Razorback Greenway and other NWA Trail Systems

Mith242

Yes, I can't wait to see how the trail connection to Gordon Long Park works out here. This is the major hold up for getting the Scull Creek trail really going.

Me too. I hadn't heard much about Gregg being closed this week. But I knew it was coming because there's still one more bridge to work on. But it's the Scull Creek trail I'm looking forward to the most. I think it will be the one that will benefit me the most especially when it connects to some of the others.

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article today detailing some of the work on Scull Creek Trail. This says the trail could be substantially complete by year's end. Wow.

http://www.nwanews.com/nwat/News/53136/

Yeah it could, but it sounds like a number of people won't be surprised if it isn't. Sounds like they're still not really sure what to do around North St. That makes me wonder if it's not going to be ready by the end of the year if they haven't even decided what to do there. They mentioned the possibility of raising the road to put in a culvert. That made me realize I don't recall seeing where the creek goes by North St. It's rather noticeable on Leverett but does anyone remember a bridge anywhere in that area for North St?

Yeah it could, but it sounds like a number of people won't be surprised if it isn't. Sounds like they're still not really sure what to do around North St. That makes me wonder if it's not going to be ready by the end of the year if they haven't even decided what to do there. They mentioned the possibility of raising the road to put in a culvert. That made me realize I don't recall seeing where the creek goes by North St. It's rather noticeable on Leverett but does anyone remember a bridge anywhere in that area for North St?

The creek crosses under North just west of the railroad tracks, next door to the convenience store/ laundromat parking lot.

Its a shallow culvert and no way to ride a bike under it.

I like the idea of a lighted trail crossing in that area.

I know it probably won't be completed to Wilson Park, but its progress; and it makes me start looking more seriously at mountain bikes because I can hook onto the trail fairly easily in the vicinity of Poplar Street, if for nothing else, just to ride around a bit.

The creek crosses under North just west of the railroad tracks, next door to the convenience store/ laundromat parking lot.

Its a shallow culvert and no way to ride a bike under it.

I like the idea of a lighted trail crossing in that area.

I know it probably won't be completed to Wilson Park, but its progress; and it makes me start looking more seriously at mountain bikes because I can hook onto the trail fairly easily in the vicinity of Poplar Street, if for nothing else, just to ride around a bit.

I guess I just tune that out. I've driven by there numerous times. But yeah I agree with you on a bike. I've put off getting one for a while now. But once the Scull Creek trail is finished I think that will be enough for me to finally break down and get one.

I stopped into Stone Mill Bread Co. at Sunbridge & Gregg this week.

I couldn't help but for a second recall how Gregg used to peter out into a country road on the north side before becoming a one-lane bridge in Johnson. The lack of traffic noise was nice and made me sentimental for a few seconds.

On the other hand, there was no Stone Mill Bread Co. before all the traffic. :lol:

I stopped into Stone Mill Bread Co. at Sunbridge & Gregg this week.

I couldn't help but for a second recall how Gregg used to peter out into a country road on the north side before becoming a one-lane bridge in Johnson. The lack of traffic noise was nice and made me sentimental for a few seconds.

On the other hand, there was no Stone Mill Bread Co. before all the traffic. :lol:

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about that one lane bridge in a long time. I also remember when Gregg was a 'back route' that not everyone seemed to know about to get to places without having to use College Ave.

• 3 months later...

The city has extended the trail at Lake Fayetteville. Looks like they've worked on the northern side of the lake. I believe they are going to try to get the multi-use trail all the way over to the Botanical Gardens.

lakefayettevilletrailuz7.jpg

By the way, should this topic be moved to the coffeehouse forum? What does everyone think?

Okay then. Back on the topic. I guess I was a little surprised to hear about the Lake Fayetteville extension. I hadn't heard any news about them working up there. Now if they could just connect it to the Mudd Creek Trail.

They also just discovered the largest Black Oak tree in the state on a new portion of the trail on the north side of the lake. I believe it was 14 feet around and 72 feet tall. Just in case anyone was interested in seeing it. :D

Okay then. Back on the topic. I guess I was a little surprised to hear about the Lake Fayetteville extension. I hadn't heard any news about them working up there. Now if they could just connect it to the Mudd Creek Trail.

Zion Rd will be expanded, and I believe bike lanes will be added. Vantage Drive has bike lanes to Joyce, and Joyce has trail-like sidewalk to Old Missouri Rd. From there, you're just a block from the Mudd Creek Trail.

It ain't a trail link, but in reality you can get from point A to point B if you try. Widening of Zion will make it all easier.

They also just discovered the largest Black Oak tree in the state on a new portion of the trail on the north side of the lake. I believe it was 14 feet around and 72 feet tall. Just in case anyone was interested in seeing it. :D

Yeah I heard something about that. I wish I knew about where it was. I wouldn't mind taking a look at that. maybe take a few pics, although it might be a bit too big to get in a pic.

Zion Rd will be expanded, and I believe bike lanes will be added. Vantage Drive has bike lanes to Joyce, and Joyce has trail-like sidewalk to Old Missouri Rd. From there, you're just a block from the Mudd Creek Trail.

It ain't a trail link, but in reality you can get from point A to point B if you try. Widening of Zion will make it all easier.

True, I don't know if they could do what they've been currently doing anyway. They've mainly been following creeks and streams. But I'm not sure there is a north-south one around that area.

• 1 month later...

I keep forgetting to mention this. With the city's income declining as more people shop in Benton County. People have been wondering if the trail system funds might start drying up in the near future. It would be a shame if the system ends up being halted or put on hiatus for an extended period of time. But if funds continue to shrink I can imagine a lot of people will speak out and say what a waste of funds it is and such.

I keep forgetting to mention this. With the city's income declining as more people shop in Benton County. People have been wondering if the trail system funds might start drying up in the near future. It would be a shame if the system ends up being halted or put on hiatus for an extended period of time. But if funds continue to shrink I can imagine a lot of people will speak out and say what a waste of funds it is and such.

I thought it was impressive that we swung getting in the walkability list before completing the trails. I feared we wouldn't finish, and with a tight budget it looks like it is the first to be held. Trails seem to only materialize near nicer neighborhoods.

I certainly hope the trails system doesn't lose support. It's a real asset to the city and provides another public transportation system. While I don't ride a bicycle I do walk sections of it regularly and it seems to get a lot of use even though it's not completed. I think the majority of the public supports it and doesn't see it as a waste. Hopefully when the Malco Theater and Sam's tax money starts rolling in the finance crunch will ease.

I certainly hope the trails system doesn't lose support. It's a real asset to the city and provides another public transportation system. While I don't ride a bicycle I do walk sections of it regularly and it seems to get a lot of use even though it's not completed. I think the majority of the public supports it and doesn't see it as a waste. Hopefully when the Malco Theater and Sam's tax money starts rolling in the finance crunch will ease.

I certainly hope you're right. Mayor Coody hasn't been too concerned and seems to be anticipating that things will be getting better. While some people do appreciate it, I can still see people arguing it's a waste of money. The people who argued that they didn't need to put bike lanes over on Crossover. For that matter probably the people who only want one to two story houses west of I-540. But anyway let's hope things do get better so we don't have to worry about it.

I thought it was impressive that we swung getting in the walkability list before completing the trails. I feared we wouldn't finish, and with a tight budget it looks like it is the first to be held. Trails seem to only materialize near nicer neighborhoods.

Happens with sidewalks and street lighting as well--only middle class neighborhoods and up consistently get them.

Happens with sidewalks and street lighting as well--only middle class neighborhoods and up consistently get them.

I think change in Fayetteville is affected more by the degree of expressed need for improvement and organization of those wanting it. Simply put- if you contact your elected officials often and virgorously enough you will see change regardless of your economic status.

If you want a street light, sidewalks, etc then you and your neighbors should contact your aldermen, mayor and whoever else will listen and tell them. Show up at city government meetings en masse and state your concerns. I think Fayetteville city government is very good about being responsive to the public's spoken concerns, sometimes to the detriment of the city good. There are times that outspoken groups convince city government to make decisions that are against what the silent majority wishes.

After rereading my post it almost sounds like a lecture and that isn't how I meant it. I just want to give an idea of how to affet change by becoming more active in our community. No one should feel like they are not enpowered to get what they deserve. :):)

Show up at city government meetings en masse and state your concerns. I think Fayetteville city government is very good about being responsive to the public's spoken concerns, sometimes to the detriment of the city good. There are times that outspoken groups convince city government to make decisions that are against what the silent majority wishes.

Very well put!

I think change in Fayetteville is affected more by the degree of expressed need for improvement and organization of those wanting it. Simply put- if you contact your elected officials often and virgorously enough you will see change regardless of your economic status.

If you want a street light, sidewalks, etc then you and your neighbors should contact your aldermen, mayor and whoever else will listen and tell them. Show up at city government meetings en masse and state your concerns. I think Fayetteville city government is very good about being responsive to the public's spoken concerns, sometimes to the detriment of the city good. There are times that outspoken groups convince city government to make decisions that are against what the silent majority wishes.

After rereading my post it almost sounds like a lecture and that isn't how I meant it. I just want to give an idea of how to affet change by becoming more active in our community. No one should feel like they are not enpowered to get what they deserve. :):)

That is a good point. But some of the other 'classes' I guess aren't always as worried about some of these aspects. But I would hope the city would still do something if people asked for it despite how well off they were. Although I think you could also argue that those well off citizens are more likely to have their concerns addressed first. But that's a different topic. :lol:

That is a good point. But some of the other 'classes' I guess aren't always as worried about some of these aspects. But I would hope the city would still do something if people asked for it despite how well off they were. Although I think you could also argue that those well off citizens are more likely to have their concerns addressed first. But that's a different topic. :lol:

Some neighborhoods have more active residents as far as petitioning the city for certain things. I won't say that I believe there is NO bias in city decision-making, but the squeaky wheels get the grease, as they say.

My neighborhood recently had a Neighborhood Association meeting where we voiced our wants and concerns for the neighborhood. Those things discussed are things that we will be taking to the city sometime soon.

My neighborhood is mostly lower middle class, and has a decent share of renters. Still, those who are concerned do show up and we are working together to try to get the attention of city hall to meet our needs. I'd say the city has been responsive to our concerns in the past.

Some neighborhoods have more active residents as far as petitioning the city for certain things. I won't say that I believe there is NO bias in city decision-making, but the squeaky wheels get the grease, as they say.

My neighborhood recently had a Neighborhood Association meeting where we voiced our wants and concerns for the neighborhood. Those things discussed are things that we will be taking to the city sometime soon.

My neighborhood is mostly lower middle class, and has a decent share of renters. Still, those who are concerned do show up and we are working together to try to get the attention of city hall to meet our needs. I'd say the city has been responsive to our concerns in the past.

It is true, is people are vocal enough they do tend to be heard no matter what background. So you could make the argument that some of the nicer neighborhoods are simply the ones making themselves heard. But I will also say that the city has made efforts that some of the trails, in particular the Scull Creek Trail, go by areas with lots of apartments. Some of which are comprised of many that would fit into the lower class category.

It seems to me that Ward 1 residents have been the most outspoken over the years and that ward is probably the most economically diverse in Fayetteville. It includes Mt. Sequoyah, Fayetteville Country Club and most of south Fayetteville, which is still relativley lower income. I think the reason it is more outspoken is that is it is home to the most established areas of town. The residents feel they have more of a stake in how Fayetteville develops and they often don't want it to change from the small town atmosphere it has had in the past.

The other wards have more of the newer development or in the case of Ward 2, a large student population that is more interested in university issues (or passing the next test ^_^ ). That is my shade tree sociologist reasoning on why Fayetteville politics seem to be anti-development at times. The older areas of town like things the way they are while the newer parts of town have residents that don't feel as much as part of the community and go with the flow. I don't mean to discount the civic activities of residents in other wards- just comment on how the city generally seems to work.

Maybe we should start a new topic-Fayetteville City Politics: how do they affect development and improvements?

Archived