Moynihan (New Penn) Station

Cotuit

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

That sure beats the present Penn Station. I hope they will get rid of the present building- PEnn Station is a dark and grimy hole. The Garden above it is also hardly an ornament to the city. The loss of the original can be atoned for with this more attractive replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree, too, that it needs something, but I would not say a sculpture in the middle of the floor. Believe me, with how packed the NJT and LIRR terminals get at rush hours, any floor obstruction produces quite an annoyance. Additionally, the glass ceiling really brings the visitor's attention to the sky. A sculpture on the floor would take away from that upward focus. I don't think shimmery things hanging from the rafters would be a good touch either. Perhaps wall treatments that would aid in the upward focus while producing a warmer, more intimate enclosed space would be in order. I don't know what sorts of wall treatments those would be, though.

Edit: It definitely needs an enormous departures/arrivals board (likely atop the tunnel leading out to the right) and a large clock somewhere.

After 2012, you can switch in Trenton, Metropark, or Newark Penn to NJ TRANSIT and enter New York like a king (not like a rat). :thumbsup:

I had hoped that the ugly Madison Square Garden and the current Penn Station would also end up in the Secaucus Meadowlands..... :lol:

• 1 month later...

The outside will. The inside will be gutted. I've never been inside the post office, so I don't know if that is a tragedy or not.

The inside is nice but not magnificent. IMO the real beauty of that building is the outdoor facade, which will be preserved. While it may be sad to see a long, proud history of posting end there, the future of that building will benefit tens of millions of city residents, commuters, and visitors! :thumbsup:

Archived