Mayor Purcell

Nashvillain

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article. Looking from the outside to me it has always seemed that Nashville has done VERY well under Purcell. The city is growing, urban projects abound, the economy has consistantly been one of the best ranked in the nation by business, reforms in the school system, etc. It just seems folks are awfully hard on him for not doing more, but it seems he has done an awful lot as is, without a new convention center or other big project to set his legacy around.

Sidenote: I think Bob Clement might make an interesting mayor.

As a member of the Nashville MSA, I can appreciate the job Purcell has done. I'm a conservative, so no I don't agree with everything, but being Mayor of Nashville isn't easy.

I will say that I think his legacy will be like that of many other Mayors: Higher property taxes because "we have to think of the children." We keep spending more and more per child, and getting worse results. I don't have the stats, but I'd be willing to say Davidson county spends the most money per child in the Nashville MSA, but has the worst results (see recent national survey about kids not being able to find Louisiana and Iraq). One day people will wake up and realize sucking more money from the taxpayers and saying it will improve education is a failed policy. I do hope the next Mayor learns that.

Interesting article. Looking from the outside to me it has always seemed that Nashville has done VERY well under Purcell. The city is growing, urban projects abound, the economy has consistantly been one of the best ranked in the nation by business, reforms in the school system, etc. It just seems folks are awfully hard on him for not doing more, but it seems he has done an awful lot as is, without a new convention center or other big project to set his legacy around.

I totally agree. Except, Mayor Purcell does have at least one big project to set his legacy around: the public square. This cannot, should not, and probably will be underestimated as a key turning point in Nashville's value as a place for people, rather than machines. The symbolic and real seizure of the heart of Nashville away from car storage, and its restoration to the hands and feet of actual human beings is unbelievably important. This is a Purcell achievement, and should be given a lot more props in the citizen-soldier urban design community.

Lets steer the thread back on topic. I don't want this to diverge into a thread on the merits of public education vs. other models, which is where this seems to be going. Thanks. :D

I totally agree. Except, Mayor Purcell does have at least one big project to set his legacy around: the public square. This cannot, should not, and probably will be underestimated as a key turning point in Nashville's value as a place for people, rather than machines. The symbolic and real seizure of the heart of Nashville away from car storage, and its restoration to the hands and feet of actual human beings is unbelievably important. This is a Purcell achievement, and should be given a lot more props in the citizen-soldier urban design community.

Very true! The public square is something that will be a evident physical legacy of Purcell. It will definately transform the atmosphere of the Courthouse grounds and of that immediate area of town for the better.

Archived