Is Columbia the Next BIG thing

803metlife

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why Columbia is attracting many blacks...I know the south is having a migration back from the North, but what do you think is attracting them to Columbia more so than the other Metros in SC

Columbia already has a large middle class black population so it's just more comfortable to move somewhere were you can relate. The metro has the largest % of minority owned businesses in the state. Plus many black college grads from USC, Allen, Benedict, SC State, etc. if they dont leave the state for ATL, or CLT

they usually end up in Columbia. Also take into consideration of low living cost, high quality of life, socially/politically moderate climate, good public schools, educated populationl, big enough to have everything you need but not too big and not too much of a hassel, makes Columbia an attractive area for many black americans. When my family considered moving here in the early 80's they considered DC, CLT, or Cola for the very same reasons I mentioned above.

<1) the perception of the South Carolina school system being below average. If the reputation of the SC school system was as good as even NC, professional people (and corporations) from at least the upper East Coast (IMO)would be moving here faster than they are already, and,

2) the perception of South Carolina as being very right-wing. That is troubling to, not only liberals, but moderates as well (a big part of the educated, mid to upper income demographic).>

these were obstacles for my family also when we were contemplating moving here from NY.

I'll add another: people's perception of lack of tolerance.

these were obstacles for my family also when we were contemplating moving here from NY.

I'll add another: people's perception of lack of tolerance.

You're right, SC has bad perceptions in many areas, but I don't believe the Columbia area fits those stereotypes for the most part.

I wish It would look that way in about 5 years...if you gonna dream, dream big! :blush:

I agree...I can't dream 25 years into the future. Who knows what will be happening then. When I think of Columbia development...I want it NOW...not when I'm old.

I agree...I can't dream 25 years into the future. Who knows what will be happening then. When I think of Columbia development...I want it NOW...not when I'm old.

My thoughts exactly. I'm gonna be real jealous of 25 year olds that live in Columbia 25 years from now.

My thoughts exactly. I'm gonna be real jealous of 25 year olds that live in Columbia 25 years from now.

If you're like me you won't be jealous of 25-year-olds for any reason - trust me. The way I see it is I'll have time to enjoy it instead of working all they time.

I think that those of us around now will appreciate the changes much more, simply because we have the knowledge of how it used to be (how it currently is).

I remember how it was 22 years ago when I moved here. It all happens gradually and sometimes it is hard to get a sense of how things have changed. That's probably how it will always be. I have learned to like it for what it is while also looking forward to what it will be.

Archived