Virginia's Renaissance

TBurban

After all the development going in in Richmond, the Hampton Roads area, and even towards Charlottesville and Alexandria, if I say I didnt know any better Id say we're havin ourselves an architectural revolution! Our economies are booming, and with a steady growth rate to all of our major cities, and our bordering the NE megalopolis, Virginia itself is rising above and beyond. Here, Ive made this to share developments all over and compare cities/states to Virginia. What are we lacking? What do you want to see in your cities?

Personally, I would like to see some light rail action in the Richmond area. by the way, congrats to you all down in Norfolk with your future light rail :yahoo:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Light rail would be nice in Richmond.. but I don't think we are quite there yet. I think a downtown streetcar system would be the best first step, while expanding express bus service from the suburbs to downtown for commuters. Maybe even get some of the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) things running from the burbs to the city and back.

Light rail would be nice in Richmond.. but I don't think we are quite there yet. I think a downtown streetcar system would be the best first step, while expanding express bus service from the suburbs to downtown for commuters. Maybe even get some of the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) things running from the burbs to the city and back.

That stuff would be "nice" but get a good, reliable, efficient, dependable, clean, safe, frequent, timed-transfer transit system that actually works for the captive riders in the inner city first. They depend upon the system and they provide a much more steady revenue stream than fickle suburbanites.

That stuff would be "nice" but get a good, reliable, efficient, dependable, clean, safe, frequent, timed-transfer transit system that actually works for the captive riders in the inner city first. They depend upon the system and they provide a much more steady revenue stream than fickle suburbanites.

Amen.

I didn't say you didn't. I'd love to see us just push forward with light rail. Screw all the studies.. the time is now. If they replaced the buses with them, they'll be used. But downtown would logically be a nice start, but we can still think about lines within the city leading to and from downtown and extend to the counties... or if the counties are so bent on keeping the cars, they could at least park and ride.

And about Va's developments... it's hard for me to have feelings for whats going on in other cities because it's not home. It's one reason I rarely venture from Richmond. I am unfamiliar with nearly every place else... [edited out a list of places I've been, why, and places I haven't been]. At least here I can get to see places I normally wouldn't.

I didn't say you didn't. I'd love to see us just push forward with light rail. Screw all the studies.. the time is now. If they replaced the buses with them, they'll be used. But downtown would logically be a nice start, but we can still think about lines within the city leading to and from downtown and extend to the counties... or if the counties are so bent on keeping the cars, they could at least park and ride.

And about Va's developments... it's hard for me to have feelings for whats going on in other cities because it's not home. It's one reason I rarely venture from Richmond. I am unfamiliar with nearly every place else... [edited out a list of places I've been, why, and places I haven't been]. At least here I can get to see places I normally wouldn't.

Hey Cadeho, I have found that when I left Richmond and visited or lived in other places, I appreciated Richmond more. You should really venture out and see what other places and have and don't have in comparison to Richmond. You'll find that Richmond is very behind in a lot of things, but at the same time there are some things that Richmond does very well. Richmond will always be my home no matter where I live in this world. Right now I live in Montana, but living here just makes me long for the state (Virginia) I love the most and the city where I call my hometown (Richmond). Living out here also provides me the opportunity to be a Virginia and a Richmond ambassador. I love it!

Oh I can tell even from home. I loved being just 50 miles away in Fredericksburg and I wouldn't mind moving there. Although I loved that little burg too, it couldn't compare to Richmond. Northern Va and DC are nightmares to me. Outside of Virginia, I spent a week in Philly and some time in Trenton. A week of Philly was just enough for me. I'd go back for the history and the cheesesteaks, but I couldn't live there. I was fascinated by their trolly system though. I couldn't imagine out there in Montana... far far awy from a Ukrop's! When Roanoke gets its Ukrop's, I may be able to move out there!

Plus with all the stuff going on here.. I wouldn't want to miss it!

• 1 month later...

This is a silly comment but I would actually like to see an architecturally interesting bridge built in HR to replace one of the older ones....

You know, I've though the same thing for quite some time. When thinking "archetecturally interesting" the only bridge that comes to mind is the Jordan Bridge in Chesapeake. It would be nice to see something fresh spanning Hampton Roads with the proposed Third Crossing (but more than likely it will be your typical run of the mill bridge span.

You know, I've though the same thing for quite some time. When thinking "archetecturally interesting" the only bridge that comes to mind is the Jordan Bridge in Chesapeake. It would be nice to see something fresh spanning Hampton Roads with the proposed Third Crossing (but more than likely it will be your typical run of the mill bridge span.

Shoot we can't get our pot holes fixed.

The problem is that NNSB, NNSY, Norshico, Naval Station Norfolk, and Amphib cannot be blocked by a bridge. Therefore, the tunnel portion eats a large portion of the crossing budget. No money left over to make the bridge portion look fancy. Besides the purpose of suspended and cable stay bridges and the like is to provide a tall clearance for passing ships. VB keeps talking about wanting to do something special with the Lesner Bridge replacement when that happens. Something could also be done with the Berkeley Bridge, if and when it needs to be replaced. Those are fairly prominent bridges given their locations.

Archived