Stilts Building

robm324

The slumlord owner of the Stilts building finally has an agreement to sell one of the Marquee buildings in downtown. 298,000 of 391,000 sq. ft. unleased? You have got to be kidding me. There is no reason a building with that type of highway access and on-site parking should be that unoccupied.

That is unless the owner didn't renovate it since 1986......

Hopefully with a major renovation will come a major new tenant from outside of the city.

www.hbjournal.com

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can a picture on that link. What exactly can they do to fix the building? it looks okay outside.

The outside isn't the issue. It's the inside, that's what got downgraded to class B. They probably need to gut the whole inside and basically start again from the lighting to the walls to the carpet. I would imagine it all needs to go.

Here is a picture from the street level.

IMG_0547.jpg

I have been into the building numerous times to go RBC Dain Rauscher's Hartford office and there office is very nice and building is not in horrible shape...but it could be better.

It's great that someone who actually might care about the city owns one of the city's great office buildings. What more could a company want....easy access to I-84, I-91, and Route 2 plus adjacent parking and lots of it.

The sale was finalized on Wednesday. Part of the makeover is a facade improvement.

While the Stilts Building is very unique and recognizable to downtown, its street presence could stand an improvement. I hate the way its Main St. side is a bare cement wall facing the street. I would like to see some kind of treatment that gives this building a presence on Main St. The cafe should also utilize outdoor seating on the large entrance patio/garden on the corner of Main and Church.

Its a good sign that the price for the Stilts was $49/sq. ft., when 777 Main St. (BoA Building) was sold for $36/sq. ft. several months ago. As the Courant article says, the buildings are comparable, although the parking situation is better at the Stilts.

My point is, it seems that there may be upward pressure on the prices of corporate real estate in downtown, which is a very good sign.

Its a good sign that the price for the Stilts was $49/sq. ft., when 777 Main St. (BoA Building) was sold for $36/sq. ft. several months ago. As the Courant article says, the buildings are comparable, although the parking situation is better at the Stilts.

My point is, it seems that there may be upward pressure on the prices of corporate real estate in downtown, which is a very good sign.

I can't understand why are the two building comparable. Stilts is 90% empty, I think BOA more than 50% full. By the way, the new owner of BOA building just asked for $3 million subsidy to enlarge the current garage. I'd like to put a few more tables out at my cafe, where do I go to get couple Ks of this free money?

I can't understand why are the two building comparable. Stilts is 90% empty, I think BOA more than 50% full. By the way, the new owner of BOA building just asked for $3 million subsidy to enlarge the current garage. I'd like to put a few more tables out at my cafe, where do I go to get couple Ks of this free money?

Seriously you might want to check into what the city might be able to offer. I'm sure there is money for small businesses in the city. Here's some info if you don't already have this stuff. I'm looking to start another business soon too, so I'm gonna be in there talking to folks over the summer.

I think the one reasons the Stilts is worth more is because it's more unique and in my opinion has the potential to be more attractive than BoA could ever be.

Hartford Dept. of Development Services

Seriously you might want to check into what the city might be able to offer. I'm sure there is money for small businesses in the city. Here's some info if you don't already have this stuff. I'm looking to start another business soon too, so I'm gonna be in there talking to folks over the summer.

Hartford Dept. of Development Services

In Hartford? When you plan is finalized, please let us know what it is and where it is, and best of luck. By the way, the link is broken.

In Hartford? When you plan is finalized, please let us know what it is and where it is, and best of luck. By the way, the link is broken.

That's strange about the link. It was there this morning when I posted it. That's that great City website for you I guess.

Anyway, I will be sure to let you guys know once I get the ball rolling a little bit. I already co-own a cell phone store in Bloomfield called YaketyYak which is actually a national franchise with about 72 stores nationwide currently. I have a lot of plans I would like to try out, so who knows I may even find a partner for one of them on UP. :)

Howzabout the Stilts Building? Perez better be on the phone this morning...

Hartford Life Needs Room To Expand

Could Leave Simsbury For Another Area Site

May 10, 2006

The Hartford's life insurance and wealth management business has outgrown its Simsbury headquarters and may expand elsewhere in Greater Hartford, possibly even building a new facility.

Hartford Life is considering several options, including consolidating three sites in Greater Hartford - Simsbury, Avon and Windsor - into one location and moving the headquarters out of Simsbury.

The move could affect large numbers of Hartford Life's 4,700 workers in Greater Hartford. About half of them work in Simsbury, occupying about 600,000 square feet on Hopmeadow Street.

David Potter, a spokesman, said a decision will be made this summer, but he cautioned that the company might choose to stay in Simsbury and consolidate Avon and Windsor into a larger location that could accommodate a growing workforce.

Potter said the company has looked at two sites in Windsor and one in Enfield. He declined to identify specific locations.

The proposed changes would not involve The Hartford's corporate headquarters on Asylum Hill in Hartford or diminish its presence in the city, Potter said.

Hartford Life sells life insurance, annuities, mutual funds, group life and disability coverage, and retirement savings plans.

I just read somewhere (probably here) that the Hartford's large underground parking garage at the intersection of Asylum and Farmington was built as a foundation for a future tower should the Hartford ever decide to build again. It is a small landscaped park right now, but it holds 800 cars!

I just read somewhere (probably here) that the Hartford's large underground parking garage at the intersection of Asylum and Farmington was built as a foundation for a future tower should the Hartford ever decide to build again. It is a small landscaped park right now, but it holds 800 cars!

Yeah I used to use that garage when I worked at the Hartford in High School. I used to work across the street at 55 Famington Ave. which is a beautiful mid-rise tower, very underappreciated. It would be great for the Hartford to build again and develop something really great in Asylum Hill. Maybe even a mini Asylum Hill "town center" somewhere on Farminton Ave built in conjunction with Aetna, The Hartford, and The Connecticut Culinary Institute.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a Hartford location considering they are already looking to Enfield and Windsor for much cheaper (and sprawling) alternatives.

<_< We all know that. However, here's to keeping hope alive. :thumbsup: I mean they are THE HARTFORD. They should honor and help their namesake. What about the old CT/Mass Mutual Building? Could that be a possibility for them?

<_< We all know that. However, here's to keeping hope alive. :thumbsup: I mean they are THE HARTFORD. They should honor and help their namesake. What about the old CT/Mass Mutual Building? Could that be a possibility for them?

wouldn't it be encouraging to hear that mayor eddie was preparing a pitch to hartford life? sorry. what was i thinking.

It should be if its not.

I wish the whole Hartford property was more integrated into the neighborhood fabric. Its too much like a fenced-in office park.

It should be if its not.

I wish the whole Hartford property was more integrated into the neighborhood fabric. Its too much like a fenced-in office park.

Yeah I used to use that garage when I worked at the Hartford in High School. I used to work across the street at 55 Famington Ave. which is a beautiful mid-rise tower, very underappreciated. It would be great for the Hartford to build again and develop something really great in Asylum Hill. Maybe even a mini Asylum Hill "town center" somewhere on Farminton Ave built in conjunction with Aetna, The Hartford, and The Connecticut Culinary Institute.

Exactly my point. They need to reinvent that part of Asylum Hill along Farmington Ave. going into Downtown. I know we don't all agree on the School site, but I personally think that will help humanize this area. They need to change the traffic patterns anyway, that another reason I support the site for the school on Farmington and Broad, a Block away from the YWCA, The Hartford, Aetna, and for now ING. They need to add in a meeting space somewhere though, I think the underground garage across from 55 Farmington would be great for that.

Archived