Tall buildings outside of the bigger cities?

socaguy

Are there any highrises in Georgia outside of the main cities, (Atlanta, Augusta, Macon, Savannah, Columbus and Athen?) What about Albany? Valdosta? Rome? Brunswick? What are the tallest in each of these respective cities? Isnt there a highrise in Dalton? What city in Georgia outside of the biggies will have the next skyline? Brunswick perhaps?

Discuss...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any highrises in Georgia outside of the main cities, (Atlanta, Augusta, Macon, Savannah, Columbus and Athen?) What about Albany? Valdosta? Rome? Brunswick? What are the tallest in each of these respective cities? Isnt there a highrise in Dalton? What city in Georgia outside of the biggies will have the next skyline? Brunswick perhaps?

Discuss...

Brunswick, if I've heard right, is supposed to have a major multi-highrise project in a few years.

Valdosta has a 7 story hotel (Daniel Ashley Hotel or something like that).

Gainesville has a few buildings that are around 7 stories.

AFLAC building in Columbus has to be the tallest outside Atlanta. It's 20 stories at around 300 ft I believe. The Government Center downtown is 14 stories and not much shorter than AFLAC.

Its gotta be the ugliest outside of Atlanta too.

Its gotta be the ugliest outside of Atlanta too.

I wouldn't call it ugly. The building was built in the 50's. It is just a matter of time before AFLAC builds a new tower to grace the Columbus skyline. Out of all the GA cities, Columbus has the best chance of getting a new highrise.

Well there is a possibilty Augusta could get a new Judicial Center in the next few years. Possibly up to 20 floors but more likely a little shorter. And then there is the proposal for the new condo across from the National Golf course, originally at 17 floors but has been knocked back to midrise status now. Some sort of residential is being planned on the Riverfront at Reynolds and 5th street where the old train depot sits. I think they are talking about as many as 300 units...which could mean a couple of highrise buildings, or mulitple midrises. I dont think it will take too long before even the Augusta suburb of Evans starts building taller buildings. If some County Commissioners get their way, this area will grow vertically and much more dense than your typical suburb. Growth around the Medical College of Georgia is burgeoning and since the area is fairly dense and land prices have skyrocketed in the area..the only way to go is up.

Not that Columbus doesnt have a chance but Id say all the major Georgia cities have a good chance at getting a new highrise.

What about Savannah? Hutchinson Island seems ripe for development and the Georgia coastal areas are booming. Brunswick has plans for what looks like half a dozen or more 10-12 floor buildings (im guessing from those renderings). Macon, with its proximity to the sprawling southern suburbs of Atlanta, and Athens with its condo boom are contenders as well.

On the subject of ugly buildings...AFLAC really isnt that bad compared to some of the other 1950s-70s buildings in Georgias mid-ranked cities. The Suntrust building in Augusta, (around 11 floors) is definately not an attractive building. There are some 60's apartment blocks in the Med-District that arent too pretty either. Savannah and Macon has ugly ones as well.

Well there is a possibilty Augusta could get a new Judicial Center in the next few years. Possibly up to 20 floors but more likely a little shorter. And then there is the proposal for the new condo across from the National Golf course, originally at 17 floors but has been knocked back to midrise status now. Some sort of residential is being planned on the Riverfront at Reynolds and 5th street where the old train depot sits. I think they are talking about as many as 300 units...which could mean a couple of highrise buildings, or mulitple midrises. I dont think it will take too long before even the Augusta suburb of Evans starts building taller buildings. If some County Commissioners get their way, this area will grow vertically and much more dense than your typical suburb. Growth around the Medical College of Georgia is burgeoning and since the area is fairly dense and land prices have skyrocketed in the area..the only way to go is up.

Not that Columbus doesnt have a chance but Id say all the major Georgia cities have a good chance at getting a new highrise.

What about Savannah? Hutchinson Island seems ripe for development and the Georgia coastal areas are booming. Brunswick has plans for what looks like half a dozen or more 10-12 floor buildings (im guessing from those renderings). Macon, with its proximity to the sprawling southern suburbs of Atlanta, and Athens with its condo boom are contenders as well.

On the subject of ugly buildings...AFLAC really isnt that bad compared to some of the other 1950s-70s buildings in Georgias mid-ranked cities. The Suntrust building in Augusta, (around 11 floors) is definately not an attractive building. There are some 60's apartment blocks in the Med-District that arent too pretty either. Savannah and Macon has ugly ones as well.

As soon as Macon gets its Terminal Station project off the ground, and the MTA Headquarters moves there, there is a group waiting to put a tower consisting of condos, retail, and office space next to the river in Downtown Macon so I think all of the second tier cities have a decent shot at putting up the next highrise outside of Atlanta. As far as the aflac building goes, it IS extremely ugly, but i do agree that we all have ugly buildings in our cities (especially downtown macons abandoned buildings). I guess the aflac building is just a little more visible. :thumbsup:

What is it with the Fall Line cities and the atrocious architecture of our taller buildings anyway?

The tallest in Augusta is an EIFS clad 18 floor post-modern condo tower built in the early 90's. Its really not that bad, other than the fake stucco crap, but the 2nd tallest is a very ugly 17 floor bank building from the early 70's I believe. It is almost identical to one of Asheville NC's tallest buildings and I think that one is a Wachovia bank building as well. Then the third tallest is a 17 floor pre WW1 building that wouldnt be so ugly if it didnt have this glassy boxy penthouse making up the top few floors that was added onto the building by IM Pei back in the 70's.

• 1 month later...

Statesboro has a 12-story Gold Kist Building in the downtown area but its quite run down and looks like it may fall over any day. Two blocks over is a 6-story assisted living center. The Courthouse tower peaks out over the historic downtown buildings which are at best 4-stories each. Most of the buildings in Statesboro are surrounded by tall pines, but a lot of new development is taking down the taller greenery and exposing new views of the buildings. Mainly the best aspects of Statesboro's skyline would be around the GSU campus area where there is the 4-story Foy Fine Arts building, the 4-story Eagle Village, 4-story Henderson Library, 7-story Chemestry and Nursing Building, 7-story College of Education Building, the Nessmith-Lane Building, J-I Clements Stadium and the Paulson Stadium. Outside of campus lies the 5-story East Georgia Regional Medical Center, 5-story abandoned/haunted Packinghouse and several dozen 3-story apartment complexes. There are also several historic corridors of 3-story victorian homes, which are probably the only 3-story structures residents dont get tired of looking at.

Statesboro's problem with obtaining a skyline is height restrictions. The current city government doenst want Statesboro to grow into a big city and are doing many things to discourage economic development. Many developers have come in and proposed mid-high rise developments but are refused height variances from the city planners. Its kind of stupid though because all that does is makes the land area extremely dense with less greenspace since the developers then redesign the plot to hold the same amount of sq ft but under 3-stories of structure. With that kind of density causing rediculously high cost of land for a small city, the city is spreading out rapidly leaving little time for city officials to expand services outward. Eventually the only way to build will be up, and I mean only. Everyone who lives here are pretty much tired of seeing every way you can possibly build a 3-story building. GSU however gets to make up its own rules since it has such a significant shadow on the economy. The silliest part about the discouraging of economic development is that the city-county government breathes through the Special Purpose Local Option Sales Taxes. In the end, a skyline will be built eventually.

What is it with the Fall Line cities and the atrocious architecture of our taller buildings anyway?

The tallest in Augusta is an EIFS clad 18 floor post-modern condo tower built in the early 90's. Its really not that bad, other than the fake stucco crap, but the 2nd tallest is a very ugly 17 floor bank building from the early 70's I believe. It is almost identical to one of Asheville NC's tallest buildings and I think that one is a Wachovia bank building as well. Then the third tallest is a 17 floor pre WW1 building that wouldnt be so ugly if it didnt have this glassy boxy penthouse making up the top few floors that was added onto the building by IM Pei back in the 70's.

There is no shortage of ugly highrises in Augusta. The Lamar Building is a sad case because it used to be a pretty building until that guy put his penthouse on top (though that penthouse is really cool, it's totally glass and the elevator to get up there is completely glass just like the Westin in Atlanta. Used to work a couple of floors below and I used to love riding that thing). Does anyone else remember when that guy put the giant cross on top of it?

• 3 weeks later...

Athens has a couple. We have a Wachovia building downtown that is about eleven floors and next to that is an apartment building probably about ten floors. There are several buildings in the UGA campus that are several floors high. Not exactly a skyline but it is what it is.

Macon has a couple of downtown towers that would be in the running for tallest in Georgia outside of Metro Atlanta---the Fickling & Walker Tower and the BB & T Tower. I tried to find height information on them but with no luck.

Columbus has the tallest outside of Atlanta. It is AFLAC's HQ. I think it is close to 300 ft.

Archived