Major James Center Expansion

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Correct, it will be in the former First Union Bank space that was vacated in the Wachovia merger... Wachovia already had a location at James Center II. It will actually be across from the Travel Agency and not between it and the Wendy's.

Is 1st Capital Bank a major financial institution? Must admit, I've never heard of it. Is it locally owned and will this location be its headquarters?

I'm grateful that they have selected Richmond's financial district and are filling vacant space in James Center.

Nobody is walking from James Center all the way down to the Riverfront Plaza, especially not to go to a sit-down restaurant for lunch. We desperately needed something like an Au Bon Pain or Corner Bakery to go into that spot in the James Center.

Isn't there a French bakery in the Atrium that is similar to Au Bon Pan? And there are several umbrella-shaded food carts, aren't there?

I've always liked Vie, although they have become really expensive. It is owned by the Ripps...That is why they are similar to the local Arby's.

And the Ripps own and/or operate HAVANA 50 and CAN CAN.

I saw Papa Ripp in POPKIN TAVERN trying out their menu, and he told me he very much enjoyed it, though he hadn't the remotest idea who I was. :lol:

Here's a little surprise for everyone!

James Center Expansion website

Check out the rendering of a taller James Center 3!!! They'd add 250,000 square feet, and it looks to be about 28 floors.

They are also advertising James Center 4, a 350,000 square foot tower just south of James Center 3 on what is currently a parking lot. Earlier articles mentioned it would be about 20 stories of office space.

These are build to suit opportunities, meaning a significant portion of space must be pre-leased for construction to begin. Once they've achieved that, and have city permits in hand, construction would take about 18 months.

Let's hope there is a lot of interest in this!

Great to hear that they're not yet planning on building on the green space on Cary Street. That is the closest thing that we have to a recognized outdoor gathering spot in the city and the only place in the city where you see a large gathering of folks outside when the weather is nice.

Archived