North Hills Raleigh vs. Midtown Charlotte

Tayfromcarolina

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our good friend "Raleigh-NC" over at the other site was saying last week that we should consider the North Hills all the way to Crabtree as one Mid-Town. It actually make a lot of sense. With that in mind we are talking about much more development.

There are a lot of similarities between the two... both former mall redevelopments... both include proposed highrises... both have Target stores... mixed use etc...

I agree...I think Soleil I & II would be really cool in the North Hills location so it would have greater exposure from the inner loop

Our good friend "Raleigh-NC" over at the other site was saying last week that we should consider the North Hills all the way to Crabtree as one Mid-Town. It actually make a lot of sense. With that in mind we are talking about much more development.

I think the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce has already branded Midtown as the area north of Wade avenue and south of Millbrook, from Capital blvd west to Glenwood... pretty much includes North Hills and Crabtree (and where I live!). This area should be bumping for the next oh twenty years...

A big difference is that Midtown in Charlotte is really close to the center of town. North Hills isn't too far, at three-ish miles, but it's not a readily walkable distance. Midtown is a reasonable walk from a good chunk of the land inside 277.

I'm not a fan of rebranding an area of a city. Charlotte has had a "midtown" since my stepdad was a kid back in the 40s and 50s. Raleigh has never had anything like that before--at least nothing that has stuck around.

Renaming an area to something like "midtown" seems sort of cheesy in my opinion. I don't think such a name will adhere--and if it ever does, it probably won't be in the near term. I guess the name really doesn't matter one way or another though.

Taken literally, I suppose the name "midtown" is appropriate for the section of Raleigh in question. But I believe the areas that "midtown" refers to will continue to be called their traditional names--the identities are engrained in every Raleighite. I suspect that at best, this new name will cause confusion if it is overused.

Where is Raleigh's midtown? Is it near North Hills?

People are now saying that, yes. I even heard the 42-story Soliel Center at Crabtree is being branded "Midtown" too. It's all just marketing to me. I guess there is some relevance to it, considering these are semi-urban infill developments in what is nearly the middle of the city (since sprawl has pushed so far north!). Believe it or not, when my parents bought their home in North Hills in the late 60s it was considered way out in the sticks! I'm not even sure the original North Hills Mall was built then either.

I'm not a fan of rebranding an area of a city. Charlotte has had a "midtown" since my stepdad was a kid back in the 40s and 50s. Raleigh has never had anything like that before--at least nothing that has stuck around.

I don't know about that. I am from Charlotte and the place where "Midtown Square" is (was) used to be called Charlottetown Mall. I never remember a "midtown" growing up.

Midtown in Raleigh was discussed in an Article in the local paper not to long ago. Basically saying it was an Area about 3-5 miles out from the center of the city starting at Atlantic Blvd in the highwoods area stretching west to Crabtree Valley Mall encompassing the North Hills Area.

The name seems to be catching on. I've heard it several times in some general discussions around the office and when out on the weekends.

I don't know about that. I am from Charlotte and the place where "Midtown Square" is (was) used to be called Charlottetown Mall. I never remember a "midtown" growing up.

How much did your activities take you to that part of town? I had always assumed that the mall is what caused that area to be known as "Midtown", but I have since heard many people say their older family members referred to that area as Midtown for a very long time.

It could also be that it was a name in certain circles. Just like both "uptown" and "downtown" has been used for many generations.

The King's Drive/Independence Blvd. area back in the 70s-80s was a dead zone for the most part. People did go to the mall, and the movie theater was a big draw. Overall we usually referred to the entire area as "downtown".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considerably younger than a majority of you all (***coughcough...19yrsold***)...but I can remember going to the movie theater across the street from Midtown Square in the early '90s with my family on numerous occasions. Yea, it was a huge draw for that area. My grandmother is a longtime resident of Charlotte and I can recall her mentioning to me a "Charlottetown Mall" being the original name of Midtown Square. I'm not sure if the "midtown" moniker properly applies for that area, but my grandmother always has referred to it as Cherry.

Archived