Eureka Springs

Mith242

Actually, it WAS your pix that brought me here..but in kind of a round-a-bout way...a friend in TN sent me the link.

It's interesting, many of the church groups don't ever get as far as downtown..they stay on the highway, see the play and get back on the bus. But then there are groups who get a big shock when they actually SEE Eureka for what and who we are...not just our large gay/lesbian population, but also the metaphysical, the buddas, the artists, the musicians, and all the rest that make Eureka more of a metro area than some of the local metro areas.

And for that big statue...we hear all kinds of things..the folks into country western thinks it looks like Willie Nelson...it has been called the great chalk monster, the worlds largest milk carton with arms, and of course the gay crowd or the straight cross-dressers that come here feel welcomed by the 7 story dude in a dress

overlooking them... :)

And to our businesses...one has nothing to do with tourism, so it's great to live in a place like Eureka and work far, far away to make our living..the other...as seen by our screen name is more tourism related..but even that one has many business clients from the NW Arkansas corridor.

Is there a decline in tourism in Eureka..no, I don't think so...a shift..yes..a new tourist direction, yes..

but mostly what you hear or read is just many of the businesses are unwilling to see new directions, many just want things 'the way the were' say 20-40 years ago...I'm sure Bentonville, Rogers see some of that mentality too.

On another note, your pix from around the state are great..is that what you do for a living?

I'm also interested in knowing how those who visit Eureka, see Eureka in terms of what the town offers..the good, the bad, the ugly?

Maybe a new thread for those musings?

Okay I'll go ahead and start off a new topic with your post. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing some more talk and discussion about Eureka. Glad you found us EurekaHouseDotcom, even if it was in a roundabout way. Thanks for the info, I've wondered about some aspects of the town but never really asked anyone who lived there. I thought your comments about the tourism not dropping but simply changing was very interesting. I guess it remains to see if the town grows to adapt these changes. Even if the more religious tourism does continue to drop in the future I don't think Eureka Springs is doomed. I think it's too close to the NWA metro for that. That and as the NWA metro continues to grow like it is I think that also means more tourist to visit even if they are just weekend tourists. I always thought it was very interesting to have so many fundamentally different people all living in such a small town like Eureka. I can't really speak because I don't live there but I've gotten the impression that overall everyone gets along. Oh and on your other question, no photography is just a hobby of mine. But I certainly wouldn't mind trying to do a little more with it. I guess it's just a matter of getting it off the ground so to speak.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few questions for you EurekaHouseDotcom. Since you actually live there I was curious where you'd like the city to be in the near future. Would you like to see more development? Do you think that as the NWA metro continues to grow that Eureka Springs could end up becoming more of a bedroom community for it? Perhaps I didn't phrase that very well. Could you see more people perhaps living in Eureka but working in the NWA metro and changing the 'feel' of Eureka?

On another note I found it interesting you came from Colorado to Eureka Springs. Did you have some ties here? Just seems an odd place to settle down if you're living in Coloardo.

I have a few questions for you EurekaHouseDotcom. Since you actually live there I was curious where you'd like the city to be in the near future. Would you like to see more development? Do you think that as the NWA metro continues to grow that Eureka Springs could end up becoming more of a bedroom community for it? Perhaps I didn't phrase that very well. Could you see more people perhaps living in Eureka but working in the NWA metro and changing the 'feel' of Eureka?

On another note I found it interesting you came from Colorado to Eureka Springs. Did you have some ties here? Just seems an odd place to settle down if you're living in Coloardo.

It's interesting...going back to our discussion about (Nielsen TV) DMAs, Carroll County is in the Springfield, MO television market.

Around 2002 and 2003 I'd heard they were fighting NWA media encroachment there...maybe that attitude will change.

It's interesting...going back to our discussion about (Nielsen TV) DMAs, Carroll County is in the Springfield, MO television market.

Around 2002 and 2003 I'd heard they were fighting NWA media encroachment there...maybe that attitude will change.

Yeah isn't Eureka Springs just an hour away from Branson? I could see them being part of the Springfield tv market. It's closer than Ft Smith. But as the NWA tv market matures perhaps that will change.

Yes, Eureka is about an hour from Branson, and yes, the only local channels that come off satellite are from Springfield. In some areas, off air antenna will pick up 40/29 - but most watch Springfield as a local channel.

in 1987 I was ready to move from Colorado and was pretty determined to head to Vermont..but on a road trip to see my grandfather in a nursing home in SE Kansas..took some extra time and headed across NW Arkansas. I came upon Eureka quite by accident. I stayed a few days, bought a house and then spent a few years between here and Colorado until I could get all my business interest moved here and sell off some of the real estate there.

I've never regretted the move. Didn't know a soul here. It did and does remind me a bit of Boulder CO where I grew up..when Boulder was small and somewhat affordable.

Eureka pretty much welcomes ALL. But some will talk about the Eureka Purge..many who come here don't stay..It's not so much you choose Eureka, it more like Eureka chooses YOU...or not.

The 'or nots' don't last here long and somehow manage to blame their failings on the city, the chamber, the lack of ads, the passion play, the gays...the whatevers.

But for the folks who have made Eureka their home, there is much magic..far more than the casual visitor might imagine. Yes, we can fight like cats and dogs..rabid to boot..but if there is a need, this town pulls out all stops to make sure whatever the personal issue is handled with speed, love and a caring i've not seen anywhere else.

Ask away....

And I'm curious to know what folks in the NW metro area think of Eureka..what makes you come here. What would make you come here more often?

And yes, I have said for years now that I think Eureka will become a bedroom community. And not a thing wrong with that. Change is good and what a special bedroom you'll have. :)

Interesting that you would compare it to Boulder. I haven't been there, but it does remind me a bit of some of the mining towns in southwest Colorado. I've heard a few people make a reference to New Orleans but I think that would have to apply more to some of the architecture. I guess what has most interested me with Eureka is the history and the buildings. To be honest I'm not sure why I don't visit more often. Every time I go I ask myself why it's been as long as it's been since I've visited. I admit maybe I'd be more likely to visit more frequently if driving there didn't take quite so long. It seems a bit silly but in some ways I have to think that has some part of it. But at the same time the slow winding road seems to emphasize that you're entering another area, or maybe it's just me. I'd like to think that Eureka won't become just another bedroom community. I think it has enough to offer to keep it from being your average bedroom community. I'm curious has the city had much population growth? From what I can tell it doesn't seem to be growing very much. Although maybe my perception is skewed because of the rapid growth here. I have wondered what would it take for Eureka to draw more attention from people in NWA. I wonder if even little things like news coverage and such would make it seem more a part of the area and put Eureka more in people's minds.

Eureka itself...the city proper always maintains about the same population...but where the growth is occuring is right outside the city limits..HUGE boom at Holiday Island, tons of new houses being built out by Beaver Lake and the hills in and around Eureka.

Lots of folks coming from the coasts and large metro areas. The schools are great and the cost of living is still very reasonable compared to cities.

As far as commercial growth...it's tucked here and there. Since there aren't alot of flat spaces in Eureka, the growth is not as noticeable..

Many of the B&B's have been sold and returned to private residences.

I understand the driving thing...I don't venture to Rogers, Fayetteville, etc much either..and you get spoiled over here..no traffic lights :)

And becoming average? Nah...hard to be the worlds largest open air asylum and be average - LOL

I've visited Eureka Springs once...but I was just a little kid. I remember the streets were packed. I went to see the passion play with my family (since then my religious views have changed quite a bit). I believe that was the main reason we went.

Eureka spring's main attraction is being a small quaint village in the Ozarks. I'm not sure you could really develop more without hurting its character.

I really don't know. Eureka Springs is an odd place. It's a little off the beaten path.

Cities like Boulder or Taos have skiing to lure people. What does Eureka Springs have?

What can Eureka Springs do that Branson won't/can't? Hot Springs was in a similar position to Eureka, but it doesn't really have a nearby competitor.

Maybe capitalize on your strengths. Your openness and tolerance. Create a huge festival or something (perhaps where "tolerance" is the main attraction). Ya know, like those major concerts where everyone congregates in some farm field in the middle of nowhere. Woodstockish. (That would seem to fit in perfectly for a progressive town like ES....where people from around the country would take road trips to converge on this quaint Ozark town.)

I really have no idea. I'm just a rambling teen with a naive outlook on the world.

If you really want to attract the sporty/progressive crowd like that of Taos and Boulder, build a white water park and develop an extensive trail system (which I'm sure you guys already have.) A white water park for kayakers that runs year round (here's a link to what I'm talking about http://www.ozarkpages.com/ar_course_info.html).

Unfortunately, ES lacks the truly amazing natural scenery that Taos and Boulder have. So innovate. It's what has kept countries like Japan alive and thriving.

If you start developing major attractions, you'll always be behind Branson. This is a toughie. If ES wasn't in its unique location, I'd simply answer: build more attractions. Alas, there's no way ES will surpass Branson development-wise in our lifetimes.

Like I said, ES's allure is being a small, quaint Ozark town. And that may ultimately be the best route to go.

But perhaps consider this: Branson is where people go to die (a jab at the oldies there). Make ES the place where 20s and 30s go to live.

I knew there was a large historical district there but I guess I hadn't realized it emcompassed so much of the town. I don't think 'attractions' are going to improve Eureka in my opinion. And like Johnny said you'll always be behind Branson. I think it's already heading more towards arts and crafts which I think is good for it. If it could maybe get some larger arts and crafts festivals. Maybe a little bit like I've seen some small older towns out west. I'd say maybe some more arts and crafts shops as well but it might be hard to always attract people especially if NWA is close by and also gets some similar shops going themselves. Of course Eureka has it's nice setting. No Eureka isn't Taos and doesn't have the Rocky Mtns in the backdrop. But it's still somewhat close to many nice natural areas of the Ozarks. Maybe if it tried to promote itself more of a place to stay while you're out enjoying the Buffalo National River and such. One thing I'd also like to point out is that despite not having a setting in the Rocky Mtns, I've been surprised how many of the towns that might be comparable to Eureka are rather flat. The towns are built in flat areas with the mountains around them. But Eureka is very hilly. Just thought that was interesting.

When I was growing up in Fayetteville, the only occasions I went to Eureka Springs (~5 times) was with my family as a weekend something-to-do trip. Shop and eat and walk around. The last time I went there (some months ago) was just for business, but I still like it-- very quaint.

However, I think that's really all I see it as personally, as just a quaint place to spend a Saturday or Sunday with your family. Are there any major festivals there (other than the Great Passion Play)? I can't remember any. Either way, it seems more as a family place or for older people. It's like a college town (like Dickson in Fayetteville), with style and character, but with older people.

As far as a bedroom community, I just can't see how someone would put up with driving through Hwy 62 to get to/from their place of employment from/to Eureka Springs. Even when AHTD widens Hwy 62 up to Gateway, the rough part is Gateway to Eureka. That part requires extra driving attention.

I know a fellow who works in Springdale, and actually lives in Eureka. But he only commutes occasionally, however, since he mostly works out of his home.

Eureka Springs is very cool, though, and I hope that any change or development it might occur in the near future is for the best, and doesn't come at the expense of what makes it cool. I imagine that's pretty much a given, since much of the industry there is tourism related I'm assuming.

I don't think Eureka will become a bedroom community overnight. But as this area continues to grow people are going to keep moving further out away from the center of the metro. With the roads the way they are it would be a bit of a drive but it wouldn't surprise me too much if there were some people wanting to live in Eureka Springs but might have to have a job in the metro.

I don't think Eureka will become a bedroom community overnight. But as this area continues to grow people are going to keep moving further out away from the center of the metro. With the roads the way they are it would be a bit of a drive but it wouldn't surprise me too much if there were some people wanting to live in Eureka Springs but might have to have a job in the metro.

Don't forget Holiday Island, which at worst is equidistant between Branson and Rogers. I've heard Dan Ferritor and other UA profs have homes there.

My daughter, when she was in public schools, had a teacher who (still) commutes from ES. It's interesting that when you go by XNA there's a Eureka Springs banner and I think a Holiday Island one, but I don't there are are any other Carroll County communities listed.

I don't know if this arrangement is still working, but wasn't Carroll County once part of that pretty much uniquely southern phenomenon of the "two-seat-county"? I think both ES and Berryville (which does feel more like Harrison than an NWA community, though I'm sure it has NWA commuters and is very much a thriving town) were the county seats. East Arkansas and the Fort Smith area also had such counties (Franklin, Yell, Logan for the latter), mainly in areas, I believe, where there were rivers and floods could cut off one part of the county from the other. Mississippi and, I think, Alabama also had such arrangements.

I'm really enjoying reading what people have to say on Eureka and the area. Yes, I guess we are more of a bedroom already than most realize. There are tons of folks who live in this area..Eureka/Holiday Island/Beaver Lake that make the drive daily...and more and more moving here to do just that. I do understand about the roads, but if you've come from ..say..CA and have spent years driving hours to get to work or stuck on the freeway, then I guess ambling through even 62 to Gateway seems a pleasant change.

Eureka has always and is seeminly now morphing into exactly what it needs to be. That's not saying that all the residents are happy with the change, but for myself, I welcome it.

I've spent the last 40 years in tourist towns either in Colorado or here...and they each have cycles, transitions..while always retaining their individuality. Eureka is no different.

Eureka will NEVER be the family destination that Branson is...nor should they try. Eureka's strength is the romance crowd..the rest, renew, relax crowd. Whether that be the under 30 that would normally frequent Dickson St or the over 40 crowd looking to wind down a bit with great food, top-notch body work and massage, or just a laid back 3-4 days in the woods...with all and more of the comforts of home.

So many who come here really enjoy the art galleries, the architecture, the safety...great place for women travelers...the food, and the quality entertainment that comes to town,

If you're 21 there are bars that cater to a younger crowd with the music and decor. And for the over 30 crowd..there are plenty of choices for music, dancing, or quiet places..with solo acts. Lots going on all the time.

Yes, Eureka is like Arkansas' best kept secret!

And I guess what makes it so cool is like all secrets...one person tells another who tells another and they come...and most still feel like they have found a gem that no one else knows about.

So, what would I like the TOWN to do? hmmmm, the town is doing fine, it's the official ad folks (CAPC) that seem to be in a quandry or lacking the direction needed to actually promote effectively.

There truly is something for everyone here...I mean heck, where else can you go where Jesus dies and Elvis lives...5 nights a week?

There truly is something for everyone here...I mean heck, where else can you go where Jesus dies and Elvis lives...5 nights a week?

:lol:

I think I'd have to agree with your post. I'm glad Eureka hasn't gone the branson route. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Branson. But I don't think that's the way Eureka Springs should go. I recently read about people in Eureka Springs wanting to advertise more in Branson and also along I-40. Would you agree with this?

Well, I'm not sure about the 'people' wanting to adverstise in Branson or I-40, that would be more like the CAPC - city advertising and promotion...or the business groups like the Passion Play and some of the larger hotels..

Those groups are always grasping at whatever straws they can come up with.

More strategic, targeted marketing would probably serve them better than the shotgun approach of putting a billboard somewhere and hoping that it attracts enough attention at 65MPH...I can't think of a single billboard that prompted me to go on vacation.

The last place I went on vacation was to Vieques Island...but I like weird, strange little places...

You know, those 'secret' kind of places. :)

Where do you go when you go on vacation?

Well, I'm not sure about the 'people' wanting to adverstise in Branson or I-40, that would be more like the CAPC - city advertising and promotion...or the business groups like the Passion Play and some of the larger hotels..

Those groups are always grasping at whatever straws they can come up with.

More strategic, targeted marketing would probably serve them better than the shotgun approach of putting a billboard somewhere and hoping that it attracts enough attention at 65MPH...I can't think of a single billboard that prompted me to go on vacation.

The last place I went on vacation was to Vieques Island...but I like weird, strange little places...

You know, those 'secret' kind of places. :)

Where do you go when you go on vacation?

I can see your point about a billboard. But it would seem that there must be some way to advertise around Branson and try to attract a few of those visitors since Branson isn't too far away. As far as vacations go, I always go out west. I have some family out there and it lets me see some of the beautiful areas out there.

I can't speak for everyone but sometimes for me it's just being reminded of a place. Sometimes I intend on trying to visit a place and then just eventually get around to it. But sometimes maybe something comes up and I forget about it. I obviously already know about Eureka but like I said a little reminder could sometimes help. But I just thought if there was a way to let people visiting Branson know that there was a place like Eureka Springs not too far away that maybe some would be interested enough to see it. I met one couple while I was on the 'trolley' system. They were from Ohio, and they mentioned they originally had come with some friends to see Branson. I got the impression Branson wasn't quite what they were expecting or something and they had decided to check out a little of Arkansas and they had seen something on the internet about Eureka Springs. In that case they happened to look it up before they came but I was just thinking that maybe others would check the town out if they knew.

I agree that being reminded is a great thing...but I think there are better ways than billboards. Cross-promotion with other cities, businesses, publication articles may get more attention.

We do see lots of folks who wander into Branson and it's not quite what they had in mind. Most of those are either singles or couples...the families seem quite content in Branson as does the senior market.

Places like this around the net also have an impact. When people read and see pictures (like YOUR - they are fabulous) - it sparks an interest.

This weekend kicks off some fun stuff in Eureka..May is Arts month and there is lots going on. HUGE parade on Sat and then gallery walks, special shows, White St Walk on the 19th - May is a great month in Eureka and gorgeous too...

I agree that being reminded is a great thing...but I think there are better ways than billboards. Cross-promotion with other cities, businesses, publication articles may get more attention.

We do see lots of folks who wander into Branson and it's not quite what they had in mind. Most of those are either singles or couples...the families seem quite content in Branson as does the senior market.

Places like this around the net also have an impact. When people read and see pictures (like YOUR - they are fabulous) - it sparks an interest.

This weekend kicks off some fun stuff in Eureka..May is Arts month and there is lots going on. HUGE parade on Sat and then gallery walks, special shows, White St Walk on the 19th - May is a great month in Eureka and gorgeous too...

That is one thing I haven't seen much of. Most of the time I've been to Eureka Springs there wasn't any festival or anything big going on. Sometime I should check one out and see what what a festival there is like. I don't think I'll be back over anytime real soon, but I was curious what festivals were considered 'must-see' events.

That is one thing I haven't seen much of. Most of the time I've been to Eureka Springs there wasn't any festival or anything big going on. Sometime I should check one out and see what what a festival there is like. I don't think I'll be back over anytime real soon, but I was curious what festivals were considered 'must-see' events.

The Jazz and Blues festivals are small by most standards but I've been to both and you can have fun there. If you expect to see a lot of legends you won't but Eureka is a great place to go kill a weekend and have a good time. Its biggest problem now is its rep as a romantic destination with shopping, a place to take your girlfriend, wife (or both) for the weekend. That doesn't appeal to a lot of men. More golf and watersports on nearby lakes might help with that. Holiday Island sure seems nice.

Archived