Eureka Springs

Mith242

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just curious. Don't go through any great lengths to find out. I'm not really into ghost haunts except on Halloween.

I probably won't see him again till Tuesday or Wednesday but I'll try to remember to ask. He's stayed there at the hotel before and seems rather interested in it.

I thought this artice in todays NWA Gazette would be some good reading material about Eureka Springs and it's future.

Eureka Springs : City aims to be recreational hub

BY: CHRIS BRANAM

The town that thrives on shopping and dining wants its visitors to lace up their hiking boots and pull out their fishing poles.

Eureka Springs draws almost 1 million visitors a year with its kitschy attractions and Victorian ambiance. But the city

Looks like the area is getting a winery. There have been a few very small wineries in northwest Arkansas but I don't think any of them have been around for years. A couple living in Eureka Springs, who already own an art gallery, wanted to add a winery to help attract tourists. They already have a couple of acres that they grow wine for themselves and friends. An opportunity came up for them to buy more nearby land and they decided to add on to their vinyard. The winery is under construction behind their art gallery and should be ready for this fall's harvest. Their first wine should be available around winter. I haven't heard any news on what kinds of grape and wines they intend on making. I'm really looking forward to having a vinyard and winery so close by. Even if the climate will keep them from making some more serious types of wines. Oh yeah guess I should mention the name. It's the Keels Creek Art Gallery and Winery.

That's great to hear.

I know Tontitown has a lot of grape fields, not sure if there's any wineries.

No, afraid there's no wineries. If there is any wine being made from grapes in that area it's just for their own use. Also they tended to grow grapes made for making juice and jelly, not wine. But to be honest with subdivisions going up everywhere I wonder how many grapes are left in that area.

Eureka Springs is bustin' out in June.

There seems to be something for everyone.

Starting Thursday the 8th of June the War Birds over Arkansas come to Eureka Springs. Any Scale WWI, WWII, Golden Era & Vintage Aircraft to 1945. Early arrivals welcome. Come early and tour Eureka Springs. No landing fee. AMA required. Just a gathering for the purpose of having Fun. 50/50 tickets. Camping permitted, no power, no water, port-a-potty. Grill available for cooking. There will be a generator for some charging power.

For additional information, please contact Tom & Sue, 479-253-7273 - Dale Locander 479- 636-5734 days.

The same weekend is the 2nd Saturday Gallery Stroll, Saturday, June 10th, 2006

The City's art galleries are joining forces to stage a monthly "Celebration of the Art of Eureka."

From April to December, on the second Saturday of each month, galleries on Spring Street and all around the town will open their doors from 6-9:00 pm. A colorful banner hanging outside each one will identify galleries participating in this fabulous fun event.

Also on Saturday this weekend, Off-Road Triathlon Saturday, June 10th, 2006

The Eureka Springs Off-Road Triathlon is a sprint-style triathlon event that will take place at Lake Leatherwood City Park in Eureka Springs, Arkansas on June 10, 2006.

The event will consist of a 0.5-mile swim, a 13-mile mountain bike circuit and a 5-mile trail run. For more information please visit our website at www.eurekaspringsoffroadtriathlon.com Come for the race and stay for the beauty and charm of Eureka Springs!

Nick Cross Race Director 479-244-5775

Did you know about the Stay over Sundays? Well here is the info' on it.

Stay over Sunday

Sunday, June 4th, 2006

Each Sunday from May 7 until October 8, plan to spend an additional night in Eureka Springs to experience the Eureka Springs Sunday Market and the Lucky 13 Starlight Cinema.

The Sunday Market offers individual vendors both local and regional offering farm fresh produce, flowers and plants, arts and crafts, collectibles, furniture, antiques, clothing and jewelry.

The Eureka Springs Sunday Market opens at 9:00 am every Sunday and closes at 4:00 pm. Rain or shine!

Plan to return to the big parking lot on North Main Street at 7:00 pm for the Lucky 13 Starlight Cinema.

Movies shown on the side of the Basin Spring Bath House Building. Movies will be announced as soon as they become available. All ages welcome. $3.00 suggested donation.

Enjoy live music and other entertainment and many other suprises, including show-themed costume contests before the movie begins at dark. Fun! Laughter! Prizes!

Gates open at 6:00 pm. BRING YOUR OWN SEATING.

If you need to go get a glass of water before we continue go rigth ahead because we have just gotten started I will keep the next mentions brief.

Murder in Eureka Springs!

Friday, June 16th, 2006 - Saturday, June 17th, 2006

Everybody loves a murder! Murder Mystery lovers are raving about this weekend murder mystery in Northwest Arkansas. The 1881 Crescent Cottage Inn and the 1884 Bridgeford House Bed and Breakfast Inn will host another exciting Murder Mystery Weekend on June 16th & 17th, 2006. Both historic inns are located in beautiful Eureka Springs, AR, just 45 minutes east of Fayetteville, AR. Reservations are now being taken for this fun-filled weekend. More information is available through the inns.

1881 Crescent Cottage Inn

Ray or Elise Dilfield

211 Spring St.

Eureka Springs, AR 72632

800-223-3246 toll free

www.1881crescentcottageinn.com

or

1884 Bridgeford House Bed and Breakfast Inn

Jeff or Nadara ("Sam") Feldman

263 Spring St.

Eureka Springs, AR 72632

888-567-2422 toll free

www.bridgefordhouse.com

Turpentine Creek's POW WOW Friday, June 16th, 2006 - Sunday, June 18th, 2006

Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge, located 7 miles south of Eureka Springs, Arkansas, on Scenic Highway 23, will again host its popular Native American Pow Wow on Father's Day weekend, 2006.

The festivities at Turpentine Creek are as follows:

Craft Booths open at 3:00 p.m. on Friday -

Grand Entry at 7:00 p.m.

Craft Booths open at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday -

Grand Entry at 1:00 & 7:00 p.m.

Craft Booths open at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday -

Grand Entry at 1:00 p.m.

The weekend celebration, in addition to the craft booths, will include dancing, Color Guard, drumming, artists, wildlife exhibits, and other activities. Food and soft drink concessions will be available.

Admission:

$5.00 Daily Admission, or $10.00 Advance Sale for Three Day Pass

Children 3 and under admitted free.

Proceeds help to build natural habitats for the Big Cats of Turpentine Creek!

No alcohol, drugs, or firearms permitted. - Not responsible for accidents or theft.

For pre sale tickets and additional information, please call Phyllis Jackson at (479) 253-5841 or (479) 253-3781 or email: [email protected]

12th Annual Street Rod & Custom Car Show

Saturday, June 17th, 2006

Car show, parade, DJ and music, games and fun for the entire family. For more information, please call 479-253-7541.

American Potters

Saturday, June 17th, 2006

Celebration of Late Depression Era American Potters. Sow's Ear Antiques, 3343 Hwy 62 east of Eureka Springs. For more information call Susan Krotz at 870-423-7311 or visit www.eurekaspringsantiques.com

Opera in the Ozarks

Friday, June 23rd, 2006 - Friday, July 21st, 2006

Opera in the Ozarks began as Inspiration Point Fine Arts Colony, founded in 1950 by Dr. Henry Hobart from Phillips University in Enid, Oklahoma.

Today, Opera in the Ozarks offers productions of some of the world's most beloved operas, which are performed during our four-week summer opera festival.

The company is chosen by audition. The young artists sing all roles. Each set of principals is double cast and all other roles are performed by The Studio Singers.

All operas are fully produced and supported by a professional orchestra. The artists gain invaluable experience performing with a professional orchestra, a feature not provided by most musical centers in the country.

Performances take place on a sheltered outdoor stage with a seating capacity of 300. The Theater and the Fine Arts Colony are located six miles west of Eureka Springs, Arkansas on highway 62.

Curtain time is 8:00 pm. All seats are reserved. 479-253-8595

June 23, 28, July 1, 6, 14, 17, 21: La Traviata

June 24, 29, July 2, 5, 8, 11, 15, 19: IL Barbiere Di Siviglia

June 25: "Who's Afraid of Opera" FAMILY NIGHT

June 27, 30, July 3, 7, 10, 12, 20: Gianni Schicchi & Suor Angelica

July 16: Opera Scenes

July 18: Chamber Concert

(DARK DATES are June 26, July 4, 9, 13)

For additional information and ticket purchase, please visit www.operaintheozarks.com

Christ of the Ozarks 40th Anniversary

Saturday, June 24th, 2006

40th anniversary of the dedication of the Christ of the Ozarks Statue at The Great Passion Play. 800-882-7529 www.greatpassionplay.com

Now if that is not enough to get you started I don't know what it will take. All of these events are listed on the calendar at www.eurekasprings.org and there could be more listed by the time you take a look. There are many things happening daily such as the Pine Mountain Jamboree and the Ozark Mountain Hoe-Down. as well as other things to go see and do. I will be posting some of the new places in town to stay and some of the new things to do but I think I have said enough for today. I hope you enjoy your visit.

• 4 weeks later...

Africa in the Ozarks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a festival that will not be re-created anywhere in this region of the country. You owe to yourself and your family to take in part of this magnificent event.

In West Africa, dancing and drumming are catalysts for bringing people together with rich traditions of stories passed down. Through performances and workshops, Africa in the Ozarks, hosted by Afrique Aya recreates an exciting and unique four-day opportunity to experience Ivory Coast and west African style drum and dance classes, performances, arts & crafts, and foods.

Master level teachers present this rich world culture expressed through earth-based movements rooted in lyrics, expressing vibrant stories common to all people.

Not sure what you mean by your question Mith? This is put together by a man from the Ivory Coast that lives in Eureka Springs. This is what he did previously and has many contacts to work with.

This is not a thing that "Eureka" put together. Are you talking about a market survey as to what will make money or try to gauge interest by seeing if it has been done somewhere else in the southern mid-west?

Help me understand what you are asking.

*****POSTING OF ANOTHER WEBSITE FOR PERSONAL GAIN IS NOT ALLOWED!!!!!!!*******

THIS IS YOUR WARNING

MATT

Not sure what you mean by your question Mith? This is put together by a man from the Ivory Coast that lives in Eureka Springs. This is what he did previously and has many contacts to work with.

This is not a thing that "Eureka" put together. Are you talking about a market survey as to what will make money or try to gauge interest by seeing if it has been done somewhere else in the southern mid-west?

Help me understand what you are asking.

I was just curious how most events are put together. How does Eureka decide what to bring in?

I was just curious how most events are put together. How does Eureka decide what to bring in?

Eureka does not decide. Eureka Springs is a diverse creative cultural community. It thrives on it's diversity and creativity. You the individual gets to decide on what you want to try. Last year the Jazz Mafia played in the Auditorium just because they wanted to, not because Eureka decided they needed them or even wanted them to.

I decided that I wanted to bring in Irish and Scottish music (Celtic) so I started bringing in bands from Ireland. This year in January we will have a four day event celebrating our Celtic connections. In fact it will be called Celtic Connections Eureka. Last year it was a two day event. Eureka did not sanction this nor does it give us city money to have it. This is something that means much to me and my heritage. That is what determines what is done in Eureka Springs. All of the festivals, even the one's the city has taken over, were started by someone who loved something and was willing to put time and money into the developement.

If there are not enough people that support it by attendence or sponsorship they die. Capitalism at it's finest, wouldn't you say?

Thanks for asking this question. It has made me think about this and focus my thoughts about what does go on in Eureka.

There is another question that I think you have and I will be anticipating it.

Thanks,

Steve

Matt

PaperMoon Attractions is a non-profit corporation charted in the state of Arkansas. Please take the time to contact me personally if this is a problem. 479-363-0363

Matt

PaperMoon Attractions is a non-profit corporation charted in the state of Arkansas. Please take the time to contact me personally if this is a problem. 479-363-0363

It is still a form of advertising, regardless if it's for profit or not. The rules clearly state this.

What is that supposed to mean Mith? Does the city council decide in Fayettville what is put on at the Walton Arts Center. What about at Scarpinos. Did the city decide to do the Bikers Blues and Barbeque?

Steve

Thanks for answering me privately Matt. Are you always obnoxios or is this where you get your kicks?

What is that supposed to mean Mith? Does the city council decide in Fayettville what is put on at the Walton Arts Center. What about at Scarpinos. Did the city decide to do the Bikers Blues and Barbeque?

As far as smaller events, no. But in larger events like the BBB I do think there was more people involved with getting something like that started. I guess I just thought a place like Eureka which really relies on tourism might have some sort of group or something to help set up some of these events.

As far as Matt, he's just following the rules set up by Urban Planet. It's certainly a part of the job as moderator that I don't envy. UP is rather particular on the rules. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is. It does tend to fix problems that other forums tend to have.

Interesting thought. So how many events would this group set up and how much money do you think should be spent on each one of them and how would they decide what to do?

P.S.

Let Matt speak for himself, or we can determine he is the later of the two.

Steve

Thanks for answering me privately Matt. Are you always obnoxios or is this where you get your kicks?

Steve there's no reason to get upset. Noone here is saying anything negative about Eureka Springs or the many businesses and organizations that make Eureka Springs a great attraction in of itself. All that I know of Eureka Springs, other than it's a wonderful town, is that the Eureka Springs Advertising and Promotion Commission, composed of several business operators, receives a 2% Gross Receipts Tax to be used for advertising and promoting the City of Eureka Springs. A couple of the A&P members operate The Auditorium in Eureka Springs. Beyond that I know nothing other than what I've already said. Your presence on this forum is much needed so that we can all learn more about Eureka Springs, which is an integral part of Northwest Arkansas.

My favorite NWA website is still www.EurekaSprings.com, owned by the Eureka Springs Tourist Center, which I believe is operated by the city. It's not only a beautiful website, but it's very easy to maneuver around and is always updated.

Steve

Well considering there was a problem the first time I tried to send you a PM, I had no choice but to post it pubically.

And no, I don't get any kicks out of this, it's my job to make sure the rules are followed at Urban Planet.

Let's all just get along. Too many people take things too personally on this forum when someone exposes a sensitive issue like a city's "eyesores" or someone unintentionally threatens someones ego.

Another thing is that Matt is the Mod for this Forum and he's just doing his job. No one should ever publicly insult the Mod, especially when it's about forum rules. Sometimes Mods can be obnoxious or "get their kicks" but Matt has never been guilty of either.

Archived