Hot Springs Has a New Hot Spring!

tim2462

Highway construction just outside of the city limits has uncovered what is believed to be a new Hot Spring.

A home owner nearby has reported that the water in his well has dramatically increased in temperature steadily over the last few months. It is up to 93 degrees so far. The temperature of the 47 discovered springs in downtown is between 125 and 147 degrees. This is a huge discovery, since only 47 springs have ever been found, and they were all in downtown. This is very exciting. There could be others! The highway department will not continue construction on the next phase until more research is done.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highway construction just outside of the city limits has uncovered what is believed to be a new Hot Spring.

A home owner nearby has reported that the water in his well has dramatically increased in temperature steadily over the last few months. It is up to 93 degrees so far. The temperature of the 47 discovered springs in downtown is between 125 and 147 degrees. This is a huge discovery, since only 47 springs have ever been found, and they were all in downtown. This is very exciting. There could be others! The highway department will not continue construction on the next phase until more research is done.

Very cool! I bet there are so many in that area that are still undiscovered.

I'm getting so excited for my trip up there in late May. :) I go every single year about this time, but I always get excited. For one, it's a few days away from the office, but it's also just a cool place to visit.

That's really interesting news! Hot Springs is a fascinating and funky town. I love the grand old hotels there, the mountains and the graceful old bath houses. What I like best is the lack of typical yuppiefication. The sense of going back in time is palpable, and very charming too.

That's really interesting news! Hot Springs is a fascinating and funky town. I love the grand old hotels there, the mountains and the graceful old bath houses. What I like best is the lack of typical yuppiefication. The sense of going back in time is palpable, and very charming too.

The northern part of the city is nice and well preserved.

The southern part of the city is the part that is modern and growing.

I love the mix of the two.

Interesting. I wonder if this possibly means the other springs could possibly 'dry up' is new new ones end up popping up elsewhere. Any ideas which side of the city this is?

They didn't say...but I would guess that it's on the eastern side where they just completed the by-pass around to Hwy. 70 out past Magic Springs. The next phase will carry the by-pass up to the hwys. 5 & 7 intersection north of town. They said that the next phase wouldn't begin until more research is done. This is why I think that's the area.

They didn't say...but I would guess that it's on the eastern side where they just completed the by-pass around to Hwy. 70 out past Magic Springs. The next phase will carry the by-pass up to the hwys. 5 & 7 intersection north of town. They said that the next phase wouldn't begin until more research is done. This is why I think that's the area.

Thanks for the info, hopefully more news of this will come out in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked about the 'new spring' while I was at Hot Springs National Park. It is on the eastern part of the city. It sounds like they think the blasting being done at the road construction is believed what caused this. It possibly opened up some more cracks allowing some of the hot water to be diverted to this new area. Consequently the road construction is now on hold until they can determine is this could have possible permanent effects to the hot springs at the national park.

I asked about the 'new spring' while I was at Hot Springs National Park. It is on the eastern part of the city. It sounds like they think the blasting being done at the road construction is believed what caused this. It possibly opened up some more cracks allowing some of the hot water to be diverted to this new area. Consequently the road construction is now on hold until they can determine is this could have possible permanent effects to the hot springs at the national park.

Very cool. I may even get directions to the area and check out the construction site, just to see. Maybe I can see it first-hand and get a photo of it.

Very cool. I may even get directions to the area and check out the construction site, just to see. Maybe I can see it first-hand and get a photo of it.

Not sure how close you can get to the area. It sounds like it's on someone's land.

Archived