What is the population of Boise?

soverbey

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Boise is like 200,000 people and 600,000 metro... VERY comparable to Spokane in Washington state. I do believe, however, Boise will unfortunately surpass Spokane by the 2010 Census. The future is unsaid and therefore we'll just have to wait another four years. :thumbsup:

Actually, Boise is like 200,000 people and 600,000 metro... VERY comparable to Spokane in Washington state. I do believe, however, Boise will unfortunately surpass Spokane by the 2010 Census. The future is unsaid and therefore we'll just have to wait another four years. :thumbsup:

Actually Randy, Boise passed Spokane a couple years ago. Boise is now the third largest in the NW.

reference....

Boise http://www.censusscope.org/us/m1080/chart_popl.html

Spokane [url=http://www.censusscope.org/us/m7840/chart_popl.html

By the time the 2010 census comes around, there should be an even greater population difference. :thumbsup:

Boysee Boy, I looked at the legitimacy of the web-site. Im not knockin its relevance, but its not a government census recording. Its compiled by university research. I would much rather stick to the government's census ratings rather than someone elses research. I do agree that Boise will probably pass Spokane up because it is a sun-belt city. Spokane gets almost as much sun as Boise, but it recieves quite a bit more snow, which dis-qualifies it as a sun-belt city to most. Boise is also developing its high-tech industries more-so than Spokane is. Spokane, however will remain the king of The Inland Northwest, and Boise will remain the state capitol of Idaho. Spokane also has much more of Central Business District than Boise... Ive been to both places as well and in my mind it seems as though Spokane is growing faster than Boise, but I will humble my opinions to evidence... :-)

Here are the US Census estimates for the area as of July 1, 2005.

• Boise City (July 2003) - 190,117

• Ada County - 344,727

• Boise City-Nampa MSA - 544,147

The Boise MSA consists of the following counties.

• Ada County, ID

• Boise County

• Canyon County, ID

• Gem County, ID

• Owyhee County, ID

For comparison puroposes the Census has the following for Spokane.

• Spokane City (July 2003) - 196,624

• Spokane County - 440,706

• Spokane MSA - 440,706

The Spokane MSA only consists of Spokane county.

Spokane's metropolitan area consists of Kootenai County, Idaho as well. According to Wikipedia, "The 2000 U.S. census showed that the city had a total population of 197,400, and the county had a population of 417,939. Metropolitan estimates show the area has at least half-a-million people, and may be approaching 600,000."

Thanks!

Spokane's metropolitan area consists of Kootenai County, Idaho as well. According to Wikipedia, "The 2000 U.S. census showed that the city had a total population of 197,400, and the county had a population of 417,939. Metropolitan estimates show the area has at least half-a-million people, and may be approaching 600,000."

Thanks!

Wikipedia can't be considered a definitive source of information as anyone can go and edit the documents. It can be good for getting some background, but I would not cite it as a knowledgeble source for population statistics.

In 2003 the OMB and the Census redefined the criteria for MSAs (Metropolitan Statistica Area) and created a new category called CSA (Combined Statistical Area) when they did that, many metros from the 2000 census became smaller. The CSA takes over where the old metro definition was used.

The area now consists of two Metro areas:

• 4060 Spokane, WA Metropolitan Statistical Area

• 44060 53063 Spokane County, WA

• 17660 Coeur d'Alene, ID Metropolitan Statistical Area

• 17660 16055 Kootenai County, ID

The reason there is now two metro areas instead of one is the way the OMB defines a metro. It's based on commuting patterns, and apparently not enough people commute between the two places to make it a metro. Likewise the same holds true for these two cities to not be combined into a CSA.

I hope that wasn't too confusing.

Thanks for the clarification... Im sure people do commute from Coeur d'Alene to Spokane just as they probably commute from Mtn. Home to Boise... it's just not as frequent as say people commuting from Tacoma to Seattle... I got the picture... Thanks a lot!

• 4 weeks later...

I was a little Leary of some of those numbers at first, I generally consider myself a pretty good authority on city numbers, you all had me doubting myself.

Where do you guys think Boises population will be in the 2010 census?

What exactly is the definition of a "Sunbelt city"? My impression has always been that they are from LA to GA centered in the south. I guess I never thought of boise that way. But it's definately growning in that manner.

The reason there is now two metro areas instead of one is the way the OMB defines a metro.

Never was just one metro, they have always been seperate. The state line discourages enough cross commuters, but the entire Spokane Valley is developed from Lake Coeur d'Alene all the way through the city of Spokane, so for business and local market purposes, it is essential to combine the two.

• 3 months later...

Spokane and Coeur d'Alene were asked if they wanted to combine for the 2000 census. Below is part of the article from the Spokesman Review on October 20, 2002 about this subject. Since Coeur d'Alene did not want to combine, it fell through when the OMB redefined the metropolitan and new micropolitan areas in 2003 from the 2000 census. The OMB guidelines for combining areas has to do with a percentage of commuters to each area. It is something like 15% and you may combine, 25% and you have to combine. By the 2010 census, my guess is they will be a combined metropolitan area.

As far as which city is larger, Spokane or Boise, the answer is still Spokane. I grew up in Coeur d'Alene in the 1970's, and have been a census and population geek since I was small (I practically memorized the 1970 census as a kid, and still follow it very close). I agree with an earlier post that you have to use the official Census numbers, which you can get from American Factfinder on the US Census cite. Although Boise has grown a lot in the past 40 years, it is confined to its city boundaries of around 52 square miles so it can't grow as fast as its suburbs. Spokane is around 58 square miles and has a similar problem. Spokane was officially larger in the 2000 census, and has kept about 5,000 more folks than Boise within the city limits. Spokane and Tacoma are very close in city population, so Boise is technically still 5th in size in the Northwest, but could be 3rd largest if it can grow its boundaries some unless Spokane, Tacoma or even Vancouver do the same.

The Boise Metropolitan area per the US Census July 1, 2005 estimate was 544,201. It had grown almost 80,000 from the official 2000 census of 464,840. If it grew at the same rate until the April 1, 2010 census, it would be around 630,000.

The Spokane Metropolitan area per the US Census July 1, 2005 estimate was 440,706. It had grown almost 23,000 from its official 2000 census. If it grew at the same rate until the April 1, 2010 census, it would be around 465,000.

The Coeur d'Alene Metropolitan area per the US Census July 1, 2005 estimate was 127,668. It has grown 19,000 from it official 2000 census. If it grew at the same rate until the April 1, 2010 census, it would be around 150,000.

To compare apples with apples, you need to include Spokane with Coeur d'Alene in comparing with Boise and the several counties it uses in its metropolitan area. Plus in 2010, Spokane and Coeur d'Alene will very likely be a combine area with a population of around 615,000. Putting Spokane with Coeur d'Alene and Post Falls is nothing like adding Mountain Home to Boise. Downtown Spokane is 32 miles from downtown Coeur d'Alane and the whole area is urbanized, unlike travelling the 60 miles from Boise to Mountain Home (I have driven that several times).

In 2000, a combine Spokane/Coeur d'Alene metropolitan area would have been 526,000 which is larger than Boise's 465,000. But by 2010, Boise will have around 630,000 in its metropolitan area which will be larger than the estimated Spokane/Coeur d'Alene metropolitan area of 615,000.

Based on these projections, the Boise metropolitan area will pass up a combined Spokane/Coeur d'Alene metropolitan area in 2008, so not quite yet but soon.

The current US Census site on its December 31, 2005 table, does show Spokane and Coeur d'Alene as two metropolitan areas than could combine if they wanted to. At some point they will have to combine based on current rules. The fact is they could combine and practically are one metropolitan area for all practical purposes.

Quick Summary:...............2000 Census..........2005 Census Estimate.........2010 estimate/similar growth rate

Boise Metro:......................465,000.................544,000.....................

Spokane/CDA Metro:..........526,000................568,000...............................615

Note: In 2008, they will both pass 595,000 with Boise taking the lead unless growth rates change

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It only makes sense for Spokane and Kootenai counties to tie the knot and embark on life together as a combined statistical area, Spokane County Commissioner Kate McCaslin said last week.

"I would liken it to the perfect marriage," McCaslin told a crowd of business leaders. "Where would Spokane be without Coeur d'Alene, or Coeur d'Alene without Spokane? We're like two kids who grew up across the street together. ... I see this as an opportunity to formalize that."

But will Kootenai County be a blushing bride or a reluctant partner? Some hesitant North Idaho leaders want to know more about the relationship.

Spokane and Kootenai counties are among 170 regions nationwide asked to consider becoming combined statistical areas - a federal designation that would recognize economic and social ties in this region of 525,000 people.

For many, the ties are already obvious. North Idaho's tourism and convention industry needs the Spokane International Airport to survive. Access to Lake Coeur d'Alene is part of Spokane residents' quality of life. Interstate 90's rush hour reflects the volume of commuters crossing the state line to get to their jobs.

Advertisement

In a show of solidarity, the cities of Post Falls and Liberty Lake passed a joint resolution backing the combined statistical area. The Coeur d'Alene City Council, however, isn't ready to be led to the altar.

"There's been feelings expressed that we have some paranoia about being partners with a bigger city," said Coeur d'Alene Mayor Sandi Bloem.

• 1 month later...
To compare apples with apples, you need to include Spokane with Coeur d'Alene in comparing with Boise and the several counties it uses in its metropolitan area. Plus in 2010, Spokane and Coeur d'Alene will very likely be a combine area with a population of around 615,000. Putting Spokane with Coeur d'Alene and Post Falls is nothing like adding Mountain Home to Boise. Downtown Spokane is 32 miles from downtown Coeur d'Alane and the whole area is urbanized, unlike travelling the 60 miles from Boise to Mountain Home (I have driven that several times).

• 1 month later...

Defining Metro areas, are not always a good way of Defining how large a city actually is. Metro areas are defined by counties. You have one central county, and then corresponding counties around it. For a satelite countie to be included in the central counties population something like 15% or maybe 25 I can't remember, has to commute to the central county for work. It kind of works as an umbrella and doesn't always accurately reflect the true size of an urban area, it inflates them.

Case in point Grand Rapids Michigan CSMA Included Lakeshore cities of Muskegon and Holland, which really are stand alone metropolitan areas, about 40 miles from the central city. They add about 500,000 people to the GR metro area giving it a 1.3million population count when in actuality, the urban population is more near 700,000

Archived