Springfield News and Announcements

Downtown Springfield getting noticed for it's revitalization and renovation of the Historic old buildings and landmarks that Downtown Springfield has to offer.

"Simple Living" Visits Springfield

The City of Springfield will host a crew from the PBS show

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I missed all those showings of Simple Living. That's too bad because I was really hoping to see more information about Springfield's developments.

Actually you didn't miss out on any of the episodes because it won't be aired until the fall or early spring 07'. I guess they have to tape way ahead of time, oh well.

I remember you saying that you might come to Springfield some time, if you let me know I can tell you how to get some cheap tickets, dinners etc. to places here in Springfield through the PM. :D

Actually you didn't miss out on any of the episodes because it won't be aired until the fall or early spring 07'. I guess they have to tape way ahead of time, oh well.

I remember you saying that you might come to Springfield some time, if you let me know I can tell you how to get some cheap tickets, dinners etc. to places here in Springfield through the PM. :D

I thought you meant they already aired in April of this year. I'm trying to find time to go to Springfield on a weekend, but I've already got weekends through July booked up. I'm thinking possible Aug/Sep for a Springfield trip. I'll let you know when I have a plan set. Thanks! :)

• 3 weeks later...

The Ozark Empire Fairgrounds are no longer being called that. The new name is the Missouri Entertainment and Events Center. This title is more suitably for the place seeing how it host some huge national events throughout the year such as Mid-America Street Rod Nationals, Concerts, Monster Truck Rally, Goldwinger International, Ozark Empire Fair, as well as many others. :D A new 5,000 seat arena, 500 car park as well as exspanding the E-Plex by 100,000 sgf. Already existing at the grounds is the 10,000 seat GRAND STANDS, the E-Plex, stockyards........

• 2 weeks later...

Springfield in National CBS Spotlight

Local fans of the CBS Early Show had a special treat Wednesday morning.

A crew from the early morning national broadcast showed up right here in Springfield to kick off Early Show`s summer Great American Vacation Giveaway Tour.

Exotic vacations will be given away to lucky viewers in 16 U.S. cities this summer, and Springfield was the first site.

Hundreds of fans and winner hopefuls showed up at Bass Pro Shops in Springfield to catch a glimpse of Early Show weatherman Dave Price, and listen as he announced the winner of the first vacation giveaway.

"We wanted to start in a city that really represents America. This is just one of those cities with friendly people, people who care about the community, a nice place in the middle of the county."

The Springfield winner Jodi Oehlke, an announcer at radio station 99 Hit FM. She won a trip to see the traveling King Tut Museum in Chicago, and as a bonus she`ll fly to Cairo, Egypt and see the real King Tut tomb on a private tour.

Downtown Springfield's 2005 Wi-Fi launch:

"CTIA: Springfield, Mo., launches downtown Wi-Fi network Unlike other cities, it saw little opposition to the project

News Story by Matt Hamblen

MARCH 15, 2005 (COMPUTERWORLD) - NEW ORLEANS -- In a bid to spur economic development in its downtown area, the city of Springfield, Mo., has set up a free Wi-Fi network using four BelAir 200 multiswitch service routers. The project was announced here by Kanata, Ontario-based BelAir Networks at this week's CTIA Wireless 2005 event.

The $70,000 project, while modest in comparison with Wi-Fi hot zones now under development in cities such as Philadelphia, has been launched with no opposition -- even from the predominant service provider, SBC Communications Inc., according to Dan Brewer, product and services manager for SpringNet in Springfield. SpringNet is a division of the municipal utility in charge of broadband services......."

^read more.......www.computerworld.com

• 3 weeks later...

The Springfield News-Leader getting recognition amoung journalist nationwide. The News-Leader was recently award first place in a Div. 1 Newspaper contest that runs nationwde.

Heres why:

Springfield News-Leader -- For compelling coverage of tornadoes that killed 17 people and left scores homeless in 39 counties. News staffers battled the elements to produce emotional coverage of the worst Missouri storm in 100 years. The staff produced a strong first-day package and 17 pages the second day to give the community a compelling and comprehensive report. Excellent photos and graphics telling victims where to get help added to the depth of this outstanding effort.

• 4 weeks later...

Trio of celebrities pops up at art museum reception

Andy Warhol.

Kathleen Turner.

Richard Weisman.

The trio proved irresistible to more than 450 people who packed a reception Thursday night at the Springfield Art Museum.

Warhol, of course, was represented through his art --original paintings depicting 10 famous athletes from the 1970s, including Muhammad Ali, Jack Nicklaus and Dorothy Hamill. The series is on loan from Weisman, a well-known art collector and friend of Warhol's. He had commissioned the work from the famous pop artist who died in 1987.

The Southwest Missouri Museum Associates hosted the reception to open "Andy Warhol's Athlete Series 1977-78." The exhibit continues through Sept. 3.

This is a good example of how strong the Art a Culture scene in Springfield.

I will be visiting the exibit on monday and can't wait! :D

Here is the link for more pics and information.....http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EWS01/607280404

:yahoo:It's time for the OZARK EMPIRE FAIR! :yahoo:

The OEP actually started Friday at 11am and runs for a 10 day period. The Ozark Empire Fair is the second largest (by a very small marign) to the state fair. The more than 250,000 people that willl attend the fair will get the chance to see the likes of Audio Adrenaline, Hawthorne Hieghts, Miranda Lambert, 3 Dog Night, Chris Cagle, Joe Nicholes and Blake Shelton for free (or $20 reserved seats) in the 10,000 GRAND STANDS!

And of course you cain't forget the rides........the claw, roller coaster, twister, zipper, ferris wheel (the biggest of any fair in the four state region, and many many more. I can't forget the Livestock Shows Tractor Pulls, National Monster Truck Rally and countless other competitions. All this is a pretty good deal for an $8 ticket. :D

HOPE YALL' COME SEE US! :D

:yahoo:It's time for the OZARK EMPIRE FAIR! :yahoo:

The OEP actually started Friday at 11am and runs for a 10 day period. The Ozark Empire Fair is the second largest (by a very small marign) to the state fair. The more than 250,000 people that willl attend the fair will get the chance to see the likes of Audio Adrenaline, Hawthorne Hieghts, Miranda Lambert, 3 Dog Night, Chris Cagle, Joe Nicholes and Blake Shelton for free (or $20 reserved seats) in the 10,000 GRAND STANDS!

And of course you cain't forget the rides........the claw, roller coaster, twister, zipper, ferris wheel (the biggest of any fair in the four state region, and many many more. I can't forget the Livestock Shows Tractor Pulls, National Monster Truck Rally and countless other competitions. All this is a pretty good deal for an $8 ticket. :D

HOPE YALL' COME SEE US! :D

Sounds great! Too bad I didn't plan my trip for this weekend. I'll be bringing my family to Springfield and Branson hopefully this Fall. The only thing we have even remotely like that is the Benton County Fair and it's pretty typical of small county fairs. Mostly little kiddie rides and the usual stuff.

Sounds great! Too bad I didn't plan my trip for this weekend. I'll be bringing my family to Springfield and Branson hopefully this Fall. The only thing we have even remotely like that is the Benton County Fair and it's pretty typical of small county fairs. Mostly little kiddie rides and the usual stuff.

You're family would have loved the fair. Although some of the people that go are not the prettiest creatures alive its a blast none the less. The concerts and tractor pulls are my highlight of the fair.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I mentioned something in another post about Springfield recently annexing 155 acre's........Well the owners of the property are planning an upscale Shopping Mall with possible big name retailers. I'm not going to jump ahead of myself because I don't want to make any false claims before I know it's true. There should be some kind of formal annoucement this fall.

Upscale Mall?

Any ideas on the size of the mall, or how upscale it really will be.

I have no doubt that the mall, lifestyle-power center will be very upscale. The Land is off Chestnut Exp. and Hwy 65 on Springfields east side and is surround by nothing but million dollar manions. In fact there are 6 estates that I know of within .5 miles from the property that are worth more than 2 million each (I got on the multilist), and who knows how many there are within a five mile radius. I just hope the annoucement comes quick because I really want to know how big it will be.

I agree that Springfield deserves an upscale lifestyle center. There's two under construction in my neck of the woods, one 980,000 sq. feet, and the other 500,000 sq. feet. I have no doubt that a 750,000 sq. foot lifestyle center would be welcomed well in Springfield.

I agree that Springfield deserves an upscale lifestyle center. There's two under construction in my neck of the woods, one 980,000 sq. feet, and the other 500,000 sq. feet. I have no doubt that a 750,000 sq. foot lifestyle center would be welcomed well in Springfield.

I just hope that it is nothing like Chesterfield Village or the Battlefield Mall. I hope the architecture really sets this thing apart form the others.

I just hope that it is nothing like Chesterfield Village or the Battlefield Mall. I hope the architecture really sets this thing apart form the others.

I don't think they'll build another Battlefield. Lifestyle centers are becoming more and more popular and "the norm" in todays retail world. Look forward to something like the Pinnacle Promenade.

I don't think they'll build another Battlefield. Lifestyle centers are becoming more and more popular and "the norm" in todays retail world. Look forward to something like the Pinnacle Promenade.

I don't think they will either. The Battelfield Mall is very nice and is also second largest mall in Missouri with 4 Dep. stores (Macy's, Sears, 2 Dillards, JC Penny) and 170+ specialty stores. Then Chesterfield is an upscale shopping village with a Main St. style theme. I am expecting this thing to be any where from 500,000-1,000,000 sgf.

and very upscale.

• 1 month later...

Wilco Hits Springfield Once Again!

Chicago rock group Wilco struck just the right balance Monday night between the melodic, straight-ahead rock that is the building block of its sound and the sonic experiments that are the mortar between the bricks. The show at the Shrine Mosque was the band's first stop on their National Tour.

Unfortunately, frontman Jeff Tweedy also had to strike

Zoo goes boo at Spooktacular

On the prowl for some absolutely wild Halloween fun? Treat the family to a hauntingly hooting and howling nighttime visit to Dickerson Park Zoo for the 23rd annual Spooktacular. The trick will be taking in all of the Spooktacular offerings, staged nightly today through Halloween, in just one visit. Features include goblins, ghosts, scarecrows, jack-o'-lanterns, themed displays, treat stations, a spooky train ride and costumed characters.

It will be a SPOOKTACULAR SIGHT...................................

• 1 month later...

The Rock Before Christmas Concert will be hitting Springfield on Dec. the 15th brought to you by none other than Q 102.1. Touring Headliners include Shinedown (there 5 time in Spfd this year), Angels n' Airwaves, Springfield's own Happy Ending's, and more. It will be held at the Shrine Mosque and the concert in full will be aired on Q102.1 and if you don't live in the area and still wana listen just go to www.q1021.fm to listen over the enternet.

Country Powerhouse Sara Evens will be at the Shrine on January 27!

• 1 month later...

Archived