Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

Fayetteville Is also building a trailhead by the botanical gardens. It's not specifically for the Razorback greenway but would be a nice place to get to it from for those that live in the crossover area.

Good to know.  I'm guessing Fayetteville will also put one in somewhere in the south part of town as well at some point.  

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wife and I were out on the Springdale section between Emma and Lake Springdale yesterday morning.  There were a lot of trees laid out for planting.  It looks like that is at least part of what they will be doing with the trail being shut down this week.  Also, saw in the paper where they are replacing the outdated playground equipment at the little park downtown.

Wife and I were out on the Springdale section between Emma and Lake Springdale yesterday morning.  There were a lot of trees laid out for planting.  It looks like that is at least part of what they will be doing with the trail being shut down this week.  Also, saw in the paper where they are replacing the outdated playground equipment at the little park downtown.

The main reason the trail between 71 B and Lake Springdale is closed is that they're replacing cracked concrete.  They were doing some cutting over the weekend.  But yes I imagine having the trail closed will also help plant all those shrubs and small trees.  I also noticed over the weekend that they've painted those section of trail along Powell St where vehicular traffic will cross.  But still don't see any signage yet.  While the trail in south Springdale might not be the most exciting, I have to say that the Razorback Greenway from downtown Springdale northward is very nice.  A lot more scenic than I was anticipating.  That and they've really put a lot of little details in.  The wooden fencing and now all the vegetation they'll be planting.  

We saw the cutting that had been done.  I guess I hadn't paid enough attention to the surface to see the cracking.  I also saw the painting that had been done.  That already seems to be helping as the cars I saw stopped short of the green paint before proceeding out to the street.  The signs would help even more.

Any report on the progress in south Fayetteville? 

We saw the cutting that had been done.  I guess I hadn't paid enough attention to the surface to see the cracking.  I also saw the painting that had been done.  That already seems to be helping as the cars I saw stopped short of the green paint before proceeding out to the street.  The signs would help even more.

Any report on the progress in south Fayetteville? 

Actually, I haven't made it down that way recently.  But from what I gather Fayetteville isn't expecting it to be finished until sometime in May.  I think they recently started the install for the 15th St crossing.  Also sounds like the bridge is installed.  Also believe the retaining walls are finished south of 15th.  Aside from the street crossing, I guess the biggest thing left is just all the actual paving.

Been seeing a lot of marking around Fayetteville and even a little in Springdale and Rogers.  Judging from the size I think they're for future benches.  It also seems like Johnson is doing something.  They've had a larger spot marked out for a while.  Still trying to figure out what's going on there.  Maybe they're going to put in some sort of small trailhead.  

I think someone mentioned it before but there is a section around the lake on the Springdale trail that is pretty rough on a road bike due to the seams in the concrete. Is that a part of what's being fixed?

No, there were some cracks that developed when the concrete was drying.  Actually most were very small thin cracks.  But if left alone would allow weathering to happen more quickly.  Fayetteville has been rather pro-active on trying to take care of these cracks early now.  Because they can cause lots of problems after a few years.  If you think the seams are bad there you should check out some of the Benton County sections.  Seems like it gets rather rough around the Pinnacle Hills area in particular.  I think some of it is just learning as you go.  Fayetteville had some rough seams on part of the Lake Fayetteville Trail that were done a couple of years ago.  I mentioned it to our Trails Coordinator and they changed how they did the seams and haven't had any more problems since then.  

Yeah, I've been on the area near Pinnacle. Pretty rough as well. Not as bad on a MTB or hybrid/comfort bike. Not a major complaint but you definitely are right about Fayetteville. Smooth trails. That Springdale are from downtown to the lake is really nice, though.

Okay, managed to hit the small northern part of the Razorback Greenway I missed previously.  Gets narrow around Lake Bella Vista.  Also there's a couple of tunnels in northern Bentonville.  I saw lights in them but they weren't on.  Maybe they only turn them on at night?  Anyway the tunnels were long enough that it was pretty dark without the lights on.  Was paying a little more attention this time and noticed all those spots marked out for what I thought were going to be benches were all numbered.  Then I realized those much be the future mile markers.  Guess they're going to put a little more into them than I previously thought.  In the past Fayetteville used to put down some little markers right on the trail itself.  But because they keep adding on to the trail system all the time, the markers stopped meaning as much since trails were extended and so on.  So they eventually cut back on it.  But all of these seem like rectangular spots about the size of a bench on the side of the trail.  So guess they're going to be something a bit nicer.  Also wonder if that means if they ever add more trail on the north or south end that they won't consider add it on to the official Razorback Greenway because then it would make all the previous marker a bit obsolete.  

Anyway also noticed Springdale opened that small section of trail in downtown Springdale.  Still has to be more work done on the future trailhead.  But at least the trail itself isn't blockaded anymore.

This will be an odd piece of info to post here but apparently might have an effect on a small section of the Razorback Greenway and Fayetteville Trail system.  A Neighborhood Market was approved by the Fayetteville Planning Commission over in the Mill District area.  It still has to be approved by the City Council.  But one of the things I saw mentioned that there might be some changes to the Frisco Trail where it crosses Prairie St.  What I read stated changing it to a 'raised crossing'.  Top me that seems to be implying a bridge.  But that just doesn't seem right because in that same area is where the trail tunnels under MLK.  I don't see any way for it to be raised in elevation then suddenly have to dip down for the tunnel.  So I'm not really sure what the 'raised crossing' is referring to.  There will probably be more info come out whenever it goes to the City Council for final approval.

Also thought I'd mention the ribbon cutting for the Razorback Greenway will officially be May 2nd in downtown Springdale.  I've also been hearing some news of some new mountain bike trail going in near the Razorback Greenway near Lake Springdale.  Sounds like there will even be a paved trail leading off to the mountain bike trail.  

This will be an odd piece of info to post here but apparently might have an effect on a small section of the Razorback Greenway and Fayetteville Trail system.  A Neighborhood Market was approved by the Fayetteville Planning Commission over in the Mill District area.  It still has to be approved by the City Council.  But one of the things I saw mentioned that there might be some changes to the Frisco Trail where it crosses Prairie St.  What I read stated changing it to a 'raised crossing'.  Top me that seems to be implying a bridge.  But that just doesn't seem right because in that same area is where the trail tunnels under MLK.  I don't see any way for it to be raised in elevation then suddenly have to dip down for the tunnel.  So I'm not really sure what the 'raised crossing' is referring to.  There will probably be more info come out whenever it goes to the City Council for final approval.

Also thought I'd mention the ribbon cutting for the Razorback Greenway will officially be May 2nd in downtown Springdale.  I've also been hearing some news of some new mountain bike trail going in near the Razorback Greenway near Lake Springdale.  Sounds like there will even be a paved trail leading off to the mountain bike trail.  

Sounds like it will be the same as the raised crossing at North Street.

It will just be a speed table like most of the other crossings around the city

The MTB trail is well underway and near completion. Progressive Trail Design is doing it. I don't think it's going to be a long distance but it's going to be an excellent trail. Look at PTD's Facebook page for some pics.

Yeah not sure why the North St crossing didn't come to mind when it stated a 'raised crossing'.

Heard some more potential changes to the Razorback Greenway already, this time in Springdale.  Sounds like Springdale is planning on putting in a roundabout at Caudle and Park St.  The trail goes right by this intersection so it will also be affected as well.  Although Springdale has also said there isn't any timetable set on this project.  So it may not happen for some time.

Talked to Matt Mihalevich, the Fayetteville Trails Coordinator, today.  The southern end of Razorback Greenway in Walker Park will be finished by the ribbon cutting on May 2nd.  But the section of trail south of that, 15th St will take longer to complete.  

I had heard something about Fayetteville purchasing some water fountains a little while back.  Looks like they have started putting them in now.  They just put one in on the south side of the North St crossing on the Scull Creek Trail/Razorback Greenway.  But forgot to ask where others will be installed and if it's just for the Razorback Greenway section of the Fayetteville Trail system.  

The Fulbright Expressway Tunnel hasn't been forgotten, just put on the back burner with so much other stuff going on.  He's hoping to have something going on with it sometime this summer.  For those of you not familiar with this tunnel, it's the longest pedestrian tunnel in the state and goes under the Fulbright Expressway and the two frontage streets.  It stays rather wet and muddy year round.  

As far as trailheads with amenities go, Gordon Long Park will be the main 'trailhead' for Fayetteville with restrooms and such being added.  Does sound like another trailhead will be made just south of the Botanical Garden of the Ozarks near Lake Fayetteville.  But doesn't sound like it will probably get all the amenities that the trailhead in Gordon Long Park will get.  Oh and the city plans to add more parking at the Gordon Long Park trailhead also.

Also mentioned the spot on the trail just north of Gordon Long Park that tends to flood a lot.  I had assumed he knew about it and it one just one of those back burner projects that will happen one day.  I think he knows that it floods some but got the impression he didn't realize just how often it floods and how long the water tends to take to dry up there.  So now he is more familiar with it and sounded interested in trying to get something done about it in the near future.  Wish I had mentioned it to him sooner.

Thanks for the updates. Nice to get info from the main source! I think the Walton Foundation donated money for the fountains. Something > $20,000 as I heard. Glad they are finally being installed. I have used the existing one at GL Park.

I ran the trail today behind Mountain Man Pawn. There was a barrier but it's been pushed down so obviously several have been checking it out. There is now concrete from 71 to be east probably 300-400 feet finished. Then a gravel base to a bridge. The bridge is getting close to usable. I imagine the path will be have full concrete soon.

I just can't say enough about the quality of work on the trail system in general. Every city is really doing fantastic work.

Thanks for the updates. Nice to get info from the main source! I think the Walton Foundation donated money for the fountains. Something > $20,000 as I heard. Glad they are finally being installed. I have used the existing one at GL Park.

I ran the trail today behind Mountain Man Pawn. There was a barrier but it's been pushed down so obviously several have been checking it out. There is now concrete from 71 to be east probably 300-400 feet finished. Then a gravel base to a bridge. The bridge is getting close to usable. I imagine the path will be have full concrete soon.

I just can't say enough about the quality of work on the trail system in general. Every city is really doing fantastic work.

Yeah lately I've been heading north to check out the Razorback Greenway.  But earlier today, before the rain, I headed south for a change.  Looks like the Town Branch Creek Trail is paved about halfway between 71 B and the bridge.  Doesn't look like anything between the bridge and 15th St has been paved from what I could tell.  Most of Walker Park has now been paved.  Just a small section in the southwest part of the park.  Hadn't realized that much had been done in the past 2-3 weeks.  

So I'm new to the cycling world but I made up to Lake Springdale from south Fayetteville (34.78 miles round trip) and I just had a few thoughts about the Springdale portion of the greenway. At a lot of the sections where the greenway crosses major roads in Springdale, the buttons to get a signal to get across the road are not built to a convenient height for bikers and some of them are also a few feet from the greenway itself which made for some awkward maneuvering to try and hit the button. I doubt I'm the only person that has ran into this issue. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the trail in Springdale and the boardwalk area is awesome (wish we had a section like that in Fayetteville). Also noticed that cars in Springdale are getting used to the presence of the greenway because I had several stop to let me across without having to push the warning lights button, its commonplace in Fayetteville but I wasn't expecting it in Springdale which hasn't really had any major trails up until now. I'm also wondering if there are plans to improve the trail around Lake Springdale, because right now it's in pretty rough shape and too narrow to have bikes, pedestrians and people fishing all on the same 8 feet of pavement.  

So I'm new to the cycling world but I made up to Lake Springdale from south Fayetteville (34.78 miles round trip) and I just had a few thoughts about the Springdale portion of the greenway. At a lot of the sections where the greenway crosses major roads in Springdale, the buttons to get a signal to get across the road are not built to a convenient height for bikers and some of them are also a few feet from the greenway itself which made for some awkward maneuvering to try and hit the button. I doubt I'm the only person that has ran into this issue. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the trail in Springdale and the boardwalk area is awesome (wish we had a section like that in Fayetteville). Also noticed that cars in Springdale are getting used to the presence of the greenway because I had several stop to let me across without having to push the warning lights button, its commonplace in Fayetteville but I wasn't expecting it in Springdale which hasn't really had any major trails up until now. I'm also wondering if there are plans to improve the trail around Lake Springdale, because right now it's in pretty rough shape and too narrow to have bikes, pedestrians and people fishing all on the same 8 feet of pavement.  

As far as the buttons go to cross streets, I'm afraid that's somewhat common.  A lot of it just comes from the fact that no one thought about the possibility of a trail going in when those stoplights were originally put in.  I imagine it would cost a lot of money to change so I wouldn't hold my breath on that happening anytime soon.

As far as traffic goes in Springdale.  I think some of it also depends on what areas you're dealing with.  So far it seems to me that Powell St is the biggest concern.  Especially between the schools and Hwy 412.  But as time goes on, hopefully more and more people will get used to the trail there.

Yeah the boardwalk section is cool.  Pretty sure Fayetteville is scheduled to eventually get a boardwalk section as well, but it's going to be away from the main trail system.  Whenever they extend the Clabber Creek Trail in west Fayetteville, pretty sure as of now there are plans for some sort of boardwalk.  Not sure if it will be exactly like Springdale's or not.  

I've asked around about the area of trail around Lake Springdale.  So far no one has gotten back to me.  The people I talk to the most have more to do with the Fayetteville Trail system and don't really have anything to do with trails outside the city.  But yeah, hoping that eventually something will happen around Lake Springdale.  Although for now my guess is that it will be staying that way for the time being.  Certainly don't see any changes before the ribbon cutting.  While they may not be as rough there are quite a few narrow areas on the Benton County section of the Razorback Greenway.  After you get a bit north of the Pinnacle Hills area, the trail basically becomes just a regular sidewalk for a while.  There's also one section in Bentonville where you take to a residential road before you get back on an actual trail.  

Okay, I hate feeling like I'm bombarding people all the time with little bits of info about the trails.  Let's see if I can remember everything and post it all at once....

Forgot to mention, for some reason Fayetteville removed the motion detector from the Center St crossing on the Frisco Trail.  Now you push a button for the lights to flash.  No idea if Fayetteville is planning on getting rid of all the motion detection crossings or just this one in particular.

The one thing sometimes about putting in new trails is sometimes there are things you didn't anticipate.  In northwest Springdale (at least I think it's still Springdale, hard to tell where city limits are sometimes on the trail system) I've already noticed some sections of trail that seem to be staying wet.  Not like an actual 'spring' but more like a seep where there's a little bit of water slowly flowing and no it's going across some areas of the trail.  Of course with all the rain we've been getting recently now there's a lot more water on that area of trail.  There's also lots of mud, rocks and debris around that whole area of Razorback Greenway from Springdale up into Lowell.  Not sure if this will be an ongoing problem every time there's heavy rains.  Fayetteville is pretty good on their upkeep on the trail system.  But not really sure how other cities are going to handle things like this.  especially if it's an ongoing issue.

The one crossing on W Monroe in Lowell is still 'closed'.  Everyone of course just goes around it.  I've wondered why they seem insistent on having it closed.  But apparently they are now doing roadwork there.  Not only adding stoplights and an eventually crosswalk.  But building up the road as well.  Now the road is about half a foot higher than the trail there.  So guess at some point they'll have to tweak the trail to match the elevation of the road.

I've heard about Springdale planning some other trails.  But figured nothing would be happening till well after the Razorback Greenway was finished.  But today noticed a new trail.  On Park St where the trail leaves the street and starts following Spring Creek westward.  On the north side of the creek and east side of Park St I saw some new concrete for some other trail.    

What sort of improvements are they going to do to the Fulbright tunnel?  Figure that was a lost cause as it was never meant to be a pedestrian tunnel.

Went to Springdale for the time in a few weeks, they've made some improvements along Powell.  Most (all?) of the turns have been painted green, with yellow pylons at each turn.  And all the pylons are now secured with sturdy looking bolts.  Wish they would add these sorts of pylons to the bike lanes along Crossover and east MLK.  Would be a relatively cheap way to make those lanes usable.  The crossing at Robinson has also been striped, though I wish they would do something to make it more visible.  Maybe a crossing of the sort on North St in Fayetteville.  I like the downtown Springdale section apart from where the trail intersects Emma, there's a very tight couple of turns there that are shared with a sidewalk.

What sort of improvements are they going to do to the Fulbright tunnel?  Figure that was a lost cause as it was never meant to be a pedestrian tunnel.

Went to Springdale for the time in a few weeks, they've made some improvements along Powell.  Most (all?) of the turns have been painted green, with yellow pylons at each turn.  And all the pylons are now secured with sturdy looking bolts.  Wish they would add these sorts of pylons to the bike lanes along Crossover and east MLK.  Would be a relatively cheap way to make those lanes usable.  The crossing at Robinson has also been striped, though I wish they would do something to make it more visible.  Maybe a crossing of the sort on North St in Fayetteville.  I like the downtown Springdale section apart from where the trail intersects Emma, there's a very tight couple of turns there that are shared with a sidewalk.

To be honest I'm not totally sure on which idea they'll try to implement on the tunnel.  Seems like I recall possibly repaving the floor of the tunnel sloping it more and allowing channels so that the water drains better.  Might be something involving raised grates as well.  Not sure if they've decided yet.

I don't know how much more needs to be done to make the Robinson crossing visible.  Unlike the North Street crossing, the Robinson crossing is at an established intersection with a full compliment of traffic lights.  The reasoning for the increased visibility of a raised crossing at North and Emma is that these are mid-block crossings.  

Archived