Broadway, Pawtucket

Broadway, in my humble opinion, should be the Wickenden street of Pawtucket. It should be a main street with shops, restaurants, cafes and even nightlife with KC's having the occasional show and all.

Instead we have dollar stores, crappy "barber shops", run down convenience stores (where the only "convenience" is buying a lotto or scratch ticket), liquor stores, storefront churches, I'm not sure if Luke's has closed its doors but there is a for sale sign on the building and now thanks to our vigilant local councilmen we have a pawn shop moving in next to the Cumberland Farms. Like this area didn't have enough problems.

What do you forsee in the future for Broadway? What would you like to see? What is realistic?

broadway%202.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, Broadway south of where Rte 15 crosses 95 is done for. It's way too wide and way too service-road like and way too strip mallish. North of here though is where we have tons of potential. I gotta run but I'll post some of my thoughts later.

Unfortunately, Broadway south of where Rte 15 crosses 95 is done for. It's way too wide and way too service-road like and way too strip mallish. North of here though is where we have tons of potential. I gotta run but I'll post some of my thoughts later.

I actually disagree with Recchia on this one. I think the Pawtucket reviatalization should eminate from the center of town and therefore this lower section of Broadway should be the first part. You can only develop one side of the street because of the highway, obviously, and maybe that isn't ideal. Regardless, if you build out from between downtown and to the lot where the farmer's market will be, I think there is plenty of potential for a little urban village. You can also get some improvement out of the block bounded by Rt. 114 Broadway and the river. since there is significant $$ going into the mill complex there and you have the GAMM theatre, it would be a good spot for some little restaurants and shops.

North of 95 I really feel is much more suburban. I don't think it can be a Wickenden unless the population really increases.

Broadway, in my humble opinion, should be the Wickenden street of Pawtucket. It should be a main street with shops, restaurants, cafes and even nightlife with KC's having the occasional show and all.

Instead we have dollar stores, crappy "barber shops", run down convenience stores (where the only "convenience" is buying a lotto or scratch ticket), liquor stores, storefront churches, I'm not sure if Luke's has closed its doors but there is a for sale sign on the building and now thanks to our vigilant local councilmen we have a pawn shop moving in next to the Cumberland Farms. Like this area didn't have enough problems.

What do you forsee in the future for Broadway? What would you like to see? What is realistic?

broadway%202.jpg

I am curious as to why you used quotations around "barber shop" do they not cut hair in these establishments? Are you picking on them because they are ethnic barber shops? I just don't get it. If there are barbers in the shop who cut hair than it's a barber shop. Not a "barber shop".

I am curious as to why you used quotations around "barber shop" do they not cut hair in these establishments? Are you picking on them because they are ethnic barber shops? I just don't get it. If there are barbers in the shop who cut hair than it's a barber shop. Not a "barber shop".

I'm only trying to illustrate that there are 3 barber shops within a 5 block area. I walk by these places all the time and I don't see alot of activity except for hanging out ala Ice Cube's "barber shop". thats all I meant by the quotes. Ethnicity plays no part in my comment. Have you been to the area HartfordTycoon?

They could deck 95 in the area of Cottage & Exchange St and create a park, it would make that area seem a little more livable. They could also add a deck in between Fountain St & Route 1 with another park.

Ive been thinking about this for a little, and I think that first we need to revamp Main St, it being the old retail core of the city, and the one with the most adequate store-frontage potential. Plus, it's already happening (Poamlands and Madhouse). Then we need to put some retail/residential next to Apex in the parking lot and that big dirtpile. Once this is established then we can move on to Broadway and Central.

I don't know if Broadway could make it as a retail or funky street destination. What about an ethnic destination? Why not make it (or maybe Central) into the Federal Hill for the Portuguese culture? Central already has Brazilian hair salons and a Portuguese bakery (not sure about Broadway). Pawtucket has a high Azorean/Cape Verdean/Brazilian population so this might work well. Not that you can just "make" an area into an ethnic street, but still, you get my point.

Oh, and one more thing, I'm thinking I'd rather see more of a Thayer St. setting for the Bucket than a Wickenden one. A nice mix of funky "hippy" shops and more modern Urban Outfitters/Kartabar type places. Oh and a local grocery store so I don't have to shop at overpriced Stop and Shop.

I'm only trying to illustrate that there are 3 barber shops within a 5 block area. I walk by these places all the time and I don't see alot of activity except for hanging out ala Ice Cube's "barber shop". thats all I meant by the quotes. Ethnicity plays no part in my comment. Have you been to the area HartfordTycoon?

No, I can't say that I have. I would like to visit though since I love to see new places. I do most likely go to a barber shop in Hartford that would be on you lists of "barber shops" and that's why I asked. Those are small business, I'm sure they would like to have a packed house at all times too. They opened in an area the operator could afford and have done what they can do with the resources they have, most likely. It did seem like you were somehow belittling them as businesses because they are not where you get your haircut from.

Ive been thinking about this for a little, and I think that first we need to revamp Main St, it being the old retail core of the city, and the one with the most adequate store-frontage potential. Plus, it's already happening (Poamlands and Madhouse). Then we need to put some retail/residential next to Apex in the parking lot and that big dirtpile. Once this is established then we can move on to Broadway and Central.

I don't know if Broadway could make it as a retail or funky street destination. What about an ethnic destination? Why not make it (or maybe Central) into the Federal Hill for the Portuguese culture? Central already has Brazilian hair salons and a Portuguese bakery (not sure about Broadway). Pawtucket has a high Azorean/Cape Verdean/Brazilian population so this might work well. Not that you can just "make" an area into an ethnic street, but still, you get my point.

Oh, and one more thing, I'm thinking I'd rather see more of a Thayer St. setting for the Bucket than a Wickenden one. A nice mix of funky "hippy" shops and more modern Urban Outfitters/Kartabar type places. Oh and a local grocery store so I don't have to shop at overpriced Stop and Shop.

Now that's a good idea. Give the existing businesses a boost, do some streetscape improvements, and let it be what it is. Hartford is marketing our Park Street as "New England's Hispanic Main St." Maybe something like that.

No, I can't say that I have. I would like to visit though since I love to see new places. I do most likely go to a barber shop in Hartford that would be on you lists of "barber shops" and that's why I asked. Those are small business, I'm sure they would like to have a packed house at all times too. They opened in an area the operator could afford and have done what they can do with the resources they have, most likely. It did seem like you were somehow belittling them as businesses because they are not where you get your haircut from.

Now that's a good idea. Give the existing businesses a boost, do some streetscape improvements, and let it be what it is. Hartford is marketing our Park Street as "New England's Hispanic Main St." Maybe something like that.

I'm sure that 2 of the 3 "barber shops" that are operating in this area will be gone once things start to change over here. I live right next to the street and I hear from longtime residents questioning the validity of these "barber shops". I think one of the three is actually doing any business, the one right next to the now defunct Lukes. The one I got a haircut from when they first moved in (nice assumption on your part though). I'm just calling it like I see it and I see it everyday so maybe you should visit the area before you start accusing me of something. and by the way, I was born in Hartford's north end and have plenty of family still living there. I like what is happening to the city.

This would be really great.

I'm sure that 2 of the 3 "barber shops" that are operating in this area will be gone once things start to change over here. I live right next to the street and I hear from longtime residents questioning the validity of these "barber shops". I think one of the three is actually doing any business, the one right next to the now defunct Lukes. The one I got a haircut from when they first moved in (nice assumption on your part though). I'm just calling it like I see it and I see it everyday so maybe you should visit the area before you start accusing me of something. and by the way, I was born in Hartford's north end and have plenty of family still living there. I like what is happening to the city.

This would be really great.

I did not mean to make assumptions. I get annoyed with what I percieve to be elitist rhetoric on this board sometimes though.

Interesting that you're from Hartford. When is the last time you visited?

Well, I can empathize with bloodyrocker on this one. :blush:

I drive down Armington and turn right onto Academy Ave when I'm heading downtown and every day there are a few guys hanging out in front of JD's Cuts on Academy staring people down in front of the entrance. I've also seen that shop "open" at 1:15am on a couple weekdays. On one particular trip to Shaw's, I witnessed a drug sale there - the customer was screaming "that's some fuc&in bullsh!t for 20 yo" to his supplier as I chuckled and waited for traffic to clear so I could turn right and head up towards Atwells.

So - barber shops are barber shops. But then there are "barber shops."

There are plenty of times @ 1am that I look in the mirror and say "man do I need a haircut!". Good to know that in Pawtucket I can be accomodated. :rofl:

Well, actually the "barber shop" I'm talking about, JD's Cuts, is right here in Providence (maybe I should add it to the "Haircut in Providence" thread :D ) but I'm sure there are similar establishments in the Bucket.

Recchia's right, as well. There was a big coke trafficking bust at a "barber shop" in Central Falls, maybe 6-9 months ago.

Hey Recchia, maybe they serve coffee and donuts on club nights! :rofl:

Well, actually the "barber shop" I'm talking about, JD's Cuts, is right here in Providence (maybe I should add it to the "Haircut in Providence" thread :D ) but I'm sure there are similar establishments in the Bucket.

Recchia's right, as well. There was a big coke trafficking bust at a "barber shop" in Central Falls, maybe 6-9 months ago.

Hey Recchia, maybe they serve coffee and donuts on club nights! :rofl:

That's all well and good. Make assumptions and observe 1 transaction. No one said that everything is on the up and up and every barber shop in New England or the rest of the world. I just wanted to point out that if they give haircuts in the place and the owner pays his bills and has a license to conduct business, then it is a Barber Shop. I'm not defending any illegal activities or anything else. The shop I go to has a wide range of clientile from cops to 9-5ers to kids to thugs(even a few white guys.) I know you would look at it in the same vein. These are the only types of barber shops I've ever been too. I wouldn't even know where else to go. I'm glad to learn that they are not legitimate enough businesses for everyone's tastes. :sick:

I'm glad to learn that they are not legitimate enough businesses for everyone's tastes. :sick:

If they serve mostly as a front for illegal activity, no they are not legitimate and should be shut down. No one is saying the place you get your hair cut is a drug front, chill out.

If they serve mostly as a front for illegal activity, no they are not legitimate and should be shut down. No one is saying the place you get your hair cut is a drug front, chill out.

OK, point taken. But this is what I was talking about. People are assuming the very worst about these shops due to a few anecdotal encounters. WHY? Ignorance is my answer. But everyone is entitled to be ignorant.

But everyone is entitled to be ignorant.

Well if you feel comfortable leaping to the assumption that people you've never met, who live in a city you've never been to are ignorant and racist, then that is your choice. You're entitled to it.

OK, point taken. But this is what I was talking about. People are assuming the very worst about these shops due to a few anecdotal encounters. WHY? Ignorance is my answer. But everyone is entitled to be ignorant.

Hey man, all I'm sayin is that barber shops (along with many other cash businesses) are good fronts for drug dealing. Any cash business (bar, strip club, etc.) is a good front for any illegal activity (drugs, prostitution, etc). And I'm not sayin it's only one ethnicity/race/gender/hair color/eye color/foot size that does this, it's anyone who wants to cover up their illegal profits.

I'll add, I refuse to get my hair cut anywhere but at a local barbershop, they always do the best job and beat those mall places or supercuts or fantastic sams places anyday.

Hey man, all I'm sayin is that barber shops (along with many other cash businesses) are good fronts for drug dealing. Any cash business (bar, strip club, etc.) is a good front for any illegal activity (drugs, prostitution, etc). And I'm not sayin it's only one ethnicity/race/gender/hair color/eye color/foot size that does this, it's anyone who wants to cover up their illegal profits.

I'll add, I refuse to get my hair cut anywhere but at a local barbershop, they always do the best job and beat those mall places or supercuts or fantastic sams places anyday.

Don't take this the wrong way and not to sound ignorant, but I'm not even sure if Supercuts or similar places even (know how to, I'm sure they would take the money and try) cut black peoples' hair. It's really not that big of a deal. It just seems like you guys are being a little bit more dismissive of some local businesses because you are not among the typical clientele. If they close all of those barber shops I'm sure that there are people who would be negatively affected by having to find a new barber shop and barber. That's my only point. Really. That's really it. To hear you guys tell it these shops never have any customers or barbers working and it's all just a big front. Well if it's only a front and that's what you really think, just call the cops.

So...Even though Dan saw a drug deal go down in that particular "barber shop" he is supposed to feel comfortable about having that shop in his neighborhood because he is not among the shops typical clientele?

Your argument has alot of holes in it Tycoon. There are barber shops and then there are "barber shops" and it does not matter what ethnicity they serve or how skilled they are at cutting a certain type of hair.

Personally? I'm going to talk to some people that I know at city hall about zoning regulations around here. I'm going to talk to the local councilmen that represent this area and have been letting this street slide into blight. I'm talking about pawn shops, liquor stores, check cashing joints, and yes... "barber shops" on every friggen corner.

ok.. the "barber shop" discussion is now a dead issue. lets move on...back to the potential future of Broadway.

North of 95 I really feel is much more suburban. I don't think it can be a Wickenden unless the population really increases.

I was wondering yesterday, what is the population of Pawtucket doing in terms of growth? Is it growing, and if so at what rate, or is it static, or shrinking?

According to Statewide Planning, it's supposed to see minimal increases through 2030.

2000 72,958

2005 73,203

2010 73,407

2020 74,053

2030 74,557

It grew marginally from 1990 as well.

With the new mill developments downtown as well as a lot of other new home construction (mostly infill) I've seen around Darlington alone, I'd say these projections will hold. Hopefully new construction will be URBAN in form, unlike some of the crap commercial development I've seen lately (need I say it again, Tim Hortons @Newport/Central and Stop & Shop @George Bennet/Cottage).

To be fair to HartfordTycoon,

I'd be a little sensitive to things considering a lot of the stuff flying elsewhere on the Providence boards. I don't think anyone meant anything really about the "barber shops," but I can understand it striking a nerve.

Archived