboard type signage.

Got some more info on the trail work. Work on the Frisco Trail connection is expected to be finished by August. After that the city will work on the Oak Ridge Trail. The one that spurs off of the Frisco Trail around California I believe and heads west towards the university. Hopefully by that point they can start work on the U of A Farm Trail (doesn't look like it's officially gotten a name yet). But they're currently working with the U of A and the state highway department on it. But so far things appear to be going smoothly. I got a map to that trail. Last I had heard the city was talking about a bridge or tunnel at Garland. Looks like they've gone with the bridge idea. Personally I think it's probably the best choice. It will be a 125' bridge with an 18' clearance. Also look like the U of A is going to be converting some of that land west of Garland into some wetlands. I tried to leave the map big so you can click and see the details.

uofafarmtraildesign24x3.jpg

One more thing I found out. The future bridge for the crossing over Garland is being planned for future growth. It will be wide enough for the widening of Garland for 4 lanes, a 16 foot median, bike lanes, green space and 6 foot sidewalks on both sides. Glad they're leaving plenty of space there. Not sure what type of bridge this will be exactly. It will be interesting to get more details as we get closer to the actual trail work.

One more thing I found out. The future bridge for the crossing over Garland is being planned for future growth. It will be wide enough for the widening of Garland for 4 lanes, a 16 foot median, bike lanes, green space and 6 foot sidewalks on both sides. Glad they're leaving plenty of space there. Not sure what type of bridge this will be exactly. It will be interesting to get more details as we get closer to the actual trail work.

That is certainly some welcome news about the bridge crossing over Garland- whatever the design is. Hopefully this an indication of how future crossings of high traffic roads will be dealt with. It will increase the safety of trail users and drivers alike. Motor vehicle traffic will flow smoothly and trail users will not have to fear for their lives each time they cross.

Guess I hadn't even thought of this before. But apparently a lot of trail users up at Lake Fayetteville are really putting a strain on the facilities at the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks. The restroom at the garden is seeing around 100 trail users on weekdays and 200-300 on the weekend days. All of it is really putting a strain on the garden. They've recently put out a portable toilet a bit south of the garden on the trail. I've seen it, I thought it was put there because of the Farmer's Market there on Sundays. Sounds like there's really only a couple of spots near the trail system that has restrooms. Veterans Park on the west side of Lake Fayetteville and at Wilson Park. As the trail system expands it might have to be something to city looks more into. The city might look into turning that old pumphouse on Poplar into a restroom on the Scull Creek Trail. For that matter there's that pumphouse on North St as well that I don't believe is in use anymore either. Although I'm guessing it's proximity to Wilson Park has led them to pick the Poplar St as a more suitable location. There's also been complaints about no water fountains as well. That would be nice as well, but you can always bring in liquids with you. I suppose it's an inconvenience to carry, but I don't see that as much of a strong need, but a nice amenity.

Archived