In 25 years, which city's skyline do you think your's will resemble?

krazeeboi

^ I knew I'd get hit on the blight comment, but was not meant in a negative context. :) The premise of this thread being "in 25 years", GSO would probably look like B'ham in 25 years, minus the blight that is on the western/southwestern edge of DT. GSO currently has some of it's own blight on the eastern side but that is being demolished/gentrified and will [likely] not exist in 25 years.

Krazeeboi - good photos - and to me are convincing evidence that GSO will look similar to B'Ham in 25 years - add more buildings and you have it. The B'Ham pic is at a better "density" angle, and the GSO could be zoomed to capture more which is cut off in various pieces of the photo. Regardless, I'm not sure what your argument against is - GSO has 25 years to "catch up", is currently growing at fairly high rates, and already has a greater population and density that current B'Ham and depending on how you define the metro a similarly sized metro. B'Ham was a larger city long before GSO and due to that has the extra density of buildings in it's core, but not enough that GSO could not gain a similar level in 25 years.

As for GSO and Birmingham, I think they are uneven comparisons. I have always viewed B'ham and Winston Salem as Sister cities. Almost identical IMO. The edge for Density favors B'ham, and the slightest of edge for height is in the favor of W/S. Their topography is near identical, as well as their metro population (1.18M for Birmingham and 1.3M for the Triad). Not to mention both have major Universities within the confines of their urban cores and both have a focus on medicine. (W/S with Wake Forest, and UAB for B'ham)

They are identical in many ways.

Now for Pics:

Winston Salem (pic from wikimedia):

WinSalSkyline12.jpg

and now the Magic City:

bhamnight.jpg

A2

Edited by A2

• 2 weeks later...

As for GSO and Birmingham, I think they are uneven comparisons. I have always viewed B'ham and Winston Salem as Sister cities. Almost identical IMO. The edge for Density favors B'ham, and the slightest of edge for height is in the favor of W/S. Their topography is near identical, as well as their metro population (1.18M for Birmingham and 1.3M for the Triad). Not to mention both have major Universities within the confines of their urban cores and both have a focus on medicine. (W/S with Wake Forest, and UAB for B'ham)

They are identical in many ways.

Now for Pics:

Winston Salem (pic from wikimedia):

WinSalSkyline12.jpg

and now the Magic City:

bhamnight.jpg

A2

Wow. Winston Salem looks bigger than I always perceived it. What is the current population of WS alone?

Edited by Plasticman

I think ours will look the same.... our tallest buildings are only about 11-12 stories high and we have about 4 of those, but they have been here since the early 1980s. I really do not know why we have not had anymore highrises since then- while other metro cities in Tennessee are getting more and more. :unsure:

Interesting thread! But I am amazed that none of the Greenville forerunners have put in a prediction for it. A couple of years ago, I might have said Greenville's skyline could easily reach that of present day's Charlotte, if not a little more. But given Gville's problems with geting highrises, and even midrises out of the ground the past few years, I am not sure if that is still in the cards. However, at this point, it seems possible that DT gville may not be the biggest skyline in town by the year 2030. Keep an eye on the I-85/I-385/Woodruff Rd interchange. If I had to pick at this point, realistically, Raleigh or Birmingham seem likely.

Edited by distortedlogic

Let me speak for my favorite city Jacksonville,Fl since noone mentioned it JAX skyline is extremely growing faster than anyone could have ever expected it to grow since 2005 (alot of 30 an 40 maybe 50 story skyscrapers are poping up out of nowhere)...an alot more are being proposed as many more people move there so i see Jax Skyline looking the Current Miami Skyline in 25 years

Here Are 2 Pics OF The 2000 Skyline Of Jax132.jpg

Here Is Another Picture Thanx To emporis.com it shows the view from i95 of the new buildings that are rising Miami Look Out..lol433660.jpg

An Here A Skyline View From The Farmers Market On the NorthSide

AMT004a.jpg

I Have To Say That Charlotte And Jacksonville BOA Buildings Are Impressive..:)

Winston Salem:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=759854

Greensboro:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=752858

The Triad cities are larger than many people give them credit for. Greensboro -> Birmingham and Winston-Salem -> Louisville are pretty reasonable predictions, probably conservative to some extent. This is 25 freakin' years we're talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

In 25 years, I honestly don't think Atlanta will resemble any other city. The way (as in location) Atlanta develops is so predictable, but it is also very strange. Also,I think that Downtown will most definately connect with midtown, but I think Midtown will have two "seperate, but equal" clusters (One at Peachtree and North Avenue, and the other at Peachtree and 10th-17th) Furthermore, Buckhead will grow (by the size and configurations of those lots, there won't be any "Boston-like" density), and there will be some impressive towers. It will extend further south along peachtree.

Interesting thread! But I am amazed that none of the Greenville forerunners have put in a prediction for it. A couple of years ago, I might have said Greenville's skyline could easily reach that of present day's Charlotte, if not a little more. But given Gville's problems with geting highrises, and even midrises out of the ground the past few years, I am not sure if that is still in the cards. However, at this point, it seems possible that DT gville may not be the biggest skyline in town by the year 2030. Keep an eye on the I-85/I-385/Woodruff Rd interchange. If I had to pick at this point, realistically, Raleigh or Birmingham seem likely.

I can't imagine any scenario in which Greenville's future skyline could esily reach that of present day's Charlotte. Present day Raleigh seems like a much more reasonable estimate.

I think OKC is finished with the skyline game. It came back and bit us hard when we got a little overzealous in the 70s--we still have a damn fine skyline though to show for it.

Our urban development...well the currently proposed or u/c 2,500 units...are coming more in the way that they came for Denver and Portland. Dense, mid-rise...low-rise. Walkable, pedestrian-friendly communities with lots of street activity. There is no need for major towers except for necessary office space. That's not to say I wouldn't mind a skyscraper here and there, but I would hate to see a ton of new skyscrapers in OKC. Skyscrapers don't help urban activity.

As far as the South is concerned, it would seem that 10% growth on the skyline usually implies 20% growth in the suburbs. If every single southeastern city were to increase its skyline by the proportions we're talking about here... the whole of the southeast would be one giant stretch of suburban growth.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if the new major project that Greensboro is trying to get downtown actually comes to Greensboro, then Tampa may possibly be the mirror city in 10 - 15 years. Let's think about this... the Triad is in the middle of 2 metros that have populations well over a 1 million people ( the Triangle 1.5 mil and Charlotte metros 2.2 mil) and the Triad's metro is less than 50 mins away from each metro. I think there are major ingredients already for major building growth. Time will tell... and the Triad's metro pop. is about 10,000 people away from 1.5 million according to emporis.com