Buddy to be added to PPS Hall of Fame

Cotuit

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've given this a lot of thought. I've weighed both sides of the argument and NO he does not deserve such recognition. How in the world can anyone believe his good outweighed his bad? The man did far more damage to this great city and its reputation that he ever did positive. The sheer volume of preservation going on now shows how much he was holding the city back. Imagine where Providence would be today if he were never elected for the second time.

That said, I will say he may be deserving of some sort of honorary notation. He really did give support to saving the Biltmore and City Hall. Both were in real danger of disappearing. Let's not forget this was during his first administration when "urban renewal" was running rampant. Providence didn't have the money to tear everything down. His support of preservation did help the cause in those aspects...even if his intentions were questionable.

I've given this a lot of thought. I've weighed both sides of the argument and NO he does not deserve such recognition. How in the world can anyone believe his good outweighed his bad? The man did far more damage to this great city and its reputation that he ever did positive. The sheer volume of preservation going on now shows how much he was holding the city back. Imagine where Providence would be today if he were never elected for the second time.

That said, I will say he may be deserving of some sort of honorary notation. He really did give support to saving the Biltmore and City Hall. Both were in real danger of disappearing. Let's not forget this was during his first administration when "urban renewal" was running rampant. Providence didn't have the money to tear everything down. His support of preservation did help the cause in those aspects...even if his intentions were questionable.

notoriety as a "mobster", while not necessarily a positive thing, has made the city more well known to those who may have never even heard of it. it has also brought the whole "renaissance city" thing to more people. in that way, he didn't really ruin the reputation of providence. the only good thing to ever happen to bridgeport, CT was joe ganim. i believe he and buddy are cell mates or something. :lol: but he really started to clean up bridgeport. i think since he left, it sort of took a standstill.

no, having a crook for a mayor isn't a good thing, but the press it brought did more than just say that we had a crook for a mayor, it also said "here we are" and helped put providence on the map.

I've thought about this too and tend to agree with you. I think that, despite his notable preservation contribution, that the overall situation would demand he not be recognized.

I also agree with damus in that I don't see why there is a rush to do this this, especially while he is still in prison. With the PPS celebrating a landmark aniversary this year, I don't understand why they'd want the controversy to potentially detract from attention on their real achievements.

- Garris

How about they just wait a good 25 years at the least before doing things like this? Let emotions die down, and wait to see how his actions affected Providence in the long run.

At least until he's out on the street again would have been nice, but I don't think its about preservation here.

Buddy has many friends around RI with deep pockets and he steered a lot of that cash towards PPS over the years through his famous power of persuasion. I can imagine him saying something like: "Listen, after you take care of everybody, whatever's left... whack it up to the historical geeks." The society wants to keep the big guy happy and a little good press will keep the mailbox full of money.

After all, this is Rhode Island.

I would back an honor for his work on the Capital Center/Waterplace development without question. And I'd love to be there when he pulls up to the Memorial Blvd. traffic light at Francis St. for the first time, just to see the look on his face!

Cianci does deserve recognition for his preservation efforts despite the method he ran the city; especially keeping PPAC from the wrecking ball. But I don't see what the rush is for PPS to award him. At least wait until his felony conviction has been served.

i don't know what PPS was thinking but if i was on the decision making team i'd rather honor him when he cannot actually come, than honor him and have the event become the Buddy Show. Folks who have been around since Buddy was here know that any time you invite the mayor to an event, it becomes the mayor's event...

Archived