Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

graydog

Photographing Charlotte's modern architecture

8 posts in this topic

I have a personal project to photograph and document every piece of modern architecture in Charlotte. Many examples are well known and obvious, however it would be great if anyone could provide suggestions. I'm interested in every type of building, not just commercial buildings.

Get a pic of the house at the corner of Cassamia and Providence. Classic 1950s modern.

That appears to be a Lowes Kit House they used to sell in the 70s. They had a number of designs that you picked from a catalog and they all had that look. The emphasis was on energy efficiency which is why you don't see many windows. I know this because my parents built one of these kit houses at the beach in 1977, but they revised it on site by adding more windows. :lol:

Thanks for sharing.

Didn't know Lowes did the kit house thing back in the day - kinda a modern take on the Sears catalog house.

I think this one was actually designed/lived in by some local architect though - the previous owner (who took over from the original owner) said the plans are rolled up in the attic - I'll have to do a bit more research once things are settled down - see if the place has anything interesting in its past.

Back to the topic at hand (sorry for taking it off tract) there is a lot of modern architecture (industrial style) in Charlote, unfortunately however, a lot of it was reclad to be more trendy and most of the recladding is hideous.

Ah, didn't know which modernist era the original poster was referring to.

(A few other modernist homes from different periods I see regularly and appreciate:

2631 Normandy Rd, 28209

2655 Chilton Pl, 28207

8129 Fairview Rd, 28226

since they stand out in the context of their neighborhoods as being entirely different than what's around)

Get a pic of the house at the corner of Cassamia and Providence. Classic 1950s modern.

1930 Providence Rd, 28211 - good call

There area few commercial properties I can think of that are more industrial (current modernist), but I'll find more details and post them later.

I like it with the polygons and wood beams throughout... and the greenery outside!