Will Columbia Place Mall/Area survive?

smithc57

As time has progressed we have seen activity in this area decline at an alarming rate. Target, Kroger, Circuit City, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Office Depot, and JC Penny have all deserted the Decker/Parklane area and relocated to the booming Northeast area. We can only wonder what will be next.

Will Columbia Place Mall be overtaken by its stores running to attract business in the Sandhills development?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As time has progressed we have seen activity in this area decline at an alarming rate. Target, Kroger, Circuit City, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Office Depot, and JC Penny have all deserted the Decker/Parklane area and relocated to the booming Northeast area. We can only wonder what will be next.

Will Columbia Place Mall be overtaken by its stores running to attract business in the Sandhills development?

Actually it was Office Max that left, and lets not forget the other movie theatre that was back there in the plaza, and O'Charley's, Michael's, and now soon to be TJMaxx

Funny, I can remember when Columbia Mall was considered "the Northeast area". It was also called Dentsville, but I don't think I've heard that moniker used in a while.

Dentsville is still used as a census designated place (which is based on what the locals call it). There are also churches or schools, etc that are named Dentsville. I know that I have seen signs indicating as such. I guess it isn't as common these days.

Dentsville is still used as a census designated place (which is based on what the locals call it). There are also churches or schools, etc that are named Dentsville. I know that I have seen signs indicating as such. I guess it isn't as common these days.

x2. There's still Dent Middle School :thumbsup: I'm not sure if they still call that bus route Dentsville, though.

That area has slowly been declining, but the mall will survive. It's an urban mall with urban stores. That crowd is a booming consumer market, and don't mind spending money.

Good point. I feel that the mall may see some stores leave but not an abundant amount. Columbia Mall will not suffer even close to what Eastland Mall in Charlotte is currently experiencing. I also remember when that area used to be labeled Northeast Columbia. Richland NORTHEAST Highschool and Richland County Public Library NORTHEAST BRANCH are both located in that area. This just shows how the Columbia area is growing. The inner city population seems to be spreading out into the city limits.

I too am concerned about the fate of Columbia Place. It's location is just too golden to just go belly up, I think, but slow-motion decline is something to be vigilant against.

I will, however, give CBL tremendous credit for keeping the place relatively clean, and with beefed up security/police presence, a safer place, too. The floor tiling, signage, etc. isn't upscale, but it's in good shape, and of recent vintage. For a "midopolitan" mall (see the other thread on "Midopolitan Areas" for more discussion), it's not in bad shape.

Compare it to Springfield Mall in Northern Virginia near DC, where I used to live. It's location is fantastic (at the intersection of I-95 and the I-495 beltway), but managment has let the place run down (save for a creative re-use of a 2-story ex-Montgomery Ward as a Target) and can only be called "ghetto". My former boss actually new the manager, and he said that there was "nothing wrong" with the place. The roof leaks, the decor is outdated, certain building elements and facades are fading from 20 years of neglect. While there are some shabby/blighted areas nearby, the catchement area includes quite wealthy areas (similar to Forest Acres), so there should be little exuse for this slow-motion decay. As such, it is a mall which we avoided except for Target. Trust me, Columbia Place's parking lots are immaculate compared to its lots, which are littered with used diapers and fast food debris.

Anyways, I wish Columbia Place the best of luck. It would be a darn shame if it went the way of Eastland (Charlotte) or Carolina Circle (Greensboro).

Also, one thing to watch is how Richland Mall-sprite-Midtown at Forest Acres develops. This may affect Cola Place as the two are so close, but I would think the products offered at those two will sufficiently differentiate themselves. Midtown is promising to be a mixed-used walkable community, while Cola Place will likely continue to be a pure retail environment.

Lets take a look at the Bush River Road area. It hasn't been much activity there ever since Target, Burlington Coat Factory, and Circuit City departed. Recently Walmart annoucnced that they will be building yet another facility in that same area. This could very well attract much more business to the area. The same could be done for the Decker Blv/Columbia Place area. Where ever Wal-Mart is business is sure to be secure.

They should build a walmart in that old Target lot on Decker...I know ya'll hate Walmart but I think it would do more good than harm...The Walmart all the way down Two Notch is a good bit aways...This Walmart could serve alot of people in the Decker/Parklane area

A walmart on Decker would be over-kill. :cry: There is already one on Forest Drive, and it only takes a few minutes to get to it from Decker.

That area is filled with stores catering and being ran by a people from various cultural backgrounds. I see it more as an "International Blvd," :wub: and I would like to see it grow as that. Its could be a place where people go to purchase items from around the world, based off of the diversity of our city. Many of those dead spaces should be torn down and rebuilt to house culturally diverse retail and dining areas. :thumbsup:

Yes it may be true that Forest Drive Wal-Mart is right down the street from Decker Blvd. The Two Notch Walmart is isn't too far at all from the Killian Walmart that is to built very soon either. I think that the area is filled with rich diversity but I also feel that a Wal-Mart would be sufficient for the survival for the area. Toy R Us has already fled and we can only wonder when Best Buy will depart.

Yeah. I think a Super-Target would be great..I know the Woodhill mall area really has taken off since they tore down the old mall and put all those shops there...Woodhill Mall reminds me of Decker Mall..Were they built by the same people like Bush River Mall was too?

Why not Target or Costco? Columbia already probably has more Wal-Marts per capita than the average Southern city; let's think beyond Wal-Mart if it ABSOLUTELY has to be a big box retailer to revitalize an area.

Target never should have left Decker. Costco would be wonderful. I won't shop at Sam's Club because of my disdain for Walmart so an alternative would be nice.

I agree we have enough Wal-Marts in the area, and will have more than enough once the Bush River Road and Killian ones are built. Can't we get a little more creative with our retail mix? I would love a Costco - it's the Target of warehouse clubs. I would imagine if places like Greensboro and Winston-Salem have a Costco, it's a matter of time before we get one. The only ones in SC are in Charleston and Myrtle Beach (C'mon, Coscto, there is a market in SC outside the "sophisticated" transplant-saturated coast!).

I am also watching Best Buy's and Staples' moves - will they hold out near Columbia Place/Decker or bail for far Northeast Richland along with the other stores like Circuit City, Target, etc.?

Is the big move to the far Northeast area necessary? In the last year both Rhodes Furniture and Office Max moved to the area from the Columbia Place area and now have gone out of business. I also agree that Target should have remained on Decker.

Is the big move to the far Northeast area necessary? In the last year both Rhodes Furniture and Office Max moved to the area from the Columbia Place area and now have gone out of business. I also agree that Target should have remained on Decker.

Those moves had nothing to do with them going out of business.......Although Rhodes had closed the store not even a month after they moved it.....they should've known their funds were low before hand.....but Office Max just decided to close all stores in the Columbia area period. But look at it this way.....the other stores that remain on Decker/Parklane dont have as much competition.....Staples, Superpetz, etc.

All I have to say is come on over to the Columbia Place Mall thread and ask what you want about the mall and I'm here to fill you in. Off topic from Columbia Place.

Best Buy on Two Notch has no plans on leaving the area and it's in works to replace the old "Toys R Us" surrounding the mall.

Surveying has been going on for a couple of weeks at the old JCPenney space and the words said is "We're really close".

Archived