Major James Center Expansion

wrldcoupe4

This is awesome news but I have to say I'd be pretty bummed to lose that plaza on Cary St. Where would they put all the Christmas decorations? Build on the surface lot and expand on top of the current building but if I had my choice I'd leave that nice greenspace alone.

I could see the Christmas decorations on Capital Hill when all the consturction is done.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canal Walk...

I never thought about that. That would look awesome! Tell the city Coupe!

BTW, did you really point out those sites Cadeho showed to possible development companies? Ive been wondering about it. I can be very gullible when it comes to that...... :lol:

haha it was as if nobody noticed that post... Actually, I have pointed several out to a certain development company out of Charlotte that had been looking to do something in the Richmond market. Haven't heard back from the developer yet, but he said he would evaluate the sites... :thumbsup:

I want something that really stands out on site #2.... Something ultra modern, sleek and tall...I could see something like that farther west near where the bowtie block is.

That picture was the tower originally planned for where Vistas is going today.

I want something that really stands out on site #2.... Something ultra modern, sleek and tall...I could see something like that farther west near where the bowtie block is.

That picture was the tower originally planned for where Vistas is going today.

Yeah, I wouldve rather had the "canal landing" (linked above), than Vistas.....It had a dome! A big one too!

Canal Walk...

That's a great idea! The only thing missing is a tree. Wonder if they could stick one somewhere around the Turning Basin? That would be a wonderful stroll if they decorated the stretch from Shockoe Botttom to Toad's Place.

Yes that design is light years ahead of the design they settled on. But as its neightwas decapitated, they may have chopped off the dome. Besides, we need a dome!

As for a "signature" building for Richmond, how about something ridiculously tall, that incorporates the design of the State Capitol Building.....something white with a Romanesque top. In all the Civil War era pictures, the State Capitol Building is a prominent feature of the skyline. It has since been swallowed up by taller buildings. Having something tall and reminiscent of the Capitol building, would bring it back to the forefront of Richmond's skyline. Anyone care to whip up a PhotoShop? :thumbsup:

I've designed that building... for the same reasons.

I also wanted a building like the city limit columns.

By the way the Capitol's design is Roman Classicism. Romanesque is like that building on the northeast corner of 12th and Main. MSS is another example.

As for a "signature" building for Richmond, how about something ridiculously tall, that incorporates the design of the State Capitol Building.....something white with a Romanesque top. In all the Civil War era pictures, the State Capitol Building is a prominent feature of the skyline. It has since been swallowed up by taller buildings. Having something tall and reminiscent of the Capitol building, would bring it back to the forefront of Richmond's skyline. Anyone care to whip up a PhotoShop? :thumbsup:

Could not have said it better. Mabe like 50 story......but I want to see Norfolk with it first.

Could not have said it better. Mabe like 50 story......but I want to see Norfolk with it first.

Haha. I dont know man, with the Centennial Tower updated press release this summer, the final height could be up to 50 :whistling:

The first design to be completed... or if you call it that. I'll still play around with it and the others, but it's basically the same desighn with probably different colors and stuff. I think I messed up the bottom. I wanted it to be just a big tall temple and I wanted a base like what the Capitol had when it had windows and a door where the stairs will be put back.

CapBldg6.jpg

I've thought about that too... but I dunno if I can make it look round. I lucked out on the columns... maybe I'll try that. I do think we need a building like that. Virginia's Big Rotunda.

The first design to be completed... or if you call it that. I'll still play around with it and the others, but it's basically the same desighn with probably different colors and stuff. I think I messed up the bottom. I wanted it to be just a big tall temple and I wanted a base like what the Capitol had when it had windows and a door where the stairs will be put back.

Ahhh...that's exactly the picture I had in mind when I described it in my post. Beautiful! The columns remind me of the "Shopping Bag" building in Tysons Corner, except that one is red brick and it has a Chippendale top rather than the Roman A-shaped top. I'd love to see your final version photoshopped onto a picture of the Richmond skyline. Somebody has GOT to build that building!

I would love to see a building like that. It reminds me of what skyscrapers would look like in heaven. A building like this should not be crowded out by others. It should either be far away from other big buildings, or be so tall that it towers above them. Preferably the latter.

I don't think the're skyscrapers in haven, but that is a nice building for downtown. This James Center Expanion is very good for the city, and will add density. What will the future buildings look like?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived