Broadway, Pawtucket

Hi guys,

Bloodyrocker, is that image from the Broadway streetscape master plan that the town had done a few years ago? It looks like it.

The city planning dept. actually has a master plan to redo the sidewalks and street trees, trash bins, lighting, etc. all along Broadway. Of course the issue is, are the businesses there to support these kinds of improvements, and how do we make these improvements and attract the stuff we want at the same time? I think it all needs to sort of gel together, but it would be nice if the city would make some efforts to attract the businesses we want and make aesthetic improvements all over the city and not just certain areas.

I think it's interesting that someone brought up Central. When the landscape architect did his presentation to the town and the neighborhood, he suggested beginning the Broadway streetscape rehab project at Central and Broadway. Meaning, just do that one piece for starters and move on as funds become more available. It's a good idea, the building that Gees liquors and Krysias alterations is a beautiful old building and with some improvements to facade and landscaping at the carwash and Lukes building, the effect could be substantial and may start to attract some better stuff further up Broadway. And next to that, Cooper Tire, another nice building with an attractive sort of "old school" paint job, I like it. Lot's of potential on Broadway and theres some good stuff there that we should preserve and protect.

I also disagree with the person who wrote about the southern end of Broadway being a lost cause. With our farmers market going in there, that will be an improvement and also, has anyone ever taken a close look at the Division Brakes building and the one that the uniform place is in? The architecture on those buildings is really nice, you just don't notice them right away. Even the building with Dangelos and the tux place is actually pretty attractive when you look at the detail, so someone thought enough of the area to put in relatively new construction with some standard for historical character and attractiveness. (except crowne collision of course!)

As Downtown continues to flourish, we all hope that over time it will spiral out, but Broadway is FULL of potential for becoming a fabulous multi-cultural mecca for ethnic restaurants and bakeries, coffee shops, small businesses and all kinds of other good stuff we find on federal hill and thayer. And believe it or not, I think the population is already there to support it. We just need to see it start happening before we get another pawnshop or dollarstore!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Statewide Planning, it's supposed to see minimal increases through 2030.

2000 72,958

2005 73,203

2010 73,407

2020 74,053

2030 74,557

It grew marginally from 1990 as well.

With the new mill developments downtown as well as a lot of other new home construction (mostly infill) I've seen around Darlington alone, I'd say these projections will hold. Hopefully new construction will be URBAN in form, unlike some of the crap commercial development I've seen lately (need I say it again, Tim Hortons @Newport/Central and Stop & Shop @George Bennet/Cottage).

Tim Hortons is just the old Bess Eaton store isn't it? That structure has been there in its present form for a long time. Is there something new there?

Tim Hortons is just the old Bess Eaton store isn't it? That structure has been there in its present form for a long time. Is there something new there?

No, they knocked down the Bess Eaton building and then rebuilt a new building. Perfect opportunity to build something nice, but instead, no, we get a setback drive thru building and parking lot...

it would be nice if the city would make some efforts to attract the businesses we want

Everybody has to get over this idea that our current city administration is capable of doing ANYTHING helpful. What you see when you walk out your door...this is the results of their best efforts. (City's best effort at a website, as an example.)

If you want a business to open and change your neighborhood, open it yourself or get one of your friends to do it. Don't wait for the city.

WE...ARE...ON...OUR...OWN!

Everybody has to get over this idea that our current city administration is capable of doing ANYTHING helpful. What you see when you walk out your door...this is the results of their best efforts. (City's best effort at a website, as an example.)

If you want a business to open and change your neighborhood, open it yourself or get one of your friends to do it. Don't wait for the city.

WE...ARE...ON...OUR...OWN!

I totally respect your opinion Speck and I read your blog every week to catch up on whats going on but I gotta say that this type of attitude doesn't help the situation.

ok, I get it that you have lived in Pawtucket for a very long time and things have been hard here but I think that if we get enough people interested and motivated to change then city hall WILL follow suit. We don't need to discourage people from trying to change things up at city hall do we? I know I sound optimistic but you never know.. look at what we've been able to do with the Farmers Market.. The city helped us out with that?

• 1 month later...

I feel you, man. I'm a pissed-off old punk with the patience of a 4 year old. But, as they say, we all fall short.

We could have used additional 'new Bucket' energy at the Mayor's meeting. There were two main groups at the meeting: 60+ Traditional Pawtucket and 40- Professionals/Activists. And 60+ was winning.

Your Assoc's representative advocated strongly for the streetscape, but she didn't have any backup. My bad for not getting an announcement it on the blog.

Anyways, point well taken.

• 1 month later...

I'm only trying to illustrate that there are 3 barber shops within a 5 block area. I walk by these places all the time and I don't see alot of activity except for hanging out ala Ice Cube's "barber shop". thats all I meant by the quotes. Ethnicity plays no part in my comment. Have you been to the area HartfordTycoon?

I get my haircut next to Lukes and those otha two barber shops(no quotations). Its kind of jumping to conclusions to say those places are just fronts for illegal activity. I have tons of friends who work, or get haircuts there. None of them are into that. Let me give you an example of what I mean. I see drug sales in front of Dunkin Donuts on that street. So let me guess it must be a "coffee shop" right? Ridiculous. I might be taking this harder than any1 else on this board, cause I have been a long time reader, but this made me register and start posting. All Im saying is drug sales or any kind of illegal activity can be found anywhere in the Prov,Pawtucket,EP,CF area at any type of establishment. So to just target the barbershops is a little unfair.

As for people hanging around outside chillin, and staring at people. That is unfortunately how all of Rhode Island's youth is. Im 21, I still consider myself part of the youth. I've been down south, to VA, SC, FL. And people out there dont have staring contests out there. Matter of fact they are actually all friendly. Back to the point. People chill outside and hang around because they have friends who work there, or are waiting to get their cuts. We discuss anything from sports, to music, etc. In supercuts and other big name places, they get you in, cut your hair, and send you on your way. Showing no interest in you as a person instead of a customer. As for places on broadway they strike up convo and next thing you know it took an hour and a half to just get a fade and a line up.(hope I dont have to elaborate on that, lol). I dont know, im not trying to come off rude, but just saying that I think its unfair to judge a book by its cover. And until the "shops" are gone I will continue to get my fresh cuts there. And would advise any1 on this board to go there and see for themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course drug deals happen anywhere, nobody is disputing that. I've seen drug deals going down outside Stop and Shop a few times. The only point I was ever trying to make in this thread was that cash businesses, whatever kind they may be (restaurants, barbers, etc.) are easy to launder money through, that's it. Same reason why mob figures in their prime used to own restaurants, bars or strip clubs.

P.S. Jose's on Central does a really good lineup :thumbsup: I'd go back but I finally bought a pair of clippers and am just gonna cut it myself now.

someone told me i ought to just buy a pair of clippers too. I've been trimming the sideburns with my norelco shaver for years, who knew I could save $15 every few weeks. :D

I thought the barber shop thing was dead as could be. I was super heated at one time about it (as far as the black/brown/white references being used to justify illegal fronts through what I thought seemed to be some unsavory ethnic bias). I even PM'ed Cotuit about it, I was so pissed at that time!

This was a one time poster stirring the :whistling: .

No more of this barber shops crap please!

someone told me i ought to just buy a pair of clippers too. I've been trimming the sideburns with my norelco shaver for years, who knew I could save $15 every few weeks. :D

I thought the barber shop thing was dead as could be. I was super heated at one time about it (as far as the black/brown/white references being used to justify illegal fronts through what I thought seemed to be some unsavory ethnic bias). I even PM'ed Cotuit about it, I was so pissed at that time!

I hope your not referring to me? I agree its a dead issue. :wacko:

I know that the State Line Pharmacy is up for sale, I got an email from the neighborhood association about it a few weeks ago. I don't know what the plans are for it though?

I heard that the building with storefronts across the street from the pharmacy parking lot got sold and is being taken down. anyone hear anything about this?

• 3 weeks later...

Not a 1 time poster. I just dont reply unless i see something worth replying to. Im not even sure if you're worth replying to, but F* it, i just did

• 2 weeks later...

Of course drug deals happen anywhere, nobody is disputing that. I've seen drug deals going down outside Stop and Shop a few times. The only point I was ever trying to make in this thread was that cash businesses, whatever kind they may be (restaurants, barbers, etc.) are easy to launder money through, that's it. Same reason why mob figures in their prime used to own restaurants, bars or strip clubs.

P.S. Jose's on Central does a really good lineup :thumbsup: I'd go back but I finally bought a pair of clippers and am just gonna cut it myself now.

Heh... I went out to buy a pair of sneakers the other day, and ended up at a place on Branch Ave... "Expressions" or something like that. Picked out a pair I liked, took it to the register. "$50.00," the clerk told me. I reached for a credit card. "Oh -- this is a cash-only store," he told me. No worries, I paid cash. But I couldn't help wondering... what kind of retail store doesn't take credit cards, these days? :ph34r:

Urb

Heh... I went out to buy a pair of sneakers the other day, and ended up at a place on Branch Ave... "Expressions" or something like that. Picked out a pair I liked, took it to the register. "$50.00," the clerk told me. I reached for a credit card. "Oh -- this is a cash-only store," he told me. No worries, I paid cash. But I couldn't help wondering... what kind of retail store doesn't take credit cards, these days? :ph34r:

Urb

Ones that dont want to waste money paying credit card companies to be able to accept them.

• 7 months later...

bumping this thread for 2007 my UP peeps!

so.. whats happened on Broadway since we last posted? not a whole hell of alot..

- Luke's looks to be out of business or on severely cut back hours.

- the barber shop next to Luke's went out of business.

- The mini mart (we call it the hostile mart around here) on the corner of Broadway and central is still there.

- Family Dollar is still in business (that place suuuux).

- the new pawnshop seems to be surviving.

- KC's Tap is still alive and kicking.

- the funeral home across from Prime auto is now lawyer offices.. landscaping looks good.

- Broadway pizza is still open.

- Matos Bakery is still going.

- The Farmers Market ran last season across from D'angelos and I assume it will open again this season?

I still think that this area has tons of potential...

Archived