Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

It looks like Powell south of Robinson is mostly bike path stolen from the roadway. A couple of raised crossings were installed to connect the section running across the front of the school. Very little to finish on that end. Work still continues along the creek.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like Powell south of Robinson is mostly bike path stolen from the roadway. A couple of raised crossings were installed to connect the section running across the front of the school. Very little to finish on that end. Work still continues along the creek.

Didn't quite get all of that.  Maybe auto-correct?  Either way sounds like some of the Springdale section of the Greenway is coming along.  

Over the weekend, I noticed the Tsa La Gi Trail in south Fayetteville is now striped and the lighting is up, including the tunnel.  But I did notice a section of the Hill Place Aprtmnts on don't seem to have many lights up.  Not sure if it's the aprtmnt complex's responsibility to put up lighting there or what.  The only thing remaining for the Tsa L a Gi Trail is the signage.  

The Town Branch Creek Trail in south Fayetteville is also coming along pretty well.  There's still some work to be done on the bridge to start the trail and enter Greathouse Park.  The city is already putting up some lamp posts.  The trail is also now completed under 71 B.  Although there still isn't any access on that end of the trail just yet.  The city will keep pushing eastward on that trail till it's near the Walker Park area.  And the Frisco Trail will be extended on the west side of Walker Park southward till it reaches Town Branch Creek Trail.  I believe this will be considered the southern terminus of the Razorback Greenway.

I tried the new bike lanes on Garland for the first time today.  Better than the unusable ones on Crossover, due to the lower speed limit and a bit less traffic.  Still could be wider, and a curb would be even better, and I'd like to see the speed limit at 30 along that brief stretch. 

The city has also put sharrows on Duncan, Oakland, Holly, maybe other streets around there?  Better than nothing I suppose.  There's also a sign near Holly and Leverett directing people to go through the parking lot behind the church/gas station to get to the main trail.  So I suppose that's now an official route?  Plenty of people have been using it to avoid the Leverett/North intersection.  Sidewalk rebuld along Leverett is also done and is much more pleasant to walk now.

Still ridiculous that there is so sidewalk connecting the trail to the sidewalks on Duncan.  Been that way for, what, 8 years now?   Can't be more than 30 yards or so.

Mith - do you have the latest diagram of current and future planned trails?

I don't want to make this sound like whining, because what is being built (specifically in Rogers and Springdale) is incredible. There is virtually nothing west of 49 once you get south past the Pinnacle area. From Rogers to Fayetteville there are no parks (at least of any substance) and no trails. In most places it's dangerous to get from one side of 49 to another on a bike or foot. In Fayetteville the only semi-reasonable spot is Mt Comfort but even that is screwed up with the 49 expansion.

I love and support everything currently being built but there seems to be a major disconnect for anyone living west of 49 in most of the area.

The trail that runs past the Washington county fairgrounds looks like it will be crossing 49.

More news for Springdale. Another section along the creek is under construction. This is the section just south of downtown. Serious progress is finally being made here.

Lake Fayetteville to 412 is mostly done. Mostly separated bike lane.

Creek section just south of downtown begun.

Work continues on Huntsville to 71b along creek.

Haven't been north of there to check on the progress lately.

Mith - do you have the latest diagram of current and future planned trails?

I don't want to make this sound like whining, because what is being built (specifically in Rogers and Springdale) is incredible. There is virtually nothing west of 49 once you get south past the Pinnacle area. From Rogers to Fayetteville there are no parks (at least of any substance) and no trails. In most places it's dangerous to get from one side of 49 to another on a bike or foot. In Fayetteville the only semi-reasonable spot is Mt Comfort but even that is screwed up with the 49 expansion.

I love and support everything currently being built but there seems to be a major disconnect for anyone living west of 49 in most of the area.

I'll look again after I get off work later today.  The good news in Fayetteville is that despite the new added trails in south Fayetteville, he city will continue on it's schedule of trails in west Fayetteville for the next few years.

I'll look again after I get off work later today.  The good news in Fayetteville is that despite the new added trails in south Fayetteville, he city will continue on it's schedule of trails in west Fayetteville for the next few years.

Thanks. Hopefully there will be some good connectors crossing the interstate. I often ride out to Prairie Grove and Farmington and I have to get on Wedington or MLK at the busiest parts to cross 49.

Thanks. Hopefully there will be some good connectors crossing the interstate. I often ride out to Prairie Grove and Farmington and I have to get on Wedington or MLK at the busiest parts to cross 49.

Sorry for the late response.  There was a trail that went past I-49, the Meadow Valley Trail.  But with the widening project of I-49 at the Porter Rd interchange, that section is now closed until construction is finished.  But it's only a short distance on Porter Rd before you get to bicycle lanes on Mt Comfort Rd.  Granted it's probably out of the way if you're wanting to head to Farmington. I have heard of an eventual crossing of I-49 near MLK but we're talking about something years away.  At some point in the next few years there's going to be a trail heading down to the Mt Kessler Trailhead which will pass I-49.  And here's that map I promised earlier showing future trail construction in the next few years for Fayetteville.

http://www.accessfayetteville.org/government/engineering/documents%20%28hidden%29/2014-2018_Construction_Schedule_Map__%28July_2014%29.pdf

Sorry for the late response.  There was a trail that went past I-49, the Meadow Valley Trail.  But with the widening project of I-49 at the Porter Rd interchange, that section is now closed until construction is finished.  But it's only a short distance on Porter Rd before you get to bicycle lanes on Mt Comfort Rd.  Granted it's probably out of the way if you're wanting to head to Farmington. I have heard of an eventual crossing of I-49 near MLK but we're talking about something years away.  At some point in the next few years there's going to be a trail heading down to the Mt Kessler Trailhead which will pass I-49.  And here's that map I promised earlier showing future trail construction in the next few years for Fayetteville.

http://www.accessfayetteville.org/government/engineering/documents%20%28hidden%29/2014-2018_Construction_Schedule_Map__%28July_2014%29.pdf

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't find it on the Fayetteville site. Thanks so much.

I am aware of that section under 49 on Porter. It was only open a brief time, sadly, before being taken over and blocked. I assume it will eventually return when that widening is done, whenever that may be. I do take that route quite often but it's mostly when continuing north. I could cut back down Rupple or Double Springs to get back to Wedington. Adds a few extra miles but safer than going through the 49 interchange.

I try to stay on lesser traveled roads for my longer rides but it's difficult to get to them. Contrary to what some drivers think, most of us don't want to impede or hold up traffic. I feel extremely guilty when I do but sometimes it can't be helped, at least not safely.

So many nice options coming according to that PDF you posted, though some are quite a long ways off. At least they are planned.

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for. I couldn't find it on the Fayetteville site. Thanks so much.

I am aware of that section under 49 on Porter. It was only open a brief time, sadly, before being taken over and blocked. I assume it will eventually return when that widening is done, whenever that may be. I do take that route quite often but it's mostly when continuing north. I could cut back down Rupple or Double Springs to get back to Wedington. Adds a few extra miles but safer than going through the 49 interchange.

I try to stay on lesser traveled roads for my longer rides but it's difficult to get to them. Contrary to what some drivers think, most of us don't want to impede or hold up traffic. I feel extremely guilty when I do but sometimes it can't be helped, at least not safely.

So many nice options coming according to that PDF you posted, though some are quite a long ways off. At least they are planned.

Yeah I certainly agree with you.  There are those cyclists who seem to have an extreme hatred for vehicles and anyone who drives them.  But I also feel bad if I feel like I'm holding back traffic and try to follow routes that keep me out of most people's way.  

Luckily the city updated their PDF map to show the additions to the south that were added.  When I first heard about the Walton Foundation's Grant and all the southern trails.  I really thought all the western trails were going to be put on hold for a few years.  Really nice to know that the city plans on sticking with the original plan and also add the extra trails down south as well.  I'm also very glad the city is continually adding to the trail system as well.  Bentonville really jumped in and followed Fayetteville.  But I don't really hear much about any planned growth to add more trails.  

Another cool thing with that map.  It also shows the wards of Fayetteville as well.  I'm sometimes surprised how many people don't really know what ward they live in and so on.

There's also a sign near Holly and Leverett directing people to go through the parking lot behind the church/gas station to get to the main trail.  So I suppose that's now an official route?  Plenty of people have been using it to avoid the Leverett/North intersection. 

Heard back from the city, so to answer my own question:  the city got permission from that church that allows the public to use the parking lot as a cut through.

Looks like the signage is up on the Tsa La Gi Trail in south Fayetteville.  Haven't heard of any grand opening for it.  But I can't see anything left to be done on if from the Frisco Trail to Razorback Rd.  

They aren't wired yet but looks like all the lighting is up on the Town Branch Creek Trail.  They're still doing some landscaping and the trail isn't striped yet.  They've also re-closed a section of trail near 71 B to add access point to that section of trail.  But looks like the section of Town Branch Creek Trail between Greathouse Park and 71 B could be open in the near future.  

Was also able to check out a portion of the Razorback Greenway in Springdale for the first time.  They've opened the area near Lake Fayetteville now.  There are still some sections that they're working on.  A small section not too far north of Lake Fayetteville.  A section north of the Junior High School on Powell St.  And most notably a section around the Don Tyson Prkwy.  But even having to take to the street a couple of times, you can pretty much make it all the way up to Hwy 412 East.  

Looks like the signage is up on the Tsa La Gi Trail in south Fayetteville.  Haven't heard of any grand opening for it.  But I can't see anything left to be done on if from the Frisco Trail to Razorback Rd.  

They aren't wired yet but looks like all the lighting is up on the Town Branch Creek Trail.  They're still doing some landscaping and the trail isn't striped yet.  They've also re-closed a section of trail near 71 B to add access point to that section of trail.  But looks like the section of Town Branch Creek Trail between Greathouse Park and 71 B could be open in the near future.  

Was also able to check out a portion of the Razorback Greenway in Springdale for the first time.  They've opened the area near Lake Fayetteville now.  There are still some sections that they're working on.  A small section not too far north of Lake Fayetteville.  A section north of the Junior High School on Powell St.  And most notably a section around the Don Tyson Prkwy.  But even having to take to the street a couple of times, you can pretty much make it all the way up to Hwy 412 East.  

Outstanding! Thanks for the report. Lots going on!

Outstanding! Thanks for the report. Lots going on!

Actually I've got another little update.  Looks like the crew was busy yesterday.  Looks like wiring on the lights for the Town Branch Creek Trail is now done.  Some of the lights in the shaded areas were actually on this morning.  And looks like they've also poured the concrete for access to 71 B as well.  Just some striping and maybe a little landscaping is all that's left for that section of trail.  

Also forgot to mention yesterday that construction has started on the Mud Creek Trail.  Didn't go all the way over to Mall Ave.  But the section of trail going over the bridge on Steele Ave is closed as they widen it.  

The Tsa La Gi / Town Branch / Frisco loop is going to be great. There are some busy road crossings but it all adds up for a decent distance. My wife just got a bike. She will like the flat profile until she gets used to the climbs on some of the other trails.

Yeah I've been thinking about that future loop in south Fayetteville as well.  It will be nice to have a loop there and then there's the loop in northern Fayetteville around Lake Fayetteville.  

The Mud Creek Trail is open again in Fayetteville at the Steele Ave bridge.  Not sure but they might also be putting up some sort of barrier between the trail and the road.  So still some work to be done.  But now work is starting up over at the Mall Ave bridge now.  

Yeah I've been thinking about that future loop in south Fayetteville as well.  It will be nice to have a loop there and then there's the loop in northern Fayetteville around Lake Fayetteville.

My wife and I rode three times (Fri/Sat/Sun) this weekend for her first trail rides. Just got the bike this week and did some short rides to help her get used to the bike. Our house in Fayetteville is near campus. It isn't very easy to get to the trail yet but we have figured out some options. Once getting on the Tsa La Gi trail it's great. Her biggest challenge was the climb to Maple, both directions. She did great, IMO, but I know it hurt and was a struggle but she did it three days in a row. It's interesting to see someone new to cycling.

Luckily, most of the Fayetteville trail is flat. A few inclines but nothing major outside Maple and going into Veterans Park.

As a reasonably strong cyclist and triathlete I got a totally different view of things this weekend. Quite an eye opener. Though not enough workout for me, I enjoyed rides along with my wife more than any sole or group ride I've done in the past.

My wife and I rode three times (Fri/Sat/Sun) this weekend for her first trail rides. Just got the bike this week and did some short rides to help her get used to the bike. Our house in Fayetteville is near campus. It isn't very easy to get to the trail yet but we have figured out some options. Once getting on the Tsa La Gi trail it's great. Her biggest challenge was the climb to Maple, both directions. She did great, IMO, but I know it hurt and was a struggle but she did it three days in a row. It's interesting to see someone new to cycling.

Luckily, most of the Fayetteville trail is flat. A few inclines but nothing major outside Maple and going into Veterans Park.

As a reasonably strong cyclist and triathlete I got a totally different view of things this weekend. Quite an eye opener. Though not enough workout for me, I enjoyed rides along with my wife more than any sole or group ride I've done in the past.

I sorta know what you mean.  I've gotten some of my coworkers into riding and we've started doing a little riding the past couple of weekends.  Like you, I'm a pretty strong rider, and yeah I've also gotten a different view on things seeing my coworkers in action.  Like you said, over all Fayetteville isn't too bad, Maple and some of the Lake Fayetteville area really being some rather challenging spots.  Haven't been cycling much outside of Fayetteville yet.  But as far as the Razorback Greenway is concerned I've gotten the impression those spots in Fayetteville might be the most challenging over all for the Greenway as well.

Had some extra time today and thought with it being the holiday maybe traffic wouldn't be too bad.  So I looked around Springdale to see if I could any other signs of the future Razorback Greenway.  Probably would have helped if I had looked more into where exactly the route was going to go.  On Powell north of Hwy 412 all I could see was that some utilities have been moved.  Then on Park St just south of a creek I saw one small piece of trail.  But it doesn't go very far before it ends at the creek.  You can see some dirt being moved on the other side but no bridge.  Looked like there was a park there.  Then I totally lost any signs of the trail.  But don't think I went far enough west when I got to Emma Ave.  Not sure what creek that is, but I believe the Greenway will basically follow the creek all the way out northwestward out past the city limits.  Maybe next weekend I can take a look around again and see if I can find any signs of it.

I don't know about the plan for the bridge, they just poured the concrete up to the creek last week.  They've got gravel down along the creek up to the Meadow crossing at the creek.  The next section they are working on is along the creek on the north side of Huntsville.  They poured concrete where the creek passes under Shiloh St.  At Sanders Ave, they are working on more along the creek.

The next segment I know about is at the JB Hunt park.  They have a segment from the lake trail to the road almost done.  Across the road to the north, It is finished up to I-49.  After that, there are sharrows for you to take to the road until you meet up with the Rogers trail.  

Thanks for the report. Is the Powell section from Lake Fayetteville open all the way to 412?

Pretty much.  There's a gap around Don Tyson Prkwy and it dies off just a little bit before you get all the way to Hwy 412.  But they've completed a couple of smaller sections that weren't complete the weekend before.  Not sure if they'll work on Don Tyson Prkwy anytime soon or if they're jumping around and won't go after the major roadways till more of it's done.

I don't know about the plan for the bridge, they just poured the concrete up to the creek last week.  They've got gravel down along the creek up to the Meadow crossing at the creek.  The next section they are working on is along the creek on the north side of Huntsville.  They poured concrete where the creek passes under Shiloh St.  At Sanders Ave, they are working on more along the creek.

The next segment I know about is at the JB Hunt park.  They have a segment from the lake trail to the road almost done.  Across the road to the north, It is finished up to I-49.  After that, there are sharrows for you to take to the road until you meet up with the Rogers trail.  

Thanks for the update.   :thumbsup:

Archived