In 25 years, which city's skyline do you think your's will resemble?

krazeeboi

I don't expect Murfreesboro to change much in terms of height, unless the city really starts to invest in the built environment by building apartments, condos, retail, infill developments downtown and not farther out. The city has recently hired a consulting agency to help in this area (which is long overdue). The market and infrastructure has to be there for skyscrapers (for our city probably 15-30 stories maximum). I would rather see a cluster of commercial, residential, hotel, low to mid-rises similar to Manufacturers Rd./Market Street (Chattanooga) or Biltmore Avenue/Downtown (Asheville) to fill in those surface lots first before the city decides to go vertical. 

• 3 years later...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2006 at 6:10 PM, krazeeboi said:

Actually, I think it might only take 10-15 years for Atlanta to start resembling present-day Houston. In 25 years though, I wouldn't be surprised to see Atlanta beginning to resemble Chicago, seriously--if the gaps between downtown, midtown, and Buckhead get filled in.

I think this has actually occurred 10 years later. Atlanta is beginning to look like Chicago actually. A view from Howell Mill, is a never ending expanse of cranes and highrises. 

While Charlotte has continued to beef up uptown to the density approaching a Boston, potentially being even larger in the next decade. 

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2006 at 1:19 AM, CapeFearRiver10 said:

This is my opinon of NC major cities will look like 25 years from now.

1. Asheville will look like a smaller Pheonix, AZ

2. Winston-Salem will soon look similiar to Oklahoma City, OK.

3. Greensboro will look like Omaha, NE.

4. Durham turns into Tulsa, OK.

5. Raleigh will look similiar to Birmingham, AL

6. Fayetteville will look like Jackson, MS.

7. Wilmington will soon look like Wilmington, DE.

8. High Point becomes mirror image of Lynchburg, VA.

9. Southern Pines could like Rockford, IL.

I came up with thes projections because I feel 25 years from now 15.5 to 16.5 million people will be living in NC.

Man I was trippin back then lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2016 at 3:15 PM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

While Charlotte has continued to beef up uptown to the density approaching a Boston, potentially being even larger in the next decade. 

Uptown Charlotte is certainly densifying at a nice clip, but a Boston comparison is a stretch IMO. Denver is probably a better point of comparison.

• 2 years later...
On 9/18/2016 at 7:05 PM, Nashtitans said:

Kinda trippy when you go back and look at the responses

Was just reading back through this and yep.  :lol: Most of us were way, WAY too big in our projections. Perhaps a combination of thinking 25 years is longer than it really is and that building tall buildings is easier than it really is?  We're at about the half way point for the prediction time period. None of us could have predicted the Great Recession, but even then, most of us were going too big. My hometown of Greenville has seen a TON of development this decade, but it's all been low rise stuff. My prediciton for it was Raleigh or Birmingham (of 2006) but we'd have to have a rash of new tallests to emerge and heck, we haven't had a new tallest in 50 years! Part of my prediciton was based on several taller buidings proposed back then (including a new tallest) but all of them died with the GR. We're having a lot of infill and the downtown footprint has grown significantly though, and if we ever get the County Square project, and a couple new tallest building concepts to pan out Greenville's "skyline" will start to grow more. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

So we’re into 2020 and slightly over halfway there.  It’s clear the old posts regarding  appearance of the cities were largely pie in the sky.   But realistically based on the last 14 years here is my list of cities and how they fared:

Biggest Surprise Award

Nashville - it has far eclipsed what anyone thought.   Dozens of 300-550 foot towers are either built or under construction since 2006 have stretched their skyline to three times its former size   Having Amazon choose them over rival cities and them putting two towers by themselves helps too.  Nashville is an “it” city right now and nobody saw it coming.  And no signs it’s stopping.

Easily Predictable Awards

Charlotte - They were already poised to grow and they didn’t disappoint.    A nice steady growth.

Atlanta - Continued Growth albeit no new tallest since 2006  but still getting denser.  

Miami - continues to sprawl along the coast at least as quickly as predicted.  

Houston - predictable and growing as predicted.

Most Disappointing Awards

Birmingham - Simply nothing.  Build something, Fix a road.  Anything.   There’s only so many angles you can take pictures of the same five buildings.  Add a QuickTrip...something.

Memphis - Flatlined.  Just like Birmingham.    Couldn’t get one modest high rise out of the ground in 14 years (One Beale?)

Louisville - Not a lot there either.  The Omni and that’s about it.  

But you never know who the next it city will be.  Could be B’ham, Memphis, Louisville, or another.  Time will tell.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

So 16 years later with 9 more to go for 25 years to have passed since I first created this post, I have come to realize that many of these predictions were wildly optimistic (or unrealistic) and just how significantly unforeseen circumstances--in this case, the Great Recession and the pandemic--can interrupt development trajectories....not to mention declining population growth rates nationwide. 

• 1 year later...

This is a repost of a post done by Markhollin on the Nashville thread.

This is the CBD only not counting the Midtown area that is getting its own skyline and now the East Bank which is slated for multiple high-rises. This is the last 9 years. The skyline now runs 2miles by one mile and with the Eat Bank added in it will expand by another 1 mile wide along with the westward expansion or buildings as well. There is a 220' high-rise being built at I440 on the western edge of the far loop, not to mention the area of Green Hills which is 5 miles out where there are multiple high-rise buildings either built or under construction or proposed. The cap on the height however is 750' per the FAA and we only have one building that height under construction.

Comparing the Nashville skyline from 2015 to 2024 (courtesy of Penny Adams):

Nashville skyline 2015 to 2024, Penny Adams.png

•