That was then, this is now (Lou Holtz vs. the Chicago kid)

Anyone here remember when Coach Lou Holtz once said back in the 70s/early 80s before so much happened, "Fayetteville isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from there"?

Did anyone see the article on a high scoring (30-40 ppg) Chicagoland recruit who visited the U of A last month? He said his choice was down between Arkansas and Michigan, but that he'd expected to see just (paraphrasing) cows and pastures in the U of A area. Instead, he said he found that it's "a lot like Chicago."

My, my...what a difference a couple of decades make. (And I still get a kick out of Holtz even though it's retirement time for him.)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone here remember when Coach Lou Holtz once said back in the 70s/early 80s before so much happened, "Fayetteville isn't the end of the world, but you can see it from there"?

Did anyone see the article on a high scoring (30-40 ppg) Chicagoland recruit who visited the U of A last month? He said his choice was down between Arkansas and Michigan, but that he'd expected to see just (paraphrasing) cows and pastures in the U of A area. Instead, he said he found that it's "a lot like Chicago."

My, my...what a difference a couple of decades make. (And I still get a kick out of Holtz even though it's retirement time for him.)

That quote and Eddie Sutton's "I would crawl to Lexington" are two of the biggest downers in UA history. I wasn't really old enough to remember either quote but both always hoarked me. Both of those guys can ---expletive--- my ---expletive--- as far as I'm concerned. Lou finished in Columbia, SC and Eddie in Stillwater, OK, so I guess they weren't exactly on with those comments.

:lol: No actually I haven't heard Holtz saying that. I was a little surprised that the basketball recruit (I can't think of his name right now) said that though. It's certainly not cow pastures but it certainly doesn't seem like a big city either. At least not yet.

:lol: No actually I haven't heard Holtz saying that. I was a little surprised that the basketball recruit (I can't think of his name right now) said that though. It's certainly not cow pastures but it certainly doesn't seem like a big city either. At least not yet.

Aporkalypse,

That quote (and Sutton's, which I remember as they each departed within a year or two of the other) reminds me of an old show business adage I once heard: "Be very nice to people on your way up, because you never know who you'll meet on your way down."

Mith,

The Chicago kid indeed said it. Michigan Boulevard Dickson St. (or Emma, Walnut or Walton) ain't, but the suburbs, well, NWA does remind me of the suburbs of both Atlanta and D/FW...

I grew up in San Diego, and I do not feel like this is like home. Well, except occasionaly the traffic. I loved living in Tulsa because it had the small town feel I grew to love here in AR, yet the big city feel of S.D.

I am stuck in Tulsa most of the week now, and I miss being back in Fayetteville the rest. It is not fun commuting 4 times per week. (the price you pay when your wife starts med school).

Anyway, that quote has always made me mad until recently. The more I think about it, the more I know how much we have changed here. Lou needs to pay another visit to Fayetteville and the entire metro. I think that he would be shocked! I still like Eddie although, even though I graduated from OU, Sutton is one hell of a coach.

I am stuck in Tulsa most of the week now, and I miss being back in Fayetteville the rest. It is not fun commuting 4 times per week. (the price you pay when your wife starts med school).

Anyway, that quote has always made me mad until recently. The more I think about it, the more I know how much we have changed here. Lou needs to pay another visit to Fayetteville and the entire metro. I think that he would be shocked! I still like Eddie although, even though I graduated from OU, Sutton is one hell of a coach.

The same goes for a bunch of people from Texas who haven't been to NWA since the old Southwest Conference days.

Probably as far as conveniences go, and the simple fact that, if there's a national retailer out there, NWA most likely has it. No, I don't believe you have a Sak's or a Macy's, but you have just about everything else up there from what my friends in that area have told me.

Would I liken it to Chicago? Not inner city Chicago, but probably the more built-up areas of suburban Chicago.

Probably as far as conveniences go, and the simple fact that, if there's a national retailer out there, NWA most likely has it. No, I don't believe you have a Sak's or a Macy's, but you have just about everything else up there from what my friends in that area have told me.

Would I liken it to Chicago? Not inner city Chicago, but probably the more built-up areas of suburban Chicago.

Ha Ha Ha... Are you serious? NWA is still one of the most underserved retail markets in the US. Why do you think all of a sudden we're getting all these retail developments and national chains? Even when they're completed NWA will still have a ways to go to catch up with similar metros. We never had much of a selection of restaurants to choose from either until very recently. NWA also has very little tourism and people MUST travel to Tulsa, Springfield, Little Rock, Hot Springs to enjoy much of what the big cities have to offer. NWA's biggest draw is the Walton Arts Center and it's only as good as Arts Centers in any of those bigger metros. NWA doesn't even have professional sports or an amusement park.

NWA is and will most likely always be a small-sized metro served by surrounding larger metros.

• 2 months later...

Interesting article from Columbia, SC's newspaper The State about the quality of Arkansas athletic facilities.

Hog heaven

With the help of Arkansas-based donors such as WalMart and Tyson Foods, Razorbacks AD Frank Broyles has erected a facilities empire that is the envy of conference peers

By JOSEPH PERSON

[email protected]

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark.

That's a great article, thanks for posting that. I knew South Carolina was getting a new baseball stadium and I had heard that they had looked at Baum to get some ideas. Still interesting to see some views outside our state.

That's a great article, thanks for posting that. I knew South Carolina was getting a new baseball stadium and I had heard that they had looked at Baum to get some ideas. Still interesting to see some views outside our state.

Their basketball arena was nearly a carbon copy of Bud Walton, though it is a bit smaller. They're amidst a major facilities upgrade and it's a huge compliment that UA is their model to do it.

Their basketball arena was nearly a carbon copy of Bud Walton, though it is a bit smaller. They're amidst a major facilities upgrade and it's a huge compliment that UA is their model to do it.

I didn't know that about their basketball arena. I guess it's an interesting tie between us. We did both enter the SEC at the same time.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived