Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

Another general update.  Was able to fully take the trail in the SW part of the city for the first time today.  It loops back to the apt. complex that's near Mcdonalds on MLK.  Mostly complete, light poles are up but missing lights.  Where 16 meets the trail a signal has been installed, pretty sure it wasn't working yet.  No markings on the road yet either.  No visible progress again to the east but there were city vehicles and I could hear construction work.

On MLK, anyone know what's being done to the state land just south of Sonic/Chick fil a/etc?  There's construction work, trees marked, a few signs.

Up north, went up to Rogers, not a whole lot new.  Tyson has started work on their downtown office, and a park is being added where Emma and the trail intersect.  All water fountains but two were broken/turned off.

Also if anyone has time please contact the city about bike lane maintenance.  The ones on Stone, Old Farmington, and 15th are barely-there to non-existent in spots.  I did so awhile back with nothing done yet.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall not a lot of happened in south Fayetteville since aerotive's post a couple of weeks ago.  But thought I'd post a little info.  After a very long delay, the city is finally working on the bridge foundation on the future segment of the Town Branch Creek Trail east of Razorback Rd and the railroad tracks.  Although sounds like the bridge still won't be delivered for another 2-3 weeks.  At the moment looks like the city is mostly working on a future extension of the Clabber Creek Trail in west Fayetteville.  

The city has also very recently broken ground on improvements to Gordon Long Park, turning it more into a trailhead.  Restroom work should begin soon.  

Fayetteville has also begun work restoring the historic Lafayette Bridge, which also spans over the Frisco Trail.  A temporary structure has been put up to help shield trail users, but it also reduces the width of the trail quite a bit.

Also sounds like the city has started preliminary work on the Cato Springs Trail that will connect the trail system southward to the Mt Kessler area.  They are currently negotiating on right of way and also preparing to move fiber optic wiring for future trail construction.

• 3 weeks later...

Did a bit of exploring on the south side today during a run and took several pics but may have to post them separately. The bridge between Razorback and S Garland has the forms done on the two outside supports and concrete poured but I don't know if that was done befor Myth's last update.

Going west from there on the previously existing trails through two apartment complexes now connects to a new trail that goes up to Hollywood and connects to the trails through the apartments north of Baum. This is a fantastic trail with the only problem being the surrounding woods are used by the homeless. I could see several foot paths and even tents and other evidence of living not too far off the trail. Light poles are going up as well but I wouldn't want to ride or run there in the dark. Sad to say but most of the Fayetteville trail system is a bit scary in the dark. 

The trail ends, as it has for a while at the easternmost apartment complex north of Baum right by the train track. I'm not sure how they are going to connect it to the trail behind Chick-fil-a but it's close and the southern part is only awaiting that bridge. We will have a nice loop on the south side when that is done.

14 hours ago, IronScott said:

Did a bit of exploring on the south side today during a run and took several pics but may have to post them separately. The bridge between Razorback and S Garland has the forms done on the two outside supports and concrete poured but I don't know if that was done befor Myth's last update.

Going west from there on the previously existing trails through two apartment complexes now connects to a new trail that goes up to Hollywood and connects to the trails through the apartments north of Baum. This is a fantastic trail with the only problem being the surrounding woods are used by the homeless. I could see several foot paths and even tents and other evidence of living not too far off the trail. Light poles are going up as well but I wouldn't want to ride or run there in the dark. Sad to say but most of the Fayetteville trail system is a bit scary in the dark. 

The trail ends, as it has for a while at the easternmost apartment complex north of Baum right by the train track. I'm not sure how they are going to connect it to the trail behind Chick-fil-a but it's close and the southern part is only awaiting that bridge. We will have a nice loop on the south side when that is done.

I believe the bridge for that gap on the Town Branch Creek Trail should be delivered this week.  Hopefully it won't be too much longer before that is finished.  Honestly there's not that big of a gap on the Tsa La Gi Trail between Beechwood Ave and Razorback.  But don't think they've even started any work there so I wouldn't expect that to be completed anytime real soon.  Aside from that one gap with the bridge, the city has been focusing mostly on the west side of town.  They've done some work around Rupple.  But have done much more around Salem and have a nice stretch over towards the school over there now.  But still a gap between Rupple and Salem.  I believe the city is planning some sort of concrete boardwalk in the marshy area between there.  Or at least that's how they've been wording it.

Was able to spend the weekend checking up on some updates on the trails in NWA.  First of all down in south Fayetteville, the last bridge spanning the Town Branch Creek was delivered and now in place.  Although no concrete has been poured yet.  Not sure if they're working yet, but looks like most of the lampposts have also been finished as well in south Fayetteville and the lights for the Razorback Rd crossing are also now in place as well.  Although the actual crosswalk on the road hasn't been installed yet.  All of that will hopefully be completed in the near future and the Town Branch Creek Trail will be finished, just leaving the section of the Tsa La Gi Trail just west of Razorback Rd further north.

I had intended on checking up in Bentonville on some of the more recent work that's been done along the trails.  But ended up being sidetracked in Rogers.  I knew work had been going on there as well.  Not sure of the name of the trail.  But it's basically the trail you keep going on if you don't make the odd turnoff at Einstein Brother Bagels for the Razorback Greenway.  The last time I had checked this trail it really didn't extend that much further.  To be honest I wasn't expecting so much more trail to explore.  It extends north and eastward through Rogers.  I ended up at the Rogers Regional Sports Complex in north Rogers before I ended up at a sidewalk and lost track of the trail.  Maybe that's the end of it for now.  But I knew I had a long ride back to Fayetteville and went ahead and turned around.  I also wanted to explore another trail that branched off I had come across earlier.  There was a wooden boardwalk section before the trail extends westward.  I kept going till I came to a little park area and it looked like the trail branched again.  Later I checked online and looks like those trails merge back and end up terminating near a Sam's Club.  It was nice finding such a nice long trail off of the Razorback Greenway.  

My first post here. I am from Missouri and have made 3 trips to NW AR to ride the Razorback Greenway Trail. These were 3 overnight trips on a fully loaded touring bicycle. I camped at a campground several miles South of Fayetteville on 71, South of the airport. They did really well with this trail. I'd like to make a list at this point: The Station Cafe, What-A-Burger, Hog Haus, Arsaga's, Andy's Frozen Custard, Spark's Icecream at the WM Museum, Cow Patty RV, Pack Rat Outdoor Center and a few other places to fill up the gas tank and some I forgot. I've spent $$ at all these places and I think a whole lot more folks are going to make it down to do the same thing. I would say NW AR is a leader in these trails (I can't stand the term MUP). I encountered many folks riding brand new bikes...they looked like they had not been on one in many years so that's a good thing.

The trail is not 100% perfect but close to it. I could only think of a few negative things and they are pretty minor except for one. They are all safety related. The major one is where the trail crosses W. Stoney Brook Rd. (it's near a plaza that has the Mellow mushroom in it, not sure if this is Rogers or not). Drivers do not yield, do not pay attention to the crosswalk signal and do not stop before turning on red. I've already witnessed 2 bicycle/car yelling episodes in 6 trips through this intersection that did not involve me.

I would also say that a few people I saw on the trail South of Dickson street in Fayetteville gave me the creeps. I wouldn't suggest using this part of the trail without riding/walking/running with a buddy and would think twice about riding it after dark.

I look forward to many more trips on this trail. I did ride the Tsa La Gi Trail to the end to get over to What-A-Burger. Have not tried the rest of the loop South of Fayetteville.

I've never been more impressed with a paved trail. Ever.

3 hours ago, jonc123 said:

My first post here. I am from Missouri and have made 3 trips to NW AR to ride the Razorback Greenway Trail. These were 3 overnight trips on a fully loaded touring bicycle. I camped at a campground several miles South of Fayetteville on 71, South of the airport. They did really well with this trail. I'd like to make a list at this point: The Station Cafe, What-A-Burger, Hog Haus, Arsaga's, Andy's Frozen Custard, Spark's Icecream at the WM Museum, Cow Patty RV, Pack Rat Outdoor Center and a few other places to fill up the gas tank and some I forgot. I've spent $$ at all these places and I think a whole lot more folks are going to make it down to do the same thing. I would say NW AR is a leader in these trails (I can't stand the term MUP). I encountered many folks riding brand new bikes...they looked like they had not been on one in many years so that's a good thing.

The trail is not 100% perfect but close to it. I could only think of a few negative things and they are pretty minor except for one. They are all safety related. The major one is where the trail crosses W. Stoney Brook Rd. (it's near a plaza that has the Mellow mushroom in it, not sure if this is Rogers or not). Drivers do not yield, do not pay attention to the crosswalk signal and do not stop before turning on red. I've already witnessed 2 bicycle/car yelling episodes in 6 trips through this intersection that did not involve me.

I would also say that a few people I saw on the trail South of Dickson street in Fayetteville gave me the creeps. I wouldn't suggest using this part of the trail without riding/walking/running with a buddy and would think twice about riding it after dark.

I look forward to many more trips on this trail. I did ride the Tsa La Gi Trail to the end to get over to What-A-Burger. Have not tried the rest of the loop South of Fayetteville.

I've never been more impressed with a paved trail. Ever.

The area up at Rogers that you mentioned is a problem.  But that area is already been planned to be rerouted.  Just not sure when it will happen.  I will also say the south Fayetteville area is known for having some homeless in the area.  I've never had any problems with any of them.  But I can see that it might put off some people.  As you said, it's nice but not perfect.  Some problem areas were known in advance but left to be taken care of in the future when more funds and time were available.  The southern loop in Fayetteville isn't completed yet.  There's one very small gap, but the bridge is now in place and the city has already started pouring concrete there.  Then there's one more gap on the north side of that same loop near Razorback Rd.  

It wasn't open when I went by the past weekend.  But apparently the area in south Rogers near the golf course is now reopen.  Still work being done in that area, but at least the trail is now open again for trail users.

One other thing I forgot to mention...I have Google Earth downloaded on my laptop. About a month ago, I was looking closely at the Razorback Greenway and noticed many of the sections were missing beause it hadn't been photographed recently. Looks like it's been updated and now you can see the whole trail on the ground. Newish concrete is easy to spot also.

I did notice the trail near the Einstein Brother Bagels but didn't ride it (yet). I did look at it on Google Earth and the portion you rode was very visible. I'll have to try that one out sometime. I look forward to the completed loop South of Fayetteville.

I didn't see a whole lot of it but I know a ton of bike stuff was going on over the weekend (APR 23 & 24) road and mountain bike racing. A crowded Farmers Market in Bentonville on the square. Lots going on to make the ride enjoyable. What a wonderful trail.

Looks like concrete has been poured for the new bridge on the Town Branch Creek Trail down in south Fayetteville.  But other than that, can't really see any other work that's been done in that part of town the past week.  Work is continuing at turning Gordon Long Park in Fayetteville into a trailhead.  So far most of the work done has been expanding the parking lot.  But land has been cleared for a future restroom.

The detour signs are still up in Rogers, but the new area is open for trail users.  It's still right along the creek, so there's still potential for flooding.  But the trail is now higher than it was previously.  So hopefully flooding events will be minimized there.

Not really sure how long it's been open.  But finally got to check out the new tunnel in south Bentonville under Walton.  There's also a new bridge just north of the tunnel as well.  

The crosswalk for Razorback Rd on the Town Branch Creek Trail in south Fayetteville has been put in and looks like the lights are working now as well.  Also the trail is now paved from Razorback Rd over to the new bridge.  Just leaving the small section east of the bridge.  But looks like they've already put up forms and will be pouring more concrete soon.  So if things go well and the weather cooperates, maybe that that whole area will be open by next weekend.  There's still work to be done of course, landscaping, striping and so on.  But soon the southern loop will be complete except for the gap on the Tsa La Gi Trail between Razorback Rd and that more modern looking apartment complex on Beechwood Ave.  But I'm not sure work will be starting there anytime real soon.  Might not be till sometime this Fall before that happen from what I recall.  

Also haven't seen much work recently in west Fayetteville from what I can tell.  I know the concrete boardwalk is now being prefabricated currently.  But don't think that will be installed till sometime this summer of Fall as well.  Still curious to see what exactly this concrete boardwalk is going to be.  Will there actually be 'concrete planks', or will this be more like an elevated concrete deck.  A bit like the section of trail east of the bridge on the Clear Creek Trail just north of the NWA Mall area.

• 3 weeks later...

Two big road projects will soon start affecting the Razorback Greenway.  Construction on the Bella Vista bypass will close the Razorback Greenway from around the Slaughter Pen area to Lake Bella Vista for about four months.  Basically the northern most 2 miles of the greenway.  Haven't heard about any alternative routes being proposed for that area.  

Then the 412 bypass will also being closing the Razorback Greenway around the north Springdale/Lowell area.  Basically the area just south of the trail that goes under I-49 in that area.  If you've been in the area, you've already noticed the construction going on.  Sounds like it will also be closed around four months.  But it does sound like there will be an alternative route though for that section.  Don't know the specifics on the alternative route though.  But hopefully they'll have some signs up like they did for that section in Rogers near the golf course.

• 2 weeks later...

A few more updates.  I think this news broke right after my last post.  More tunnels are coming to the Razorback Greenway in Bentonville and sounds like funding has already been provided by the Walton Foundation.  The tunnels will replace the crossings at 8th and J, where you have to wait and cross both streets to continue on.  

More signage is coming to the Razorback Greenway, especially for some of the more confusing spots up in Benton County.  Particularly the odd loop around Einstein Brother's Bagels.  It's great they are listening to what people are asking for.  But too bad this is now coming after the Greenway has been open over a year and plans are already out about replacing that confusing spot.  Nonetheless better signage will be nice for everyone.  

Today is the ribbon cutting for the Town Branch Creek Trail in south Fayetteville.  And one more bit of Fayetteville trail news.  The prefabricated concrete planks for the boardwalk on the Clabber Creek Trail have started arriving.  But there seem to be problems with the edges being brittle and breaking.  Not sure if they'll have to start over or what.  Some have already been delivered to the work site in west Fayetteville.  They appear to be 1' by 4' or 5' concrete slabs.

RE Town Branch, read the delay there is due to problems with landowners.  Is it the loop still going to be completed?

Re the trail closure, livable so long as there are marked detours around them.  But simply closing large sections for months on end is unacceptable.  As of last weekend the trail near 49/412 was open and undetoured.

Also last time I checked the short section near the Porter exit is still unrepaired many months after the road work there.  Doubt there's a single street anywhere in the city that would left so gravely and potholed.

Not much new to the north...few beautification type things in Springdale...benches, flowers, trash cans, artwork etc have been installed.

Also saw during a recent Fayetteville council meeting that there are several spots due for repair soon.  The most heavily trafficked and serious is the north side hill up to Maple.  It's pretty badly warped.

On 6/11/2016 at 9:45 AM, aerotive said:

RE Town Branch, read the delay there is due to problems with landowners.  Is it the loop still going to be completed?

Re the trail closure, livable so long as there are marked detours around them.  But simply closing large sections for months on end is unacceptable.  As of last weekend the trail near 49/412 was open and undetoured.

Also last time I checked the short section near the Porter exit is still unrepaired many months after the road work there.  Doubt there's a single street anywhere in the city that would left so gravely and potholed.

Not much new to the north...few beautification type things in Springdale...benches, flowers, trash cans, artwork etc have been installed.

Also saw during a recent Fayetteville council meeting that there are several spots due for repair soon.  The most heavily trafficked and serious is the north side hill up to Maple.  It's pretty badly warped.

Southern loop will still be completed, just going to be a little while though.  

I think the reason no alternative route is being offered in Bentonville is because it's affecting the very northern edge of the Razorback Greenway.  While an alternative route is offered in Springdale because it's right in the middle.

They actually finally got started on the end of the Meadow Valley Trail near Porter Rd.  To be honest I was surprised because I thought it was going to take a while because AHTD was involved.  The trail will also be slightly rerouted there, taking it further away from the road.

The hilly area near Maple St in Fayetteville is a prime example of why the city stopped using asphalt and has gone to concrete for all trails now.  I believe I also heard the city is going to pave that gravel road that all those houses nearby use.  Anytime there's a heavy rain it seems to always wash gravel onto the Scull Creek trail there.

And one more topic I wanted to mention unfortunately.  Fayetteville seems to be having a bad time with vandalism on the trails.  Graffiti has gotten bad, particularly on the Tsa La Gi Trail and the Frisco Trail near MLK.  Vandals have also been going after the lights a lot recently.  Had a problem with that one particular summer a few years ago.  Most of the lights are LED now, so they don't break like the old bulb lights.  But now it looks like vandals are now somehow knocking the whole electronics out.  Even worse is that I noticed apparently vandals knocked one of the guardrails on the Tsa La Gi Trail just east of the tunnel under the railroad.  Going to be a real shame when Fayetteville has to cut back on future trails because they have to set aside money to repair all the damage being done.  Hopefully we're just going through a rough period and things will die down.

Wife and I had to detour around the Northern section of trail, North of the Crystal Bridges Museum due to rain. We were heading back North to our truck parked at the Lowes in Bella Vista/Bentonville (don't know for sure which town it is in). We had to detour around that section of trail due to rain and flooding on Sunday 6/12.

At SE 2nd street is a small park with a gazebo in it. This street is just South a little bit of the Bentonville square. We took shelter in it waiting for the heavy rain to pass. We headed West on 2nd Street over to 71B where we picked up another trail on the West side of the road and headed North. Eventually you'll run out of trail and have to ride on the shoulder of 71B for about a 1/2 mile. You can then pick up another trail again at the intersection of Stonehenge DR and NW 20th ST. The trail at that location is on the West side of 71B. This trail will take you to the Dog Park and eventually back to the Razorback Greenway. Due to rain we couldn't even make it to the dogpark...one of the runnels that goes beneath 71B was flooded with rushing water. We pushed our bikes easily up to the highway and went around it that way.

On another note, we rode three new trails last weekend. They all connect to the Razorback Greenway. The first one is the short trail that goes over to Bike Rack Brewing. The second one is the Turtle Creek Trail that is near Einstein Bagels and runs North/Northeast almost all the way to New Province Brewing. The third is a Blossom Way Trail that will take you all the way to Ozark Brewing. All of these trails were nice and fun to ride. It appears they might be making a loop that runs through the old part of Rogers.

I live in a large city in Missouri; I wish we had a trail system like this! Missouri is so far behind. The Katy is OK but only runs through very rual areas for the most part and most folks have top drive to a trailhead to use it.

All of the trails descibed above are easily seen on Google Earth, which I have downloaded on my computer.27202771223_376330f47d_b.jpg

27713055562_3539ede926_b.jpg

If you ever see me riding around, stop and say hello. Here is a picture of my bike and I usually have the bags on the bike everytime I ride in NW AR. Not too many folks running around with loaded bikes, although I have seen a few. It's basically a road/touring bike with 26" mountain bike wheels.

Surly Long Haul Trucker:

27275311270_cc2637023a_b.jpg

^^That is a nice map. Here is the route I took to get around all the flooded tunnels on the North end. My path ends at the Lowe's where I have been parking or like most continue to the end. The black portions are on road, red is trail. Several roads that leave near downtown Bentonville would get you around the flooded portions also. Choose whatever road you want to head West from the Razorback to this detour. I wish I would have taken some pictures of the flooding, but were a little on the soggy side and we wanted to get home. One VERY IMPORTANT note....this detour has one tunnel on it near the dogpark. Fast moving water. To get around that we simply pushed our bikes up the bank to 71, crossed the highway and headed North. The second picture is a closeup of the tunnel and you can see the parking area for the dogpark.

NW A Street out of downtown Bentonville looks like another good option and you avoid some of the road riding on 71 and the tunnel if it's flooded.

27861805616_0a37a02324_b.jpg

27820367791_6b48edbc0d_b.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for you jonc123.  :D

Looks like the end of the Meadow Valley Trail, the one near the Porter Rd exit on I-49 in Fayetteville, has been repaved now.  Landscaping still needs to be done, but it's now passable.  Seems like Fayetteville is mostly working behind the scenes on the future Cato Springs Trail.  Although I have seen one area of work just off Cato Springs Rd.  

• 1 month later...

A few construction  updates on the Greenway.  The north Pinnacle section is still crap, but there was a bit of ongoing construction.  Some hope.

The construction at Monroe has finally been completed.

As of yesterday no detours around the bypass construction.

Archived