Tallahassee's Downtown is Doomed.

TD

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to know more about your development company. I'm actually studying to work for a company or myself as a developer so its always great meeting the different local players and learning about their companies.

As a developer, what is your primary focus, residential or commercial?

I am glad to hear that. This industry is always in need of well-educated professionals. :)

Currently I have a single-family residential neighborhood breaking ground in about 45 days.

It has (23) half-acre lots on 32 acres, but there will not be anything like it in this area.

I am small time compared to some of the local players, but I have some pretty good investors from several areas. We are currently looking at a couple of residential opportunities (both single and multi family).

I have not run across allot of good commercial opportunities lately, but will hopefully soon.

The problem I have is by the time I educate investors about this local market and specific project to the point where we can go to contract it is normally to late. Local

• 4 months later...

Does it state the height in that document?

The height is unknown at this time and it's difficult to find any other project make a comparison. The Marriott Residence Inn sits on 2.3 acres and is 111, 000 sq ft. So is it safe to say the this project may approach 10 stories if not more. Where will people park?

Can we change the name of this thread?????

What is currently at this site now? For the life of me I can't remember. Is it that big parking lot, no I think that's on Gadsden...so what's at this location?

Remember this is just a pre-submittal and as our good friend TJ says, that's the place where they just test the waters. Don't put too much stock in it yet.

Remember this is just a pre-submittal and as our good friend TJ says, that's the place where they just test the waters. Don't put too much stock in it yet.

If it got to this point, it means that they had to fill out something to see if it was legal on the books to do something of this nature, so this is really step 2, with at least 2 and with this scale, probably 3 steps to go just to get approval, plus the time to get the permits and construction time, so with a project of this nature, the earliest it will be open is late 2008.

If downtown is doomed its due to a small-town mindset and lack of infrastructure. Don't expect big changes until a freeway or highway is constructed to ease the increasing traffic problems. And yes, this can be done without disturbing the "charm" and "character" of downtown.

If downtown is doomed its due to a small-town mindset and lack of infrastructure. Don't expect big changes until a freeway or highway is constructed to ease the increasing traffic problems. And yes, this can be done without disturbing the "charm" and "character" of downtown.

While I think a freeway/expressway would help, I don't think it's absolutely necessary for a good downtown. Ft. Lauderdale comes to mind w/this. Its downtown sits at least 2 miles off of I-95 and I-595 and its downtown is growing and thriving like gangbusters.

I would not have wanted I-10 to have followed the path of Gaines St./Apalachee as proposed, but I would have wanted a spur to the downtown like P'cola has...I-110.

Oh thanks TJ, it's THAT bldg.? Wow!

P.S. Can we change the name of this thread to something not so negative?

While I think a freeway/expressway would help, I don't think it's absolutely necessary for a good downtown. Ft. Lauderdale comes to mind w/this. Its downtown sits at least 2 miles off of I-95 and I-595 and its downtown is growing and thriving like gangbusters.

True, but with the population of dt growing as well as new projects starting, something will have to be done or the congestion will be unreal.

I still haven't the slightest clue which building this is. Is it along that paved street that runs by Andrews Grill and Bar on the opposite side? Never mind, that is WAY off. I suppose it is near the Suntrust Bank building?

Other side of Monroe along Calhoun. It's behind the County Courthouse and next to the Old Bank Of Am. bldg. that the we the taxpayers now own.

Archived