The Shore | Kimpton Hotel

eastsider

A Kimpton Hotel and a condominium project called The Shore are planned for a 2-acre site in the Waterfront District.

The Shore will be 22-stories with 192 residential units that will be developed by High Street Residential, a division of Trammell Crow. This project will be environmentally friendly and seek certification by the Austin Green Building Program. The exterior materials will be made up of glass, steel, and stone. Groundbreaking is sheduled for the 2nd quarter 2006. From looking at the website, it looks like most of the units have already been reserved.

theshore24zc.jpg

theshore6as.jpg

JMI Realty will be developing Kimpton Hotel which will have 250 rooms and could have some high-end residential units on top.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

The shore's showroom is up at 5th and Colorado. They fixed up the trailer that they moved to the parking lot there and it looks pretty neat. I should go over there and take a look to see if they have a scale model of the building.

They have started demolishing the existing building/buildings on the site of the Shore. I just drove by there about 40 min ago and there is alot of activity going on. Starting June 1st I will be taking monthly pictures of not only the Shore's construction progress but of other downtown Austin projects currently under construction. :yahoo::yahoo:

A Kimpton Hotel and a condominium project called The Shore are planned for a 2-acre site in the Waterfront District.

The Shore will be 22-stories with 192 residential units that will be developed by High Street Residential, a division of Trammell Crow. This project will be environmentally friendly and seek certification by the Austin Green Building Program. The exterior materials will be made up of glass, steel, and stone. Groundbreaking is sheduled for the 2nd quarter 2006. From looking at the website, it looks like most of the units have already been reserved.

theshore24zc.jpg

theshore6as.jpg

JMI Realty will be developing Kimpton Hotel which will have 250 rooms and could have some high-end residential units on top.

This looks like a great place to live. Too rich for me though. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Great to see that another project is "officially" under way. :w00t::yahoo:

Looks like Lance Armstrong will be an investor in the project as well as having a unit reserved on one of the upper floors.

Austin American-Statesman: Condos fit for a champion break ground

The article mentions that the Kimpton Hotel will be 29-stories with 290 rooms and 55 condos on the upper floors. I thought that I had read earlier that it would be a 22-story twin to the shore (I assumed that it would be the same design). Is there any more info on this building or a timeline for its construction?

Great to see that another project is "officially" under way. :w00t::yahoo:

Looks like Lance Armstrong will be an investor in the project as well as having a unit reserved on one of the upper floors.

Austin American-Statesman: Condos fit for a champion break ground

The article mentions that the Kimpton Hotel will be 29-stories with 290 rooms and 55 condos on the upper floors. I thought that I had read earlier that it would be a 22-story twin to the shore (I assumed that it would be the same design). Is there any more info on this building or a timeline for its construction?

There website still says 22 stories and there almost sold out.

You know I was also under the impression that it would be a twin to the shore as well but from what I understand it now is that it will be across the street from the Shore at 603 Davis street. There are no renderings of this tower just yet and it actually has not started construction but they have changed the plans for the hotel adding several floors to 29 stories. It should be in the same ballpark in height or close to the height as the Hilton Hotel...

OK, happened on a little info about the Kimpton. Came across The Shore on the HWA Engineering website (http://www.hayneswhaley.com/project.aspx?t...mp;id=2005-2092), and it list the client as JMI Reality and architect as Hornberger+Worstell, Inc. JMI is the developer of the Kimpton project while High Street Residential is developing the Shore which is designed by WDG Architecture. The engineering site uses the rendering of the Shore which I'm guessing is just a filler or it was indeed at one point a twin. The Hornberger+Worstell website doesn't have anything about an Austin project, but JMI Reality and Kimpton Hotels are both listed under clients.

What does this all mean? :dontknow: not much, just a little info.

The engineering documents are online on the city's website.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/gis/reviewcases...ASE=SP-05-1575C

According to the elevations, it looks like the Kimpton was not supposed to be a twin to the Shore. It was planned at 26-stories with floors 5-15 for hotel and floors 16-26 for condos. The planned height of the Kimpton was 298'-6" above Davis St. while the Shore's height appears to be 251'-8".

http://coagis1.ci.austin.tx.us/output/I1234443864.TIF

Also, it looks like they are planned for the same site on the same side of the street.

Site plan: http://coagis1.ci.austin.tx.us/output/I1234487364.TIF

It looks like these plans were submitted in late March, its obvious that some things have been changed since then but not sure how much.

Yea now Im hearing its height now will be in the area of the Hilton Hotel. It is odd though to me that they would imply when this announcment came out that it would be part of the same overall building just a twin now its seperated by a street and will be quite a bit taller. Im all for taller buildings of course so Im excited but it just seems to me like there was a bit too much confusion even in the media.

• 1 month later...

Appaerently, JMI Realty plans to break ground on the Kimpton Hotel/residential tower in November.

Austin American-Statesman: Austin's 2 newest hotels to open Friday

Thanks for the updates eastsider. :thumbsup: Have'nt had much traffic here for a while. I just bought my own digital camera and thought about taking some pics downtown to post. Can anyone tell me how to post bigger pics, instead of thumb-nails?

• 2 weeks later...

Hotel Van Zandt will be the name of the Kimpton Hotel that will be built in the Waterfront District. As mentioned earlier it will be 29-stories with 55 condominiums atop 290 hotel rooms. It will also feature a 5,000 sf deck, ballroom, and 100-seat restaurant. Prices for the condos will range from $500,000 - $2,000,000 for units between 1,450 sf and 5,000 sf in size.

He said the Van Zandt name reflects both Texas history and Austin's musical roots.

Isaac Van Zandt was the first ambassador to the United States from the Republic of Texas. Generations later, his great-great-great grandson, Townes Van Zandt, became a legendary singer and songwriter whose career was cut short when he died in 1997.

hotelvanzandtlgtv8.jpg

The Shore, which is already under construction next door, has sold 70% of its units and the rest are reserved.

Austin American-Statesman: Hotel/condo project has an Austin attitude

• 6 months later...
Hotel Van Zandt will be the name of the Kimpton Hotel that will be built in the Waterfront District. As mentioned earlier it will be 29-stories with 55 condominiums atop 290 hotel rooms. It will also feature a 5,000 sf deck, ballroom, and 100-seat restaurant. Prices for the condos will range from $500,000 - $2,000,000 for units between 1,450 sf and 5,000 sf in size.

hotelvanzandtlgtv8.jpg

The Shore, which is already under construction next door, has sold 70% of its units and the rest are reserved.

I was excited to read the QUOTE about Isaac Van Zandt and Townes Van Zandt and the background for this great hotel - but I was surprised that no one has mentioned the other "famous" relative from this fine family - my dad! Anyone remember "The Green Hornet"? Portrayed on TV by Van Williams - whose full name is Van Zandt Jarvis Williams. I can't wait to tell him about this hotel! :camera:

hotelvanzandtlgtv8.jpg

hotelvanzandtlgtv8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived