A few pics from the Viridian topping out party

Duke32

Yes, that would help immensely. That's usually my only beef with residential high-rises, the overabundance of balconies. Frankly, once you get above 150 feet or so, you're REALLY not going to much want to use your balcony -- up at 600 or 700 feet the wind gusts alone make it downright unpleasant and impractical. :blink:

600 or 700+ feet? That's just where I like it! Wind gusts make my cape look more dramatic! :w00t:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, after Viridian, Signature and Encore, does anyone have any speculation on where Tony's next project will be. He has the property in the Gulch of course, but he also has a another very large parcel in SOBRO. The parking lot in front of the old Castle that corners the new Gateway blvd. and 2nd Ave.

Tony's parcel in SoBro is south of the Symphony at 3rd and Demonbreun. He has another parcel at 4th and Molloy. It's schedueld for a 6-7 story building I believe and will deliver just after Encore.

The lot across from the Castle is CB Ragland's.

Ron you are correct that this is not part of the propsed CC but M Hayes was talking about moving further South and East I believe so the SoBro would not be swallowed up. It would start Sout of Gateway and continue South. (Bt I could have what he said all wrong) :)

My thought for the CC is on the southwest corner of 4th and Gateway for an entrance, extending west to 8th, south of Gateway, maybe 100' south of Gateway for all but the entrance, so there could be liner buildings with retail to hide the massive structure. This would allow SoBro to develop with what the civic design center says is up to about $2B in development. The CC could fuel a tremendous amount of retail in SoBro. Think mini Miracle Mile along Gateway Blvd. The CC as proposed, could really kill Gateway's chance of having any real serious retail.

Hopefully the CDC will be allowed to debate all locations.

Do y'all plan to go to the CDC's design forums? If so, I'd be happy to show you (in person) some other options for the CC that I think should be considered.

Is there a concrete plan to extend Gateway Blvd. to 8th Avenue, or is that up in the air?

There is still a plan to do that. It is all part of the grand plan of SoBro. Funds and the Convention Center are the big deal at the moment.

My thought for the CC is on the southwest corner of 4th and Gateway for an entrance, extending west to 8th, south of Gateway, maybe 100' south of Gateway for all but the entrance, so there could be liner buildings with retail to hide the massive structure. This would allow SoBro to develop with what the civic design center says is up to about $2B in development. The CC could fuel a tremendous amount of retail in SoBro. Think mini Miracle Mile along Gateway Blvd. The CC as proposed, could really kill Gateway's chance of having any real serious retail.

Hopefully the CDC will be allowed to debate all locations.

Do y'all plan to go to the CDC's design forums? If so, I'd be happy to show you (in person) some other options for the CC that I think should be considered.

What is there now?

I still like the idea of another roundabout at 8th/Lafayette and Gateway (extended as proposed). I also think It would make an interesting western end of the cc on the southern edge of Gateway. With an interesting sculpture (of more nudies?), I think it would stimulate even more development westerly and (who knows?) maybe even a better connection to Gulch. What does the CDC have on this? Ever since the talk of Gateway started, I've thought that 8th would make a really grand N-S artery (except for the spaghetti expwy junction b/n Church and James Robertson.

Also (back to this topic), I just caught the online Tennessean article on the "new era" of talls downtown. The article makes it sound like the resolution before the council would basically eliminate all restrictions on height downtown. I believe Michael Hayes referred to this possibility. Also, from toher articles/people in the know, it just seems to me that there is a pipeline of some really tall buildings that are just waiting for this to pass. It's this week.

I won't post the link here, but I'll start a new thread for discussion.

Tony's parcel in SoBro is south of the Symphony at 3rd and Demonbreun. He has another parcel at 4th and Molloy. It's schedueld for a 6-7 story building I believe and will deliver just after Encore.

The lot across from the Castle is CB Ragland's.

Thanks Michael. I posted on another thread about that lot and this partially answers that question. Which corner of 4th and Molloy does he have?

I still like the idea of another roundabout at 8th/Lafayette and Gateway (extended as proposed). I also think It would make an interesting western end of the cc on the southern edge of Gateway. With an interesting sculpture (of more nudies?)

We need to teach the people how to drive around the first roundabout before we do another one. ;) Another nudie would keep the drunk red necks confused as to where they are. :lol: I may be confused too. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I do like that idea and we did talk about that yesterday at the meet. I also mentioned that it wold be great if there were some way to empty Gateway into the Gulch. That was just a pipe dream of mine but do not see how it could be done without a whole lot of trouble and cost.

Something that I think Nashville should require all bew buildings/developments in Nashville to do is to have some form of public art. I lived in Toronto for a while, and in their downtown they require each new building to have some form of public art. It can be a really nice granite bench, to a sculpture, to a mosiac, to a mural, but one way or another they must provide some form of art people can see, and I think this adds touches of refinement throughout a city.

Something that I think Nashville should require all bew buildings/developments in Nashville to do is to have some form of public art. I lived in Toronto for a while, and in their downtown they require each new building to have some form of public art. It can be a really nice granite bench, to a sculpture, to a mosiac, to a mural, but one way or another they must provide some form of art people can see, and I think this adds touches of refinement throughout a city.

I agree that public art is a good thing. I got my BA way back when and I deal with it in some ways in my business. With that said, I don't believe it should be required. Personally I think Signature Tower is a work of art all by itself. I agree about how art adds to the city though.

Archived