So, what's so great about Nashville?

it's just dave

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be too hard on heckles because he wants to move. I have lived in places I hated but I always made the best of it. :mellow: Its all a matter of taste. Nashville may be too small for him and his lifestyle. On the reverse side of the issue, there are a lot of people I have met that despise NY City, L.A., Atlanta, etc. :(

Just dont be too hard on us when you are gone and remember the good times and the people you met in Nashville. They all could not have been bad, otherwise you would have gone totally crazy. :wacko:

Never met you, but boy have I heard a lot about you from Dave. just kidding :lol:

Just to clarify, I want everyone to know that heckles is a very nice man. He and I have gone 'round and 'round before on our differing opinions and that's fine. We also have common ground which we've discovered and has made me want to wish him well wherever he ends up.

I understand that this city is perfect for me, but isn't for everyone. It would be a mighty crowded place otherwise.

I've said it before and will again to others, I'm sure. When you're in your 20s, that's the time to explore and discover for oneself the positive points of being free to challenge an environment and search for something that fits. Being a native southerner, it's in my nature to put up my dukes when someone says something about my "mama, Nashville." It's only natural.

I'm glad I copied Brandon's post on here. For one, his intelligence becomes as obvious as his need/desire for a change. I did it. I moved away to New York City, then to Los Angeles, but when the time came for me to land somewhere for the long term, I came home and home I will stay. Never, never would I discourage someone to stay and not realize certain dreams. Perhaps, as dreams change, locations will again change. Believe me, while a 20-something I was never happier than walking the streets of NY, living in Manhattan, working, shopping in the little stores, eating in the small restaurants and becoming familiar with people in the small neighborhood bars and bistros of Greenwich Village. Subways were a way of life as was walking. I'll never forget it, and Brandon, I hope you choose one of the limited choices for such a life on this continent, Toronto, Chicago, New York, Philly...not much else before a certain sameness begins to take over. Go for the big gusto, man, you'll never regret it.

Folks, and I've said this before, and as much as I like to give heckles a hard time, I hope in not too many years, he'll return and put that head of his to work for the betterment of our town because sometimes we get complacent and satisfied, and that is certainly not the best route to positive change. A toast to the young, we look forward to your contributions.

But for now, I'm going to take a nap. And Brandon, give 'em hell out there.

Well said Dave and I concur on every point. Brandon is a great guy. Even though he and I differ on some opinions, we can agree to disagree in a professional and mature way.

Thanks Heckles for everything, and come down to the next meet. I would love to shake your hand and say good luck to ya!

But for now, I'm going to take a nap. And Brandon, give 'em hell out there.

You sure do take a lot of naps :lol:

And to heckles, Good luck and look forward to maybe meeting you at one of the forum meets. I might have missed it, but were are you moving to?

Dave, I don't really know why you bothered to copy my comments on here. I'm not offended, but I do think they were to be used as a punching bag, more or less. And you thought that I wouldn't actually read the comments, so it'd be a full assault with no rebuttal.

This discussion began on SSP under a different context. For those of you who do not visit SSP, a person who I have met at a forum meet who lives outside Pittsburgh requested a discussion about living conditions in Nashville. Anyone who visits SSP knows that I haven't even bothered commenting about Nashville's projects except once or twice since probably fall of last year. But when I saw a person that I've met in real life from a forum meet requested more information, I thought it was worthy to give him an opinion. And its not an opinion who doesn't know Nashville, I grew up barely 60 miles from downtown. I've lived in the city, I still go to the city on a regular basis (practically every weekend).

So basically, my comments were a discussion directed toward an individual who specifically asked a question.

...with that said... let the Nashville Pride Parade continue. I really don't intend on more posts here at Urban Planet. This forum is very southern-centric and I have interests elsewhere.

And Dave, I'm not an idealistic kid. We've met several times before, so you know my personality somewhat. My reason for not moving at this point in life is purely financial. If I didn't have so many student loans, a car payment, and other various issues at play I would have been gone long ago. You met me in 2004 when I finished college. I've got more experience under my belt to actually secure a job worth having in a place I enjoy.

As far as coming back to Nashville, why would I? I've already experienced other cities. While I have technically lived in Tennessee all my 24 years, I've also spent many months in other cities getting a taste for what I want. Last year I spent a month in Pittsburgh. I've spent nearly 3 months of time in Toronto over the past few years (most of that in fall 2004).

This isn't some idealistic game, its what I want. I have a genuine disagreement on quality of life - among other things - that is offered here.

And where am I moving to? Chicago. I also spent time in Chicago back in 2004, but was unable to secure a decent job because of the experience issue.

But those days are over. I can't put a time frame on it, but I've started recently applying for jobs. I'm assuming its going to take a few months before I find something and get a good offer worth moving for. Will I move in June, July, or later? Will I move at the end of May? Who knows. All I know is that conditions are far different now then they were a few years back.

My time has come, I've worked hard to be where I am, and I'm glad to be getting the heck out of here.

'Nuff said. If you guys can enjoy living here, then to each his own.

Now you can go back to cracking jokes that I need a woman to lay me, that I'm in some looney bin mentality from Berkeley, or that I've somehow got mental issues because I can't accept this city in the same light. You can call me an elitist, even if I've never made a wealthy income in my life and grew up in rural Tennessee. Hell, if all it takes to be "elitist" is to refuse to put one of those silly Jesus stickers on your car and proclaim your love of GOD every 60 seconds, then call me elitist all day if you want! Say whatever you want. If it makes you feel better, go for it.

A disagreement is simply a disagreement: nothing more, and nothing less. I've met too many former Nashvillians who don't live here anymore that agree with my point of view. Of course people who choose to move here and live here won't feel the same as other people.

A punching bag? lol. Yeah, maybe. Not expecting you to read it? Not a chance. Sometimes it just takes a little punch to bring you around to let us know you're doing alright.

So, for whatever it's worth, I know you'll get out there and be good at whatever you do, Brandon. This forum is large and I believe deserves an introduction to you, one of the longest posting members of the urban discussion community.

I see a refined, more determined heckles, and I'm glad to see that. So, don't be angry (and I don't think you are), get out there and do what you need to do.

There's a lot of developing ideas that'll come from this young man that we'll maybe never hear, and that's a shame.

Break a leg, heckles.

I wish you all well, and if its another year before I post here at UP, oh well. If I never post again, then farewell.
Oh my, a ghost from the past. It's good to hear from you again B.

Well actually I will miss your posts. I wish you well in Chicago and as you know, I've always encouraged you to move to where you would be happy. I hope Chicago does it for you. I do hope you post here more, if not, then have a good life in your new diggs.

• 2 months later...

sorry to dig up a old thread but I had some questions specifically for William.

I live in south florida now :sick: and plan to move to Nashville when I finish my degree in Computer Science. My mother is currently living in Antioch and the wife and kid and I will live with her and help her with bill until we get sorted.

My question is though eventually I want to live in a more urban area in nashville, I am originally from NYC and prefer a more urban vibe than suburban.

Where is a good place in nashville which is urban, mixed community (ethnic, religious etc) I would like a place that has muslims as my family is muslim.

Any help would be apprecaited. I will be there in November and plan to check out any of the places suggested here when I reach.

P.S.

Are sportbikes big in nashville? My brothers and I ride and hope to hook up with fellow riders

:blink: OH goodness yes! I have to pass them ALL THE TIME when I'm driving! An expecially good place is near Percy Warner Park in Southern Davidson Co.

Good stuff,

I hope to get a good feel for the place in November. If I can find a I.T. job there next summer I will move there that is, IF I like what I see this November, other wise im Brooklyn bound.

Only other thing that freaks me about about Nashville is the tornados. How many deaths you guys get from these things? Do they hit at night?

sorry to dig up a old thread but I had some questions specifically for William.

I live in south florida now :sick: and plan to move to Nashville when I finish my degree in Computer Science. My mother is currently living in Antioch and the wife and kid and I will live with her and help her with bill until we get sorted.

My question is though eventually I want to live in a more urban area in nashville, I am originally from NYC and prefer a more urban vibe than suburban.

Where is a good place in nashville which is urban, mixed community (ethnic, religious etc) I would like a place that has muslims as my family is muslim.

Any help would be apprecaited. I will be there in November and plan to check out any of the places suggested here when I reach.

P.S.

Are sportbikes big in nashville? My brothers and I ride and hope to hook up with fellow riders

Although I am not William, I do have some Muslim friends so I thought I might add something. The main mosque is in the 12 South Neighborhood which also has a fairly urban vibe to it. I don't know how many Muslims actually live there, my Muslim friends lived in Bellvue and Franklin.

Only other thing that freaks me about about Nashville is the tornados. How many deaths you guys get from these things? Do they hit at night?

Yes we do run the risk of Tornadoes. I know that the tornado that went through Goodlettsville, Hendersonville, and Gallatin in April caused 9 deaths. It is important to remember that these types of storms don't happen often, as the last big tornado to hit the area before that was in 1998 when downtown and East Nashville took a hit. I have been told and also read that most tornadoes occur between the hours of 1 and 4 pm, and VERY RARELY occur at night. Also, Nashville does a good job covering severe weather on both TV and radio, and gets warnings to areas with possible tornadoes in plenty of time to find shelter. IMO I would rather live in Tennessee and run the risk of Tornadoes once every few years compared to several hurricanes every year in Florida. There is a risk in living anywhere, and Tennessee does not have more of a risk than anywhere else - I hope this helps.

You mentioned Antioch, so as a native, I thought I would let you know what your in for. Ethnic it is, urban it is not. You can find every ethniticity/religion, which provides some great grocery stores, resturants and the like. The communities(for the most part) are auto-centered. In many places walking is an extreme sport! :wacko: However, downtown access is quick and easy(besides the nightmare of I-24 rush hour). Bus service is limited, but possible. Crime is a problem, but not out-of-hand. It's a nice place to live, but I would keep it brief. JMO

Thanks guys,

I am using fast reply so if i dont address you by screen name I apologize before hand.

About tornados being better off than hurricans etc. You will get no argument from me there. I absolutly hate florida with a passion. I have hated it since I moved down here. I am brooklyn at heart but the job market sucks in NYC right now for I.T. atleast so going home doesnt seem to be a option. So I am looking to branch out.

I looked at Chicago and love it but the cold there is uncivilized. I went to atlanta and absolutly hated it. I lived in Fort Worth for a hot minute, loved the people and the jobs but hated the flat little house on the praire look of the place. My parents moved to tenn. and my mother says it reminds her of long island etc. and she is mega happy there. So im willing to try it out.

Also guys when I say urban I don't mean brooklyn urban cause I know the south just isnt built like that, atleast not yet. But I do want to be in the mix of things meaning I want to be no more than 10 minutes from a night out with the wife. Also any of you guys fly fish? Whats that like over there? I fell in love with fly fishing this year and I can't wait to give the water ways over there a try.

Also about Muslim areas, I think I will check out franklin.

So guys I need some more advice. As we say up north when I come over there I plan to "go hard" with the site seeing so I need to know any and every place that is worth going and what neighborhoods are the hot, young happening neighborhoods to see and live in.

I plan to see the civil war sites, I want to check out the best shopping you guys have to offer, definitly down town, and the zoo/aquarium. Not sure what else there is, any insite will help. Also what ethnic eateries do you guys have? I love indian/pakistani food. But don't mind trying something else if you guys know of any good spots

Again good looking out with the replies guys, please keep them coming!!!

Regarding Heckles original post...although I have a generally more positive outlook for the city as a whole, I can't find anything that he said about Nashville that was necessarily incorrect. Perhaps he gave it a more negative spin than the city deserves, but what about his opinions aren't at least partially true? It'll be hard to evolve into the wonderful progressive city that we want to be if we don't acknowledge the many clear and present faults we have.

Thanks guys,

I am using fast reply so if i dont address you by screen name I apologize before hand.

About tornados being better off than hurricans etc. You will get no argument from me there. I absolutly hate florida with a passion. I have hated it since I moved down here. I am brooklyn at heart but the job market sucks in NYC right now for I.T. atleast so going home doesnt seem to be a option. So I am looking to branch out.

I looked at Chicago and love it but the cold there is uncivilized. I went to atlanta and absolutly hated it. I lived in Fort Worth for a hot minute, loved the people and the jobs but hated the flat little house on the praire look of the place. My parents moved to tenn. and my mother says it reminds her of long island etc. and she is mega happy there. So im willing to try it out.

Also guys when I say urban I don't mean brooklyn urban cause I know the south just isnt built like that, atleast not yet. But I do want to be in the mix of things meaning I want to be no more than 10 minutes from a night out with the wife. Also any of you guys fly fish? Whats that like over there? I fell in love with fly fishing this year and I can't wait to give the water ways over there a try.

Also about Muslim areas, I think I will check out franklin.

So guys I need some more advice. As we say up north when I come over there I plan to "go hard" with the site seeing so I need to know any and every place that is worth going and what neighborhoods are the hot, young happening neighborhoods to see and live in.

I plan to see the civil war sites, I want to check out the best shopping you guys have to offer, definitly down town, and the zoo/aquarium. Not sure what else there is, any insite will help. Also what ethnic eateries do you guys have? I love indian/pakistani food. But don't mind trying something else if you guys know of any good spots

Again good looking out with the replies guys, please keep them coming!!!

I don't want to mislead you. Franklin does not have what would be considered "alot" of muslims, but there are some here. There are however alot of Christians that are very proud to outwardly show that you are Christian, that might get annoying to someone who is not Christian (depends on your temperment). Another thing my muslim friend complained about was the fact that the closest mosque is up in South Nashville or Murfresboro (he always said the Nashville one was alot better though). Just factors to keep in mind when considering Franklin.

I don't want to mislead you. Franklin does not have what would be considered "alot" of muslims, but there are some here. There are however alot of Christians that are very proud to outwardly show that you are Christian, that might get annoying to someone who is not Christian (depends on your temperment). Another thing my muslim friend complained about was the fact that the closest mosque is up in South Nashville or Murfresboro (he always said the Nashville one was alot better though). Just factors to keep in mind when considering Franklin.

Yea, I had some Muslim friends out in Wilson County and they absolutely hated it. I don't know if Nashville is like Memphis but the way it worked there was the city was mostly tolerant but the surrounding counties are bigoted towards Muslims, Hindus, Catholics, etc... Isn't there a Kurdish area in Nashville? I would think that area would have alot of Muslims. Not sure where Little Kurdistan is but I know there is a Halal (Kosher) meat market on Thompson Lane a little east of the Nolensville Road intersection in the same shopping center as Papa Johns.

Franklin is great, but if you're looking for anything even REMOTELY urban in any shape, form or fashion....steer clear. I do think that Franklin is fairly religously tolerant, however the poser-over the top-'Holier than thou' Christian levels are very high. There are a lot of people who think that they are the only people going to heaven because their kids went on a mission trip to Haiti, and that the bigger the steeple the better chance of going to heaven. West End, Hillsboro Village, the Gulch, and Germantown would all be good choices for semi-urban or even urban living.

Yea, I had some Muslim friends out in Wilson County and they absolutely hated it. I don't know if Nashville is like Memphis but the way it worked there was the city was mostly tolerant but the surrounding counties are bigoted towards Muslims, Hindus, Catholics, etc... Isn't there a Kurdish area in Nashville? I would think that area would have alot of Muslims. Not sure where Little Kurdistan is but I know there is a Halal (Kosher) meat market on Thompson Lane a little east of the Nolensville Road intersection in the same shopping center as Papa Johns.

Yup, as many of us know, Nashville has the largest number of Kurds out of any city in the Western Hemisphere, so I would think Nashville would be one of the better options for a Muslim. South Nashville, I think, is the best place to be in that regard.

Also any of you guys fly fish? Whats that like over there? I fell in love with fly fishing this year and I can't wait to give the water ways over there a try.

I guess this is my area....

Oh my yes, yes, YES !!! Google Caney Fork River for a preview of some of the best trout fishing you could imagine. This place is VERY scenic and normally is covered with fog until 9 am. You may think you're in paradise when you're standing in the river as the fog breaks while big browns and smallmouth are jumping. River is open 24x7; this is NOT one of those places where the bell rings at 7 am and people are lined up shoulder to shoulder - welcome to Tennessee! Things to know:

- trout area is below Center Hill Dam (to the Cumberland River, about 25 miles)

- Caney Fork River is about one hour east of DT Nashville

- fishing license and trout stamp required, you WILL be checked sometime

- limit is seven, catch and release is encouraged

- 18 inch min. on Brown Trout

- I estimate 60% are natural trout while 40% are stocked

- water is released from Center Hill Dam during electricity generation, so remember this website: http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/lakeinfo/default.htm and check the generation schedule, because when the water comes - you leave immediately as the river will quickly become a 'raging' river. (Not to scare you, but heed the warnings!). Generation schedule also available by phone: (615) 548-8581

- I normally arrive at daybreak and have my limit in < 2 hours

- normal stringer of fish range from 9-16 inches

- most of the river is accessible to fly fish, but the river does have some deeper holes

One can also go to Piercy Priest Lake (southeast Nashville) and fly-fish along the shore for blue-gill and bass. Also, fly-fishing below Old Hickory Dam for sauger/walleye is fair during the fall

Archived