OT: visiting bowling green

runawayjim

i'll be visiting bowling green this summer (ok, it's more for business than pleasure, but i have half a day of freedom from teh conference). any suggestions on how i should spend that half day of freedom? i've never been to the midwest other than a layover in chicago... someone already suggested i eat at big boy, which i'll probably do for dinner the night i arrive.

i'll also have about 3 hours before my flight leaves at the end of the conference where i'll be sitting in the detroit airport. anything nearby or should i just stick to the airport (if that's the case, anything neat about the airport)?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^Never personally been to Bowling Green though that region of Ohio is absoultely beautiful. Might want to try this link for some local flavor:

http://www.visitbgohio.org/

The Detroit airport is a treat (especially if you are in the Northwest Terminal) 2 story high SONY jumbo screens for news and weather, an elevated cherry red metro monorail buzzing through the terminal and the very pscyodeleic (sp) "tunnel of love" (you'll know what I'm talking about when there). Although I love Pittsburgh International and it is one of the best terminals in the world, DTW is the only airport I envy more then PIT.

^^Never personally been to Bowling Green though that region of Ohio is absoultely beautiful. Might want to try this link for some local flavor:

http://www.visitbgohio.org/

The Detroit airport is a treat (especially if you are in the Northwest Terminal) 2 story high SONY jumbo screens for news and weather, an elevated cherry red metro monorail buzzing through the terminal and the very pscyodeleic (sp) "tunnel of love" (you'll know what I'm talking about when there). Although I love Pittsburgh International and it is one of the best terminals in the world, DTW is the only airport I envy more then PIT.

saw that site. i'm looking forward to eating at a big boy. :D

maybe hanging out wandering the airport will be enough to spend those 3 hours before i fly out... sounds cool

^^aw sorry to hear about the sch. over in NE, I will say that once you get to Detroit you will be pleasantly surprised by the terminal, I don't think there is one better in the world, but I do have limited experience on that to only U.S. terminals.

BG is also is in a great part of the country, hope you enjoy that area as well.

i'll be visiting bowling green this summer (ok, it's more for business than pleasure, but i have half a day of freedom from teh conference). any suggestions on how i should spend that half day of freedom? i've never been to the midwest other than a layover in chicago... someone already suggested i eat at big boy, which i'll probably do for dinner the night i arrive.

i'll also have about 3 hours before my flight leaves at the end of the conference where i'll be sitting in the detroit airport. anything nearby or should i just stick to the airport (if that's the case, anything neat about the airport)?

I hope im not too late. If your going to be in NW Ohio you should checkout Toledo (which is on the way to Detroit I beleve). Very impressive Zoo and Art Museum you should check out. If you want true taste of the Midwest check out Tony Packo's Cafe or Cousino's Navy Bistro in downtown Toledo instead of um uh...BigBoy *holding in laughter*.

I hope im not too late. If your going to be in NW Ohio you should checkout Toledo (which is on the way to Detroit I beleve). Very impressive Zoo and Art Museum you should check out. If you want true taste of the Midwest check out Tony Packo's Cafe or Cousino's Navy Bistro in downtown Toledo instead of um uh...BigBoy *holding in laughter*.

what's wrong with big boy?

i'll do my best to check out toledo... i only have half a day free and i won't have a car (unless i miss the conference shuttle from the airport and have to rent a car).

anything in bowling green that's a good taste of the midwest?

• 2 weeks later...

what's wrong with big boy?

i'll do my best to check out toledo... i only have half a day free and i won't have a car (unless i miss the conference shuttle from the airport and have to rent a car).

anything in bowling green that's a good taste of the midwest?

Its all personal preference I guess. Personally I think Big Boy has some of the most awful burgers known to man but then again I have friends who love the place. As for Bowling Green I can't think of any original establishments but I do remember them having plenty of bars and pubs. Whenever I go I usually find myself at BW-3, they have some great wings.

Archived