Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

Didn't actually see this story, just told about it, but the fire dept. is supposed to be considering buying some specialized vehicles in order to better respond to medical & other emergencies along the trails. Anyone see it or know more about this?

Seems like I heard a little about Bentonville looking into this. But haven't heard a lot of details.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I'd mention some updates on the Fayetteville trail system. In the past few weeks the city has been doing some stream bank work on the Mud Creek and Scull Creek Trails. I think they may be finished with that now. Looks like the Frisco Trail repairs have come along pretty well the past week or so. Looks like they're just a few feet down from the current level. Hopefully this will be finished soon. At some point the Meadow Valley Trail will connect up to the Shiloh and Hamestring Creek Trails. Just not now like I thought it would. For now the Meadow Valley Trail will eventually connect up to the bicycle lanes on My Comfort Rd. And with so much on the list for next year with the Razorback Greenway looks like connecxting up to the Shiloh and Hamestring Creek Trails won't happen till 2014. Although work on finishing the Lake Fayetteville Trail was scheduled to happen till September, I've noticed the city already doing a little work just off Vantage near the park the other week.

Didn't actually see this story, just told about it, but the fire dept. is supposed to be considering buying some specialized vehicles in order to better respond to medical & other emergencies along the trails. Anyone see it or know more about this?

I saw a piece about it on TV news- they are souped up 4-wheelers with a space to carry patients on a litter. I think the cost was like $50,000 each. It sounds like a good idea to me even if they are expensive.

This was in Fayetteville and the ATV's would also have a tank to carry water for fire fighting. I could see them being used off-road in parks and anywhere that a normal vehicle couldn't make it.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I did hear earlier in the week that Fayetteville did purchase a couple of these ATVs to use for the trail system. Although the Meadow Valley Trail hasn't been officially open for very long it is that time of year where there's some sharing along one section of the trail. People going to the Washington County Fair have the option of using that last bit of north-south trail that parallels I-540 near Porter Rd as an exit. There are cones up, trails users have the eastern half of the trail with vehicles using the western half. A bit of an annoyance, yes. But the fair this is a once a year event.

Forgot to mention this before. But I noticed last weekend it looked like the city might be widening that section of the Frisco Trail just south of Maple St. That section was built more narrow because at the time the appartment complex there was so close. But of course it's gone now. Not sure what time frame there for this or what they've actually done so far. Last weekened when I went by the trail was actually closed there. So I ended up using West Ave to get down to Dickson St and then connect back up to the trail system. Just like you had to a couple of years back.

Oh and although everyone's already heard that the tunnel option was the most likely option for the MLK crossing. It does sound like it's finally become official.

Good, I know the spot you're referring to, and it was dangerous. Too narrow and narrowed too fast.

Are they planning to ever fix the bit of the Oak Ridge trail that's closed? Been that way for a very long time. They have at least made some good progress on the Frisco trail section that caved in, it's looking fairly close to complete.

Are they planning to ever fix the bit of the Oak Ridge trail that's closed? Been that way for a very long time. They have at least made some good progress on the Frisco trail section that caved in, it's looking fairly close to complete.

I'm not sure what the hold up is there. I thought I had seen something quite a while back about some funding to fix that area even before the Frisco Trail. I need to ask around and see if I can find out anything. But I do believe that part of the trail is under the university and not the city. So I'm not sure if maybe the university is dragging it's feet or if there's something else going on.

Academy Sports has erected a berm between their loading dock and Mud Creek Trail. I don't know if was a requirement of their development plan or they are just being good neighbors but kudos on the idea whoever had it. Their building is well on the way to completion. I was surprised to not see a footpath from the building to the trail- maybe that will be built later.

Academy Sports has erected a berm between their loading dock and Mud Creek Trail. I don't know if was a requirement of their development plan or they are just being good neighbors but kudos on the idea whoever had it. Their building is well on the way to completion. I was surprised to not see a footpath from the building to the trail- maybe that will be built later.

I do think the berm is a requirement. But on a lot of projects I do think they tend to be after thoughts and not much emphasis placed on them. They did have to tear up one spot on the Mud Creek Trail earlier but replaced that section with a nice smooth section of concrete. That's been a pet peeve of mine, riding around on my bicycle and hitting these rough patch jobs along certain sections of the trail where for one reason or other they had to tear up a section of trail.

Got back down on the southern part of the trail system today and that section of the Frisco Trail has now been paved. Still a few minor things to do like clean that area up and stripe it. It's been a long time coming but nice to see that area almost finished now.

Got a response back from Matt Mihalevich, Fayetteville Trails Coordinator. He said that section of trail is the university's responsibility. But he said he checked it out recently and there was new asphalt down. So hopefully that section of trail has also been fixed as well. I haven't been down the Oak Ridge Trail in a few weeks, so I'll try to swing by there sometime this weekend and check it out.

Not sure what was going on the other week on that narrow section of the Frisco Trail south of Maple St. I've gone by there before and it doesn't look like any work has started there after all. Maybe they had the trail blocked off due to some sort of effort on the nearby development.

Still no ideas on when the Meadow Valley Trail will be extended under I-540 over to the bicycle lanes on Mt Comfort Rd. Sounds like AHTD is really dragging the whole thing out. As soon as everything is cleared with AHTD sounds like the city is ready to go with construction. They just have to wait for the go ahead from AHTD which could possibly be soon or could be put off until sometime next year.

• 4 weeks later...

The narrow section of the Frisco Trail in Fayetteville has been widened. Not sure exactly when it was done. Don't always hit the Frisco Trail a lot. This Friday they'll have an official groundbreaking ceremony for the Clear Creek Trail. That will be part of the Razorback Greenway that will continue north to Johnson from the Scull Creek Trail. The gravel base is about halway done for the Lake Fayetteville Trail extension. When it's rainy the city is doing a little bit of early work on the Tsa La Gi Trail in southern Fayetteville. Looks like they're also doing some of the final touches for the Meadow Valley Trail. Putting up lighting and bollards to keep vehicles out. After that all that will be left is waiting for AHTD to the trail can actually extend under I-540.

Well...the "berm" was simply a stockpile of topsoil that has been scattered around the site. It is almost leveled now. They did build a connection to the trail, though.

Well...the "berm" was simply a stockpile of topsoil that has been scattered around the site. It is almost leveled now. They did build a connection to the trail, though.

I don't know if they were required to build a connection to the trail or not. But You'd certainly think it would be a good idea considering the type of traffic the trail system gets.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed on the new Springdale trailhead signs that the trail is only supposed to be open from sunrise to sunset? Are they planning on enforcing this for people using the trail for transportation, or is this just to avoid liability issues?

I just noticed on the new Springdale trailhead signs that the trail is only supposed to be open from sunrise to sunset? Are they planning on enforcing this for people using the trail for transportation, or is this just to avoid liability issues?

To be honest I haven't heard anything about this. I would doubt this would be something that would be strictly enforced. But this also raises the issue about there possibly being different rules along the Razorback Greenway due to different cities along the way. Fayetteville turns the lights off at certain times, but the trails are always open. Although he just covers the trail system in Fayetteville, I may have to ask Matt Mihalevich if he's aware of this.

That is a rather silly decision...I wonder if it's out of fear of crime, or accidents, or somethelse else?

Got a response back from the Fayetteville Trails Coordinator, Matt Mihalevich. Yes it does appear the differing cities will have different rules concerning the Razorback Greenway. Fayetteville keeps it's trails open 24/7 because the city sees them as an alternate transportation system. The city doesn't close the roads in the city at certain times of night, therefore they keep the trails open as well. But not all cities see the Razorback Greenway the same way. One thing to consider is that it sounds like the Razorback Greenway will not be lit in a number of areas. Not sure how much will be lit in areas outside of Fayetteville. Matt thought if the trail isn't lit then there's a good chance the other cities will probably close the Razorback Greenway at night as well. I'm curious to see what Rogers and Bentonville will do. I'm not as familiar with the trail systems of Rogers and Bentonville. Are they lit up at night?

It is probably a good idea to close the trail in the area just south of downtown Springdale after sunset. Even if it were lit I wouldn't want to be on that section after dark. Somewhere there is a map showing crime rates for NWA and that area is not the safest. I'm not trying to slam Springdale- just stating a fact.

The websites show both of them open sunrise to sunset. I am hopeful that sometime in the future people will be using them more and they will install lighting. On a bright note, I found a 1.5 mile stretch of road just northwest of Springdale Lake with bike sharrows and signage. I'd love to see more of that in this area.

• 4 weeks later...

They are moving dirt right by the main trail in Fayetteville, where it turns from north to east between Van Asche & Joyce. 

Also saw some yet to be installed lights along the spur that goes out to 540.

Yeah they've broken ground on the area at the north end of the Scull Creek Trail.  This will be the Clear Creek Trail.  It's heading north through Johnson and will go just north of the NWA Mall and connect up to the Lake Fayetteville Trail.  It's considered part of the Razorback Greenway. 

They have been working on the lighting on the Meadow Valley Trail.  So far they've just got the lampposts up between the Scull Creek Trail connection to Garland Ave.

Came across a number of maps on Fayetteville's website on future trail construction and thought I should post them here.  Here's a look at what Fayetteville will be working on for the next couple of years.

Trail_Map-With_Current_Trail_Projects__1

Here's a look at what the city is currently working on, completion of the Lake Fayetteville Trail.

Lake_Fayetteville_Trail_Aug_2012_%28smal

Here's also the Scull Creek Trail extension to the north and the Clear Creek Trail which will be part of the future Razorback Greenway.

GIS_Map_-_Overall_Clear_Trail_10-12_%28s

Archived