Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned a while back ago. While we all would like a bridge or tunnel at the North St crossing don't hold your breath. The city wants to put in a tunnel but there's fiber optic cables in the area that would have to be moved. Just moving the fiber-optic cable would cost $800,000 with the actual tunnel costing $200,000. So unless someone wants to donate $1 Mil don't see a tunnel being put in anytime in the near future. And currently if the city did suddenly get a $1 Mil grant for the Trail System, they'd probably spend it on new trails rather than putting it all down for one spot.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then the city should make that crossing more protected, with railroad style crossing arms.

I think the problem is technically who's supposed to stop for the other. Apparently cars are supposed to yield to people on foot but not those on bicycle. Bicycles are supposed to yield to vehicle traffic. Although I suppose you could set it up so that all vehicle traffic had to stop for any type of traffic on the trail. I'm just curious though has anyone had any big problems at that intersection. I use the trail quite a bit and I admit I do tend to avoid that intersection at busier times of the day. But I've been surprised how little I tend to have to wait there on bicycle.

Oh and on another note I keep forgetting to mention. Everyone was worried about the city turning the lights off late at night. But I think the bigger problem has been the vandalism on the trail system. Quite a few bulbs were broken out on the Scull Creek Trail in the past few weeks. Not sure if the city has any ideas on what to do about this problem. Seems like it will get expensive having to replace so many bulbs.

I think the problem is technically who's supposed to stop for the other. Apparently cars are supposed to yield to people on foot but not those on bicycle. Bicycles are supposed to yield to vehicle traffic. Although I suppose you could set it up so that all vehicle traffic had to stop for any type of traffic on the trail. I'm just curious though has anyone had any big problems at that intersection. I use the trail quite a bit and I admit I do tend to avoid that intersection at busier times of the day. But I've been surprised how little I tend to have to wait there on bicycle.

Oh and on another note I keep forgetting to mention. Everyone was worried about the city turning the lights off late at night. But I think the bigger problem has been the vandalism on the trail system. Quite a few bulbs were broken out on the Scull Creek Trail in the past few weeks. Not sure if the city has any ideas on what to do about this problem. Seems like it will get expensive having to replace so many bulbs.

I stop for bikes if there's any doubt at all in my mind that they're not going to yield. Why take the risk?

Whenever there's significant traffic I walk down to Leverett and cross there. If there's little or no traffic I go ahead and use the trail crosswalk. I'd say most of the time I use the crosswalk...maybe 70/30.

Gates/arms would make the traffic delays even worse, and would be an inconvenience for me personally...I get held up at the trail crossing while driving maybe ten times a week. But it'd be worth it to have a safer, less worrisome crossing.

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned a while back ago. While we all would like a bridge or tunnel at the North St crossing don't hold your breath. The city wants to put in a tunnel but there's fiber optic cables in the area that would have to be moved. Just moving the fiber-optic cable would cost $800,000 with the actual tunnel costing $200,000. So unless someone wants to donate $1 Mil don't see a tunnel being put in anytime in the near future. And currently if the city did suddenly get a $1 Mil grant for the Trail System, they'd probably spend it on new trails rather than putting it all down for one spot.

The ideal situation would be to have a bridge or tunnel at North Street but that is an area where pedestrians are common and there are a lot of curb cuts on the street so the crossing isn't as bad as, say, the Old Missouri Road crossing. Traffic along North moves slower and expects to stop more often so it isn't as much a hazard as Old Missouri, where traffic moved smoother/faster and pedestrians were rare. The crossing arms are a good idea and should be considered. If North were ever widened all the way across town to create a major east-west corridor something would have to be done- it would be like crossing North College and very dangerous.

The ideal situation would be to have a bridge or tunnel at North Street but that is an area where pedestrians are common and there are a lot of curb cuts on the street so the crossing isn't as bad as, say, the Old Missouri Road crossing. Traffic along North moves slower and expects to stop more often so it isn't as much a hazard as Old Missouri, where traffic moved smoother/faster and pedestrians were rare. The crossing arms are a good idea and should be considered. If North were ever widened all the way across town to create a major east-west corridor something would have to be done- it would be like crossing North College and very dangerous.

Good points. Especially as you say if somehow North St was ever widened further than west of Gregg. But with the topography of Fayetteville along North St, I'm not sure if we'll see that happen for a long time. I think North has got to be one of the hilliest roads in the city. While other streets have one more extreme grade. I can't think of any other road that's so up and down throughout the city.

I actually got to meet out Trails Coordinator, Matt Mihalevich, today. It was just by accident. I overheard him talking about the Fayetteville Trail System and I kept thinking to myself he seems to know a lot about it. Then it finally occurred to me that he must be the Trails Coordinator. This happened at the meeting about the Garland Ave widening. Which by the way there will be bike lanes on the widened part of Garland from North to Melmar/Poplar. I also learned there's still some haggling being done on the U of A Agri trail. So that map I posted earlier may not actually be the final product. The U of A seems to be possibly pushing for the trail to be moved. So Matt is having to come up with some possible alternatives. One has the trail possibly going through the northern section of the Agri land near Drake St. If that's the case then they would probably get rid of the bridge and simply put in a stoplight with a pedestrian crossing there for the trail. Then the trail would extend southward to the curve where the small park is on Garland. Then eventually heading westward to I-540/Porter Rd interchange. So for now that trail is still up in the air until some agreement can be reached with the U of A. If they can't agree in the near future that trail might have to be put on the back burner and the city would move on to another trail. Possibly finishing the loop around Lake Fayetteville. But after the Frisco Trail connection the next trail will be the Oak Ridge Trail so there's still time for some sort of agreement to occur.

No big surprise here, but the heavy flooding rain last night really did a number to the trail system. Looks like the city got equipment out earlier today just to help make parts of the Scull Creek Trail more passable. A lot of gravel and debris under the Gregg St tunnel. With other sections obviously had been under a decent amount of mud. Looks like they didn't even try to clear the Fulbright tunnel yet. Usually the north end floods quite a bit. But I didn't even make it too far on the southern end with all the debris. Might be a couple of days before the Fulbright tunnel is more accessible.

The Fulbright tunnel is pretty much open now. If you're on foot you may have to jump over one small area of water on the north end. Pretty wild to see what all the water did. On the south side of the tunnel gravel is piled up about four feet high against the wall there. You can see the water line on the north side of the tunnel. Looks like at one point most of the tunnel was probably under water. Even some areas of the Mud Creek Trail that I can't recall ever seeing any water damage has some. Although it fared a lot better than the Scull Creek Trail. Might be a while before all the mud, gravel and debris is all off the trails though.

Just what the Fayetteville Trail System needed, more rain. More heavy rain last night. Probably a good thing the city hadn't finished trying to clear up the trail system. Looks like they're out doing that today. Although it might be premature, there's more thunderstorms in the area. We could get yet another heavy soaking. Didn't get to see what the Fulbright Tunnel looked like. The city workers had it closed off with equipment as they're trying to get it cleaned up. Looked like I saw one area of the Scull Creek Trail between North and Sycamore where the shoulder had slumped away and down from the trail into the creek bed.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the city will be renovating the Wilson Park trail. It's not in the best of shape and pretty narrow. I believe the new trail will be a bit wider and they'll also be installing lighting as well. Also in a month or two they'll provide a better connection between Wilson Park and Scull Creek/Frisco Trail. Putting in a 6' wide sidewalk.

wilsonparkconnection.jpg

I've been forgetting to mention this. When the Scull Creek/Frisco Trail first went in along that section between Maple and Frisco Ave. They basically took some of those house's driveway and they sorta shared it with the trail. But looks like now the city is putting in a small road in southward from Frisco Ave to reach the rest of the homes. Which will allow the trail to only be used by pedestrians.

Still waiting on the university to agree to a new plan on the future 'U of A Agri' trail that will run between the Scull Creek Trail and Hamesting Creek Trail. Right now Matt Mihalevich, the Trails Coordinator, is trying to get the university to agree with a trail that runs along the south side of their property east of Garland. Then after a bridge would cross Garland the trail would extend southward to near Deane and then head westward to the Porter Rd/I-540 interchange.

The Wilson Park Trail is being rebuilt. The asphalt surface will be replaced with concrete and new energy-efficient LED lights will be added. I didn't realize that the trail was 14 years old already- time flies.

I haven't ever seen stats on it but I bet this trail is the most used in the city- there are always a lot of users on it.

The Wilson Park Trail is being rebuilt. The asphalt surface will be replaced with concrete and new energy-efficient LED lights will be added. I didn't realize that the trail was 14 years old already- time flies.

I haven't ever seen stats on it but I bet this trail is the most used in the city- there are always a lot of users on it.

Yeah have to agree with you there. This is probably the most used section of trail in the city. So I think it's a good thing it's getting rebuilt. I didn't realize it was going to take as long as it is. It's projected to take at least 6 months. But from what I hear they'll be doing the trail in sections. Trying to allow most of it to stay open to people as much as possible. I've actually have heard at least a few complaining. [Although I guess it wouldn't be Fayetteville without some complaining : D ] As much use as it's gotten I think it's not too hard to see that it's had it's share of wear and tear. It's also rather narrow, compared to other trails. I think widening it to the standard size the other newer trails will also make it safer. I've ridden on it but it's difficult with other people on the trail as narrow as it is. And as popular as it is it's not always easy to find a good time when there isn't a lot of people on it already. So I've gotten to where I rarely use it anymore. I also think having a better connection between the Scull Creek/Frisco Trail will also help and also possibly get even more people on it.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed last week some of the artwork talked a while back ago going up. I think there's one around the Scull Creek/Frisco Trail near Wilson Park and there's also one at Gordon Long park on the Scull Creek Trail. I'd like to have something a little more substantial, but it's not bad.

Also noticed they've planted some trees on the northern end of the Scull Creek Trail and along some of the northern sections of the Lake Fayetteville Trail. Seems like a pretty hot dry time to do it. But I'm no tree expert. I'm hoping those trees are just going into a stage of dormancy. Many have had their leaves turn brown or totally drop their leaves altogether.

While it's not completed yet you can see the future section of the Frisco Trail going very near an apartment building just south of Maple St, and I mean very close. But there are plans at some point in the future of tearing that building down along with the vacant church next door and putting up another project. So eventually it won't be as bad as it seems.

Springdale seems to be getting more on board with establishing a trail system for the city. While it's certainly a step in the right direction, I still haven't heard any word on when Springdale might actually start building some trails. Or where they might even start. I'm really hoping they'll get the regional trail that will connect up to Lake Fayetteville going. But they might want to get some local trails going before they try to tackle that.

img0196s.jpg

I noticed last week some of the artwork talked a while back ago going up. I think there's one around the Scull Creek/Frisco Trail near Wilson Park and there's also one at Gordon Long park on the Scull Creek Trail. I'd like to have something a little more substantial, but it's not bad.

Also noticed they've planted some trees on the northern end of the Scull Creek Trail and along some of the northern sections of the Lake Fayetteville Trail. Seems like a pretty hot dry time to do it. But I'm no tree expert. I'm hoping those trees are just going into a stage of dormancy. Many have had their leaves turn brown or totally drop their leaves altogether.

While it's not completed yet you can see the future section of the Frisco Trail going very near an apartment building just south of Maple St, and I mean very close. But there are plans at some point in the future of tearing that building down along with the vacant church next door and putting up another project. So eventually it won't be as bad as it seems.

This is sure not the time to be planting trees- hopefully they aren't bought trees but some that the city grew.

So what type of artwork has been placed- sculpture or what? I haven't had time to get out on the trails much lately (that's not true, it has just been too d#@n hot).

This is sure not the time to be planting trees- hopefully they aren't bought trees but some that the city grew.

So what type of artwork has been placed- sculpture or what? I haven't had time to get out on the trails much lately (that's not true, it has just been too d#@n hot).

Sorry, forgot to mention more about the art. No this is the children's art they talked about a while ago. You've seen the maps out on the trail. It's sorta like that only a lot larger, perpendicular to the ground. The ones I've seen so far have three drawings/paintings by local kids. Personally I'd like to see more sculptures and such out. But the kid's artwork is at least a step in the right direction.

I seem to recall mentioning this a while back ago. Rogers is still trying to find options for the Turtle Creek Trail on the west side of town. The trail was proposed a while back ago but people in the neighborhood complained saying the trail would lower property values and create 'safety issues'. I believe I also mentioned that the opposite has been true, trails generally increase value. I guess some people new to the whole of trail systems just have a hard time adjusting to the idea. After the complaints the city went back to the drawing board and came up with 6 different options. Eventually three of those options were determined to be unfeasible. If the city does eventually try to go with the original plan the Elks Lodge is willing to allow the city access to the northern part of their property without making the city buy the land. But there is a catch the Elks Lodge has put a deadline of October for Rogers to get the trail going.

Unfortunately, looks like the Frisco Trail still hasn't been completed. But I can't tell there's a lot left to do other than paving it. So hopefully it will be be paved soon. Noticed yesterday the crews out cleaning up the trail. Not sure if they were doing this before we got all of our out of town visitors for the first Razorback game. Or if it was just coincidence. Too bad a completed Frisco Trail couldn't have been included in that.

Well apparently the Frisco Trail connection has been pushed back till the end of September now. Then in October they'll start working on the Oak Ridge Trail off the Frisco Trail towards the university. Not sure if there's been some problems pop up. I wasn't surprised it's been pushed back a bit. I know the crews had to spend some time in July with trail maintenance after all that heavy rain. But pushing it back a whole month makes me think something else has happened. They seem to be spending a lot of time under the Lafayette St bridge. The only other info I got was that they were pouring a lot of concrete in the upcoming week.

Been forgetting to mention this. They've been doing some work on the water or sewage pipes on the spur off the Mud Creek trail that you take to cross Joyce St and get up to Lake Fayetteville. Looks like there's quite a bit of work involved so that section might be closed off for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Now it looks like completion of the Frisco Trail connection will be mid October. They just finished pouring the last section of concrete. Then the crew will get a bit of a break then pick back up on finishing the Frisco Trail connection. Recently I've noticed they've also been re-striping quite a bit of the Scull Creek Trail. Along with still slowly getting rid of debris that's built up during heavy rains. Debris that's still left overs from the big ice storm a while back ago. Still no word on when the Mud Creek Trail Spur to the bicycle lanes on Vantage will be re-opened.

This weather has been great for trail users- I'vbe been out more the last couple of weeks than I did all summer. The trails look in good shape- at least the sections I've been on. You can tell where water has been on them but overall they are clean. I wondeer if the city might could scrape the sides of the Fulbright Expressway tunnel path a little deeper. It always has water standing.

This weather has been great for trail users- I'vbe been out more the last couple of weeks than I did all summer. The trails look in good shape- at least the sections I've been on. You can tell where water has been on them but overall they are clean. I wonder if the city might could scrape the sides of the Fulbright Expressway tunnel path a little deeper. It always has water standing.

Lately they've done a little cleaning up and re-striping the Scull Creek Trail. As far as the Fulbright Tunnel, I think everyone would like to make some sort of changes, including the city. But their hands are tied. The AHTD gives the city permission to use the tunnel but they can't make anymore changes. It's basically a take it as is or leave it situation.

Archived