Oh Lord Buy Me a Mercedes Benz

monsoon

Given the number of grocery store fans that come to this section I thought this might be an interesting topic.

In our culture of endless mass consumerism, I laughed when I heard a recent dance song made from Janice Joplin's Mercedes Benz song which some took as a protest against consumerism. She did this tune shortly before ODing on heroin in the early 70's so who knows. :huh:

Anyway the Dialing for Dollars reference reminded me that all of the promotions that the grocery stores used to do are gone. Dialing for dollars specifically was where you got a card from the local grocery sponsoring the promotion, put your name and number on it, and them mailed it in where it ended up at the local TV station. They would have the dialing for dollars movie where the name of the grocery was prominately displayed. The trick was they would pull your card from a barrel and you had so many minutes to dial in for your money.

Some stores had more specific promotions like the Winn Dixie "Lets go to the Races" where you got a card at the store that looked like a card where you bet on the horse races. You would then watch the show on TV to see if your horse won. Piggly Wiggly did the same thing with dogs, or maybe it was the other way around. haha.

Later Food Lion (when it was Food Town) did its LFPINC jingle. (Lowest Food Prices In North Carolina) and Ralph Kepner himself would come on TV and advise the people that if they bought food anywhere else they would pay too much. Later in the 80s, they did a pretty good rap song video for Food Lion.

And there were others, does anyone remember others? My question is what happened? Advertizing is all so generic now.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jordan must have been told to picture everyone in their tighty-whities in order to feel comfortable.

You guys need to get TiVo or a DVR and watch shows on a 10 minute delay to skip through the commercials. I only watch commercials if they are interesting enough to stop and watch them :).

You guys need to get TiVo or a DVR and watch shows on a 10 minute delay to skip through the commercials. I only watch commercials if they are interesting enough to stop and watch them :).

TiVo is great, we've got it at home... unfortunately I can't have one here in the dorms :(

Some stores had more specific promotions like the Winn Dixie "Lets go to the Races" where you got a card at the store that looked like a card where you bet on the horse races. You would then watch the show on TV to see if your horse won. Piggly Wiggly did the same thing with dogs, or maybe it was the other way around. haha.

I remember that promotion. I think Piggly Wiggly had the horses. At least that's the way I remember it. There was a different color card each week? I remember the purple ones. It was my favorite color as a child.

Not sure what happened to those campaigns, but I will be interested to see what happens with HT's "Write Our Jingle" campaign. You're right. Local commercials and campaigns have become very stale over the years.

Here in Virginia, Kroger used to run a commercial for their dairy department featuring thse animated cows that bore a striking resemblence to The Pointer Sisters.

I can still hear that jingle in my head sometimes: "Moooooo-ve on over to Kroger Dairy Products"

Archived