Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

Are there any future plans to connect the trail at Gulley park to Mud Creek Trail?

Actually there is.  If I remember correctly I think they're planning working on that next year.  Aside from one small section in south Fayetteville that apparently will be the big project they focus on next year.  They'll extend the trail where it ends on Sweetbriar Dr eastward to Sweetbriar Park.  Then they'll follow the Niokaska Creek southward and back over to Gulley Park.  After the current work they've been doing most of what they'll focus on this year is over in west Fayetteville with the Shiloh Trail and extending the Clabber Creek Trail.  Here's a link to the city's website for a pdf file showing what the plans are for right now.

http://www.accessfayetteville.org/government/engineering/documents%20%28hidden%29/2013-2017_Construction_Schedule_Map_%28July_2013%29.pdf

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah before I forget.  The official ribbon cutting will be on the 'big bridge' on the Clear Creek Trail at 1:00 PM Saturday.  You can park in the northwest corner of the NWA Mall for a short walk over to the bridge.  It's beginning to look like they won't actually open that section of trail up till that day.  It's still closed off.  Oddly enough they even cut up and took out a section of trail earlier in the week and poured more concrete not to far from that particular bridge.  I refer to that bridge as the big bridge because unlike the other bridges it's actually elevated and higher up compared to all the other bridges I've seen on the Fayetteville trail system.

Thought I'd get around to posting some observances on the new trails in Fayetteville, now that they're officially open.  I like the pedestrian crossing on the southern Frisco Trail extension over the North St crossing.  As a driver it doesn't stick up like a speed table like the North St crossing on the Scull Creek Trail.  I know a lot of drivers are really annoyed by that.  It also appears to be made of red brick rather than the red concrete all the other crossings are made of.  A tunnel of course would have been really nice.  But of course more expensive and traffic counts supposedly weren't high enough to warrant a tunnel.  So hopefully aside from maybe the very busiest times of day, hopefully the crossing will be sufficient.  I like the look of the MLK tunnel over the other tunnels.  The concrete is shaped into what looks like large stone blocks.  Not sure if it's an optical illusion but it also seems less imposing and canyon like compared to some of the other tunnels like the Garland Ave tunnel on the Meadow Valley Trail.  

Today was really the first real look I've had at much of the new Clear Creek Trail.  Over all I really like this trail.  Seems nice and scenic despite it's closeness to things like the NWA Mall.  But being down in the valley and with the NWA Mall being up on the hill, it's easy to not realize you're so close.  I also like how it's literally right next to the miniature golf course at Lokomotion.  But a few things I should point out.  As it goes under  71 B it comes very close to Clear Creek and will probably be rather susceptible to flooding.  Also in you're on the Clear Creek Trail heading east to Lake Fayetteville the grade becomes rather steep.  But in both cases, not really a lot you can do, that's just the way the topography of the area is.  Also it appears a section of trail might have to be shared with a vehicle every once in a while.  From 71 B east next to Lokomotion there's a property owner and the trail has basically taken what was their gravel drive.  Doubt there will be much traffic, but until you pass Lokomotion I guess there is a very slight possibility of a vehicle being on the trail.  Once you pass Lokomotion a bollard is installed to prevent and vehicle traffic past that point.  Looks like they've also preserved an old  spring/well-house not too far the Lokomotion property.  

First of all figured it was time to re-edit the title topic again.  It started out as just for the Fayetteville trail system.  Then I changed it to include the other trail systems in northwest Arkansas as other cities started building their own systems as well.  But as more and more of the Razorback Greenway is built and there will be more of a focus of it being the backbone of the trail systems in the area.  Figured it was time for a change again.

There was a good turnout for the ribbon cutting ceremony on the Clear Creek Trail.  I suppose the good weather helped, but I still didn't really expect that many people to come out.  I didn't really try doing a head count or anything but maybe close to 100 people.  I had also mainly just expected Fayetteville city officials to be there.  I had forgotten about the trail also going through Johnson as well so the Johnson mayor was there.  Had one state representative.  I don't quite remember the other person there but I believe it was someone to do with the Razorback Greenway.  Sounds like Johnson has gotten on board with the trail system and is already planning on building a connecting trail later this summer.  

Got to talk a little to Matt Mihalevich, the Fayetteville Trails Coordinator.  I didn't ask directly about it, but the Meadow Valley Trail came up in conversation and learned he really wasn't too happy with how the trail ended up being shut down near the I-540/Porter Rd construction.  I got the impression he had no idea it was coming and is frustrated the city spent the time on that section of trail just to have it closed now and it's also going to have to be rebuilt.  All the heavy construction equipment has really damaged the trail.  Also sounds like they'll move the trail a little further west away from the road as well.  

I hadn't realized so much of the Tsa-La-Gi Trail had been done.  First of all the name is Cherokee and is basically pronounced Cha-la-ghee.  Which is the actual name the tribe goes by.  Anyway the Trail of Tears isn't too far away and the city decided to name this trail for that event.  It's just a little south of MLK.  On the western end it basically starts at Razorback Rd just behind Chick-Fil-A.  Currently it doesn't quite extend to Government Ave, but it's pretty close and apparently in another 4-6 weeks it should hook up to the southern extension of the Frisco Trail.  I checked it out today and got to see the tunnel going under the railroad tracks.  

One other thing I learned is that Fayetteville is switching over to trying to do all the trails in concrete instead of asphalt.  Originally they were just doing concrete in areas where they were concerned about flooding.  But as time has gone on apparently there are a number of spots on the older trails where the asphalt hasn't held up very well.  So the city is just going to switch over to concrete.  It's more expensive but then they shouldn't have to worry so much about going back to try to repair the asphalt.  And even then the patch jobs for asphalt doesn't always work out real great either.  Anyway just a few things I learned while I was at the event.

"  I got the impression he had no idea it was coming and is frustrated the city spent the time on that section of trail just to have it closed now and it's also going to have to be rebuilt."

Yeah, I agree.  It reminds of the time that section of the Frisco trail got damaged, then nothing was done for a over a year.  Something that would _never_ happen with any city street.  Now with this, a newly built section of trail that's very useful, gets shut down for months on end.  And damaged as a bonus.

Good to hear about the switch to concrete, better late than never.  When the first parts of the trail when in there were questions about using asphalt.  It's held up better than I expected at least.

As for the new extension out by the lake, I like it.  Going east there are a couple steep spots, the mall spur is one and especially the last bit before you get to the spillway.  But those sections are short, and people on bikes can walk them if they have difficulty.

The southern extension is quite short, my only real problem with it is a pretty tight, blind curve when going south through the tunnel.  Same sort of problem that a couple of the other tunnels have.  Even with that it's much much less nerve wracking now to get across MLK or S School.

"  I got the impression he had no idea it was coming and is frustrated the city spent the time on that section of trail just to have it closed now and it's also going to have to be rebuilt."

Yeah, I agree.  It reminds of the time that section of the Frisco trail got damaged, then nothing was done for a over a year.  Something that would _never_ happen with any city street.  Now with this, a newly built section of trail that's very useful, gets shut down for months on end.  And damaged as a bonus.

Good to hear about the switch to concrete, better late than never.  When the first parts of the trail when in there were questions about using asphalt.  It's held up better than I expected at least.

As for the new extension out by the lake, I like it.  Going east there are a couple steep spots, the mall spur is one and especially the last bit before you get to the spillway.  But those sections are short, and people on bikes can walk them if they have difficulty.

The southern extension is quite short, my only real problem with it is a pretty tight, blind curve when going south through the tunnel.  Same sort of problem that a couple of the other tunnels have.  Even with that it's much much less nerve wracking now to get across MLK or S School.

Yes there are some steeps grades on the Clear Creek Trail.  But as you said, they aren't really long and you could always walk your bicycle if needed.  But I do think it's very nice and scenic.  The MLK tunnel does have those corners, but to be honest I was expecting it to be even worse.  I was expecting the tunnel to be perpendicular to the street.  So I was thinking the corner turns would be worse.  Over all I don't think they're that horrible.  But the problem lies more in getting people to quit cutting corners.  I've seen cyclists and joggers both do it.  I suppose angling the tunnel even more would have been nice.  But I also imagine you'd need a longer tunnel which of course would drive up costs as well.  

Actually there is.  If I remember correctly I think they're planning working on that next year.  Aside from one small section in south Fayetteville that apparently will be the big project they focus on next year.  They'll extend the trail where it ends on Sweetbriar Dr eastward to Sweetbriar Park.  Then they'll follow the Niokaska Creek southward and back over to Gulley Park.  After the current work they've been doing most of what they'll focus on this year is over in west Fayetteville with the Shiloh Trail and extending the Clabber Creek Trail.  Here's a link to the city's website for a pdf file showing what the plans are for right now.

http://www.accessfayetteville.org/government/engineering/documents%20%28hidden%29/2013-2017_Construction_Schedule_Map_%28July_2013%29.pdf

One thing I wanted to emphasize on these plans.  This was planned back in 2013 and nothing is necessarily set in stone.  If there's a lot of public comment for a particular area or trail sometimes things get moved up or pushed back for things that there seems to be a lot of public interest in.  One thing I do know is with the city's future regional park and the added land purchase around Mt Kessler there's a lot of interest in the trail system hooking up over to that area.  Granted there's a lot of planning to do.  But it's possible something like that could be moved up if there seems to be a lot of public demand for it.  Don't think work would happen on a trail over there anytime soon.  But it could alter plans a year or two from now.

• 1 month later...

The Tsa-La-Gi Trail in south Fayetteville is basically open to the public now.  They will still have to do some landscaping and put lighting in the tunnel under the railroad tracks.  But it's all paved from Razorback Rd over to the southern extension of the Frisco Trail.  If you're heading south on the trail system after you go through the MLK Tunnel you'll soon come to a bridge.  Right after that bridge the Tsa-La-Gi Trail starts on your right.  Considering it commemorates the Cherokee Trail of Tears, I would imagine they'll eventually install some sort of informative sign or something at the trailhead.

The Tsa-La-Gi Trail in south Fayetteville is basically open to the public now.  They will still have to do some landscaping and put lighting in the tunnel under the railroad tracks.  But it's all paved from Razorback Rd over to the southern extension of the Frisco Trail.  If you're heading south on the trail system after you go through the MLK Tunnel you'll soon come to a bridge.  Right after that bridge the Tsa-La-Gi Trail starts on your right.  Considering it commemorates the Cherokee Trail of Tears, I would imagine they'll eventually install some sort of informative sign or something at the trailhead.

Thanks for that update. I ran through the MLK tunnel yesterday but went over to School St. I saw that it looked like the new update was almost open but I didn't look at it. Gives me another option.

I hope it eventually keeps going further south and west.

Thanks for that update. I ran through the MLK tunnel yesterday but went over to School St. I saw that it looked like the new update was almost open but I didn't look at it. Gives me another option.

I hope it eventually keeps going further south and west.

Right now the Frisco Trail basically ends where it meats Walker Park.  But either later this year or next year the city plans on extending the trail south through the park.  There's already a trail in parts of the park but it doesn't meat the standards of the trail system and in some areas isn't the the greatest of shape.  A little south of Walker Park will be another east/west trail, the Town Branch Creek Trail.  I believe there's a few small sections of it already completed.  But not sure when they'll actually hook up any of it to the rest of the trail system.  And with the city's purchase of Mt Kessler, the city is already looking into extending the trail system over that direction at some point.  In fact I wouldn't be too surprised if at some point some of the other trails scheduled to be completed in the next few years might get pushed back.  So that the city can make some effort to moving towards that direction.  

I've mentioned this before, that the plans for the Fayetteville Trail system weren't set in stone and that other trails might be prioritized over others.  But it looks like like some of the trails scheduled for this year have been pushed back to 2015.  Basically two trails in west Fayetteville, the Shiloh Trail and the Clabber Creek Trail.  The Clabber Creek Trail has been pushed back because of the Corps of Engineers for some reason.  The Shiloh Trail has been pushed back so that the city can work on a trail between Mt Kessler and the future regional park in southwest Fasyetteville.  I think some of that is because the Walton Foundation provided some money but put in a provision that a trailhead (and possible trail) had to be built within a set period.  

• 3 weeks later...

Work is under way on the new section of trail just north of Lake Fayetteville. That is where trail users have to dodge vehicles on the road. A very welcome sight! I was headed west and saw a family of two adults and two children 5-6 years old on bicycles headed towards me in the middle of the road with a pickup coming up right behind them- a scary sight.

Lots of people out on the trails lately.

• 4 weeks later...

I hadn't realized they were building trail next to the road along the north side of the lake.  They're making good progress on it.  The are also working on the last section of Powell where it ties in to the lake trail.  There are a couple of other sections they are working on along Powell as well now.  Downtown Springdale has finished demolition of the two buildings next to the Shiloh Square and filled back in with dirt.  Construction continues along the creek north of Huntsville and a lot of work has been done on the section from Lake Springdale out toward I49.  Already seeing more bike traffic here even without the trail.  It's great to see this finally happening.

Been meaning to mention this.  But yeah Fayetteville has been progressing pretty well on the small section of trail on the northwest side of Lake Fayetteville.  The small section where you had to share the road with vehicles.  I'd say they have around 75-80% of it paved.  Just a small area near the marina that's left.  I think Fayetteville has also been doing a little work on the future Town Branch Creek Trail as well.  A little surprised I still haven't seen the finishing touches on the Tsa-La-Gi Trail done yet.  I know I saw the lighting for the tunnel was scheduled for July.  Already in the later part of the month and haven't seen any work getting started yet.  Not a part of the Razorback Greenway but Fayetteville also has a trailhead set up for the Mt Kessler nature trail.  Sounds like a lot of people want priority for linking the Mt Kessler area up with the rest of the trail system.  So this could alter planned schedules for other trails that were set to start up in the upcoming year or two.  

Well just as I was mentioning that Fayetteville's Trail schedule could change, it looks like that will be the case.  The Walton Foundation is going to fund some trails in south Fayetteville.  Sounds like the city has already been working on a section of the future Town Branch Creek Trail near Greathouse Park.  Then it looks like the city will work on extending the Frisco Trail along the eastern side of Walker Park down to Town Branch Creek and then westward towards Greathouse Park later this year.  Also scheduled later this year looks like the city will extend the new Tsa-La-Gi Trail westward past Razorback Rd.  Then in 2015 the city will extend the Town Branch Creek Trail west and northwest and eventually connect it up to the Tsa-La-Gi Trail not too far away from the I-49/MLK interchange.  Looks like in 2016 the big push will be the Cato Springs Trail.  From the Greathouse Park area over to the future regional park/Mt Kessler area.  Then even more trails set up in south Fayetteville for 2017 as well.  For south Fayetteville it's very impressive.  I admit I'm just a tad disappointed some of the other planned trails will be pushed back.  But if there's funds to do this then it's really hard to argue.    Here's more info.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2014/07/22/walton-grants-to-add-10-miles-of-trail-in-south-fayetteville/

The section of trail up at Lake Fayetteville is still coming along nicely.  At the rate they're going I'd almost hope they'd be finished by next weekend.  But I have a feeling that little section next to the building is going to slow things down.  Still no lighting in the tunnel on the Tsa-La-Gi Trail in south Fayetteville.  But there are posts for lighting on both ends of the trail.  So there's progress being made.  Haven't been over there personally, but sounds like the Razorback Greenway is coming along pretty well in the center of Springdale.  With the all the wind from the derecho on Wednesday there were some downed trees on the Fayetteville Trail system.  But the city did a really good job and I think everything was cleared the very next day.  Some big tree limbs had caused some problems on the Meadow Valley Trail and there was a tree down on the Frisco Trail in the area that washed out a couple of years ago.

There was one a few years back that hit NEA and Memphis where winds easily topped 100mph. Local Media there called it Hurricane Elvis. My Brother lost power for two weeks. We lost quite a few very old oaks on in bottomland woods on the L'Anguille.  Then we got nailed with the ice storm and had some tornado damage. Our poor woods have had a rough 10 years and that's not mentioning the rather large high water episodes that topped our levees and washed them out. Levees that have been fine for 50 years.

Construction on the trail on the northwest section of Lake Fayetteville is just about complete.  It's basically all paved, but there is still a section barricaded near the marina area.  I'm guessing to allow the concrete to properly dry.  There will be some railroad maintenance in Fayetteville.  So for the 4th and 5th there will be a detour on the Scull Creek Trail on the southern end of Gordon Long Park.

I knew Fayetteville has been working on a section of Town Branch Creek Trail lately and although it's not open I decided to go looking for it.  The section they're currently working on is at Greathouse Park a little south of 15th St.  In fact I think that park is technically closed at the moment.  You have to cross a bridge to get into the park and I think it's an older bridge that they're working on.  Right now the bridge just has what looks like aluminum siding down at the base.  Anyway after you get into the park you can see another newer looking bridge.  Pretty sure it's one that I had read about earlier in the year that the city put in.  But basically the trail is paved almost all the way eat to 71B.  Looks like work is currently going on underneath a 71B bridge.  A little further east and then it should be able to connect northward to the southern end of Walker Park.

There was one a few years back that hit NEA and Memphis where winds easily topped 100mph. Local Media there called it Hurricane Elvis. My Brother lost power for two weeks. We lost quite a few very old oaks on in bottomland woods on the L'Anguille.  Then we got nailed with the ice storm and had some tornado damage. Our poor woods have had a rough 10 years and that's not mentioning the rather large high water episodes that topped our levees and washed them out. Levees that have been fine for 50 years.

Never forget that night in Bentonville (and it wasn't even bad there).  I was driving on the east side of the city and had noted the clear skies and stars above when I got out of the Walmart NHM near NWACC where I'd been shopping.  Just as I was on Central turning toward our old subdivision I saw a GIGANTIC bolt of lightning in the distant west that seemed to light up a cumulonimbus cloud that looked 5 miles tall from bottom to stratosphere.  Then there wasn't any lightning for minutes.  I actually asked a teenage couple sitting on their car and talking nearby if they'd seen it (they did).  I was afraid I'd hallucinated for a moment.  :o 

It was announced earlier this week that they would be shutting down Powell St between Robinson and Don Tyson to do trail related construction (raised crosswalks) there on Tuesday.  Riding around the other side of town, I saw more progress on the section north of Huntsville.  The section directly under the Shiloh bridge below the cemetery was cemented last week.  You can see the dirt path all the way down to Sanders where it stops right before the trailhead and continues on the other side of the creek north of Sanders.

Last weekend, I rode from Lake Fayetteville down to Walker park.  The tunnel under MLK is very nice.  

Never got around to mentioning it but the section of Lake Fayetteville Trail is just about complete.  It's open to the public and all that remains is a few little touch ups.   And here's some other updates on the Fayetteville Trail system.  Most of the lighting on the Tsa La Gi Trail is up now.  Sounds like they might have that finished along with some signage and striping in the near future.  Sounds like Greathouse Park has re-opened and that section of the Town Branch Creek Trail from the park to 71 B might be open as well.  Soon work will start on widening sections of the Mud Creek Trail on the Mall Ave and Steele Ave bridges.  Work should start on the 18th.  I also found out all the previously planned trail construction for the next few years won't be pushed back any further.  All of that will remain on schedule with all the additional work on the south side of town as well.  I'll have to see if I can fins a new map to put up for work for the next few years.

Archived