Eureka Springs

Mith242

The Jazz and Blues festivals are small by most standards but I've been to both and you can have fun there. If you expect to see a lot of legends you won't but Eureka is a great place to go kill a weekend and have a good time. Its biggest problem now is its rep as a romantic destination with shopping, a place to take your girlfriend, wife (or both) for the weekend. That doesn't appeal to a lot of men. More golf and watersports on nearby lakes might help with that. Holiday Island sure seems nice.

Yeah I admit the romatic theme doesn't appeal to me much. I'm not married and don't feel like getting into any relationship anytime soon. So that aspect doesn't do anything for me. But there is more to Eureka Springs than that so I'm not too worried.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I admit the romatic theme doesn't appeal to me much. I'm not married and don't feel like getting into any relationship anytime soon. So that aspect doesn't do anything for me. But there is more to Eureka Springs than that so I'm not too worried.

Well, it can score you some brownie points with a chick if you ever really need to pull out a trump card, especially if she's never been there.

I just like to get drunk and walk back to the hotel, and you can do that there. Thankfully, my wife's OK with that. We usually stay at the Basin Park.

Well, it can score you some brownie points with a chick if you ever really need to pull out a trump card, especially if she's never been there.

I just like to get drunk and walk back to the hotel, and you can do that there. Thankfully, my wife's OK with that. We usually stay at the Basin Park.

If we ever get the Divinity development going you'll be able to do it here on Dickson too. :lol:

Oh yeah there was a mention of Eureka Springs in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette today. It was talking about someone cutting down a couple of trees to allow more parking at their B&B. Although it didn't have the same tone as some of the similar situations here in Fayetteville.

I'm still really curious as to what would draw the NW Arkansas corridor to Eureka Springs. If Eureka built Branson-like attractions would that draw you here?

If Eureka advertised more of its festivals, events in local NE AR publications would that be a draw?

What about rest, relax, renew? Specials that include a great massage and a fabulous dinner somewhere?

Is it the shopping? How about the Sunday Open air market? How about the Sunday night movies - outdoors..that one is alot of fun?

Come on...if YOU got to run Eureka, how would you mold it, make it, design it, promote it?

I'm still really curious as to what would draw the NW Arkansas corridor to Eureka Springs. If Eureka built Branson-like attractions would that draw you here?

If Eureka advertised more of its festivals, events in local NE AR publications would that be a draw?

What about rest, relax, renew? Specials that include a great massage and a fabulous dinner somewhere?

Is it the shopping? How about the Sunday Open air market? How about the Sunday night movies - outdoors..that one is alot of fun?

Come on...if YOU got to run Eureka, how would you mold it, make it, design it, promote it?

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Eureka advertise more. Although I have noticed that there is often quite a few mentions of it in the northwest edition of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette . Seems like they tend to mention things going on over the weekend. But for me I think I'd still like to see more ties between out areas. For people to consider it more a part of NWA. It really isn't that far away, but I think between the long winding drive over and just the perception that it's not quite a part of NWA makes it seem like it's farther away. I believe I've heard that there are some great shops for buying artwork. Seems like I even heard something about Eureka being an up and coming place to buy glass artwork like a few other hot spots around the country. I guess it would be nice if people maybe associated it with something like this and thought of it as a place to go. As more people move into NWA and have some larger disposible income, that they might consider Eureka a place to buy artwork to decorate their homes and such. But for me personally I just like the whole setting. I don't really go just to shop. I like to go and enjoy the town itself. I haveb't gotten around to mentioning this but I've wondered if Eureka has ever considered making parts of the town off limits to all vehicles but the 'trolleys'. I've wondered if making certain areas off limits to vehicles might make areas seem even more pedestrian friendly. Not that I've really seen people have a hard time getting around and walking. But if there was less traffic in some areas the trolley system might be able to run on a more timely manner I'd think.

Eureka should try to Market more here in NWA as a Spa City. We only have two real spa's here in Rogers, and they don't offer Resort Amenities.

Eureka should try to Market more here in NWA as a Spa City. We only have two real spa's here in Rogers, and they don't offer Resort Amenities.

That's a good idea Matt. Hot Springs looks like it might start trying to do more with spas in the near future. That could be something to appeal to some of the NWA crowd.

Wow..great ideas..keep em coming. Yes, we have lots of spas and incredible body workers here.

It seems to me that Eureka has a whole market of art buyers and folks seeking the rest, relax and renew...

I would say, leave the Branson style entertainment to Branson and capitalize Eureka as being something totally different and not available anywhere else...close that is.

Keep you thoughts coming,...your input is appreciated!

"Eureka Springs is a unique Victorian village in Carroll County, Arkansas which has its own curious culture and lifestyle. The city has a distinct European flavor with steep winding streets filled with Victorian-style cottages and manors.

The old commercial section of the city has an alpine character. The buildings are primarily constructed of local stone and lie along streets that curve around the hills and rise and fall with the topography in a five mile long loop. Some buildings have street level entrances on more than one floor. The local Catholic Church boasts a street level entrance in its bell tower."

Wikipedia.com

Can Branson claim that? No. So Eureka Springs should focus on the Victorian charm that already exists there and maybe modify any modern buildings to look more Victorian like the McDonalds did. I've never seen another Victorian styled McDonalds anywhere. Eureka Springs needs to increase the promotion of art galleries, museums, spas, boutique shops, restaurants, B&B's and cottages. Add a couple Victorian era brass bands, some colorful costumed street characters, close off some streets and add horse-drawn carriage rides and antique car taxis to the existing trolleys and you have a Disneyesque attraction, only without the rides and a giant mouse.

I do agree that Eureka shouldn't try to be Branson because that's just not going to work. I have noticed Eureka has pulled in some performers that I haven't seen come to the NWA metro. I've wondered how well the shows they have do.

Some nice art galleries would work well in the center of the downtown area, with may'be an outdoor market kind of deal.

Actually, there is a Sunday Market and a Sunday Movie as well...the press release that went out is below:

What's so FRESH about the Eureka Sunday Market besides produce and cut flowers, baked bread, and Passion Pies?

Starting on Sunday, May 7th The Eureka Sunday Market ... a place where neighbors meet will include and encourage random acts of creative marketing:

THE ART BAZAAR-- regional artists form the northwest corridor will sell and create their art on site: pottery, jewelry, paintings, photography, mosaics,stain glass,sculpture, shrines, handmade clothing, portarits painted for pets and people.

MUSICIANS COOP BOOTH-- local musicians CDs will be for sale. Meet our local musicians, sample their music live or recorded. Also every Sunday from 9:30 - 10:30

enjoy the Sunday Market Gospel Hour.

INTERACTION ATTRACTION CARNIVAL-- every second Sunday. Hands on booths where vistors make art and shrines or can be made into art with henne tattooes, face painters, hair braiders. Coming soon.... Advice booths: THE LAWYER IS IN, THE HOUSE DOCTOR IS IN, Jalopy Talk, and DEAR BLABBY advice for the love lorn and life challenged

THE ARTERY-- a living mural where all of the giant 27 art panels featuring "STILL LIFE" are for sale. The ARTERY features local and regional artists. To buy and view panels go to: www.eurekaspringsartists.com. All panels will change in September with 27 new artists. The theme is "WATER." Proceeds from sales are divided into 60% going to the artist and 40% toward an artist trust and materials for future ARTERYS.

BECOME AN OFFICIAL NEIGHBOR OF EUREKA SPRINGS-- Expect the unexpected Eureka -Style as our visitors become official neighbors experiencing a genuine tradition of commerce in a community market located in historic downtown Eureka Springs. Mingle and meet the locals. Only a short drive from YOUR neighborhood.

SOUTHERN LIVING will feature this community market in their July edition.

RIDE THE TROLLEY or take a horse drawn carriage-- from your hotel or inn directly to One North Main Parking Lot.

The Lucky 13 Starlight Outdoor Cinema Opens June 11th. Thriteen weeks of classic movies, live music, monsters and celebrity look-a-likes-- AND WELL... your basic good, clean weird family entertainment

www.lucky13cinema.org

Just when you thought you couldn't have anymore fun in a parking lot without a car...

EUREKA HAPPENS!

2006 Lucky 13 Starlight Cinema Schedule

June 11 KING KONG 2005

Sponsor: Basin Park Hotel Host: New Dehli Cafe

MUSIC: The ARIELS

Theme Contests: Best Urban Campsite--best bed, couch, comfy chair--

Be comfortable--wear Pajamas--and always best theme costume attire.

(DISCLAIMER: CONTEST MAY CHANGE DUE TO BETTER IDEA)

WARNING: No whining that the film is 3 hours long!

CONTEST: Best impression of an ape

Best terrified scream!!!!!

June 18 Wallace & Gromett-- Curse of the Wererabbit

Host: Little Bread Co.Host: The Eureka Market Host: WGW Marketing

MUSIC: The Hogscalders

CONTEST:GIANT VEGETABLE CONTEST--grow it! Buy it! Create it!

Plus--Cheese and cracker night--whistling contest

June 25 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Sponsor:Local Flavor Host: Eureka Springs Carnegie Library

MUSIC:TBA

CONTEST: Calling all wizards to come in Wogwart attire

Sweeping Contest: winner gets to sweep parking lot by magic or broom! (Just seeing if you are reading this.)

July 2 Grease

Sponsor: City of Eureka Springs CAPC Host: Sparky's Roadhouse

CONTEST: Sock Hop dance contest

July 9 Walk the Line

Sponsor: Bank of Eureka Springs Host: Henri's

MUSIC: The REBEL HOUNDS (Johnny Cash& June Carter Cash Tribute)

CONTEST: June and Johnny Cash sing off &

Best man in black

July 16 Harold and Maude

Host: Little Apple Inc. Host: Cliff Cottage Bed & Breakfast Inn

MUSIC: AWESOME POSSOMS

CONTEST: Best May/December couple

July 23 Drumline

Sponsor: McBride Distributing Company

MUSIC: TBA

CONTEST: Best first drumline

(pickle plastic buckets welcome-- award for most creative percussion instrument)

Best air drum solo

July 30 Corpse Bride

Sponsor: Crescent Hotel Host:Eureka Screams/Raycliff Manor

CONTEST: Best Wedding Attire

Plus" You are all invited to be special guests of _____________?

Apply to be married by Reverend Charlotte who conducted the first cyber-space wedding. film still available on the CNN web-site) on this date before the cinema (Costumes supplied)

Aug 6 Pillow Talk-- Doris Day/Rock Hudson

Sponsor: Diversity Pride

MUSIC: TBA

CONTEST: Rock Huson and Doris Day look-a-like contest

PLUS: DRAG THOSE PILLOWS OUT OF YOUR CLOSETS FOR THE TOWN'S BIGGEST PILLOW FIGHT!

Aug 13 Memoir of a Geisha

Host: Ermlio's Host: Vintage Cargo

CONTEST: Kimono on Down for the GEISHA RACE

CONTEST: Sumo Wrestling

Aug 20 Pass the Ammo (A Eureka Springs Classic)

Sponsor: Lovely County Citizen

MUSIC:BLUE MOON

CONTEST:MASCARA CRYATHOLON

CALLING ALL EXTRAS TO Act out your part on screen

PRIZES FOR THE BEST PROP USED IN FILMING THE MOVIE

Aug 27 Wild Ones--Marlon Brando

Sponsor: Nelson's Leather Host: Pied Piper Pub & The Cathouse

CONTEST: BEST MARLON BRANDO IMPRESSION

MUSIC: Kozmik Debriz

Sept 3 The Chronicles of NARNIA

Sponsor: Re/Max Host: Morrison/Woodward Eureka Art Gallery

Guest Host: The Great Passion Play______________

MUSIC: Consider the Source

CONTEST:Best theme costumes

TRIP TO NARNIA

AND Turpentine Creek Booth on site!

RAIN DATES FOR CANCELED SHOWS WILL CONTINUE THROUGH SEPTEMBER

Hope this is OK here...it went to several of the NW Arkansas papers....

Did any of you see this in your local papers?

I don't remember it having quite all that info but yeah there have been several articles on Eureka Springs in the northwest edition of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette in the last few weeks. I have a question for you EurekaHouseDotCom. Do you think Eureka is predestrian friendly? What do you think of the possibilities of closing off some streets to most traffic and just allowing pedestrian traffic, maybe at least for certain times? I'm not the best judge of the town but at times it seems the vehicular traffic of the tourist can really slow things down and cause problems.

Personally, I would love to see the upper part of Spring St (from Main St intersection to about the Post Office) closed except for Trolleys, and horse carriages at least from Friday night - Sunday late afternoon.

As many towns have done all around the country, the street-mospehere could be really cool....music, art, vendors, etc.

But...and here's the big but....while many of the locals and tourists would love it, the capc and council seem to operate in FEAR of a few businesses that might put up a squawk..

When there were street dances, the market, and of course Blues, the street is closed and it provides a great experience.

I'm not alone in my thinking...this comes up every now and then.

Personally, I would love to see the upper part of Spring St (from Main St intersection to about the Post Office) closed except for Trolleys, and horse carriages at least from Friday night - Sunday late afternoon.

As many towns have done all around the country, the street-mospehere could be really cool....music, art, vendors, etc.

But...and here's the big but....while many of the locals and tourists would love it, the capc and council seem to operate in FEAR of a few businesses that might put up a squawk..

When there were street dances, the market, and of course Blues, the street is closed and it provides a great experience.

I'm not alone in my thinking...this comes up every now and then.

Yeah I figured surely someone has thought about this before. But yeah I guess I can imagine some not being real happy with the idea. I wonder if anyone would really risk losing any business or if they are just worried about the change itself.

Fear of change seems to be the operative word or term around here.

I've been here almost 20 years and still see businesses and the capc/chamber trying to do things the same way enticing the same markets as they did 20 years ago.

Times change, markets change, demographics change..tourist towns have to accommodate those changes too..

For instance the Passion Play...lots of the motels that used to do big bus groups to the PP still want that to happen, but reality is that the groups that used to come to the PP are very elderly..if they are still alive.

The younger Christian market wants a bit more pizazz than the standard canned voice with little or no theatrics...while the Christian rock movement is growing by leaps and bounds, the stuck in a rut way is dying.

That's just one example.

In our biz, we cater to the upscale couple or couples or families that want the Eureka experience of fine art, fine dining, great bodywork , etc.

In fact we're adding a separate room in our lodging facility that will compliment our Wi-Fi.. a whole 'home office away from home" with high speed access, desk, phone, etc.

Today's traveler seems to want more or need more even when on vacation.

Thoughts?

I guess I don't fall into that home office away from home group. I tend to totally get away from everything when I'm on vacation. I guess at times it might be nice to try to catch up on something but most times I try to spend more time trying to immerse myself in the area. But I can see this becoming more common and probably a good idea to follow up on.

May'be Eureka should try it's hand again with tourism by creating a Christian Music Pavillion, sort of like a permanent staging area that could host Christian Concerts. It would coincide with the Passion Play, and could draw tourists from NWA and Branson.

May'be Eureka should try it's hand again with tourism by creating a Christian Music Pavillion, sort of like a permanent staging area that could host Christian Concerts. It would coincide with the Passion Play, and could draw tourists from NWA and Branson.

That does sound like a good idea. Still appealing to the Christian crowd but going more after the younger crowd as well. Something to try to appeal to Christian groups and families of different ages.

And of course it would be FREE right since none of us want to see Christianity exploited for a profit the way the Passion Play does.

And of course it would be FREE right since none of us want to see Christianity exploited for a profit the way the Passion Play does.

Of course it would be FREE..I'm with you, the whole exploitation of Christianity is a bit much..not just here, but everywhere. :rofl:

HDJI - yes, How does Jesus Invest?

but anyway, sidetracked there for a minute...

Who's coming over for White St Walk on the 19th?

Very interesting comments here on Eureka Springs. In running and entertainment company and wanting to appeal to more people in the corridor I am very open to ideas.

With bringing in very ecclectic entertainment we touch on many different likes which I think would be appealing. The news papers love what we do because it gives them something fun to write about.

We run our season in the slower months of the year, September to May so we are finishing up our season in the next few days. I would love to entertain any ideas about groups that you think would be good to have in and that you would like to see.

Keep the ideas flowing they are great.

Very interesting comments here on Eureka Springs. In running and entertainment company and wanting to appeal to more people in the corridor I am very open to ideas.

With bringing in very ecclectic entertainment we touch on many different likes which I think would be appealing. The news papers love what we do because it gives them something fun to write about.

We run our season in the slower months of the year, September to May so we are finishing up our season in the next few days. I would love to entertain any ideas about groups that you think would be good to have in and that you would like to see.

I loved Raycliff Manor when it was at the Berryville Fairgrounds, but it sucked last year in Springdale. I'm glad to see it going back to Eureka Springs and look forward to going this Halloween. How much involvement do you have with Raycliff Manor?

Welcome to the forum Steve. :D

Who's coming over for White St Walk on the 19th?

Don't know if I'll be heading back over to Eureka real soon. There's still some places like Ft Smith and Van Buren I've been meaning to check out sometime. But I would like to head back over and take more pics of course. Although maybe I would have some more time to check out more of the shops as well.

Archived