*Miami* - Projects & Construction List

bobliocatt

I'm in the process of expanding this list as I find out more about Miami's construction boom. This is what I have so far.

Brickell on the River - 42 stories (will be Florida's tallest residential tower)

Brickell_On_River_Large.jpg

Viva Florida

infinity05.jpg

Everglades on the Bay - 49 stories

aaf.jpg

The MIST - 55 stories

aal.jpg

Brickell City Center -50 & 42 story towers

abb.jpg

Miami River Village

abh.jpg

Quantum - 44 stories

quantum_pic.gif

The Loft - 35 stories

aaj.jpg

The Beacon

thebeaconp.jpg

Onyx - 28 stories

211906.jpg

Miami Riverhouse Lofts

riverhouse_pic.jpg

Eventually this thread will become a Miami Project & Construction List

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Article:

City to consider plan to replace Columbus Bazaar with office tower

a potential $180M office and retail tower, 38 floors with a new MetroMover station, to replace the Columbus Bazaar in downtown Miami, the first since 1987.

By Susan Stabley

The Miami City Commission today will consider approval for a 38-story office tower to replace Columbus Bazaar at 50 N. Biscayne Blvd., a proposal that now calls for a new Metromover stop.

The proposal for a major use special permit includes more than 660,000 square feet of office space, 29,500 square feet of retail and a 1,260-space parking garage, according to city documents. The city's planning advisory board approved the project 8-0.

Cousins Properties Inc. is the contract purchaser of the lot owned by Miami Columbus Inc. of Reno, NV.

The project would be the first foray into South Florida by Cousins, said spokesman Matt Rove. The Atlanta developer of office, retail and residential properties also has operations in Charlotte, NC; Washington, DC; Dallas; Austin, TX; Los Angeles; San Francisco; and Birmingham, AL.

The developers will ask the city for a new northbound left-turn lane on Northeast Third Avenue at First Street, according to city documents. As a condition, the city has asked for a Metromover stop, which is included in the tower's plans.

The building would rise at the entrance of Flagler Street, which the Downtown Development Authority has eyed for revitalization. The 1.3-acre property lies across from Bayfront Park.

A Metromover line loops around the location.

Incorporating stops into new projects is encouraged, said Michael DeCossio of Miami-Dade Transit. "These are ridership generators," he said.

The project also would be a job generator. According to city documents, the project would employ 535 workers during construction and create 2,434 permanent jobs. Expected to cost about $181.4 million, the tower would produce about $4.36 million a year in tax revenue, city documents say.

WOW! Miami's skyline is definitely shaping up to be the south's #1 beauty. Does any other city in the south even come close to the amount of current construction or proposals? Miami must be right behind Chicago in construction projects. Thanks for posting these renderings and please keep them coming as you find out more.

Here's how Miami stacks up against the rest of the south in terms of high-rise buildings completed, under construction/reconstruction, approved, proposed, and on hold.

Miami

171 completed

23 under construction

1 under reconstruction

27 approved

37 proposed

Houston

321 completed

7 under construction

3 under reconstruction

3 approved

9 proposed

4 on hold

Dallas

219 completed

2 under construction

3 approved

9 proposed

Atlanta

186 completed

9 under construction

2 approved

22 proposed

New Orleans

93 completed

1 under construction

2 approved

3 proposed

Austin

65 completed

1 under construction

3 approved

3 proposed

5 on hold

Nashville

58 completed

0 under construction

0 approved

4 proposed

Tampa

53 completed

2 under construction

8 approved

9 proposed

Charlotte

53 completed

0 under construction

0 approved

2 proposed

1 on hold

Louisville

51 completed

3 under construction

0 approved

1 proposed

Jacksonville

49 completed

1 under construction

1 under reconstruction

3 approved

5 proposed

I believe those statistics are for each city. That being said, the city of Miami is only 36 square miles, while Chicago is around 112 square miles. The statistics would greatly rise for Miami, if other nearby cities with small land areas, also, like Coral Gables, Miami Beach, & Sunny Isles were included. It would get out of hand if it went by metros, which would bring cities like Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach to the equation. So in reality, pound for pound, mile for mile, Miami's boom may be bigger and more significant than Chicago's or any other city in the US.

Here's some more:

A close up of Oynx

ammen%20bldg.jpg

NEO VERTIKA - 36 stories/100 lofts on Miami River

1pixeltrans.gif

Infinity at Brickell - 52 stories

3157996.gif

Opera Tower

opera1.jpgopera7.jpg

Everglades on the Bay

EverAerialFade.jpgproyectos1cd.jpg

Ice - 36 floors

building2.jpga>

The Carbonell: Condo 681 Brickell Key Drive

abg.jpg

Brickell Station: Condo, Rental and Retail 1101 SW 1st Avenue

abd.jpg

Biscayne Plaza: A residential and retail development. 1801 NE 2 Court

aab.jpg

1390 Brickell Bay

1390brickell04c.jpg1390brickell05c.jpg

Ten Museum Park

building3.jpg

Latitude on the River

latitude_preconstruccionpuntocom.jpg

Miami's new tallest now under construction

Metropolitan Miami

187889.jpg

141774.jpg

I guess this is enough for now, I'll continue my search later.

I believe those statistics are for each city.  That being said, the city of Miami is only 36 square miles, while Chicago is around 112 square miles.  The statistics would greatly rise for Miami, if other nearby cities with small land areas, also, like Coral Gables, Miami Beach, & Sunny Isles were included.  It would get out of hand if it went by metros, which would bring cities like Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach to the equation.  So in reality, pound for pound, mile for mile, Miami's boom may be bigger and more significant than Chicago's or any other city in the US.

Yes, these statistics are for the city only, not the metro area. I see that Miami Beach and Fort Lauderdale are also seeing some activity. How many sq. miles is Miami's CBD?

Miami Beach

120 completed

10 under construction

2 under reconstruction

2 approved

3 proposed

Fort Lauderdale

107 completed

17 under construction

6 approved

8 proposed

More Miami highrise projects.....

Bentley Bay - twin 25 story condos by Arquitectonica

bentley.jpg

The Blue Tower - 35 stories

blue.jpg

Sky

3F1Z4J3C7P3A7O4E9N1D4W1P.JPG

Brickell Bay Plaza - 40 stories

1200_2.jpg

The Platinum - 22 stories/ 116 condo units

platinum1.jpg

The Blue @ Coral Way - 20 stories/ 196 condo units

theblue04.jpg

The Emerald

theemeraldatbrickell-9.jpg

The Sail @ Brickell

thesailonbrickell1.jpg

Park Place @ Brickell - 36 & 40 story towers

parkplace.jpg

The recently opened 36 story Espirito Santo Plaza

39152575828.jpg

Anderson Opera Center

fgo-n1.jpg

fgo-d3.jpg

Time for a break........

originally posted by Twin Cities

How many sq. miles is Miami's CBD?

I've been searching, but I can't come up with any concrete number. I would say the CBD can't be any bigger than about 2 square miles. Here is a map I found showing the Downtown Development Authority's boundries, but it also includes some adjacent neighborhoods like Brickell.

boundaryMap.gif

Here's more proposed downtown skyscrapers from www.downtownmiami.com

Baylink (lightrail line connecting downtown to Miami Beach)

aaa.sized.jpg

The Residences at Brickell

abe.sized.jpg

Coral Station @ Brickell Way

aba.sized.jpg

The Jade

aaw.sized.jpg

Brickell View

aav.sized.jpg

The Village on Bayshore

aau.sized.jpg

United States Courthouse

aat.sized.jpg

Uptown Lofts

aas.sized.jpg

The Loft

aar.sized.jpg

Island Gardens

aai.sized.jpg

Flager First

aah.sized.jpg

Capitol Building Lofts

aac.sized.jpg

The Performing Arts Center

aap.jpg

Wow, even more projects! Miami must be going through the largest construction boom of any US city outside of Chicago right now. There are so many new, proposed, & u/c highrises in Miami. Can you send one of the projects to Detroit? LOL. He haven't built a skyscraper in more than 10 years now :(.

watch out Chicago............more Miami projects!

900 Biscayne - 56 stories/516 unit codo tower

900-Biscayne-Blvd-Rendering.jpg

Skyline Mary Brickell

162702.jpg

Latitude on the River-Office Tower-21 stories

160417.jpg

Brickell on the River-phase II-46 stories

imhHome2.jpg

NEO VERTIKA

1pixeltrans.gif

The towers below are being designed by Borges Architects. To see the renderings, click on the provided link:

http://www.borgesarchitects.com/Boges_index.html

The miami flatiron building

Urban Residential Tower

After seeing a lot of Miami pics and information in recent times, I'm beginning to really like the place.

I think it may be one of my favorite cities of the USA - up there with Boston, NYC, Seattle, and etc.

Only thing I hate to hear are those price tags... Starting at $180k?? Whew. Better be a good job in Miami to fuel that. ;)

^that's the main reason I'm not living down there right now. Anyway, this news should make you happy.

17 March 2004

Miami on board for city streetcar project

Miami will consider building a streetcar line to link downtown with neighborhoods east of Interstate 95 that are undergoing a redevelopment boom.

By ANDRES VIGLUCCI

[email protected]

Miami officials want to build a streetcar rail line to connect downtown with the city's resurgent neighborhoods to the north, citing the need to provide thousands of expected new urban dwellers an alternative to using their cars.

Miami Mayor Manny Diaz believes the city can build an initial ''demonstration'' phase relatively quickly and inexpensively, with streetcars powered by overhead electrical wires up and running within three years from the start of construction.

The city has hired an engineering firm to study the light-rail line's feasibility and select possible routes. The idea is to finance the project with the city's share of Miami-Dade County's half-cent sales tax, projected at slightly less than $10 million a year. That would save considerable time by forgoing complex requests for federal funding.

''I'm told that it is doable,'' Diaz said in an interview. ``It has to get done. It's something we need very much. Other cities have done it. If we have to kick-start it, we will.''

The city streetcar line would be planned and built separately from the county's ambitious transit plan, which is focused in large part on expansion of Metrorail's expensive heavy-rail commuter lines into the suburbs.

Instead, the city's light-rail line would be a local neighborhood service, traveling at ground level and stopping every few blocks, planners said. It would share roadways and lanes with automobiles, making it relatively simple to build and easy for pedestrians to board. To enhance mobility, streetcar systems are typically designed so that traffic lights turn green as streetcars approach.

`DEFINITELY WORKS'

Several major U.S. cities -- including Portland, Ore., Denver and San Diego -- have built similar systems in the past few years.

''This is a technology that definitely works,'' said Lilia Medina, the city's assistant transportation coordinator, who is overseeing the project. ``We just want to make sure there is a ridership for it.''

Miami and Miami Beach have approved a separate streetcar line, dubbed BayLink, that would connect downtown Miami and South Beach. But that project is part of the county plan and is unlikely to happen for a decade at least. The city streetcar line would connect with BayLink.

WITHIN BOUNDARIES

The decision to go it solo on a streetcar line underscores city officials' increasing sense of urgency about expanding public transit inside Miami's boundaries. Developers have broken ground on thousands of condo units and apartments from the Brickell district north through Edgewater and the city's Upper East Side, where a surge in home rehabilitation has revitalized once-deteriorated neighborhoods.

But the development boom has raised worries about the effects of increased auto traffic on already congested roadways like Biscayne Boulevard.

Moreover, Diaz said, the success of the city's redevelopment will depend on linking different sections together -- making it easy, say, for residents of Little Haiti or the Buena Vista historic neighborhood to take a streetcar to work, the new Performing Arts Center or shops and restaurants opening up along the Biscayne Boulevard corridor.

''It's not just the traffic,'' the mayor said. ``The connectivity of neighborhoods is important.''

POSSIBLE ROUTES

Possible routes include Biscayne Boulevard, Miami Avenue and Northeast Second Avenue, Medina said. How far north the first phase reaches will depend on how much the city can afford to build on its own, she said.

Typically, streetcar lines cost around $24 million per mile to build, but the figure can vary depending on local conditions, said Wilson Fernandez, a county transportation planner.

The city's eventual goal is to reach the northern boundary at 87th Street -- about five miles from downtown -- and later perhaps to build a second line extending west along Calle Ocho through Little Havana and Flagami to Coral Gables.

Ironically, that route would replicate a streetcar line, built in the 1920s and long-ago dismantled, that once extended from Miami Beach to Coral Gables.

I can't believe how many transit projects Miami has! It sounds like the new streetcars will connect the up-and-coming Miami Design District with the CBD. With the new light-rail, Baylink, and MetroRail extension, you'll be able to go anywhere in Dade county with transit. Alot of cities wish they had public transportation this successful!

Archived