Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

For quite a while Springdale has certainly been last in the trail area of the major NWA cities. But looks like they're taking the Razorback Greenway pretty seriously. Springdale is putting in restrooms at Shiloh Square for the greenway. Apparently some Springdale officials weren't happy with the amount of money being put into it, over $250k. But Mayor Sprouse wanted the city to put it's best foot forward on the project. Not wanting it to reflect badly on Springdale and also wanting ti build something worthwhile now and not have to totally revamp it ten years later. I can't find all the details, but I believe I've heard they're even going to use some solar and wind power to help power the restrooms.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For quite a while Springdale has certainly been last in the trail area of the major NWA cities. But looks like they're taking the Razorback Greenway pretty seriously. Springdale is putting in restrooms at Shiloh Square for the greenway. Apparently some Springdale officials weren't happy with the amount of money being put into it, over $250k. But Mayor Sprouse wanted the city to put it's best foot forward on the project. Not wanting it to reflect badly on Springdale and also wanting ti build something worthwhile now and not have to totally revamp it ten years later. I can't find all the details, but I believe I've heard they're even going to use some solar and wind power to help power the restrooms.

Kudos to Mayor Sprouse for his forward thinking. Considering where Shiloh Square is located building the restrooms to last and be graffiti resistant is a very good idea and should pay off over time. Using alternative energy sources is also a very good idea- I would think there might be some extra grant money for something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been meaning to mention this. I've lost the article now, but had recently read that Bentonville completed another section of trail. If I understand correctly this now connects downtown Bentonville over to Rogers part of their trail system. This will also be part of the Razorback Greenway. I think Bentonville just has a little to do on their north-side before they'll already have all their sections of the Razorback Greenway in place.

Not sure if it's been made official but looks like the new trail going neat the U of A Agri area will be called the Meadow Valley Trail. It had been projected to be completed in the Spring but looks like it's been pushed back till Summer. I think there were a few delays involving the tunnel. There also apparently is a delay with one of the property owners in that area. Looks like the situation will be going to the Arkansas Supreme Court. Sounds like the retaining wall on the west side of Garland is about complete. Once that trail is complete work will shift to completing the loop around Lake Fayetteville. Also sounds like next week bids will go back out again on fixing that section of the Frisco Trail damaged in last Spring's floods.

Sounds like there's three sections of the Razorback Greenway that are basically shovel ready and should be completed first. From Lake Fayetteville to Shiloh Square in downtown Springdale. Silent Grove Rd, which I believe is in northwest Springdale, to the Lowell trailhead. Then in southern Rogers from Garrett Rd to Pleasant Grove Rd. They're breaking the trail up into sections so if there's a problem it doesn't delay the whole thing.

Is there any word on when (or if, at this point) the damage on the Frisco trail will be repaired? Coming up on a year now and that is rather pathetic.

If the plan is to wait for the Feds to pay every time infrastructure is damaged then they should stop building trails and roads. Or, God forbid, pay for it out of general revenue.

Is there any word on when (or if, at this point) the damage on the Frisco trail will be repaired? Coming up on a year now and that is rather pathetic.

If the plan is to wait for the Feds to pay every time infrastructure is damaged then they should stop building trails and roads. Or, God forbid, pay for it out of general revenue.

Also sounds like next week bids will go back out again on fixing that section of the Frisco Trail damaged in last Spring's floods.

This is the last I had heard. It sounded like the city had gotten some grant money for repairs but it wasn't enough to cover the projected costs. So then the city went through the long process of trying to find a way to repair it more cheaply. I should try asking around just to make sure where exactly things stand on this. It has been frustrating that it's taken this long. From my perspective I guess it's been more of an annoyance more than anything else.

This has already popped up on the media and other internet sites, but bidding is finally taking place on repairing the Frisco Trail. However sounds like there's a good chance construction probably won't start till sometime in May.

Fayetteville is now working on designs for extending the Frisco Trail southward towards Walker Park. There will be a tunnel under MLK slanting southwest of the end of the Frisco Trail. Then the trail would head slightly westward before beginning to head to the southeast. Then it would cross S School Ave around W 9th St. They plan on using an at grade crossing on S School. Wasn't very exciting to hear that. But supposedly traffic counts aren't high enough there. But unlike the crossing on North St, sounds like this pedestrian hybrid beacon crossing would have pedestrians push a button for flashing orange then red lights. Guess we'll see if that will work better than the North St crossing. Around W 9th and Locust Ave a future bridge will then extend the trail over to Walker Park. Eventually the trail will extend southward to the future Town Branch Trail which will be the southern end of the Razorback Greenway, Back up towards MLK sounds like the city is going to renovate an existing railroad trestle for the trail to use. In this same area the future Tsa La Gi Trail will head westward from the trail.

• 1 month later...

Been a very long time in the making, over a year. But sounds like a contract was finally awarded on the damaged section of the Frisco Trail. Construction is supposed to start as soon as the bonds and insurance is issued. The Meadow Valley Trail is still progressing and is scheduled for completion this summer.

Sounds like the city will be changing the North St crossing on the Scull Creek Trail. After doing a study at that intersection it's been determined that vehicle and pedestrian traffic is heavy enough to warrant a stoplight there. The light will stay green for vehicle traffic until a pedestrian approaches and pushes the button to cross. This stoplight will be timed with the other stoplights at Leverett and Gregg to help prevent traffic backups.

• 1 month later...

A few updates about the Fayetteville trail system. Sounds like Prime Contracting will start repairs on the section of Frisco Trail on June 11th. It's expected to take three months to complete and the trail there should remain open for the most part.

I was under the impression the crossing for the Frisco Trail extension for MLK was already decided and that it was going to be a tunnel. But apparently it's not been decided yet. Although a tunnel is apparently one of three possible options. On June 7th at the Fayetteville Senior Center between 4-7PM people can stop by and give public input on the trail exstension along with input on the three crossing concepts.

The Meadow Valley Trail is expected to be complete in July or August. Apparently at the moment there is some sort of hold up with the highway dept on the section of trail near the I-540/Porter Rd interchange.

Also thought I'd mention something else the city is looking into. I've noticed one person slip already. I think most people know the Fulbright Expressway tunnel tends to stay wet. While this is annoying, there's apparently a crack on the south end of the tunnel which also makes that section of trail always wet as well. But because it also gets sun exposure it seems like there's been some algae growth. While much of the tunnel is going to be wet and the highway dept won't allow any changes. The city can make changes to the exterior section of the tunnel and are looking into trying to fix the southern edge of the tunnel. So that it dries up and will help deter any algae growth.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried out the new Trail Fayetteville is currently working on. They've started work near the Scull Creel Trail connection. It's still gravel from Scull Creek Trail over to Ernie Jacks Blvd. But paved from there all the way over to Porter Rd. The trail just ends there for now. Apparently there's some sort of hold up with the highway dept that will delay the trail actually extending past I-540 for a bit. Really nice to see what the city can do with it's own tunnel. All the other existing tunnels are basically culverts made by the highway dept. It seems much more well lit compared to all the other tunnels.

Sounds like soon a temporary gravel trail will be constructed near the damaged section of the Frisco Trail as work begins on fixing the damaged section of that trail. It will remain till the repairs are completed. Not sure what the timetable is on the repairs.

Sounds like soon a temporary gravel trail will be constructed near the damaged section of the Frisco Trail as work begins on fixing the damaged section of that trail. It will remain till the repairs are completed. Not sure what the timetable is on the repairs.

Repairs certainly seem to be dragging out.

Have you tried the new tunnel yet? The photos look great but I haven't made it over yet.

Repairs certainly seem to be dragging out.

Have you tried the new tunnel yet? The photos look great but I haven't made it over yet.

Yeah the tunnel is very nice. Great to see what the city can do when they don't have to use an already existing highway dept culvert. There's still debris out on some sections of that trail. But over all besides it not being paved from the Scull Creek Trail to Ernie Jacks Blvd, just east of Garland. It's basically ready to go till you get near Porter Rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like Bentonville is now working on it's last mile section of the Razorback Greenway. It will be the first NWA city to have it's portion of the Razorback Greenway completed. Granted they already had most of it in place when the announcement about the funding for the Greenway was announced.

In other news looks like last week Fayetteville got most of the Meadow Valley Trail paved. At least everything east of Porter Rd that is. There are still two small sections, about a few feet, that aren't the last time I looked. I believe mainly to let people know it's not completed just yet, if you're approaching it from the Agri Park or from the Scull Creek Trail. Officially the trail east of Porter Rd isn't supposed to be finished till the beginning of August. Delays with the highway dept has delayed the section of the trail that will cross the Porter Rd interchange to the other side of I-540. Finishing the Lake Fayetteville Trail is supposed to begin the beginning of September, so hopefully it will be completed during that one month period.

Apparently Saturday's storms took a toll on some of the fences along the western part of the Meadow Valley Trail. it's going to be a while before the trail is officially open but now they'll probably be putting up new fencing before that happens as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Springdale is building their crossing on Meadow Street this week. There is another being built on a street further north and the Emma Ave. crossing will be built when those are finished. I'm impressed with Springdale's effort on the Greenway. Of course- it is easier when someone else is paying for it but they are trying to make the trail through downtown first class.

Hopefuly this will post - the last few times i've tried to post on UP they just sit and time out.

Springdale is building their crossing on Meadow Street this week. There is another being built on a street further north and the Emma Ave. crossing will be built when those are finished. I'm impressed with Springdale's effort on the Greenway. Of course- it is easier when someone else is paying for it but they are trying to make the trail through downtown first class.

Hopefuly this will post - the last few times i've tried to post on UP they just sit and time out.

I do think Springdale has finally become more pro trail. But as you said, it certainly helps when the money is coming from somewhere else. Haven't gotten around to mentioning this yet. There's been a bicycle repair station put in near the Arsaga's just behind Chipotle. Also the Meadow Valley Trail is basically open from the SAcull Creek Trail to Porter Rd. Still a few things left to do, but basically it's open for everyone to use. I heard from the public response earlier that we'll most likely have a tunnel put in place under MLK to extend the Frisco Trail. I suppose AHTD could still have some sort of problem with it and complcate the matter. So nothing is official but I think the best bet is it will be a tunnel, not a bridge or at grade crossing.

• 2 weeks later...

Not only will Fayetteville be building trail for the last mile section along the southwest section of Lake Fayetteville. Sounds like they'll also be adding some more trail along the northwest section as well in the next year or so. Right now along that area trail users have to share the road with vehicles. Over all not a huge deal because it's a dead end road that only services the park on the northern part of Lake Fayetteville. But it will be nice to have a totally dedicated trail up there as well. Although I think it's going to be a pretty tight fit around the marina. Seems like there's a house or some sort of building very close to where they'll have to put the trail in.

Not only will Fayetteville be building trail for the last mile section along the southwest section of Lake Fayetteville. Sounds like they'll also be adding some more trail along the northwest section as well in the next year or so. Right now along that area trail users have to share the road with vehicles. Over all not a huge deal because it's a dead end road that only services the park on the northern part of Lake Fayetteville. But it will be nice to have a totally dedicated trail up there as well. Although I think it's going to be a pretty tight fit around the marina. Seems like there's a house or some sort of building very close to where they'll have to put the trail in.

It's great thaty they are building it so you don't have to dodge cars when you are using the trail. I remember the first time I walked that section and it freaked me out to see a line of vehicles coming at me on what I thought was the trail (only).

• 2 weeks later...

I think the tunnel option is now set for MLK. In addition a couple months ago the city finally put sidewalks in to connect Wilson park and the trail. There also need to be some connecting the short distance from the trail west towards Douglas St.

Also, is there some technical reason why that low-water, one lane bridge still exists? It's odd and a bit embarassing. That whole street section needs to be reworked.

I think the tunnel option is now set for MLK. In addition a couple months ago the city finally put sidewalks in to connect Wilson park and the trail.

I don't think it's official yet. But everyone seems to be leaning to that option. So I think it would be a big shock if a tunnel wasn't selected.

Archived