Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They dropped off a bunch of those huge concrete blocks by Razorback Rd. Should be a lot of work soon done given the upcoming weather.

Speaking of which, Matt Mihalevich the Fayetteville Trails Coordinator, just put out an update to city officials today.  One of the things he mentioned was the big concrete blocks for retaining walls near Razorback Rd.  The city had wanted to put a HAWK pedestrian crossing on Razorback Rd for that trail crossing.  But AHTD said there wasn't high enough traffic counts for it.  So sounds like the city is going to try for a flashing beacon for the crossing and a pedestrian island in the center of the road.  

Also in Fayetteville I've also seen work being done for a small section of trail near the Gregg/Poplar intersection.  It won't hook up directly to the rest of the trail system.  But the Scull Creek Trail is close by and Poplar has signage for sharing the road with cyclists.  The small section of trail will run between Gregg to Yates.  I think the city is trying to make it easier for people to access the school over in that neighborhood and not make people have to go all around the block to get over to that area.  

• 1 month later...

Seems like work is progressing slowly on the Town Branch Creek Trail extension.  There is a section paved between S Garland Ave and Razorback Rd.  But it doesn't connect up to the rest of the trail yet.  I did notice several weeks ago that Fayetteville is also slowly getting up the mileage stickers on the lampposts along the Razorback Greenway.  They start up at Walker Park and not the zero mile marker south of there.  They progress northward to around the Maple/Frisco area.  Somewhat interesting, they decided to get the stickers to match the color of the lampposts.  If you haven't noticed, Fayetteville has used several different styles of lampposts before settling on the current style.  So in some areas you can tell you're on an older section of trail because it has different lampposts.  Anyway one of the older stretches of the Frisco Trail has a different style of green lampposts and they went with green stickers for those instead of the black for the more current lampposts.

Up in Springdale the Jones Center spur seems just about complete.  There is a small section still not completed right in front of the Jones Center.  But the rest of it is pretty much done.  Still some debris out on the trail and no crosswalk yet for the Park St crossing.  Probably a little landscaping, but it's basically usable now.  It ends up going right along the northern section of the runway at the Springdale airport.  Got to see someone's private jet take off this morning as I was checking out the trail.  Never realized those small jets were that noisy till now.  :lol:  They also had a section of trail closed down up at Lake Springdale.  Hoping by next weekend maybe that new section bypassing the old Lake Springdale trail will be open.  With the hotter weather this time of year, haven't been north of Lowell to see if anything has been happening further north up in Benton County. 

Great updates, Mith. Thanks. Just last weekend I noticed the new trail/mileage stickers on the Tsa La Gi trail and noticed the ones on the official Greenway trail yesterday. I think it's great. A bit difficult to notice on the black light posts but the green ones are easy to see.

The area between S. Garland and Razorback Rd. didn't appear to have much work done the last couple weeks. They still have to build a bridge so it may take a while. Beyond the bridge it seems a good portion of the major work is done. It's going to be a really great addition to the trail. I will be really happy when the entire south loop is finished and we are well on our way.

The new trailhead in Springdale is all but complete. The paving and striping is done. The pavilion is almost done. It looks awesome. Really a beautiful area. Also, the lake "bypass" section is almost done as well. The paving appears to be done but landscaping and cleanup remains. It will be nice to be able to ride without worrying about kids, geese and fishermen.

Great updates, Mith. Thanks. Just last weekend I noticed the new trail/mileage stickers on the Tsa La Gi trail and noticed the ones on the official Greenway trail yesterday. I think it's great. A bit difficult to notice on the black light posts but the green ones are easy to see.

The area between S. Garland and Razorback Rd. didn't appear to have much work done the last couple weeks. They still have to build a bridge so it may take a while. Beyond the bridge it seems a good portion of the major work is done. It's going to be a really great addition to the trail. I will be really happy when the entire south loop is finished and we are well on our way.

The new trailhead in Springdale is all but complete. The paving and striping is done. The pavilion is almost done. It looks awesome. Really a beautiful area. Also, the lake "bypass" section is almost done as well. The paving appears to be done but landscaping and cleanup remains. It will be nice to be able to ride without worrying about kids, geese and fishermen.

Thanks for the Springdale updates.  Didn't have a chance to make it up there this past weekend.  Yeah not much work has happened on the Town Branch Creek Trail extension lately.  Don't remember if something is holding up the bridge work, but either way got the impression might be a while longer before work on the bridge starts up.  Doubt they'll pave much more till then.  No need in paving just to have heavy equipment on it and damage it when they do the bridge work. Looking forward to having that bridge done.  Right now the Tsa La Gi Trail ends at Razorback Rd.  If they can get the Town Branch Creek Trail over to Razorback as well.  I can just use the road itself and make my own shortened loop till they get more of the southern loop done. I did see they've started doing a little work westward past the isolated segment of the Town Branch Creek Trail.  Looks like they've also started a little work southward on Hollywood Ave where the Tsa La Gi Trail ends as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

Never got around to mentioning last weekend that the 'bypass' around the Lake Springdale section is open.  And after the Jones Center Trail was basically open then they tore up section of it last weekend.  I'm assuming to fix cracked section of concrete.  But by this weekend the Jones Center Trail looked usable again.  

Nothing going on around the section of the Town Branch Creek Trail between Greathouse Park and Razorback Rd down in south Fayetteville.  I'm under the impression something is holding up work on the future bridge and until that happens there won't be any more work done around that area.  I was under the impression work may not even start on the bridge till October.  But work has been happening on that lone section of the Town Branch Creek Trail east of Razorback Rd, the one that's been around for several years all by itself.  On the west end of that section they've paved around a quarter of a mile and looks like they're ready to pave more sometime in the near future.  I've also noticed a very small section of future Tsa La Gi Trail paved east of Beechwood Ave at the future apartment complex with modern/post-modern/Ozark modern style of architecture.  But they've also but up a big fence, so I guess don't expect to be using any of it in the near future.  Probably not until that complex is closer to being finished.

Also probably should have already mentioned this.  Probably won't have any bearing on the northern parts of the Razorback Greenway.  But for those of you using the southern part of the Greenway, especially around Fayetteville.  Keep in mind the U of A is going again.  I believe this year's enrollment is around 26,000-27,000.  While not all of those people will be using the trails there will be more usage.  Regular trails users have probably already noticed a lot more activity around the Fayetteville section.  Some of these people will also be totally new to the trails.  So not only will there be more activity to look out for.  But don't underestimate people's ability to ignore all trail signage and be totally oblivious to their surroundings.  :lol:

The new trailhead at Lake Springdale is open. Still needs landscaping but it's open. Very nice and pretty large as well. Also, I finally found the Thunder Chicken MTB trail. Just follow the concrete path by the new trailhead for half a mile or so. It goes on the other side of the water plant. I didn't ride it as I was on my road bike but plan to soon.

Totally agree with the sentiment about the students being back. The biggest concern for me is the street crossings, especially Center St, which kids just fly both directions. Have to be very careful there. 

I'm disappointed about the delay on TBC with the bridge. It is so close to being finished.  

In Rogers north of Pleasant Grove there is a reroute being developed around the section that goes by the apartment golf course. I'm posting a pic of the info sign.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Interesting, I hadn't heard about reroute in Rogers.  With the hot summer weather hadn't made it up there in a while.  I do remember seeing some sort of work being done in that area a while back.  Just assumed it was utility work.  I wonder if they're just working on that tunnel.  But seems like you wouldn't have to bypass so much of the trail near the gold course for that.  

Yeah it is disappointing about the bridge down in south Fayetteville.  I suppose the silver lining is by the time it is completed there will be a lot more trail completed east of Razorback Rd.  Can't recall which federal agency is involved, but some red tape involving it is what appears to be the hold up with the bridge.  Seems like every time the city thinks it has the matter taken care of, they have to file more paperwork before they can proceed with the bridge work.

That Jones Center extension goes through a bit of a sketchy area. When I rode it the sides of the path were severely overgrown and the surrounding housing made me keep my eyes keenly open. I grew up in Springdale and lived not too far from Parsons Arena, so I'm not just being a jerk. I WANT it to be great but that area of Springdale is probably the least safe of the entire RG plus extensions. 

Fayetteville sections of trails get vandalized as well.  They wouldn't tear up the concrete for that.  They tore up sections of the Razorback Greenway earlier in the year to fix cracks.  Pretty small, but if they don't take care of them now, they'll get worse quickly.  Especially during winter weather season.  I know that particular neighborhood isn't the best, but guess it didn't really stand out to me either.  But I also grew up in Pine Bluff, so don't think there's anything in NWA that would really phase me.  :lol:

• 1 month later...

It's getting to be about that time of year when things wind down, but thought I'd mention a few updates.  Springdale officially opened it's mtn bike park and it's Razorback Greenway bypass around Lake Springdale.  I had thought the trail spur over to the Jones Center had been officially opened as well.  But last weekend I checked it out again and still looks like they haven't totally finished.  And for that matter some sections of the trail weren't looking so great.  Still rocks and debris on some sections of trail and some areas were way overgrown with weeds.  Hopefully they'll take care of this sometime soon.  Although it's about that time of year that most people put up their bicycles and jogging shoes.

Been forgetting to update Fayetteville and it's mileage stickers on the lampposts.  They've got everything done northward of Walker Park now.  I don't usually use the trail system at night so I keep forgetting the lighting only goes just slightly beyond the Fulbright Expressway tunnel.  But all of that is done now and they've even put some up on some of the other trails running off the Razorback Greenway.  But still nothing further south of Walker Park.  

Still disappointed to not see any preliminary work being done on the one bridge down in south Fayetteville on the Town Branch Creek Trail.  They've been making a push on the other section of the Town Branch Creek Trail however.  I imagine the recent warm weather we had helped.  So now west of Razorback Rd is paved all the way over behind the Best Western Inn and Tyson offices on MLK.  Just a stone's throw away from where the Tsa La Gi Trail currently ends.  They've already started work at the end of the Tsa La Gi Trail  west of Beechwood Ave.  Have a feeling that part of the loop might get connected up before the end of the year.  That would just leave a gap on the Tsa La Gi Trail between Beechwood Ave and Razorback Rd and then basically the bridge just southwest of Greathouse Park on the Town Branch Creek Trail.  Not sure how much work will get done during the Winter.  But hoping they might have that southern loop completed late Winter/early Spring.

Looks like preliminary work has started in west Fayetteville on the eastern end of the  Clabber Creek Trail.  Currently the trail ends near the bridge on the north end of Rupple Rd.  I'm really not sure if there's enough room to go underneath that particular bridge even though the trails does go all the way up to that bridge.  After all the trail work subsides in south Fayetteville the city will most likely begin working a lot of extending all the trails in west Fayetteville; the Shiloh, Clabber Creek and Hamestring Creeks Trails and have them all interconnected with each other in the next year or so.  

Haven't really been north on the Razorback Greenway past Lowell in quite a while.  They had already started on the future reworking of the trail near that golf course in Rogers a bit south of the Pinnacle Hills area.  I also don't recall having heard about it before.  But sounds like work is really coming along in Bentonville on a tunnel that will allow trail users to bypass one of the busier streets there.  Don't happen to have any other details.  Had just come upon that little tidbit of info somewhere.  Probably won't have a chance to ride all the way up to that section of the greenway again till Spring to check it out in person.

Tried the multi-use path that runs along the new Van Asche extension.  It's nice but there's gap in the path and sidewalk under 49.  Some construction going on, was blocked by dozers in two spots.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  I tried it out as well a couple of weeks ago.  Looks like it's going to take some major work to fill that gap, the way it's currently configured.  Sorta thinking they might not get around to that for a while.

• 5 weeks later...

Saw a few new things on the sw side of town today.  Can now get near the intersection of MLK and 49, then the trail loops back east.  Workers were out on that section.

The trail that's a bit south of Razorback and 15th has progressed a little, maybe a couple hundred yards to the east. 

Also saw new sharrows and a bike lane on Mitchell st.

1 hour ago, aerotive said:

Saw a few new things on the sw side of town today.  Can now get near the intersection of MLK and 49, then the trail loops back east.  Workers were out on that section.

The trail that's a bit south of Razorback and 15th has progressed a little, maybe a couple hundred yards to the east. 

Also saw new sharrows and a bike lane on Mitchell st.

Yeah the city was really making a big push the past weeks ago when we had some of that warmer weather.  They've also recently added a new stretch of the Tsa La Gi Trail so that there really isn't much missing from connecting it and the Town Branch Creek Trail near Hollywood Ave.  The big problem left is the bridge on the Town Branch Creek Trail east of Razorback Rd.  Some sort of bureaucracy has really held that up for some reason. 

• 3 weeks later...

I went up to Rogers on the Greenway, first time since June.  The pedestrian buttons at the Wagon Wheel intersection are still flaky, anyone know who's responible for that?  Rogers, Lowell, Springdale, the county?

The Monroe intersection is still under construction, it's as bad or worse as back in June.

The detour near Bellview is still there, it's well marked.  Probably adds an extra minute or two of travel time.  Don't see them getting it done by the 31st, still looks there's a lot to do.

There were a few new water fountains, benches, trash bins, etc in the Benton county sections.

The water fountains in downtown Springdale, the newish one in Johnson, and the one in Gordon Long Park in Fayetteville were all dry/not working.

6 hours ago, aerotive said:

I went up to Rogers on the Greenway, first time since June.  The pedestrian buttons at the Wagon Wheel intersection are still flaky, anyone know who's responible for that?  Rogers, Lowell, Springdale, the county?

The Monroe intersection is still under construction, it's as bad or worse as back in June.

The detour near Bellview is still there, it's well marked.  Probably adds an extra minute or two of travel time.  Don't see them getting it done by the 31st, still looks there's a lot to do.

There were a few new water fountains, benches, trash bins, etc in the Benton county sections.

The water fountains in downtown Springdale, the newish one in Johnson, and the one in Gordon Long Park in Fayetteville were all dry/not working.

Thanks for the updates.  During the colder months I stick more around just Washington County.  A lot of the water fountains were recently turned off so there wasn't a problem of frozen pipes.  It's been suggested people either make use of restroom facilities to fill water bottles (the one in downtown Springdale is quite nice).  Or have to rely on nearby convenient stores and such.  I've mentioned the Wagon Wheel button issue a while back to someone.  No idea if anyone ever looked into it or not to be honest.

The western part of the southern loop in Fayetteville has been slowly progressing.  It's all connected now except the crosswalk area going onto Hollywood Ave.  The section of the Tsa La Gi Trail has also been completed through the modern apartment complex east of Beechwood Ave.  But it ends right at the edge of the property line.  I know that section of trail around Beechwood Ave isn't officially open yet.  But I'm hoping some of the problems I saw will be addressed by then.  Landscaping crews had parked all their vehicles on a section of the Tsa La Gi Trail west of Beechwood Ave.  Literally right in the middle of the trail so that you had to go off into the grassy area to go around.  Then on the apartment complex east of Beechwood Ave, one section of the Tsa La Gi Trail has apparently been made into a scooter parking lot.  Nothing major, but just annoying.

Been meaning to mention this.  In Fayetteville looks like Washington Regional is building an elevated walkway from their new women's unit westward across the creek and the  Scull Creek Trail to their parking lot.  Just hoping it's not a 'watch your head' type of thing and they make it high enough.

I've passed on again the info about the Wagon Wheel Rd crossing in Springdale for the Razorback Greenway.  I took advantage of the warm weather and went up to Benton County.  A lot of other people were out as well.  Ended up with a pretty big crowd waiting for the pedestrian light to turn green.  Everyone basically just gave up and made breaks for it in small groups trying to avoid traffic.  The person I sent the info to, usually is pretty good about this type of stuff.  But so far still no response.

Also saw the trail detour in Rogers.  Yeah looks like still a lot to do, having doubts it will be done at the end of the month as well.  To be honest over all the weather has been pretty good.  Can't really use that as an excuse.

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, aerotive said:

Yeah, pretty much every tunnel is flooded and good chance most parts of the trail systems near a creek are flooded as well.  So this is going to be a really big mess even after the rain finally stops falling.

• 2 weeks later...

Few bits and pieces from around town.  The section near 49/MLK is still being worked on, could not get very far. The trail just south of 15th and Razorback has been worked on some....sidewalk and trail right by the road have been replaced, and a steel framework is under the railroad tracks.  No progress just east of there.

Over near the Porter exit on 49, the bit of trail under the bridge has been reopened.  Seems like that project is done, just some equipment to be removed.  The trail will need to be repaved, it's heavily damaged though usable.

Near Van Asche & 112 a very short section has been completed since the last time I was there.  Also anyone know what's being built just west of the 112 Business Center?

Looks like part of the Scull Creek Trail is closed while they install a new pedestrian bridge over the trail near Washington Regional.  Talked to a nearby construction worker though and he said they were nearly finished so hopefully the trail will be open again tomorrow.  There is technically a detour, but the sidewalk doesn't cover the entire detour.  Then you either just have to deal with the grassy  edge of the road or take to the roads.  But these aren't residential roads, so traffic is pretty heavy.  

On 1/6/2016 at 5:24 PM, aerotive said:

Can't get rid of this quote box...anyway, yeah I noticed the the closure on the city website.  The detour sounded unworkable so went to the SE part of town today instead.

To answer my own question from the other day, it's a church going in near 112/Van Asche.

• 4 weeks later...

Never got around to mentioning it, but had someone die on the Razorback Greenway in the past week up in Rogers.  That section right along 52nd St, where the trail is basically just a sidewalk near Mellow Mushroom.  It was a jogger that was hit by a vehicle.  There was already plans on rerouting that section.  But have a feeling now that this has happened that plan might get sped up.  But one of the reasons I even brought this up is because there was another death on the Razorback Greenway today, this time down in Fayetteville on the Clear Creek Trail north of the NWA Mall.  With all the windy conditions recently apparently a tree had gotten blown over on or near the trail.  From the sound of it, it appears the guy was standing on the tree or goofing around or something.  But either way, sounds like he most likely slipped and his shoelaces got caught and he ended up hitting his head on the concrete.  (Actually sounds more like it was a downed tree closer to the creek and his head may have gone underwater and drown.  Not hitting his head on the actual trail as I heard initially)

Archived