Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greens!

The Woodlands

12 posts in this topic

The Woodlands is a master planned community about 35 miles north of downtown Houston.

(from HAIF)

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01806.jpg

DSC01804.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01801.jpg

(props to boris from HAIF for the shots)

OH MY GOSH! I used to live near there! I remember! That big mall with the merry-go-round! That dragon in the lake, the huge gorgeous houses! Its so built up! So many great childhood memories between Kima and the Woodlands.....makes me feel like a kid again :blush:

Awesome pictures!

That's suburbia?!

That's suburbia?!

The picture with the buildings is close to what West Broad Village is supposed to be like.....*cough*cough* ;)

I figured... you know my feelings.

No, that's a housing development.

Actually, it's a planned Community. The parents of a good friend of mine live there. It's basically a Disney version of a small city. I have not actually been there myself, but pretty much that is where the world is headed.

It actually represents a good understanding of the New Urbanist ideals - it is very easy to get around, promotes mingling and not as much reliance on the car (although could use better transport) and decent mix of uses. But somehow it falls flat because it is so perfect and so upscale. It lacks the layers and individuality that come with time and independent control.

Before getting too critical, though, think about what is outside the town limits.

I have a former co-worker who moved down there last year and he loves it. I think the area is beautiful, personally.

I have family living in The Woodlands, and they love it. And I love it too actually. It's just a beautiful area, and the growth and development taking place is amazing. It's definately high on my list of places I'd like to live in the future.

I plan on going to an Astros game this Summer. And plan to stay in The Woodlands for the first-time, I have never been there.

It seems odd that they would build such an authentic looking city like that, it's very impressive. I just hope the trend of building things like this continues.

That's really cool. I have a job interview in The Woodlands so I may be moving there. I've driven through on I-45, so I knew it had some great development, but I didn't realize it was master-planned.