A few pics from the Viridian topping out party

Duke32

There wasn't really much to take a picture of since you were restricted to the parking garage levels.

137936001_0300c9ab3e_b.jpg

View from the base of the tower crane

137936000_4c07f31bc9_b.jpg

Parking garage entrace from the Commerce Street alley

137935999_f0bacb7e51_b.jpg

Tiny gap between the Cohen building and the Viridian

137935994_578bd444a5_b.jpg

View from the 9th floor of the parking garage

137935991_5c55f346bb_b.jpg

Setup for the party on the 9th floor. This is with my back to Church street looking south.

137935989_92476c35cd_b.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything interesting to report from the party?

Sadly to say.....no. Either I've been to too many or it's all politics now. Every "suit" in the business were there. The guys from the Novare Group were there along with the Mayor of Nashville. It was interesting that they also invited the people that have bought condos there to come to the topping out party. It was different to see women pushing strollers around all those construction workers.

Well, after Viridian, Signature and Encore, does anyone have any speculation on where Tony's next project will be. He has the property in the Gulch of course, but he also has a another very large parcel in SOBRO. The parking lot in front of the old Castle that corners the new Gateway blvd. and 2nd Ave.

I dont think that is part of the CC. Its too far east and sits between 3rd and 4th. I may not understand what you are saying either.

I would bet that there would have to be a lot of co-operation between Michael and Tony to develop this into the overall plan that Michael has in mind for the area. It sure will be interesting to see what transpires down there in the next three or four years.

I dont think that is part of the CC. Its too far east and sits between 3rd and 4th. I may not understand what you are saying either.

I would bet that there would have to be a lot of co-operation between Michael and Tony to develop this into the overall plan that Michael has in mind for the area. It sure will be interesting to see what transpires down there in the next three or four years.

Ron you are correct that this is not part of the propsed CC but M Hayes was talking about moving further South and East I believe so the SoBro would not be swallowed up. It would start Sout of Gateway and continue South. (Bt I could have what he said all wrong) :)

I think several of the buildings that Hayes mentions are included in the renderings for the SBE&R ballpark project. One notable exception is the office building rumored for Demonbreun and 3rd. He has hinted in the NBJ that it could be 30+ stories.

In the plans, you can see an midrise office building across Gateway from the bp. It looks to be about the size of the Suntrust Tower under construction, but actually more attractive.

In addition, there is another 8-10 story building one block up First Ave. from the midrise building by SBE&R. I don't know if that one will be apartments/condos or office. It appears prominently in the Rolling Mill Hill plans by Direct Development.

Well, after Viridian, Signature and Encore, does anyone have any speculation on where Tony's next project will be. He has the property in the Gulch of course, but he also has a another very large parcel in SOBRO. The parking lot in front of the old Castle that corners the new Gateway blvd. and 2nd Ave.

I've been thinking about this. There's been quite a bit of opinions expressed by some that they think the Signature Tower is too tall for the rest of the skyline. That it puts the whole skyline "out of balance." I therefore think that Tony's next project (assuming success on the Sig Tower project) will be to build a project that balances out the Nashville skyline. Who better to be the one to build that significant project? It will be at least 700 feet and at least 50 stories, more than likely residential. I think he will start it before the Signature Tower project is completed in order to take advantage of the hot downtown real estate market before it softens. There may be a problem with 700 Ft towers in SoBro, so I would guess the most likely location for such a project is his Gulch property.

Trying not to be greedy. It would be nice to see another 700+ somewhere close to Sig.

As long as we're speculatin', I think Tony will try mixed-use with substantial office space (keeping in mind the time lag needed to bring the product to market) to serve a need that hasn't even been recognized. I'm going to hold out hope that a portion of the building will resemble the First National Tower in Omaha. Beautiful!!!

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I've seen it in Atlanta: Palmer's office tower is going to open a floodgate of office demand both pent-up and relocated tenants. As long as the economy stays healthy, it will happen and other developers will take notice. It hasn't been seen yet b/c you've had only the penny-ante junk that Eakin has put up (preleased). But I think Tony is one of the developers who would have the guts to take Palmer's success to heart and follow through on mixed use plans for the gulch.

It would be great if HCA had the gumption to build a 40 or 50 story tower downtown. The healthcare industry is growing at a phenomenal pace and Nashville is at the center of it. They will eventually run out of space where they are and I would much rather see the buildings they are in now turned into condos. That's a perfect location across from Centennial Park.

Trying not to be greedy. It would be nice to see another 700+ somewhere close to Sig.

As long as we're speculatin', I think Tony will try mixed-use with substantial office space (keeping in mind the time lag needed to bring the product to market) to serve a need that hasn't even been recognized. I'm going to hold out hope that a portion of the building will resemble the First National Tower in Omaha. Beautiful!!!

I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I've seen it in Atlanta: Palmer's office tower is going to open a floodgate of office demand both pent-up and relocated tenants. As long as the economy stays healthy, it will happen and other developers will take notice. It hasn't been seen yet b/c you've had only the penny-ante junk that Eakin has put up (preleased). But I think Tony is one of the developers who would have the guts to take Palmer's success to heart and follow through on mixed use plans for the gulch.

I like the way you speculate Brain and I hope you're right. You make a lot of sense to me. I think Tony would love to do a project that is mixed use if he can pull it off. After all, we all know ST's original design started out that way. However, while he is definitely a visionary, he is also a "sensible" risk taker. In a recent article, I don't remember which, Tony talked about working within situations he could control to a reasonable extent. In other words, he relies on his own drive and talents and of the people in which he has faith. If anyone can find a way to get it done, especially in this thriving market, Tony can. He already has the rep for being the guy that can get the improbable done and if he gets the hotel component of ST it will be that next step toward a full mixed use. I can't wait to see what he could do in the gulch.

Oh, and I agree on the First National Tower! I love that building. It would look good next to ST. Btw, I'll never call you greedy for wishing for a 700 footer.

I think a perfect tower for his Gulch lot would be his original ST design. We also said it was a great design, just not for the tallest tower. That would be, IMO, a good accent for the ST.

Here's the link to the pic, in case anyone forgot what it looked like (I don't know how to post pics on here):

http://img113.exs.cx/img113/4139/SigTowerRend.jpg

Dramatically different from the final product, ain't it ? :blink:

Wow... what a difference!

Thanks. I mean, it's not a BAD design, but it does rather scream "Midtown Manhattan" and would've looked badly out of place in its original intended location. Saying that, though, sitting amongst other residential mid-rises, as CheerioKid pointed out, it might look good in the Gulch (albeit it should be modified some).

I think a perfect tower for his Gulch lot would be his original ST design. We also said it was a great design, just not for the tallest tower. That would be, IMO, a good accent for the ST.

I really agree with you ck61. I have always loved that design but like you said not for the tallest tower.

Thanks. I mean, it's not a BAD design, but it does rather scream "Midtown Manhattan" and would've looked badly out of place in its original intended location. Saying that, though, sitting amongst other residential mid-rises, as CheerioKid pointed out, it might look good in the Gulch (albeit it should be modified some).

I'd like to see the balconies minimized.

I always had a soft spot for the original tower... would SOOOO love to see it in the gulch!!

I would too! Thanks Cheerio for bringing that up. It has all the components, and after Sig gets started, I think Tony is capable of pulling it off. I'd love to see one of our computer wizards on this site place that 700 foot Tower in the Gulch, and see what the skyline would look like with it and the Signature Tower.

I would too! Thanks Cheerio for bringing that up. It has all the components, and after Sig gets started, I think Tony is capable of pulling it off. I'd love to see one of our computer wizards on this site place that 700 foot Tower in the Gulch, and see what the skyline would look like with it and the Signature Tower.

Hang in there Hankster. My buddy tistic and I are working on some stuff. I'll get that ST stuff to you soon as well.

I'd like to see the balconies minimized.

Yes, that would help immensely. That's usually my only beef with residential high-rises, the overabundance of balconies. Frankly, once you get above 150 feet or so, you're REALLY not going to much want to use your balcony -- up at 600 or 700 feet the wind gusts alone make it downright unpleasant and impractical. :blink:

Archived